• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Awntawn

satterfield said:
I could honestly care less about what a game was "poised" as. All that crap goes out the window when it's review time. It's just the game measured against its peers. Simple as that.
Three titles that took less than 15 seconds to think of can prove this statement as hypocritical beyond belief.

But saying them would cross too many lines. It's like getting mugged without a call in a basketball game. Then you open your mouth and you get a T.

Raziel

I can't fathom how AC scores higher than this. Apparently if Uncharted was longer, more repetitive, had worse combat (as long as its original), and worse AI, it could have maybe cracked 90?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This thread needs more praise, less defending. Uncharted stands proud on its own. The commercial is nothing short of awesome. I can't stop watching it.

zombi

raziel said:
I can't fathom how AC scores higher than this. Apparently if Uncharted was longer, more repetitive, had worse combat (as long as its original), and worse AI, it could have maybe cracked 90?
I dont think the average consumer this holiday season will care, but they will see the commercials and all the adverts and I think those do a fantastic job selling the game.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
The Sphinx said:
Hell, the manual gives three combos (and those aren't the only ones possible).
I'm not avoiding anything, I'm in here chatting with you guys aren't I? I didn't have to do that. You guys treat us journos like we're the enemy. We're gamers just like you. We're trying to help you spend your money intelligently. As for the combos, you do them all the same way and then the game plays itself. You think that's better than controlling them yourself? Anyway, bed time for me. Glad a lot of you are enjoying the game.

magus

Am I alone in thinking they they kind of went out of their way to spoil the game? There was a lot of spoilers in that review.

Awntawn

LiquidMetal14 said:
This thread needs more praise, less defending. Uncharted stands proud on its own. The commercial is nothing short of awesome. I can't stop watching it.
Well you can only praise it so much before you become a drooling fanboy. Sony's literally in a position to only fail at this point, any praise for anything remotely associated with it makes you a stupid fanboy desperate for a decent title to hold on to.

The people saying "what are you bitching about, it's a good score" don't get it. And you don't get it unless you've played it. It's better than just good.

magus said:
Am I alone in thinking they they kind of went out of their way to spoil the game? There was a lot of spoilers in that review.
Actually saved me some extra frustration on the
final boss
actually. I saw it coming and managed to do it without failing on the
QTE
segment ;o

Evlar

Banned
satterfield said:
I'm not avoiding anything, I'm in here chatting with you guys aren't I? I didn't have to do that. You guys treat us journos like we're the enemy. We're gamers just like you. We're trying to help you spend your money intelligently. As for the combos, you do them all the same way and then the game plays itself. You think that's better than controlling them yourself? Anyway, bed time for me. Glad a lot of you are enjoying the game.
Your review does not state that the combos all play the same way (which is still factually incorrect) or that the user has no input (ditto). Your review states that there is only one combo, and states it as a negative. That is false however you slice it.

The reviews of Uncharted continue to puzzle me. I've played the game and I just don't see how this game continues to score high 8s, low 9s with very very petty nit-picks in the review text (and in instances factually incorrect complaints). Its like some odd group think ordeal, but i can't figure out why. The game is just pure fun to play, with great sound, graphics, gameplay and something fresh (ie: new ip that isn't military, aliens, or a person bald). ISN'T this what we want out of games??

I mean seriously what are the flaws of this game? I've loved games that reviewed not so hot, but dangit i could at least spot what the main issues of the game were. But with this game i see these low 9s, and high eights, and then all the reviewers rushing in trying to defend it with "We had a blast" or whateve and then give it an 8 something. Wha??

Awntawn

gketter said:
The reviews of Uncharted continue to puzzle me. I've played the game and I just don't see how this game continues to score high 8s, low 9s with very very petty nit-picks in the review text (and in instances factually incorrect complaints). Its like some odd group think ordeal, but i can't figure out why. The game is just pure fun to play, with great sound, graphics, gameplay and something fresh (ie: new ip that isn't military, aliens, or a person bald). ISN'T this what we want out of games??

I mean seriously what are the flaws of this game? I've loved games that reviewed not so hot, but dangit i could at least spot what the main issues of the game were. But with this game i see these low 9s, and high eights, and then all the reviewers rushing in trying to defend it with "We had a blast" or whateve and then give it an 8 something. Wha??
Been said throughout the whole thread, but it's still not enough. Seriously, what gives?

dfyb

Banned
satterfield said:
it really sounds like you honestly think triangle square triangle is the only combo and the only variety you see is due to environmental/health contexts. and the only combo you mention is the combo you see pop up in the demo (brutal combo). at the beginning of the game, you see the fast, furious combo (square x5). the manual mentions the gunslinger combo (square, r1, square) and the steel fist combo (r1, square).

were you even paying attention while playing? i know at least 3 different combos pop up during gameplay. the environmental context modifies each individual combo, but there are still multiple combos. you do entirely different button inputs to pull them off (like.. just about every other game with combos).

edit: and people make fun of sony for sending review guides..

satterfield said:

yeah theres only 1 combo because you press buttons to do them all

satterfield said:
You can try to hang your hat on the fact that we mention no online, but if the single-player were at least of reasonable length it would have scored higher. Eight hours for $60 may be plenty for you guys, but someone who works hard for their games and could care less what system they're on, we think, will want more.

I dont understand the lust for long games these days, have people really forgotten about when they would replay games because they enjoyed it? hell, if you pre-planned to play it once then renting would be a better option.

The score the game got was good, 8.9 is a fine score for any game, but complaining about game length just shouldent be an issue at all, same with using cost as a argument against the game (again renting is always an option and the price of games go down in time).

It is people complaining about game length that gets developers to add boring sections to their games in an effort to extend the experience. I mean, Portal is one of the best games this year and there is a video on youtube of someone beating it in 18 minutes.

WTFing

Banned
When will you learn Sony, when? This is not enough.

4.jpg

This is not FUCKING enough!

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Bugnology said:
When will you learn Sony, when? This is not enough.

http://gaming-age.com/previews/ps3/uncharted/box/4.jpg[/]

This is not FUCKING enough![/QUOTE]

If Sony start treating press like MS do, the press will simply accuse them of trying to buy favour. They are caught between a rock and a hard place where the press are concerned.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
satterfield said:
We're gamers just like you. We're trying to help you spend your money intelligently.
I'm no fan of incorporating "value" into a game's review score, I just want the review to rate the quality of the game. Value is a separate thing, because price is no guarantee.

But if you're going to insist on incorporating value into your review scores, to help us intelligently spend our money, then perhaps you need to provide us with what the scale is for determining how many game hours X @ price $YY yields score increment Z. Because I'm glad you're worried about how we might feel if we played for 8 hrs and paid $60 for the privilege, but what if it turns out I play for 10 hrs and I only paid $50? How much higher would the score be then?

vpance

The message i'm getting here is it's whatever keeps your fingers moving and brain occupied for the most time you think your money is worth. I dont think Uncharted should be distilled like that. And then breaking it down into "it's just Gears and TR". I've never played anything as well put together as Uncharted. It's unique and that should matter.

Ploid 3.0 said:
One review I read said something great in relation to the game length. Never a dull moment, and theres no filler. or something like that.

That's a good way to put it. This notion of "proper game length" being down to a certain number of hours has always bothered me. It's probably my biggest issue with game reviews in general. This mechanical "product" mentality that requires certain statistics or features to reach a final "score" (game length, arbitrary notions of "innovation" and so on). Shouldn't the medium be past this by now? Perspective on quality of execution and the experience as a whole seems to get much less priority.

But anyways, back to Drake and friends.

Jesus Christ are some of you babies. Not everyone is out to get you.

Anyway, I never saw an answer for my question. What is the point of the large, breakable jars that are scattered throughout the game?

Evlar

Banned
dammitmattt said:

Anyway, I never saw an answer for my question. What is the point of the large, breakable jars that are scattered throughout the game?
Destructible cover, like the stone walls. Grenades can take them out in one hit, weapons like the AK-47 and 9mm handgun will also eventually break them down. It's meant to make battles more dynamic.

Tideas

Banned
Did someone just complain what Sony gave to the press is not enough? Wow...

Anyway, I thought it was enough and more. Heck, all I wanted was the game. The coffee mug was just icing on the cake. Maybe it's because I expect little?

Anyway, I somehow, managed to get some captures up, haha. Couldn't get it through the HDMI, instead had to use composite to my laptop.

Anyway, GAF, try not to kill my server k? ;)

Short impression
http://www.project-tideas.com/playstation-3/uncharted-drakes-fortune-initial-impression

Gameplay capture
http://www.project-tideas.com/playstation-3/uncharted-drakes-fortune-gameplay-video

Btw, the reason I showed the death part was because the waterfall looked pretty awesome. Too bad I can't show it to you guys in HD.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Sphinx said:
Destructible cover, like the stone walls. Grenades can take them out in one hit, weapons like the AK-47 and 9mm handgun will also eventually break them down. It's meant to make battles more dynamic.
I dunno, I don't recall any of those jars being placed directly in areas where there are firefights. I keep shooting them, hoping there will be treasure inside, but no such luck.

Belfast

Linkzg said:
I dont understand the lust for long games these days, have people really forgotten about when they would replay games because they enjoyed it? hell, if you pre-planned to play it once then renting would be a better option.

The score the game got was good, 8.9 is a fine score for any game, but complaining about game length just shouldent be an issue at all, same with using cost as a argument against the game (again renting is always an option and the price of games go down in time).

It is people complaining about game length that gets developers to add boring sections to their games in an effort to extend the experience. I mean, Portal is one of the best games this year and there is a video on youtube of someone beating it in 18 minutes.

It's like artificial length and "online modes" need to be shoehorned into a game just so it can pin more bullet points on its feature list. Those criticisms might be valid for games that beg those sorts of things, but many don't. God of War/II didn't. Bioshock didn't. Mario Galaxy didn't.

Complaining about these sorts of things indicates to a developer they did something wrong. It breeds the idea of an exacting standard that needs to be met, regardless of what kind of game is being created. Instead of complaining about the lack of certain "features," explain how their inclusion would actually make Uncharted better.

8.9's a great score in a vacuum, but when games are being "compared to their peers," then reviews of those games are also going to compared to reviews of their peers.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Uncharted is pretty cool! I'll be giving it a more in depth play through next week after the Thanksgiving break. From what I've played it's wonderful and a must-buy for the PS3 crowd.

Evlar

Banned
kaching said:
I dunno, I don't recall any of those jars being placed directly in areas where there are firefights. I keep shooting them, hoping there will be treasure inside, but no such luck.
I'm not that far in but I've seen it (once). That's how I knew they were destructible, an enemy grenade took one out. I admit they do tend to show up a lot in places without enemy fire.

Awntawn

dammitmattt said:

Why do complaints bother you? It's not like you read them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Sphinx said:
I'm not that far in but I've seen it (once). That's how I knew they were destructible, an enemy grenade took one out. I admit they do tend to show up a lot in places without enemy fire.
Most of those jars just seem to be out of the way, you see them outside fight zones, unlike the destructible crates and rock walls which you basically see almost exclusively in firefight zones.

Maybe there's some silly medal for shooting every single jar in the game...

Raziel

TEH-CJ said:
Start packing your bags
Well, I won't really quit the internet since I will still have to spread the gospel that is Uncharted, but if it doesn't get a 9.0 from GS, there truly will be no justice in this world. :lol

Awntawn

kaching said:
Most of those jars just seem to be out of the way, you see them outside fight zones, unlike the destructible crates and rock walls which you basically see almost exclusively in firefight zones.

Maybe there's some silly medal for shooting every single jar in the game...
There probably is XD I'm not an achievement whore though, and too many other games this month that need a playthrough
before I can justifiably troll them 3;
And hard was tough enough, I think Crushing would make me break my DS3.

TEH-CJ

Banned
raziel said:
Well, I won't really quit the internet since I will still have to spread the gospel that is Uncharted, but if it doesn't get a 9.0 from GS, there truly will be no justice in this world. :lol

Yea i agree :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
satterfield said:
Well, I'm still playing Halo 3 several times per week. Don't know what to tell you. One combo = square, triangle, square.

That's, in your view, all there's to Uncharted? What was the point of that sentence? I mean first of you're wrong, but are you implying that the whole game relies around one melee combat move?

I mean, really, what? Are you sitting in a tree (nut?)? In Halo 3 and COD4 you don't even have 1 combo, you have 1 hit melee attack.

Weirdest response ever.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Thunderbear said:
That's, in your view, all there's to Uncharted? What was the point of that sentence? I mean first of you're wrong, but are you implying that the whole game relies around one melee combat move?

I mean, really, what? Are you sitting in a tree (nut?)? In Halo 3 and COD4 you don't even have 1 combo, you have 1 hit melee attack.

Weirdest response ever.

Right now his laughing because he made uncharted's chance of getting a AAA rating overal....slim to none, hence the 8.9

believe.

TEH-CJ said:
Right now his laughing because he made uncharted's chance of getting a AAA rating overal....slim to none, hence the 8.9

believe.

Uncharted got 3 8.5 scores from EGM, score isnt an issue, it is a meaningless number.

I think the problems with the GT review lie in expectations that were never set and misinformation, it is clear they liked the game and gave this high number for it...but whatever.

one thing I just have to question, are leaderboards a plus in a game? there are many things I just dont get about some people who play games these days.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Linkzg said:
Uncharted got 3 8.5 scores from EGM, score isnt an issue, it is a meaningless number.

I think the problems with the GT review lie in expectations that were never set and misinformation, it is clear they liked the game and gave this high number for it...but whatever.

one thing I just have to question, are leaderboards a plus in a game? there are many things I just dont get about some people who play games these days.

Yea i know, i was half kidding. :p

but honestly it would not suprise me in the least.

I finished the game earlier tonight on hard and all I have to say is WOW! This game lived up to expectations and totally delivered. It is my GOTY and I do think that some of the reviews are a little off. By the way, it took me right at 10 hrs to finish the game. I got 42 of the treasures and I think I am at 580 medal points. I will be playing through again this week and I will attempt to find the rest of the treasures.

This game gave me more Holy Shit moments than any other game. The textures, lighting, shading were just in a league of there in some areas. I implore you to go to the edge of the
German U-Boat
and look around. You will say Wow, I promise!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Thank you for coming in here and putting yourself on the line like this. I appreciate that.

But here is my beef... to call Uncharted "unoriginal" or, as you lovely put it, "Tomb Raider meets Gears of War," [which is a valid way of putting it, but shallow at best] is selling the game very short.

Here, I will write up a plot summary of a game, and please tell me which title this reminds you of. To make things easier, you don't have to stick to the same medium [in fairness because you referenced "Romancing The Stone"]:

After the human race overpopulates and technology advances, humanity sets out to colonize space. This [insert medium here] revolves around a human that is caught in an intergalactic space war as a new breed of [insert race here] attacks the planet populated by humans.

No, I'm not talking about Halo. No, I'm not talking about Gears of War. No, I'm not talking about Battlestar Galactica. No, I'm not talking about War of the Worlds. No, I'm not talking about Star Wars. No, I'm not talking about Dark City. No, I'm not talking about Serenity/Firefly.

While I love most of these games, movies, and tv-shows, and while they are all highly critically acclaimed, nobody ever brought those aforementioned titles down because they were deemed 'unoriginal.'

If anything, Drake's take on the action/adventure genre is far more refreshing and unique to its medium than anything we have seen in recent years. Generalizing Uncharted into, "but it's just Gears of War meets Tomb Raider meets Romancing The Stone," sells it very, very short, because underneath all of that, it is nothing like any of those titles. I am not singling you out, most previews and podcasts about Uncharted by other websites and magazines are doing the exact same thing. In the recent 1Up Yours podcast, they said Uncharted won't be a big hit because, and I am paraphrasing here, "it's like Gears of War meets Tomb Raider, minus the big boobs and tight ass cheeks."

Then you have some factual inaccuracies in your review, and that bothers me a whole lot, too. But these are minor and people only gripe about them because a review shouldn't have such inaccuracies.

Far Cry when it came out, it had an amazing single player campaign, but a putrid multiplayer. Still an amazing game, still rather short single player, and still it is one of the most highly acclaimed titles that came out that year. Plus, some would put Gears' MP as a negative... so, I'd rather have one of the best single player experiences to date than have it being soured by a lousy multiplayer and have resources diverted from its SP campaign.

Hell, some people have short memories, too. Metal Gear Solid 1 could be beaten in under 4 hours.

Review the game based on what it has, and the quality of it all, and not what it doesn't have. This really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the score of your game [which is a good score!], but the review in and of itself.

Cue "lulz meltdown#!" replies.

TEH-CJ

Banned
reilo said:
Thank you for coming in here and putting yourself on the line like this. I appreciate that.

But here is my beef... to call Uncharted "unoriginal" or, as you lovely put it, "Tomb Raider meets Gears of War," [which is a valid way of putting it, but shallow at best] is selling the game very short.

Here, I will write up a plot summary of a game, and please tell me which title this reminds you of. To make things easier, you don't have to stick to the same medium [in fairness because you referenced "Romancing The Stone"]:

No, I'm not talking about Halo. No, I'm not talking about Gears of War. No, I'm not talking about Battlestar Galactica. No, I'm not talking about War of the Worlds. No, I'm not talking about Star Wars. No, I'm not talking about Dark City. No, I'm not talking about Serenity/Firefly.

While I love most of these games, movies, and tv-shows, and while they are all highly critically acclaimed, nobody ever brought those aforementioned titles down because they were deemed 'unoriginal.'

If anything, Drake's take on the action/adventure genre is far more refreshing and unique to its medium than anything we have seen in recent years. Generalizing Uncharted into, "but it's just Gears of War meets Tomb Raider meets Romancing The Stone," sells it very, very short, because underneath all of that, it is nothing like any of those titles. I am not singling you out, most previews and podcasts about Uncharted by other websites and magazines are doing the exact same thing. In the recent 1Up Yours podcast, they said Uncharted won't be a big hit because, and I am paraphrasing here, "it's like Gears of War meets Tomb Raider, minus the big boobs and tight ass cheeks."

Then you have some factual inaccuracies in your review, and that bothers me a whole lot, too. But these are minor and people only gripe about them because a review shouldn't have such inaccuracies.

Far Cry when it came out, it had an amazing single player campaign, but a putrid multiplayer. Still an amazing game, still rather short single player, and still it is one of the most highly acclaimed titles that came out that year. Plus, some would put Gears' MP as a negative... so, I'd rather have one of the best single player experiences to date than have it being soured by a lousy multiplayer and have resources diverted from its SP campaign.

Hell, some people have short memories, too. Metal Gear Solid 1 could be beaten in under 4 hours.

Review the game based on what it has, and the quality of it all, and not what it doesn't have. This really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the score of your game [which is a good score!], but the review in and of itself.

Cue "lulz meltdown#!" replies.

Wow awesome read, and i couldn't agree more.

now lets make hot love.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't care about the score. Just get your facts straight in your reviews. There were just many things incorrect. I don't care if you hated it and gave it a 5, just get it correct. And to be clear, I generally *really* enjoy GT's reviews...when you get the facts straight.

satterfield said:
It [Bioshock] was also incredibly unique.

I love Bioshock. I do (for the most part). I have a lot of fun with it but 1999 (System Shock 2) called and it wants it's game back. However, to be fair, GT wasn't around in 1999.

J-Rzez

Just finished the game. I'm can't believe how great this game ended up. Usually MGS games come across as a "playable movie" experience, but Uncharted takes it all to a new level. To sum it up:

-Best graphics to grace a console to date
-Best sound/music to grace a console to date
-Incredibly well done story. Kept you wanting to play it more and more to see what happens next
-Best utilization of cover mechanics to date.
-Ultra slick and responsive controls.
-Best animation to grace gaming. Nate flinches at shots cracking walls, ducks and weaves as bullets wiz by. You look like you are barely grasping on for dear life at times. ETC.
-Varied environments really keeps things fresh.

Easily the best "next-now gen" game to date in fit, finish, quality, and most importantly, fun. One of the few games this gen I felt I got more than my money's worth out of it.

ENDING:
I'm glad they left it open for Nate and crew to move onto a new adventure. If they killed off Nate, I would've actually been really mad as he's the most likable character in a game for me to date. That last sequence on the boat was nuts. Mixing in the QTE events and all. Combo the dude, he kicks you to the ground, then you got to get up and run to him to "finish" him off. It was great! One of the most climatic boss battles ever.

I'm not worried about the reviewers and their agenda's though anymore. Most people who play through this game will probably feel the same as I do, maybe even more favorable. The game itself really makes most of these reviewers look like the clown shoes they are. Just like Resistance, as word of mouth goes around, more and more people will pick it up and be converted.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyways, getting back on track. The game/system was good to me and let me get to Chapter 20 before kneeing me in the face with a lock up. Just an amazing ride so far. Pure, high quality fun.

Xtyle

To me, if something is done well, it is done well. Originality only means so much and only when it is good.

This year I played a shit load of games and I probably own most of the better releases on all the next gen systems, plus PS2 (GOW 2). I remember Bioshock got crazy praise from the gaming press back when it came out. Not sure it deserved all the 10's, but I did like it a lot. I mean a lot. Though it is a longer game than Uncharted, I think the experience has been more enjoyable here.

I do also agree that not every game needs a leader board or some online elements. It is simply retarded to pin it as a negative.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
The funny thing about ght GT score is that ND has essentially all but stated that the trophies will be available when Home hits. It's actually a joke.

By Gametrailers' standards, I suppose the Indiana Jones movies are "unoriginal" because they draw from classic pulp and classic 30's and 40's adventure serials. Ditto with the Star Wars series, because, after all, it basically condenses most of the ancient myths of human history into its story, and is therefore "unoriginal."

Such bullshit.

As far as Gametrailers' criticism about the "one combo" well, that's just plain factually incorrect bullshit. I count at least five different combos I learned, and even when Drake hits the "one combo" that the idot Gametrailers reviewer managed to figure out, (square triangle square) he hits it in probably a dozen different ways.

Satterfield tried to defend this crock of a review by mentioning that Bioshock was almost twice as long as Uncharted. I played Bioshock. How much of that time in Bioshock is spent backtracking? You never have to backtrack in Uncharted. Everything is full steam ahead...bang, bang, bang. It's a rushing rollercoaster ride.

Gametrailers' "Design" score is also complete rubbish, IMO. The design is amazing. Every environment flows right into the next environment. One you are in the game...No loading. Gorgeous atmosphere and architecture. The combat, while taking cues from other games, takes from some of the best game ideas, and in some cases, improves on what those games do. That's what Gears did via Killswitch, and it deserved praise. What more could you want?

What a bunch of clowns. Can't even get their facts correct. Terrible review.

All reviews that give this game anything less than a 9/10 are crap IMO. This game is true greatness.

Top Bottom