• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
What did everyone think of the twist?

(MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU'RE NOT AT THE VERY END)...don't say I didn't warn you:

What did you think of the monsters. At first I almost had a heart attack...but they overdid it by making them continue to come too often and the effect quickly wore off.

Also, the final boss fight was CRAZY HARD (when it's just one v. one). I died like 35 - 40 times in a row (in about 10 minutes)

Holy shit, really? Once you figured it out it's not that hard. But yeah, there isn't really a lot of margin for error in that encounter.

jmd494

Kittonwy said:
You run up to them, press R1 to shoot from the hip and then immediately follow up with a punch, you'll perform a flying punch in the face. Do it five times in a row.

Yes it's possible since I've done it on hard and I'm obviously no hardcore gamer.
Indifferent2.gif
Thank you very much

jmd494

Kittonwy said:
Holy shit, really? Once you figured it out it's not that hard.
I kept trying to roll/run everywhich way and at every possible timing and I kept getting instantly killed the second I moved.

Someone just mentioned on the previous page that he doesn't get you if you move slowly from cover...I'm not sure I would have ever tried that as it doesn't make any logical sense. I eventually found that if I rolled right before he blew up the box (third shot for each box) he wouldn't hit me. Weird / unsatisfying boss battle IMO...

I played the whole game on hard...and aside from this part, I didn't die more than 10 times from combat. Platforming / controller dropouts were another story though.

Dante

Justin Dailey said:
I kept trying to roll/run everywhich way and at every possible timing and I kept getting instantly killed the second I moved.

Someone just mentioned on the previous page that he doesn't get you if you move slowly from cover...I'm not sure I would have ever tried that as it doesn't make any logical sense. I eventually found that if I rolled right before he blew up the box (third shot for each box) he wouldn't hit me. Weird / unsatisfying boss battle IMO...

I played the whole game on hard...and aside from this part, I didn't die more than 10 times from combat. Platforming / controller dropouts were another story though.

Just remember Navarro shoots three quick bursts then there is a pause after the third shot before the forth. After the fourth is the time to pop out of cover.

I have a sorta cheat for getting by the second segment lemme know if you want it :)

Dante

Loudninja said:
Are you serious? :lol and already told you guys, I have to wait until December 25th

100% serious :lol They must read the forum.

Man that's a bummer, but you will have a merrier XMas for sure. Gonna have to bump this bad boy with your impressions.

The amazing thig about the treasure also is that they even have unique textures on the inside and bottom of them, with unique scrathes and markings.

One of the reasons I am getting all the secrets in this game and R&C is because I have pretty strong confidance both ND and R&C will have trophy room support.

jmd494

Dante said:
Just remember Navarro shoots three quick bursts then there is a pause after the third shot before the forth. After the fourth is the time to pop out of cover.

I have a sorta cheat for getting by the second segment lemme know if you want it :)

The final segment is where I got stuck. I'm through it now but it was painful.

Loudninja

Dante said:
100% serious :lol They must read the forum.

Man that's a bummer, but you will have a merrier XMas for sure. Gonna have to bump this bad boy with your impressions.

Thats cool, and weird!and yeah I will have a merry xmas, I am getting a HDTV,rumble controller, Ucharted,Ratchet,AC, and thats all really.:D Also thanks Justin Dailey :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Once again, from my impressions.

11/18/07 - 6:12pm - Chapter 13

Yeah, been awhile since the last update, but life tends to mess up good weekends. Anyways, I’ve advanced further into the game and there’s a good deal to update you on and talk about.

Progressing though the chapters, the game has thrown some new gameplay sequences at me, all of which I love to varying degrees. There is a sequence involving a speeding Jeep in an awesome chase that was just a blast to play through. This sequence was just amazing to look at it. As gorgeous as the environments look normally, it’s incredible that they made it look just as good as you speed through it at breakneck speeds. I’ll admit, I did get pumped up playing it.

The game also introduces a jet-ski as you progress into the game and that doesn’t get it quite as excited. So far, there’s been two chapters involving it; one of which is straight forward while the other is a little bit more frantic. During these bout of water fun, you drive the jet-ski as Nate while Elena shoots down explosive barrels that litter your path (insert barrel joke here) and baddies that spring up trying to gun you down. This last time you’re on the device was a little bit more frantic but due to the circumstances of the scene, the control of the jet-ski quickly becomes unwieldy. It reminded me of Wave Race 64, except I’m not racing and I’m trying to control this thing through a hail of bullets and barrels. It wasn’t exactly the most fun I’ve had with the game thus far.

One aspect of the game I truly feel deserves a ton of praise is the sound design. This is, bar none, the best sounding game on the market today. Coming through in DTS 5.1 surround sound, everything in the game comes to life with amazing clarity and excellent direction. Guns sounds powerful and ring out from all around you (alerting you to the possible location of the attacker), engines roar, speech is crisp. and environmental sounds envelope you completely. To top it all off, the soundtrack is outstanding with an exotic flair and a main theme that will truly define this franchise when it continues past this game. IF there were any sort of reputable “Soundtrack of the Year” award for games, Uncharted’s would be a nominee.

Now, I realize I’m heaping tons of praise on the game and that’s simply because it’s just that good. However, I (and others) have been running into a little problem. Lock ups. Especially through these chapters, I’ve been experiencing a ton of game lock ups that make progressing through the game right now a pain in the ass. The lock ups are random. Sometimes quick, sometimes you’ll think you’re free of them until they come back and kick you in the nuts. Most people believe this is due to the latest firmware from Sony (2.00) and there is already a fix on the way. Some solutions might be found in replaying a previous chapter and making a brand new save to continue and hope that works. Either way, I hope Sony sorts this out ASAP. Anything that keeps me from this game grinds my gears.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Justin Dailey said:

damn I got that guy in 2 tries, but died plenty before that. I didn't have any controller dropouts, but a few glitches did mess me up from time to time.

Dante

Justin Dailey said:
The final segment is where I got stuck. I'm through it now but it was painful.

Ahh yeah I died on that a few times, really my only complaint with the gameplay was the QTE stuff, not really any need for it in this game, the gunplay and melee is so satisfying you don't need no stinkin QTE's :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Justin Dailey said:

Here's how I did it:

Get into cover, wait for him to shoot the box twice, roll to the next box, he'll destroy your previous cover spot with his third shot, wait until he shoots your new cover twice, jump over to the box in front, he will once again destroy the box with his third shot, this time he will destroy your cover in two shots, run up to him and punch him, QTE is actually just the second and third hit of the brutal combo, cutscene, he leaps for the gun, run STRAIGHT up to him and punch him, brutal combo again, watch the ending.

For me it was challenging. I think in combat you cover more distance in the same amount of time running than rolling when you want to quickly close the distance. Drake runs faster when he's in combat.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
sorry to keep posting this, but I have one more medal besides treasure hunting and beating it on crushing.

It says Hidden medal, right under neath "dyno-might" anybody got this yet?

Belfast

Justin Dailey said:

I just rolled into new cover every time Navarro lowered his gun, which was about every two shots, I think. Rinse and repeat until you get close enough to pummel his ass.

jmd494

Kittonwy said:
Here's how I did it:

Get into cover, wait for him to shoot the box twice, roll to the next box, he'll destroy your previous cover spot with his third shot, wait until he shoots your new cover twice, jump over to the box in front, he will once again destroy the box with his third shot, this time he will destroy your cover in two shots, run up to him and punch him, QTE is actually just the second and third hit of the brutal combo, cutscene, he leaps for the gun, run STRAIGHT up to him and punch him, brutal combo again, watch the ending.

For me it was challenging. I think in combat you cover more distance in the same amount of time running than rolling when you want to quickly close the distance. Drake runs faster when he's in combat.

Interesting...I'll use this technique on my next playthrough on crushing.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I just played the demo for the first time. Started off slow, but really liked the ending. The combat was great, awesome atmosphere, etc. Can someone compare the retail version to the demo in terms of enemy frequency, pacing etc...

Thanks.

I'm about 75% through the full game, and it's similar to the demo in pacing. Basically divided like this- 10 minutes max of swinging, platforming, light puzzles, followed by about the same amount of shooting. Fun fun fun!

Dante

I gave crushing a quick test before I went to the gym earlier and MAN it was tough, and I found hard to be right up my alley, but crushing takes it to a whole new level.

Also, I hope aim assist get abolished on games from this point forward. killing dudes in Uncharted just feels so satisfying. :)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I have been playing through the first level, and I must say this game is damn good. Really good. The visuals are extremely nice, the animations in what Drake does is nice. This is what the PS3 needs is good to more AAA titles starting to shine.

Synless

Fuck 53 treasures out of 60, I'm going to have a hell of a time finding the remaining ones........not happy!!!!!!!!

Got the game on Friday and played 8 hours straight till the end. When it's all over you feel like you've just watched a 2 hour flick at the theater. The story was alright but the cast of characters was great...really charismatic. Much like heavenly sword, the motion cap acting makes everything come alive. The music was great as well.

Graphics are amazing...but there were numerous times were the textures didn't load but that's okay since there are hardly an load times(except of the initial load), even when you die.

The cover system is great and I like how you can hang off a wall. I did have the same problem however, as in gears; when I went to roll away(usually to a doorway) I'd stick to a wall and die. Also, when you take cover behind a rounded column it would've been nice if you could circle around it (like in the water filled area with the rows of columns).

Great game and I can't wait to go through it again on hard.

Belfast

AAK said:

And if you haven't completed the game yet, please don't watch it!

Way to go with the spoilers, GT!

In terms of the actual content of the review, a lot of their complaints are still the "blah blah no online or leaderboards, etc." bullcrap.

If a game doesn't lend itself to those kinds of features, then lacking them should NOT count against a game. And it has as much replayability as most games have over the past...I don't know, two generations? It has unlockables, hidden things to find, and several different difficulty levels to tackle. Is that suddenly not enough?

SSM25

no online and no leaderboards!!...My god!!!

When I watched their AC review I was so sure the game was going to be scored a 6, this one seemed a lot more positive but the score was lower.....

It's like the same shit in almost every Uncharted review. "Wow this game is really good. But it doesn't do anything new.". So what? Why is this suddenly in any way a good reason for knocking a game?

SolidSnakex said:
It's like the same shit in almost every Uncharted review. "Wow this game is really good. But it doesn't do anything new.". So what? Why is this suddenly in any way a good reason for knocking a game?

sorry SSX but only Truly Innovative Games like HALO3 deserve 9.8 Scores. :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SolidSnakex said:

*shrugs* Who knows. Just call it a 9 and nod your head is what I say. All of the big games coming out this year haven't done anything new (SMG, yeah sort of, and Portal), just some get hit while others don't.

I kind of sort of truly believe games on this system will be a kicked around a tiny bit even if they are fantastico. It happened with the Game Cube and it happened with the 64. You prop up the winners a tiny bit more and you thumb your nose down at the losers a tiny bit more.

I'm sure someone will attack me for saying it, but whatever. That's fine. I don't have a invested interest in any of this, just pointing out the obvious. Uncharted gets the "nothing new" treatment while with Bioshock, it's overlooked (still a damn fine game).

It happens, we play the games, we move on. :D

Xellos

Nice review by GT. There were some spoilers, but the viewer wouldn't know that unless they finished the game. They didn't give away the biggest twists, at any rate. Back to the review, the only point I disagree with is that I think run-and-gun/melee combat is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, while GT didn't like it. Other than that, I thought it was an excellent review of this game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Belfast said:
And if you haven't completed the game yet, please don't watch it!

Way to go with the spoilers, GT!

In terms of the actual content of the review, a lot of their complaints are still the "blah blah no online or leaderboards, etc." bullcrap.

If a game doesn't lend itself to those kinds of features, then lacking them should NOT count against a game. And it has as much replayability as most games have over the past...I don't know, two generations? It has unlockables, hidden things to find, and several different difficulty levels to tackle. Is that suddenly not enough?

WOW. What a bullshit review. And the comment section is worse.

He talked like he didn't even play the game. AI IS smart when they use cover and actively flank the player, hand-to-hand combos aren't limited to a three-hitter, especially with stuff like gunslinger, steel-fist, drop kick and stealth kill. And complaining about online and leaderboards? Where the fuck are online and leaderboards in Ass Creed, why don't you fucking nail Ass Creed for not having those? Man, they just can't seem to get a fucking break.

Indifferent2.gif

Synless

Dante said:
Damn, that's a pretty good number!!
First run too!!! seriously just search around the corners of the environments and your bound to find them. but seriously the last 7 are gonna be a bitch to find because now I have to start from the beginning and search every nook and cranny to try and find these damn things!!!!!!!! I must unlock everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit* wtf at these scores how did this not get a 9?????? I really think sony games are rated harder then the others.

YYZ

AAK said:
wow, the review was pretty bad. The negatives they list make them sound like they expect every game to be like GTA or COD4. Take the game for what it is, not every game needs to have a million hours of play time, and the extras in this game are totally worth it. The technical achievements, PERFECT play time for the type of game it is, and the solid gameplay warrant a purchase, not a rental. WTF. First GT review in a while that has dissapointed me for its quality.

The most accurate criticism of the GT review is that the reviewer played it wrong, completely wrong. Do reviewers understand that some games will have different qualities to it? Don't expect stupid online+leaderboards in an action/adventure game. Don't suck at doing stuff (like combos) that are pointed out in the manual.

wtf is wrong with you guys the GT reviews made the game sound really awesome.

the review seemed really fair....you guys need to stop being so sensitive.

Belfast

Xellos said:
Nice review by GT. There were some spoilers, but the viewer wouldn't know that unless they finished the game. They didn't give away the biggest twists, at any rate. Back to the review, the only point I disagree with is that I think run-and-gun/melee combat is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, while GT didn't like it. Other than that, I thought it was an excellent review of this game.

That was another thing. A lot of people trash the melee combat, but this isn't a brawler. Using melee is a *tactical choice.* It can net you more ammo for taking a bit of a risk and you should know better when there are too many enemies around for you to completely avoid getting shot.

Top Bottom