• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
dfyb said:
elena reminded me a lot of alyx in half-life 2 (sully acts a lot like elena, so yeah). no better, no worse.

this goes for uncharted and every other game: i think it would do a lot for them to create more interaction between your partners during a firefight. it would be cool if they'd say "i'll distract them" and then pop out guns blazing and attracting enemy fire, giving you a chance to take out a few guys -- similarly, they could say "distract them for me" and it would then be your job to pop out first. it would also be cool if they handed you ammo etc.

i definitely wouldn't say uncharted was below the curve in this aspect, but i think uncharted 2 has a good opportunity to raise the bar when it comes to partner AI.

I wouldn't mind if they go "little help over here" or "look out behind you", I wouldn't want the whole thing too scripted though, I think right now the companion AI in Uncharted is in a really great place.

careksims

Kittonwy said:
Treasure hunts? Do you mean like a new location or something?

I don't want no J&D game, I want Uncharted 2.
Indifferent2.gif

I 2nd that. I was saying to myself "I DON'T WANT Jak and Daxter next gen!" I want another Uncharted or a new series from these guys. I do love the buddy AI. No need to babysit them. It's funny because there were scenes that we thought were cut scenes and wonder why Drake wasn't moving and we're like OH! and started moving him. It happened several times. Kept getting fooled lol.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
What little we saw of Sony's Eight Days featured that kind of interaction. Would be cool to see that title. After playing Uncharted, that Eight Days target video, (esp. the animation and character builds) which used to seem too fantastic to be believed, actually seems totally plausible.

Yeah I think the potential is there, IF London Studios can do that whole seamless creative cover thing that Naughty Dog managed to nail in Drake's Schicksal, it's a tall order though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ok, this is getting stupid. The game is borderline unplayable for me because it continues to lock up. Chapter 12 now and bam, there it is again. I dunno what it is, I know it's not widespread, but it's unacceptable. =(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kintaro said:
Ok, this is getting stupid. The game is borderline unplayable for me because it continues to lock up. Chapter 12 now and bam, there it is again. I dunno what it is, I know it's not widespread, but it's unacceptable. =(

Try backing up your HD and then reformatting it?

dfyb

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I wouldn't mind if they go "little help over here" or "look out behind you", I wouldn't want the whole thing too scripted though, I think right now the companion AI in Uncharted is in a really great place.
like HL2, i'd basically ignore the partner. there was no interaction -- they were just there. like HL2, they're also invincible and never express any real danger.

it's not bad, but i'd like more.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
alright alright just got dyno-might... All I have to do now is find all the treasures or whats left to collect, and beat it on crushing.

oh yah, anybody know what the hidden medal under dyno-might is?

the_id

Kintaro said:
Tape it. post it up at youtube, send it to sony and naughty dog. you'll either get a new PS3 from sony or a fresh copy from ND.

doubt it will work though, but you could start a fire in the internets.

lupinko

Just beat it earlier today, this game is full of so much WIN. <3 <3 <3 ND

I would be replaying it on Hard and then later on Crushing, but I already set Ratchet aside in anticipation for Uncharted for so long already, so it's time for me to give Lombax and Robot a go! :D

P.S. I did find one ledge that causes Drake to freeze in one place after jumping onto it (I promptly just restarted from a checkpoint), and while I was raising one of the gates, it showed a white blank in place of the scenery for 1 or 2 seconds before that area's graphics loaded in. lol

Hey it may not be perfect, but it's definitely a diamond in the rough for me. =)

EDIT: Screw metaphors, one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a LONG time. XD

Kintaro

reilo said:
Try backing up your HD and then reformatting it?

Hmm, I guess I could try... Can you back up your profiles and such without having to reenter the information again?

Edit: It is probably the firmware? Man, this is shitty.

Kintaro said:
Hmm, I guess I could try... Can you back up your profiles and such without having to reenter the information again?

I just did this myself (I installed a larger hard drive and needed to xfer all my games) -- all your profile and preference stuff is stored in the PS3 firmware itself. If you use the System Settings / Backup Utilities it'll back up all your movies, music, downloaded games, and saved games to a USB drive, memory stick, whatever.

But first, did you try simply starting the game on the chapter before the lockup? That seemed to work for some people.

You could also post on the official Sony boards... might reach them easier than YouTube.

Kintaro

Lemming_JRS said:
But first, did you try simply starting the game on the chapter before the lockup? That seemed to work for some people.

Shit, THAT chapter was locking up too!

Awntawn

Chapter 20, I need a breath...

Oh FFS... Is it like fucking illegal now to make an action adventure game these days without having it go all
FUCKING SURVIVAL HORROR ON YOU???????????????????????////
I hate that shit >.>

Dante

Since nobody answered because it was spoilered possibly, can you activate laser sights on your weapons?

Also, Can you only play crushing mode on chapter select?

M3Freak

Banned
I finally found a copy of the game at Best Buy (in Brampton) today. It was $69.99, $10 more than at Future Shop, but I picked it up anyway (will price match later).

I've just gotten past the
exploding sub
and ran into
Elaina
. I know I'm not very far into the game, but:

1. HOLY SHEEETS, MY EYES BLEED FROM THE PUNCHES TO THE FACE WOWSOMENESS.
2. The lighting is superb - shadows everywhere. YEAH!
3. AWESOME sound. So far, I'm not experiencing the volume problem I have in R&C. Very atmospheric.
4. The story rocks - excellently written (the little I've experienced).
5. The
sub
was the first wow moment for me. Sweet vista, nice waterfall, and climbing around was fun.

The game is seriously impressive.

JB1981

Kintaro said:
Shit, THAT chapter was locking up too!
i had to go back and replay the game from an earlier chapter and created a new save. it locked up on my EVERY TIME in chapter 13. doing this solved the problem though

JB1981

i found the textures to be a bit of a mixed bag - absolutely amazing in some areas and downright muddy in others.

i think assassins creed, for instance, has better texture work overall

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
JB1981 said:
i found the textures to be a bit of a mixed bag - absolutely amazing in some areas and downright muddy in others.

i think assassins creed, for instance, has better texture work overall

JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.

:mad:

JB1981

Dante said:
:lol Next gen mode looks pretty cool actually.
i beat the game on hard, how the hell do i play in next-gen mode? do i need to find a certain number of treasures or something?

reilo: have you played assassins on the 360? The texture work is incredible

Dante

JB1981 said:
i beat the game on hard, how the hell do i play in next-gen mode? do i need to find a certain number of treasures or something?

You have to have a certain number of medals to unlock it in the rewards section, not sure how many it is exactly, playing it mirrored with the next gen filter, and a new enemy skin with fast motion feels like a totally different game

Kittonwy

Banned
Awntawn said:
Any other console games out that use it yet? I have honestly never seen anything close >.>

A lot of console games use this technique these days, it's just that Naughty Dog does a better job with it, or with most graphical techniques in general.

vpance

Theres so much variety in the texture work throughout the game. Every area has a completely different feel and mood to it as a result. The specularity and shading is awesome.. marble reflects a bit, wet stone glints, the water in between the tiles, and on and on. They didnt miss anything.

vpance said:
Theres so much variety in the texture work throughout the game. Every area has a completely different feel and mood to it as a result. The specularity and shading is awesome.. marble reflects a bit, wet stone glints, the water in between the tiles, and on and on. They didnt miss anything.

yes the texture work is UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE....and this coming from someone who goes back and forth between console and PC games quite alot

....I also think that all of them are hand drawn and none of them are scanned....yes?

AgentOtaku said:
anyone here noticed on their audio receiver that the game defaults to DTS :D :D :D

SOOOO GOOOOD

Yeah, I mentioned this lat night/early morning. The DTS track is sooooooo good, and rocks so hard, that after the Jeep and 1st Jetski missions, (which I played through at 3AM,) I was really worried about my subwoofer keeping up all my neighbors. Those grenade launcher shots THUMP!

SRG01

I just got it at Future Shop. The salesperson thought that it was still gonna be released on the 19th, so he checked with a supervisor. He came back and said it was bumped up to today and just gave me the game. :D

I have to say this after playing chapter 4, and I make no exaggeration here: this is probably the best game I've played since God of War 2. Holy shit. Looks great. Plays great. And it has a sense of desperation in it once you get into the combat.

And the SIXAXIS + grenade throwing was a good touch. Non-gimmicky and actually makes sense. Is there a invert vertical option for the SIXAXIS though? I always end up turning the controller the wrong way. :lol

In fact, this game is so good that I'm going to cancel my CoD4 + AC bundle from Best Buy! I'll be too busy with this game! :D

jmd494

What did everyone think of the twist?

(MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU'RE NOT AT THE VERY END)...don't say I didn't warn you:

What did you think of the monsters. At first I almost had a heart attack...but they overdid it by making them continue to come too often and the effect quickly wore off.

Also, the final boss fight was CRAZY HARD (when it's just one v. one). I died like 35 - 40 times in a row (in about 10 minutes)

I'm still not happy with the frame rate, but I'm having a lot more fun than with the final version than I thought I would based on the demo. The Medals definitely have something to do with it, but so does the pacing of the first few levels, which eases you into the firefights. Something about achievements (or fake achievements in this case) is just extremely appealing to me on some level that I don't fully understand.

Also, Naughty Dog has done a very good job with the story and the characters. I'm not looking for high fiction here, and they've done a good job of balancing the serious with the fun, like a good Indiana Jones movie.

I can't wait to finish it up tomorrow, and I'm sure I'll jump right back on Hard to finish up the medals as soon as I finish the game.

Quick question - what are the large breakable jars scattered throughout the levels?

Raziel

Holy crap, I'm on my second playthrough and I just did the jeep sequence. It was so hectic the first time around that I didn't notice that your gunfire cuts down the trees. ND are gods.

Geoff9920

Justin Dailey said:
What did everyone think of the twist?

(MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU'RE NOT AT THE VERY END)...don't say I didn't warn you:

What did you think of the monsters. At first I almost had a heart attack...but they overdid it by making them continue to come too often and the effect quickly wore off.

Also, the final boss fight was CRAZY HARD (when it's just one v. one). I died like 35 - 40 times in a row (in about 10 minutes)
I don't think the boss fight was that bad. You just stay in cover until he lowers his gun to talk smack. Then, slowly make your way from cover to cover until you're close enough to hit him.

jmd494

Anyone have advice on how to get the steel fist medal? God it's hard.

Easy: You shoot them once and one punch doesn't kill them. You shoot them twice, they die.

Medium: You shoot them twice and one punch doesn't kill them. You shoot them three times, they die.

Hard: You shoot them three times and one punch doesn't kill them. You shoot them four times, they die.

How the hell are you supposed to do this 5 times in a row?

And also, do running jump kicks/jump-punches count as one punch?

Kittonwy

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
Anyone have advice on how to get the steel fist medal? God it's hard.

Easy: You shoot them once and one punch doesn't kill them. You shoot them twice, they die.

Medium: You shoot them twice and one punch doesn't kill them. You shoot them three times, they die.

Hard: You shoot them three times and one punch doesn't kill them. You shoot them four times, they die.

How the hell are you supposed to do this 5 times in a row?

And also, do running jump kicks/jump-punches count as one punch?

You run up to them, press R1 to shoot from the hip and then immediately follow up with a punch, you'll perform a flying punch in the face. Do it five times in a row.

Yes it's possible since I've done it on hard and I'm obviously no hardcore gamer.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom