• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Greg

I'm not reading any posts, but I'm just here to say that through 4 chapters, this game is ridiculous - the other 3 levels blow the demo level away, although I can see why they chose it.

Story and acting is the most natural thing I've seen in a video game... for once, I'm not embarrassed to be playing through a story and having the game sound like a soap opera.

Probably can't play the game again until Monday night, but holy shit... amazing.

Dragon

Banned
I'm on Chapter 20, and Greg let's just say you haven't seen anything yet. The production values on this game are friggin awesome. Seriously it's just seamless. That's the best way I can describe it,it just all works together so well.

sprocket

Banned
The game is soo underrated. In a market saturated with generic FPS. I dont see how this game wouldnt get high 9s across the board.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
alright everyone a heads up... I think the reason I didn't get a medal when i beat it on hard was because I used a different skin... I used the pirate about half way through, and naughty dog drake at the start. Although I took the pirate skin off after a while.

Captain N

msdstc said:
alright everyone a heads up... I think the reason I didn't get a medal when i beat it on hard was because I used a different skin... I used the pirate about half way through, and naughty dog drake at the start. Although I took the pirate skin off after a while.
I beat it on normal with Naughty Dog Drake and I got the medals for Easy & Normal.

Synless

msdstc said:

You sure you played it on hard???

Synless

msdstc said:
100%... I used the pirate skin, maybe that's why?
I wouldn't think that would affect it unless it's a nasty glitch shut off the skin and beat the last part of the game again with normal drake maybe that will do it, also check your medals and see if maybe you just missed it or blinked or something when it popped up.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Random thoughts:

The Spanish Fortress is a goddamn brilliant piece of level design. At first there were a few spots where I wished ND would just let me go to directly. But when you step back at the end of it and realize how they basically sent you crawling over the whole damn fortress and so you essentially did get to go everywhere you wanted to go...well played, ND. And the general authenticity of the fortress design...I love being up on the parapets. Nothing was wasted, everything was appreciated.

In the firefight down in the watery catacombs of the fortress, I was concentrating on a few enemies in front of me and I happen to look to my side for others. Sure enough there's a guy to my left and a bit behind me, slowly creeping towards me. I took a shot at him but it went wide - he immediately changed direction, went for cover and said "Almost had him". I think that's the first time I've seen a game AI try to go for a stealth kill rather than just start shooting as soon as it gets in visual range.

I love the tarnished silver effect used on some of the treasures. Made me do a doubletake at how realistic it looked. In general though, I wish the treasures had more in-game significance instead of unlocking mostly postgame bonuses.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Synless said:
I wouldn't think that would affect it unless it's a nasty glitch shut off the skin and beat the last part of the game again with normal drake maybe that will do it, also check your medals and see if maybe you just missed it or blinked or something when it popped up.

checked it's not there.

The baseball shirt code is:

left, right, down, up, triangle, R1, L1, square

Enter it on the costume select screen.

It's on a photo of a gold key I saved from earlier in this thread I think.

Narcosis

Just beat the game on Normal, a few thoughts:

-as everyone else is saying, awesome production values. Game looks great, and this is ND's first PS3 title? wow.

-Gunplay was good, but in comparison to the most similar equivalent, Gears of War, I didn't get the feeling oif the weapons having the same "impact". I dunno how to describe it, but it seemed more visceral in Gears. Maybe it's because the camera was a bit closer than in Uncharted, maybe it was because Gears was designed to be more graphically violent, whatever. This is more like a minor nit-pick than anything, the action is still awesome. I got quite a bit of satisfaction from perfecting 1 shot pistol headshots, and watching bodies fly around with Desert Eagle hits and explosive barrels was fun.

-The unlockables and replay incentives for this game are really good, Ninja Theory should have went this route with Heavenly Sword. I will gladly replay this several times just to see what stuff they threw in there.

late game spoilerage
-The segments in in the German base with the Spanish monsters was an expected twist, but I totally loved it. It reminded me of good survival horror at that point and the frantic nature of being swarmed by those things was intense. I thought the lighting tricks used in the dark areas with your little light on your belt was definetly something that could be used in the next Resident Evil or Silent Hill titles.

-The church battle, both inside and outside was probably the best fighting arena in the game, I actually wish they had made it longer. This area screams for a multiplayer map so badly.

-OK, here's where my main criticism comes into play: the final boss fight. I liked the 3 segments where you had to take out several dudes, but on that last platform when it;s just you and that goatee guy (what was his name? urgh....) I was not liking that battle at all. All it becomes is a test in trial and error and after dying quickly a few times I "got it", beat him quite easily and was like "That's it?" Really kind of a letdown for me, especially since the buildup to it had been great.
This is pretty much the only complaint I have about the game in general, this game is alot of fun and should definetly be played by every PS3 owner.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
After reading most impression on this thread dammit I cannot wait till get this game but alas I will not be able to get this game till at least Wednesday *Pay day* plus I will not be getting my new 1080p T.v till Monday so maybe thats a good thing. I want this game now!

JB1981

Narcosis said:
Just beat the game on Normal, a few thoughts:

-as everyone else is saying, awesome production values. Game looks great, and this is ND's first PS3 title? wow.

-Gunplay was good, but in comparison to the most similar equivalent, Gears of War, I didn't get the feeling oif the weapons having the same "impact". I dunno how to describe it, but it seemed more visceral in Gears. Maybe it's because the camera was a bit closer than in Uncharted, maybe it was because Gears was designed to be more graphically violent, whatever. This is more like a minor nit-pick than anything, the action is still awesome. I got quite a bit of satisfaction from perfecting 1 shot pistol headshots, and watching bodies fly around with Desert Eagle hits and explosive barrels was fun.

-The unlockables and replay incentives for this game are really good, Ninja Theory should have went this route with Heavenly Sword. I will gladly replay this several times just to see what stuff they threw in there.

late game spoilerage
-The segments in in the German base with the Spanish monsters was an expected twist, but I totally loved it. It reminded me of good survival horror at that point and the frantic nature of being swarmed by those things was intense. I thought the lighting tricks used in the dark areas with your little light on your belt was definetly something that could be used in the next Resident Evil or Silent Hill titles.

-The church battle, both inside and outside was probably the best fighting arena in the game, I actually wish they had made it longer. This area screams for a multiplayer map so badly.

-OK, here's where my main criticism comes into play: the final boss fight. I liked the 3 segments where you had to take out several dudes, but on that last platform when it;s just you and that goatee guy (what was his name? urgh....) I was not liking that battle at all. All it becomes is a test in trial and error and after dying quickly a few times I "got it", beat him quite easily and was like "That's it?" Really kind of a letdown for me, especially since the buildup to it had been great.
This is pretty much the only complaint I have about the game in general, this game is alot of fun and should definetly be played by every PS3 owner.

Yea I definitely agree with you about the ending. Bit of a letdown considering how awesome the buildup was. It felt rushed to me.

Synless

JB1981 said:
Yea I definitely agree with you about the ending. Bit of a letdown considering how awesome the buildup was. It felt rushed to me.
I'll agree as well, I don't know about it being rushed but it just kinda fell flat, only weakpoint of this game imo.

SaitoH

Picked up the game at Futureshop this afternoon. Got a drink, a blanket, the DTS sound cranked up, and I'm ready to go!

=D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
but in comparison to the most similar equivalent, Gears of War, I didn't get the feeling oif the weapons having the same "impact". I dunno how to describe it, but it seemed more visceral in Gears.
You really think so? The weapons in Gears, in comparison, really don't do nearly as much damage. You have to fill up most enemies with tons of bullets to take them down. In Uncharted a single well placed shot will kill your target.

dark10x said:
You really think so? The weapons in Gears, in comparison, really don't do nearly as much damage. You have to fill up most enemies with tons of bullets to take them down. In Uncharted a single well placed shot will kill your target.

yep

...to me combat in Uncharted is even more visceral because of

a. you give a damn about your protagonist....this is further reinforced by his reactions on the screen

b. He's not a commando nor does he carry himself like one....I actually used to criticize the animation they used for when he would fire assault rifles....now I love it because it just emphasizes Nathan's "common-man....ness"

c. ... with a combination of the outstanding AI, animations, sound design, etc. ...EVERY firefight in Uncharted feels like a cinematic experience,

d. ...Im more connected to the gunplay when i'm firing real world weapons and not a crowd pleaser with a chainsaw attached to it...

....just my thoughts

Greg

Just saw the Uncharted commercial on Fox HD while watching the Packers game.

Looked so fucking good with both in and out of game footage... great commercial!

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Greg said:

Looked so fucking good with both in and out of game footage... great commercial!

Dammit! Are they posted online yet?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Greg said:

I saw it while watching the colts game... VERY good commercial.

On another note, played uncharted from the part where I used the pirate skin to the end, beat it on hard again, and this time actually got the reward. Now I'm having trouble getting the 1 punch kills reward, I sware I'm doing it right :(.

Tieno

dark10x said:
I think he's more talking about the combo of sound design, gun effects, gore and gibbing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I just made to chapter 10. I'd have having a better time if the game WOULD STOP LOCKING THE FUCK UP!

This shit really grinds my gears.

Kintaro said:
I just made to chapter 10. I'd have having a better time if the game WOULD STOP LOCKING THE FUCK UP!

It only locked up on me once and it was in Chapter 15.. and I had just hit a checkpoint, so I didn't lose anything. I have also updated to 2.0.

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sprocket said:
bad disk?

No clue. I dunno. I'm letting my system cool down for awhile though. I cleaned the disc, so it shouldn't be there. Someone else was having troubles with lock ups in this thread as well. I had lock up problems with the demo too. This is the only chapter that's done it so far. =( Brings my piss to a boil.

dfyb

Banned
try adjusting certain display options. my demo never locked up. there was one instance in the full game where i died and it never spawned me again (froze at a black screen).

Wollan

Greg said:

They were supposed to put it on the PlayStation Blog but we're still waiting.
If anyone know of a place where this is uploaded then report pronto.

SSM25

Kintaro said:

I'm on chapter 13, never had this issue

Did you try turning off the news thingy in the XMB?

That aside, i'm really having a lot of fun with this game. The graphics, the jeep chase, the jet ski scene, the gun play, the platforming, and specially the sound is SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Kittonwy

Banned
ADIOS ASSHOLE

Ima finished on Hard rawr.

AFW.

RAWR.

VERY SATISFYING RAWR.

Indifferent2.gif

JB1981

Kintaro said:
No clue. I dunno. I'm letting my system cool down for awhile though. I cleaned the disc, so it shouldn't be there. Someone else was having troubles with lock ups in this thread as well. I had lock up problems with the demo too. This is the only chapter that's done it so far. =( Brings my piss to a boil.

Kept happening to me on Chapter 13. I even swapped disks and it still happened. Ultimately, I had to go back and replay through Chapter 12 and create a new save. I think it's FW 2.0 or maybe the game is buggy.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tieno said:
I think he's more talking about the combo of sound design, gun effects, gore and gibbing.

It's really more gibbing, the damn lancer examplifies the pea-shooter, granted automatic machine guns in Uncharted are similarly under-powered. I'm not even sure if Gears has the nicer shotgun other than the gibbing, getting shot at by the shotgun in Uncharted you can really feel the sense of danger, especially towards the end. On the whole Uncharted is just a sweeter game, end boss in Gears is just so totally fucking lame, grenades in Gears are totally lame other than closing up locust holes.
Indifferent2.gif

JB1981

I can't remember the last time I played a game where I enjoyed my time with characters this much.

I would love to see a sequel. Drake, Elena and Sully are fucking cool. Also, anyone who says that strong character development isn't crucial to a good game experience, hasn't played this game.
I actually worried about Elena's well-being by the end of the game.
It sounds kind of sad but it's true. I grew attached to these guys and it made the experience that much richer.

the_id

I don't know if i should mention this...but what the fuck:

I JUST FINISHED PLAYING THE DEMO!!!!! OMG, BEST DEMO EVER!!!!!!

I died several times though. but it wasn't frustrating. and this was on easy. Shooters aren't my favs.

I like the platforming in that its not obvious which platform you need to jump on. how the rocks blend into the environment and how the game tries to give you hints by tapping L2.

Kittonwy

Banned
the_id said:
I don't know if i should mention this...but what the fuck:

I JUST FINISHED PLAYING THE DEMO!!!!! OMG, BEST DEMO EVER!!!!!!

I died several times though. but it wasn't frustrating. and this was on easy. Shooters aren't my favs.

I like the platforming in that its not obvious which platform you need to jump on. how the rocks blend into the environment and how the game tries to give you hints by tapping L2.

The final game is like a googleplex times better than the demo rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom