• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Borys

Banned
Kittonwy said:
That's like saying one should be able to swim in the ocean across to some island when it has nothing to do with the game space or else it's not impressive, it's not like the geometry isn't LODed.

It's not fake though, see the cliff above the U-boat? You can go there, see the U-boat from up at the cliff? You can travel down and walk on top of it.

Why are you arguing with a guy that says Uncharted looks phenomenal for the things it does?

Sometimes you really make me fucking angry Kittonwy, RAWR >:[

Loudninja

Borys said:
Why are you arguing with a guy that says Uncharted looks phenomenal for the things it does?

But saying the draw distane is fake is pretty stupid

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sho Nuff said:
The GameTrailers score is an OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAFers bitch about game scores, so other GAFers criticize them for not focusing on the review text. GAFers then take more interest in review text and then other GAFers criticize them for not focusing on the score. 'round we go.

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
Kittonwy UK disapproves of IGN UK.
Indifferent2.gif
So does Deepbrown UK...I'm ashamed. But we are notoriously harder to please...eg. EDGE (looking forward to that one?) and Gamertm (ruh roh)
Indifferent2.gif

Kosma

Banned
Wowowow another review judging the game by it's length and perceived value instead of it's quality. Lame.

I hope it drops in the mailbox today or tommorow.

Kittonwy

Banned
Borys said:

Because crushing is hard and Ima in cock-punching mode right now. Enemies are more deadly now.
angry.gif

FrankT

Just finished the game and it took about 9 hours. I would give this game somewhere between a 9.0-9.5 personally. It is a gem.

Man I was starting to hate this new reviewer on GT, and now this?... So much for my favorite reviews...

What happened to the old reviewer on GT? BRING HIM BACK PLEASE.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm looking forward to the soundtrack popping up on iTunes in a day or so (hopefully iTunes+). Whoever is charge of the general music production/selection for this game has been doing a bang up job, between the selection of composer for ingame music, the Massive Attack trailer and then the DJ Shadow remix. Really firing on all cylinders on the music front.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ynos Yrros said:
Well then, LAir and Heavenly Sword rape AC.
What? Heavenly Sword? HS uses very linear environments with no deviation. The worlds in Assassin's Creed are so far beyond HS that it isn't even funny. You can see for what seems like miles and travel to every inch of the world. Heavenly Sword is nothing like that *AND* runs at a terrible framerate.

dark10x said:
What? Heavenly Sword? HS uses very linear environments with no deviation. The worlds in Assassin's Creed are so far beyond HS that it isn't even funny. You can see for what seems like miles and travel to every inch of the world. Heavenly Sword is nothing like that *AND* runs at a terrible framerate.
Scale is scale, the vistas in HS easily surpass those that can be seen in AC. And LAir is simply on a whole other level, so if he wanted to comment on scale, he should have used that instead.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Metalmurphy said:
Man I was starting to hate this new reviewer on GT, and now this?... So much for my favorite reviews...

What happened to the old reviewer on GT? BRING HIM BACK PLEASE.

Agreed. The Assassin's Creed review was a first hint, and this review seals the deal: GameTrailers-review-quality has taken a dive. Headfirst one-way-ticket to rock-bottom. I just hope they get their shit together before they completely destroy their reputation.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
The rest of the experience is also kickass. I LOVE the level design as they really do carefully lead you through everything. You see something in the distance and wish you could go there, but before you realize it, you've circled all the way around an area and did just that. I'm glad the level design is so focused, though. Not everything needs to offer an open world these days (and quite frankly, outside of Crysis, I'm becoming tired of them). The level design here is perfectly tuned for a tight gameplay experience. Naughty Dog HAS delivered open world gameplay in the past (Jak II and 3) and Uncharted kicks the shit out of those games. :p
Yup, I commented on this as well. Really jumps out at you when you get to the Spanish fortress and literally crawl over the majority of the thing, even if it doesn't seem like you'll be able to go everywhere at first. And it's not just the exterior, but inside and underneath as well.

But I do see some potential to do something like they did with the Jak series and create an open world hub for subsequent Uncharted games. It'd mesh well with the whole treasure hunter angle and the treasures they already have you collect throughout the game. Accept assignments to locate treasures for archaelogists, museum curators, private merchants, etc. Earn money for ingame upgrades. Meanwhile, you can still have a fairly cohesive and linear path to the main storyline.

SaitoH

I disagree with a couple points in the Gametrailers review, but thought it was good review.

Anyway, they did bring up a good point ... online leaderboards.

Picture this: Complete the game first time and you unlock score modes. You could have a fastest completion mode, total score mode (Take in account things like time / accuracy / treasure / headshots / bonus for melee etc) , treasure hunter (random treasure placement + time) and have them upload to a leadboard.

Not a big thing, but it think it'd be cool.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kaching said:
But I do see some potential to do something like they did with the Jak series and create an open world hub for subsequent Uncharted games. It'd mesh well with the whole treasure hunter angle and the treasures they already have you collect throughout the game. Accept assignments to locate treasures for archaelogists, museum curators, private merchants, etc. Earn money for ingame upgrades. Meanwhile, you can still have a fairly cohesive and linear path to the main storyline.
That's true. After all, even games like Monkey Island did let you perform tasks in any order you wanted, the story simply progressed further after you've completed all the tasks you needed to.

Still, I'm not sure if that's the way to go, does that offer you any fundamentally important and interesting choice to make, or does it just make a game more difficult to develop with no really big benefit to the player. In fact, more interesting choices offered in a game set on a linear path may be the better way to go.

dark10x

Ynos Yrros said:
Scale is scale, the vistas in HS easily surpass those that can be seen in AC. And LAir is simply on a whole other level, so if he wanted to comment on scale, he should have used that instead.
Not really. Have you played Assassin's Creed? There isn't anything in Heavenly Sword that compares.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
That's true. After all, even games like Monkey Island did let you perform tasks in any order you wanted, the story simply progressed further after you've completed all the tasks you needed to.

Still, I'm not sure if that's the way to go, does that offer you any fundamentally important and interesting choice to make, or does it just make a game more difficult to develop with no really big benefit to the player. In fact, more interesting choices offered in a game set on a linear path may be the better way to go.
agreed

One thing that's really annoying me are the treasures. You see, I'm the OCD-type that likes to find everything in games and it's really annoying that I have to stop every few seconds to look for a glint of an object. Why aren't the treasures actually in, you know, treasure chests? Why aren't there actual objects instead of just a glint? It just feels a little bit lazy and thrown in to me.

Also, is anyone building a list of treasure locations and medals? I took a quick look at Gamefaqs and didn't find anything.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Borys said:
8.4 seems a bit low.

8.4 from IGN is *really* low.
IGN that you're thinking of gave it 9.1
IGN UK is different crew.
Their last comment is, I dunno, weird. They can't possibly think TR series is more "inteligent", can they? There's so much dumb stuff in TR, from the braindead combat to the one dimensional characters (pretty much all of them except for Lara)

dark10x said:
Not really. Have you played Assassin's Creed? There isn't anything in Heavenly Sword that compares.
You're talking about the non-linear nature of AC, right? In that sense I agree. But I think HS looks quite a bit better, and its linear nature is probably helping it achieve that.

I don't see how so many people can be scoring this game in the 8 range. Reviewers have really started to let those little extras that add little to the game to mean way too much. No online leaderboard, this is our complaint? Not enough to do after you beat the game? Shitloads of unlockables aren't enough? Quit trying to justify the low score you already wanted to give, and actually score the game based on the damn game. Either that, or shove a pipe up your ass, and go play some shitty game with an online leaderboard, and talk about how happy you are to know your ranking while I'm busy wasting my time playing a more fun game.

JB1981

kaching said:
I'm looking forward to the soundtrack popping up on iTunes in a day or so (hopefully iTunes+). Whoever is charge of the general music production/selection for this game has been doing a bang up job, between the selection of composer for ingame music, the Massive Attack trailer and then the DJ Shadow remix. Really firing on all cylinders on the music front.

The orchestral score is wonderful. I've been humming it at work today. I think I'm gonna buy the score on iTunes as well.

dark10x

You're talking about the non-linear nature of AC, right? In that sense I agree. But I think HS looks quite a bit better, and its linear nature is probably helping it achieve that.
I'm talking about the size and scale of the environments. Heavenly Sword looks somewhat large, but it's very limited in where you can go. I feel that the vistas in AC are even more impressive and you can actually travel there if you wish.

Also, AC runs at a better framerate and, in my opinion, looks better overall (HS is very uneven). At times, HS is stunning, but then you have other areas that are actually borderline ugly (the snowy regions, for instance). Uncharted looks a whole lot better as well.

My opinions on a game are usually formed after I've thought about it for a while and looking back on HS, the absolutely awful framerate is the first thing that sticks out. :\ Everything they did with the engine ends up meaning nothing in the face of such poor performance.

Basch

UnchartedDrakesActor.jpg

This is the guy I believe you are looking for. Nathan Drake's actor is Nolan North. He kind of looks like him. :D This must be an old picture, though, because I swore he looked more like Drake in the photos in the Game Informer cover story.

JB1981

dark10x said:

Probably the most impressive game world I've seen all generation. Unfortunately the actual content of the game didn't recieve the same attention. Such a beautiful world, so little to do in it. That said, I am kind of looking forward to playing it tonight after work.

so I'm on Chapter 12 right now.....i'm getting freaky vibes of this title being on Half-Life levels for me.....yeah...I went there.....

Sho Nuff

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm talking about the size and scale of the environments. Heavenly Sword looks somewhat large, but it's very limited in where you can go. I feel that the vistas in AC are even more impressive and you can actually travel there if you wish.

Agreed. Heavenly Sword is like God of War, in that the camera is LOCKED DOWN. The devs know EXACTLY where the camera will be all the time and therefore can build their world to be very dense, because they know that the player will never be able to move into Area A while swinging the camera over into Area B, like Uncharted or AC.

Because of the camera limits God of War holds 60fps almost all the time. Why HS chugs along at 15fps (a travesty that blemishes the gorgeous animation) I will never know.

Firestreak said:
I don't see how so many people can be scoring this game in the 8 range. Reviewers have really started to let those little extras that add little to the game to mean way too much. No online leaderboard, this is our complaint? Not enough to do after you beat the game? Shitloads of unlockables aren't enough? Quit trying to justify the low score you already wanted to give, and actually score the game based on the damn game. Either that, or shove a pipe up your ass, and go play some shitty game with an online leaderboard, and talk about how happy you are to know your ranking while I'm busy wasting my time playing a more fun game.

To be fair, from what I understand, Ratchet appears to be more replayable since your weapons continually upgrade (through two tiers) and you keep most of your stuff through subsequent playthroughs, plus the fact that you have to play the game in a different way to keep your multiplier up.

For Uncharted, your only real motivation to replay the game is to find the treasures you missed the first time through and unlock the rest of the medals. The reviewer does have a point.

Borys said:
Stupid-ass question but does every Xbox 360 game have "online leaderboards" or online high-scores?

Just about....even when it doesn't really make sense!

----------

On an unrelated note, I'm 3 hours into the game and 47% complete according to my save, but I'm only on Chapter 8. Is the percentage indicator screwy, or are the later chapters shorter than the earlier ones?

Basch

UnchartedElenasActor.jpg

Oh, heck. While I'm at it, here is Elena Fisher's actress: Emily Rose. She does look quite like her. Is anybody else astounded that there was even a movement to bring back Elena's old style of hair a while ago? I laugh every single time I think about it. :lol

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's all in the manual, maybe there needs to be an in-game manual or something because people don't read manuals anymore.

I don't bother with manuals, for the most part. Eventually I'll look in it, but not until I've put in several hours into a game.

The in-game manual idea is excellent. It would not be difficult to implement, and would be INCREDIBLY useful to all players. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised developers don't this already.

Cheech

I finished this last night, and it was a phenomenal experience. Surely the best Indy game that was never made - the only thing missing was the whip and the John Williams score.

That said, if you're even a semi-hardcore gamer, I'm going to beg you to play it on the "Hard" difficulty level. I blew through the thing on "Normal" in about 8 hours, and wish I would have played through on a harder difficulty level.

dankir

Basch said:
There are 22 chapters total. And you got the wrong guy. :D

No I know who the actual voice actor is but when I first booted up the game I was like oh shit its the Firefly / Serenity guy.

M3Freak

Banned
Big-E said:
I don't understand how reviewers can present false information in a review. This is supposed to be professional journalism so they should go back and fix it like they would do in any local paper if they make a mistake.

That's the rub: they're not professionals. That's why they can get away with blatant lies, playing games half way through, etc.

I don't like the reviews gaming mags and sites are putting out for the PS3's premiere games. It's obvious, beyond any shadow of doubt, reviewers are lying in their reviews and knocking scores down based on those falsehoods. What they are saying doesn't match what we're playing.

Something fishy is going on...

Basch

dammitmattt said:
To be fair, from what I understand, Ratchet appears to be more replayable since your weapons continually upgrade (through two tiers) and you keep most of your stuff through subsequent playthroughs, plus the fact that you have to play the game in a different way to keep your multiplier up.

For Uncharted, your only real motivation to replay the game is to find the treasures you missed the first time through and unlock the rest of the medals. The reviewer does have a point.

This is what I want to see people move away from, because people have different tastes. Reviewers shouldn't run around wielding replay value as fact. Some people just do not prefer to go back into a game to get a couple of new weapons or upgrade them: sounds nice to me though :D . To me, games are becoming more and more like movies with their cinematic appeal. If anything, a game needs to succeed in Single Player in order for me to even think about replaying it. Just like a good movie, I will replay it over and over again for the quality experience. That is more replay value than I could even ask for. Note, there are exceptions, though: like if the game was built for multiplayer, Warhawk. :D

I can't believe people are mad over 8s and high 8 scores. That's really good! I could understand the upset if the game was getting 6s and 7s. You guys are crazy.

JB1981 said:
Probably the most impressive game world I've seen all generation. Unfortunately the actual content of the game didn't recieve the same attention. Such a beautiful world, so little to do in it. That said, I am kind of looking forward to playing it tonight after work.

Yeah, AC is just so insanely good looking, it makes you overlook some of it's gameplay drawbacks.

quetz67

Banned
Kittonwy said:
That's like saying one should be able to swim in the ocean across to some island when it has nothing to do with the game space or else it's not impressive, it's not like the geometry isn't LODed.

It's not fake though, see the cliff above the U-boat? You can go there, see the U-boat from up at the cliff? You can travel down and walk on top of it.
The difference is, in AC or Crysis you can mostly go everywhere while in Uncharted you cant. It doesnt make sense to have full detail versions available of what you can never reach.

And that goes for more than graphics. In Uncharted everything is linear and skripted (beside the actual fighting of course) so the game does not need to keep track of any gameplay data.

btw. IMO Lair cant hold a candle to Assassin's Creed, most stuff is pretty ugly up close. HS looks great but sure the distant scenery is a lot preLODed.

Nothing at all wrong with that, my only point is that Crysis doesnt compare very good to Uncharted from the nature of the technical challenges both faced.

zurra

finished this yesterday afternoon. loved every single minute of it. the intense gunfights, characters, dialogue, variety of the environments (sooooo much texture/level variety, every chapter felt unique), and
once the descendents showed up there was a real sense of CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPOMGRUN GET OUT
, it kept me up until 5 AM... then i got stuck in the
gunfight with the commandos in the bunker, when both sides are getting attacked by descendents
. situations like that were when the AI was just shining.

aside from the tearing (this stuff annoys me to no end), i have nothing negative to say about the graphics. even that wasn't very noticeable in the later levels. i can't wait to see what they do with this engine later on.

took me almost 12 hours, but i spent a lot of time looking around for treasure and taking in the sights. only got 38 treasures, though...

my favorite part in fights was shooting a guy in the arm right before he tosses a grenade, causing him to drop it and blow up himself and sometimes a friend. that made me giggle on so many occasions, and i never really meant to do it.

Big-E

GauntletFan said:
I can't believe people are mad over 8s and high 8 scores. That's really good! I could understand the upset if the game was getting 6s and 7s. You guys are crazy.

Comments like these drive me nuts. People here are mostly upset with the fact that a supposed professional site state false information in their review and use that information to formulate their score. Even if they gave it a 9.5 or a 9.7 or hell even a 10 people will still be bringing this up. You know why? Because its not true. If gaming journalism is ever going to grow up then corrections like this need to be made or gaming journalism is always going to be seen as glorified pr speak.

M3Freak

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I'm not worried about the reviewers and their agenda's though anymore. Most people who play through this game will probably feel the same as I do, maybe even more favorable. The game itself really makes most of these reviewers look like the clown shoes they are. Just like Resistance, as word of mouth goes around, more and more people will pick it up and be converted.

I have most of the gaming guys here at work sold on this game, and some of them are picking up PS3s because of it.

All I did was send them links to game trailers and the like of Uncharted. Even the xbox fanatics shut their traps.

tanod

when is my burrito
~Devil Trigger~ said:
so question to gAF... I dunno if Naughty Dog addressed this but, based on the ending can Uncharted be a series? another words, can we expect a sequel?
Uncharted: Quest for Antlantis?

That would give them an opportunity to "fix" the water, which if you've read interviews, they thought that was the weakest part of the game graphically.

Top Bottom