• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

YYZ

Synless said:
First run too!!! seriously just search around the corners of the environments and your bound to find them. but seriously the last 7 are gonna be a bitch to find because now I have to start from the beginning and search every nook and cranny to try and find these damn things!!!!!!!! I must unlock everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait for my FAQ, it's hot :D

Belfast said:
That was another thing. A lot of people trash the melee combat, but this isn't a brawler. Using melee is a *tactical choice.* It can net you more ammo for taking a bit of a risk and you should know better when there are too many enemies around for you to completely avoid getting shot.

the Melee combat is crap tho. The execution is Flawed they could have made it a bit more intuitive without sacrificing the strategy in deciding when to use it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SolidSnakex said:
It's like the same shit in almost every Uncharted review. "Wow this game is really good. But it doesn't do anything new.". So what? Why is this suddenly in any way a good reason for knocking a game?

They had no problem giving COD4 a 9.4 and Halo 3 a 9.8[!].

Dragon

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
wtf is wrong with you guys the GT reviews made the game sound really awesome.

the review seemed really fair....you guys need to stop being so sensitive.

Really fair? It's not consistent at all with their other reviews. In fact they trashed AC in their review and rated it a 9.1.

Honestly I don't really care about the score, but the consistency is terrible. If you're going to knock a game for not doing anything new (what game has a better balance between production/story/voice acting and gameplay than Uncharted?) and completely switching up the gameplay 2/3's of the way through the story then you're being ridiculous.

Dragon

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
the Melee combat is crap tho. The execution is Flawed they could have made it a bit more intuitive without sacrificing the strategy in deciding when to use it.

More intuitive? They friggin tell you which buttons to press. YOu're just not supposed to use it except for certain situations unless you really want to make it harder on yourself.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:

The melee isn't crap at all, how is square, triangle, square not intuitive? If they dumb it down anymore by taking out the timing it would be a complete button masher. It's timing based that there's some skill involved but they make it easy enough to get into, all the combos are listed in the manual.

Synless

reilo said:
That's what Im saying how can all these games get such high scores and uncharted which was just as good if not better, yet it scores lower and why? because it doesn't have leadership boards or a multiplayer feature..........I think these people don't understand that not all games need to be fucking online or have online features. That's why I bitch about the score.

Basically, production values and craftsmanship are not getting the credit that they relative to other reviews should get. In a sane world, I'd say these reviews and accompanying scores seem fair, but since everything is relative it does seem like they are grasping for opportunities to cut it down a peg. Don't know why, but it's pretty blatant at this point. But not to worry, these standards never remain the same for long. I'm sure an '08 game that does nothing new will have no problem overcoming that apparently critical flaw.

reilo said:

That's my entire issue with this sudden "Oh but it's not original" nonsense. If you want to take off points for a game not being original, then that's fine but don't just pick and choose which games should be docked points for it. Do it across all games no matter what.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
wtf is wrong with you guys the GT reviews made the game sound really awesome.

the review seemed really fair....you guys need to stop being so sensitive.

If you've actually played the game, you would know the review is bullshit and is hardly fair at all. The fact that they made the enemies seem like they're dumb, which they're not, and that the only merit comes from their numbers is FALSE and is bullshit, the enemies exhibit smarter routines than a lot of shooters out there, they constantly outflank Drake in addition to trying to pin him down and while moving in on his position, the companion AI is especially smart in that Elena and Sully hold their own, draw enough fire, use cover, do take out enemies but don't make it too easy, and never get in the player's way is a very rare example of companion AI done RIGHT.

Synless

Kittonwy said:
If you've actually played the game, you would know the review is bullshit and is hardly fair at all. The fact that they made the enemies seem like they're dumb, which they're not, and that the only merit comes from their numbers is FALSE and is bullshit, the enemies exhibit smarter routines than a lot of shooters out there, they constantly outflank Drake in addition to trying to pin him down and while moving in on his position, the companion AI is especially smart in that Elena and Sully hold their own, draw enough fire, use cover, do take out enemies but don't make it too easy, and never get in the player's way is a very rare example of companion AI done RIGHT.

I also agree with you on this, I've died more times in this game then any game I can think of in recent history, playing this game on hard was a blast and I felt the A.I. was incredible especially when you try to compare it to certain first person shooters or some other action games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kabuki Waq said:

I disagree here, but I can see how someone would come to this thought. Melee is just awesomely satisfying in this game once you learn how to do it (it's pretty piss easy unless you hurry and do it in the middle of firefights) Could you expand on how you don't think it's intuitive?

Raziel

Kittonwy said:
WOW. What a bullshit review. And the comment section is worse.

He talked like he didn't even play the game. AI IS smart when they use cover and actively flank the player, hand-to-hand combos aren't limited to a three-hitter, especially with stuff like gunslinger, steel-fist, drop kick and stealth kill. And complaining about online and leaderboards? Where the fuck are online and leaderboards in Ass Creed, why don't you fucking nail Ass Creed for not having those? Man, they just can't seem to get a fucking break.

Indifferent2.gif
GT can't really afford to step on any toes, or else they might not be privy to things like exclusive post-release Jade Raymond interviews on Bonus Round...

Kintaro said:
I disagree here, but I can see how someone would come to this thought. Melee is just awesomely satisfying in this game once you learn how to do it (it's pretty piss easy unless you hurry and do it in the middle of firefights) Could you expand on how you don't think it's intuitive?

i love how they complain about, crappy AI (LOL) and only 1 h2h combo.

Kittonwy

Banned
Synless said:
I also agree with you on this, I've died more times in this game then any game I can think of in recent history, playing this game on hard was a blast and I felt the A.I. was incredible especially when you try to compare it to certain first person shooters or some other action games.

Man I can't believe GT would low-ball the game like this, it's so blatantly obvious that they know exactly what they're doing with this review. If they were complaining about screen-tearing, fine, but none of what they were talking about were legitimate complaints. "Keedz and their gamerankings score" and all I think they knew exactly what their 8.9 review will do, a blatant effort to cut Uncharted out of the running for GOTY while propping up Jade Raymond's game.

reilo

Kittonwy said:
Man I can't believe GT would low-ball the game like this, it's so blatantly obvious that they know exactly what they're doing with this review. If they were complaining about screen-tearing, fine, but none of what they were talking about were legitimate complaints. "Keedz and their gamerankings score" and all I think they knew exactly what their 8.9 review will do.

*Does a slide underneath GameTrailer's legs and cock-punches them*

No children for you!

Dragon

Banned
Blackace said:
The amount of crying in this thread is sickening.

It's crying to point out inconsistencies in gaming reviews? I'm sorry but I feel like most people have some viable complaints about most of these reviews.

Docked .5 for being on the PS3 indeed.

Synless

Blackace said:
When you can see journalism going down the shit hole it's not crying it's people who can see through the bullshit. Reviewers on these websites remind me of politics.....a bunch of twisted, jaded jackasses, they promise to be honest in there reviews but to be honest you can see there going out of there way to find any flaws in certain games.

reilo

Blackace said:

If you had played the game, you'd be crying bloody murder, too!

Yi > Durant

YYZ

Blackace said:
have you played through this game? The GT review is BULLSHIT, that's the only reason everyone is complaining. The score is good, but the review itself is complete bullshit. Like I said before, even though the scores are good, I have a feeling that the development community will appreciate this game more than reviewers.

Desiderus

Is this over a 8.9? I hope this reaches Twilight Princess Gamespot status.

edit: Reviews are always negative and pop in a good score at the end. Not like any of you listen to reviews anyway.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
sigh... carry on. NeoGAF swag should get custom fanboy console tissue box covers.

Jeff Green > Oden

reilo

This game is just too awesome to be reviewed like a second tier run-of-the-mill shooter.

Jeff Gr-who? Oh, Portland don't want him anyway. He's not from Seattle.

Dragon

Banned
Blackace said:
sigh... carry on. NeoGAF swag should get custom fanboy console tissue box covers.

Jeff Green > Oden

No offense, and I realize you're a mod, so I should kinda tiptoe around you, but what's the point of a post like that? This game is awesome and I don't see what's wrong with trying to see why it's not getting the praise it deserves.

Maggot9

Banned
Ohhh..so it's the actual review that's getting people's panties up in a bunch? I thought it was GT not giving this game AAA status. My mistake.

G-Bus

Banned
GT review has some funny bits but over all isn't bad i don't think. 8.9 is a good score.

"AI isn't smart"

ok?

"Hand to hand combat is a possibility, but we don't recommend it. Your basically relegated to 1, 3 hit combo and it can be almost impossible to get the timing right"

:lol This one really makes me wonder how much of this game they played.

It is nice to see a review actually compliment the game on how well it looks for once. Other than the typical "it's pretty".

Desiderus said:
Is this over a 8.9? I hope this reaches Twilight Princess Gamespot status.

edit: Reviews are always negative and pop in a good score at the end. Not like any of you listen to reviews anyway.

Ah, NM.

Broken record, etc.

Kittonwy

Banned
Maggot9 said:
Ohhh..so it's the actual review that's getting people's panties up in a bunch? I thought it was GT not giving this game AAA status. My mistake.

What panties? I wear my kilt like a scot.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
G-Bus said:
GT review has some funny bits but over all isn't bad i don't think. 8.9 is a good score.

"AI isn't smart"

ok?

"Hand to hand combat is a possibility, but we don't recommend it. Your basically relegated to 1, 3 hit combo and it can be almost impossible to get the timing right"

:lol This one really makes me wonder how much of this game they played.

It is nice to see a review actually compliment the game on how well it looks for once. Other than the typical "it's pretty".

The whole AI and melee comment made GT look like they haven't played the game.

Blackace

TheBranca18 said:
No offense, and I realize you're a mod, so I should kinda tiptoe around you, but what's the point of a post like that? This game is awesome and I don't see what's wrong with trying to see why it's not getting the praise it deserves.

Guess all big titles should just 10/10 100% A+ 5 out of 5 stars and all would be good! Heaven forbid that a few reviewers should not like the game for whatever reason.

We have a group of people who think Wii games get knocked and then we have the PS3 fans who swear that reviewers are shorting PS3 games.. the point is to see how silly it looks to get pissed off over an 88.5% score and whine and say it is at least a 90%!

And if the game is awesome it is awesome enjoy the ride, don't let a review ruin it for you...

reilo

Kittonwy said:
The whole AI and melee comment made GT look like they haven't played the game.

If you have gameplay tips on, it even tells you different combos during different stages of the fucking game!!!

Blackace said:
Guess all big titles should just 10/10 100% A+ 5 out of 5 stars and all would be good! Heaven forbid that a few reviewers should not like the game for whatever reason.

We have a group of people who think Wii games get knocked and then we have the PS3 fans who swear that reviewers are shorting PS3 games.. the point is to see how silly it looks to get pissed off over an 88.5% score and whine and say it is at least a 90%!

And if the game is awesome it is awesome enjoy the ride, don't let a review ruin it for you...

We aren't bitching about the score. We are bitching about the factual inaccuracies mainly. The fact that they call this "unoriginal" [they say in the beginning, "noone complained when Reese's combined peanutbutter and chocolate, and ND is trying to do the same by combining Tomb Raider with Gears of War"] and already selling it short eventhough this game is far more original than 90% of shit released this year. Not to mention it is one of the best game of the year and a serious GOTY contender.

Other shit such as "there is only one 3 hit combo for melee, don't use it!" is a complete and utter lie.

Also, the AI in this game? Unbelievably well done.

Awntawn

Blackace said:

Jeff Green > Oden
Games don't garner fanboys for no reason.

If anything can be said of the GT review, at least they're not blind and gave ND the credit they deserve for presentation. But they really low-balled the gameplay which was evident when they ignorantly dismissed the melee system that was clearly too complicated for them to comprehend, and when judged a game's AI after playing it on easy.

And yeah right :lol :lol

Blackace said:
But can they not decide to start making an example on select titles? Why are they allowed to generously overrate some games, but not for others?

Blackace

reilo said:
This game is just too awesome to be reviewed like a second tier run-of-the-mill shooter.

Jeff Gr-who? Oh, Portland don't want him anyway. He's not from Seattle.

J.T. is coming to make his cousin cry!

Kittonwy

Banned
reilo said:
If you have gameplay tips on, it even tells you different combos during different stages of the fucking game!!!

It's all in the manual, maybe there needs to be an in-game manual or something because people don't read manuals anymore.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Imho, GT reviews seem to be pretty shit in general, albiet well layed out and worded.

most of the time they time they pick on " what majority of people would call a positive" and turn it into a negative...almost every review of theres i have noticed this.

in there resistance fall of man review, they criticized the AI and stated that they just stand there and take hits like a sponge, and dont offer any team support or take cover.

which is in fact...bullshit o_O

and the uncharted review is another example of stupidity.

but hey they dont mention negatives of halo 3 and gears of war and etc etc.. LOLOLOLOlolOLol

reilo

Firewire said:
Kinda funny they went with an 8.9, I wonder what else would be required from the game to warrant a 9.0!

Leaderboards and achievements/gamerscore apparently. Two things that are completely arbitrary and do not change the game one bit. People need to review a game for what it is, not for what it should be.

Top Bottom