• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
TEH-CJ said:
Imho, GT reviews seem to be pretty shit in general, albiet well layed out and worded.

most of the time they time they pick on " what majority of people would call a positive" and turn it into a negative...almost every review of theres i have noticed this.

in there resistance fall of man review, they criticized the AI and stated that they just stand there and take hits like a sponge, and dont offer any team support or take cover.

which is in fact...bullshit o_O

and the uncharted review is another example of stupidity.

but hey they dont mention negatives of halo 3 and gears of war and etc etc.. LOLOLOLOlolOLol

I used to love them but I feel this fall they've been off a bit... but that's my view of most review sites so I guess I just must have a different taste. I love Uncharted so far, a lot more so than a lot of other 9.x titles.

I still feel Sony is getting treated unfairly but whatever.

G-Bus said:
GT review has some funny bits but over all isn't bad i don't think. 8.9 is a good score.

"AI isn't smart"

ok?

"Hand to hand combat is a possibility, but we don't recommend it. Your basically relegated to 1, 3 hit combo and it can be almost impossible to get the timing right"

:lol This one really makes me wonder how much of this game they played.

It is nice to see a review actually compliment the game on how well it looks for once. Other than the typical "it's pretty".

WTF at those criticisms....thats just...pathetic!

...seriously *dick punches Gametrailers*

Big-E

I don't understand how reviewers can present false information in a review. This is supposed to be professional journalism so they should go back and fix it like they would do in any local paper if they make a mistake.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
reilo said:
They had no problem giving COD4 a 9.4 and Halo 3 a 9.8[!].
Come on guys. Both of those games have almost unlimited replay value in addition to kick-assed single-player campaigns. Not to mention original ideas like the perks system, forge, theatre, etc. I finished Uncharted in a little under eight hours on normal difficulty. How can some of you say we didn't play the game? You can see footage of the entire game unlocked right in the review along with gameplay from the end of the game. There's no conspiracy. For the guy who mentioned Gears, did you even look at our review of it? The truth is, value plays a lot into our scores. You can try to hang your hat on the fact that we mention no online, but if the single-player were at least of reasonable length it would have scored higher. Eight hours for $60 may be plenty for you guys, but someone who works hard for their games and could care less what system they're on, we think, will want more.

klee123

satterfield said:
Come on guys. Both of those games have almost unlimited replay value in addition to kick-assed single-player campaigns. Not to mention original ideas like the perks system, forge, theatre, etc. I finished Uncharted in a little under eight hours on normal difficulty. How can some of you say we didn't play the game? You can see footage of the entire game unlocked right in the review along with gameplay from the end of the game. There's no conspiracy. For the guy who mentioned Gears, did you even look at our review of it? The truth is, value plays a lot into our scores. You can try to hang your hat on the fact that we mention no online, but if the single-player were at least of reasonable length it would have scored higher. Eight hours for $60 may be plenty for you guys, but someone who works hard for their games and could care less what system they're on, we think, will want more.

But reviewers had no problem with other single player experiences like Bioshock.

satterfield said:
How can some of you say we didn't play the game? You can see footage of the entire game unlocked right in the review along with gameplay from the end of the game.

Yeah, about that... any chance future video reviews of any title can avoid showing huge spoilers and moments from the end of the game? I'm really glad I'd already finished the game by the time I watched your review.

I can't think of other specific examples off the top of my head, but there have been some recent reviews where you show stuff from late in the game, and it's making me want to avoid watching your reviews until after I've played -- which kind of defeats the purpose of the review in the first place.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Lemming_JRS said:
Yeah, about that... any chance future video reviews of any title can avoid showing huge spoilers and moments from the end of the game? I'm really glad I'd already finished the game by the time I watched your review.

Otherwise, I thought the review was fair, although I think you need to practice the melee combo a bit more. :D
Unless you've already played the game you'd never know.

Thunderbear

satterfield said:

I don't really agree with that reasoning. I think 8 hours for a "hardcore" gamer I assume your reviewer is, is a good experience. I played through Halo 3 in less than that and it offered way less variation and originality. Yes, it has multiplayer, but does that mean no single player is ever going to get over 9 if it doesn't have 14+ hours of gameplay for a hardcore gamer?

You don't think that the extreme amount of polish, the variety of gameplay, quality story, visuals deserves it at least a 9.2-9.3?

I just don't agree with your reasoning. I really don't agree with Halo 3, but COD4 did offer innovative multiplayer as well as an incredible immersive single player so I do see that 9.4 being accurate.

Whether there's a conspiracy or not, I believe you when you say there's not, I do feel in this case Uncharted got treated unfairly. And why you guys felt fit to give Halo 3, a great experience but not much innovation (and short single player if you want to criticize that) doesn't make any sense to me other than falling for Microsoft's and the Halo hype. Now if Halo 3 scored 9.0, Uncharted 9.1 and COD 9.1 or 9.2 I would understand it.

But anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I know my experiences this year, and Uncharted is at the very top of entertainment value. It's not just about Quantity you know, it's about Quality as well.

G-Bus

Banned
satterfield said:

Please explain to me the 1, 3 hit combo remark in the review. It's seriously mind boggling. And nearly impossible to pull off? i question you as a gamer.

Thunderbear

satterfield said:
BioShock was over 15 hours long.

That's a whole other topic but IMO Bioshock's play time was artificially extended by the amount of back tracking you had to do for relatively meaningless tasks.

I really do hate this new mentality that no multiplayer means your game has to be 15 hours long to deserve a 9+.

Bulla564

Banned
satterfield said:

Because many claims in the review make it seem like you guys didn't. Maybe the review was a rush job, but some of those claims were unfounded.

And regarding length and "value", why don't you rate a product in terms of what it is set to bring to the table, not on how many Xbox Live features it offers? Uncharted has always been poised as a single player experience, and as a 8 hour cinematic experience, it shows more polish and quality than the majority of games out there.

The length was just right, and the experience of this game, is well worth the admission price.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Thunderbear said:
I don't really agree with that reasoning. I think 8 hours for a "hardcore" gamer I assume your reviewer is, is a good experience. I played through Halo 3 in less than that and it offered way less variation and originality. Yes, it has multiplayer, but does that mean no single player is ever going to get over 9 if it doesn't have 14+ hours of gameplay for a hardcore gamer?

You don't think that the extreme amount of polish, the variety of gameplay, quality story, visuals deserves it at least a 9.2-9.3?

I just don't agree with your reasoning. I really don't agree with Halo 3, but COD4 did offer innovative multiplayer as well as an incredible immersive single player so I do see that 9.4 being accurate.

Whether there's a conspiracy or not, I believe you when you say there's not, I do feel in this case Uncharted got treated unfairly. And why you guys felt fit to give Halo 3, a great experience but not much innovation (and short single player if you want to criticize that) doesn't make any sense to me other than falling for Microsoft's and the Halo hype. Now if Halo 3 scored 9.0, Uncharted 9.1 and COD 9.1 or 9.2 I would understand it.

But anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I know my experiences this year, and Uncharted is at the very top of entertainment value. It's not just about Quantity you know, it's about Quality as well.
Well, I'm still playing Halo 3 several times per week. Don't know what to tell you. One combo = square, triangle, square.

satterfield said:
Unless you've already played the game you'd never know.

Yeah, well, I think people might think the part you showed where
Drake and Elena are about to kiss and Sully interrupts them
might count as a huge freakin' spoiler. Come on.

EktorPR

Fuck the reviews: This game has grabbed me like none other this year. The incredible visuals power a great pulp story of adventure, while traversing exotic locales, killing pirates left and right and swinging from vines to get to your next grab point...I love this shit. :D It's my *personal* Game of the Year, and throughly recommend it to anyone and everyone who has a PlayStation 3. This game is one of a few MUST HAVE exclusives for the system, and deserves to sell.

I'm right now at the Sunken City...oh my God.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In the middle of all this bickering, I must say this is my personal GOTY. Nothing this year, or this gen, has come close to creating this kind of appeal for me. There is nothing else to say but that. This is one game that deserves GOTY status, score does not mean nothing. Puts everything out in the cold in terms of production and quality. I don't know how much higher a compliment I could pay this game. It is just phenomenal. A game that any real gamer should experience.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Bulla564 said:
Because many claims in the review make it seem like you guys didn't. Maybe the review was a rush job, but some of those claims were unfounded.

And regarding length and "value", why don't you rate a product in terms of what it is set to bring to the table, not on how many Xbox Live features it offers? Uncharted has always been poised as a single player experience, and as a 8 hour cinematic experience, it shows more polish and quality than the majority of games out there.

The length was just right, and the experience of this game, is well worth the admission price.
I could honestly care less about what a game was "poised" as. All that crap goes out the window when it's review time. It's just the game measured against its peers. Simple as that.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I just got done playing the first hour and a half or so, and... WOW. This is as much fun as I've had playing anything this year. The graphics are probably the best I've ever seen on a console, and the pacing early on has been pure genius. The characters are really likeable, and the game world is highly immersive.

Very impressed so far.

Ploid 3.0

One review I read said something great in relation to the game length. Never a dull moment, and theres no filler. or something like that. This is how games should be, and oblivion (other rpgs are exempted. I love to hate you oblivion, for your own good).

satterfield said:
Come on guys. Both of those games have almost unlimited replay value in addition to kick-assed single-player campaigns. Not to mention original ideas like the perks system, forge, theatre, etc.

Er... I love the game, but unless you started playing games online this year, how can you call the perks system unique? Unique to COD, sure. But it's not exactly a new idea.

LiquidMetal14

satterfield said:
I honestly care less about what a game was "poised" as. All that crap goes out the window when it's review time. It's just the game measured against its peers. Simple as that.
It may retain gameplay values from other games, there is hardly anything wrong with that. The package as a whole separates itself from most of the tripe adventure games we see these days. I have never experienced a game which game me that Indiana Jones vibe, this is Uncharted. Bar none, the best adventure game I have played to date. Naughty Dog knocked this one out of the park yet certain statements try to invalidate such a remarkable game.

Belfast

satterfield said:

But the definition of replayability isn't necessarily restricted to "online modes." How is having plenty to unlock and harder difficulties to tackle NOT a definition of replayability? Those sorts of things should make the game last longer than eight hours or so.

And in championing replayability, I think we're ignorning the value of plain on playability. A singular, awesome experience *can* be worth $60. That's pretty much all we had for a long time when games cost a heckuva lot more.

If we're talking single-player length, it matches HALO 3/CoD4 more or less, but those games come from a certain lineage. We've seen the kind of disasters that can happen when a company not familiar or used to including all sorts of online features in their games tries to for the sake of pinning another bullet point on their feature list. Naughty Dog isn't really known for those sorts of things. Those aren't the experiences they're trying to create. And they don't need to.

My issue with this review (and many others, for various games) is that a lot of journos seem to be weighing "online features" as the greatest qualifiers of value, when there are clearly other ways to assess it.

dfyb

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
WTF at those criticisms....thats just...pathetic!

...seriously *dick punches Gametrailers*
if you watch the gametrailers videos, it's easy to see just how pathetically bad they are at the game. i could imagine it's no fun if you suck and consequently play it very boringly.

Bulla564

Banned
satterfield said:
I could honestly care less about what a game was "poised" as. All that crap goes out the window when it's review time. It's just the game measured against its peers. Simple as that.

Funny, because the game is on a league of its own, especially when measured against its peers. Again, I wish reviews focused on entertainment quality, and not on mindless (and unnecessary) Xbox Live features.

LiquidMetal14

Bulla564 said:
Funny, because the game is on a league of its own, especially when measured against its peers. Again, I wish reviews focused on entertainment quality, and not on mindless (and unnecessary) Xbox Live features.
I wanted to say that in my last statement. It really is. Powerhouse game.

dfyb

Banned
generally i never play a singleplayer game twice, but uncharted has me coming back for more. a lot of it is due to the unlockables, but honestly the game is just fun as balls and each time you play, there are so many different ways to go about each fight.

Awntawn

Just finished on hard.

Wow. Definitely a GOTY candidate, though we all know it doesn't have a chance because the people with the votes aren't even bothering to play it. I honestly can't understand how the reviewers are low-balling this with a straight face. Whatever, screw the scores. Anyone looking for a triple-A on PS3 this year, this is it. A lot of games I enjoy, I still have reservations when recommending them to other people, Uncharted I have none. This is a great game, period.

If someone says buy this game and gives it a 6/10, that's fine as long as people listen to the advice and buy the game, because the game speaks for itself. Uncharted needs no defending, it just needs advertising. People in the media outlets, 1up Yours crew, all you guys. Get off your power trips and play this game.

If anyone is considering getting a PS3 for any reason, future games or whatnot, might as well take the plunge now. Uncharted will welcome you with open arms (and eyes). It's the perfect compilation of all the best aspects of all the best action games we've seen so far this gen, and tops it off with the greatest presentation we've seen ever seen on any console.

G-Bus

Banned
satterfield said:
Well, I'm still playing Halo 3 several times per week. Don't know what to tell you. One combo = square, triangle, square.

You are aware of there being more than 1 combo in the game? each with different animations depending on where you are relative to the environment?

Evlar

Banned
G-Bus said:
You are aware of there being more than 1 combo in the game? each with different animations depending on where you are relative to the environment?
Hell, the manual gives three combos (and those aren't the only ones possible).

Belfast

LiquidMetal14 said:
I wanted to say that in my last statement. It really is. Powerhouse game.

Indeed. And I'll repeat myself: there are other ways to qualify value. It's so easy, almost a cop-out, to say that Uncharted only set out to filch elements from other games (regardless of how well that works), and then completely ignore that, thematically, we don't see a whole lot of games like this anymore. Besides the revamped Tomb Raider, how many decent games can you point to that have come out this year that feature an old-school pulpy adventure yarn? The concept may not be original (and clearly takes cues from its antecedents), but "compared to its peers" as it were, it does stand out quite a bit.

It's nice to have a game where you can go around and shoot people and NOT have some overwrought military theme.

teepo

the game is getting 9's and 8's. wtf is wrong with you people? i have to say though, a lot of the complaints that the reviewers address within the text are a lot of the times are down right wrong. but that's what happens when a developer offers multiple difficulties, no multiplayer or co-op and the reviewer has a deadline to meet. review copies should just have one set difficulty that the game was fine tuned to or do what bungie did, force them to play it on heroic.

this game is down right amazing. i haven't had this much fun in a singleplayer game since re4. the game is balanced and perfectly paced. it's almost a perfect experience.

satterfield said:

yeah the 1 combo in the demo they tell you about..

And lol the Ass Creed review. That game is like what 12 hours of repetitive gameplay. Its a pain to even want to finish. The AI is down right terrible, and its a buggy mess. Sure it does some new things that will be amazing in a seqeul but that means its 9+++

satterfield said:
And I'll leave this with one reminder. We gave the game an 8.9 and loved it.

Thanks for stepping into the lion's den. Please take what I said about the spoilers into consideration, though -- I'm sure you don't like it when you see movie trailers that give away the whole movie, right?

C'mon everyone, save your energy for the Gamespot review that'll probably be up tomorrow. :D

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
satterfield said:
And I'll leave this with one reminder. We gave the game an 8.9 and loved it.

you're the one who reviewed it? How could you POSSIBLY say the AI was dumb? They flanked, they were agressive, they new when to come out, they hid after they'd been shot several times. The comment on combat? Wrong, did you even try?

dfyb

Banned
satterfield said:
one weapon = needler

am i doing it right?

msdstc said:
you're the one who reviewed it? How could you POSSIBLY say the AI was dumb? They flanked, they were agressive, they new when to come out, they hid after they'd been shot several times. The comment on combat? Wrong, did you even try?
some developers have found easy ways to make people think the AI is good. make them aliens. instantly, they are no longer expected to act like humans.

Top Bottom