• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
As far as I see, neither MGS4 nor GT5 will be taking any graphical torches away from Uncharted (though there's an argument to be had for which of them takes more use of the hardware but I personally haven't seen any scenes that would convince me of superior code *shrug*).
Killzone 2 however will be the next torch bearer from what we have seen with nothing to follow as of yet (which most likely will be Uncharted 2 eventually based on ND's extreme working tempo).

What about Resistance 2?

Ceb

tanod said:
Between Uncharted, COD4 and R&C (if you've played them), is anybody else not as impressed with the graphics of MGS4, GT5 and other big games coming next year?
[/B]

CoD4 doesn't deserve to be mentioned with those other titles. At least when talking about visuals.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
As far as I see, neither MGS4 nor GT5 will be taking any graphical torches away from Uncharted (though there's an argument to be had for which of them takes more use of the hardware but I personally haven't seen any scenes that would convince me of superior code *shrug*).
Killzone 2 however will be the next torch bearer from what we have seen with nothing to follow as of yet (which most likely will be Uncharted 2 eventually based on ND's extreme working tempo).

I think that's related to the fact that Japanese dev community doesn't dig shaders as much as Western one.

EDit: Killzone 2 vs Resistance 2 - yeah, that will be a nice fight :)

Wollan

Firewire said:
What about Resistance 2?
I don't think so. I think R:FoM 2 base concept is so wildly different from KZ2 (higher numbers, faster speed) that they won't have the capacity for the finer effects KZ2 enjoys though there will be an argument for which takes greater use of the hardware of course.

PS! There will still be a good deal of enemies on screen in KZ2. Fourteen a.i driven ones (16 mp) was the max number for KZ1 and they state they have larger numbers active in KZ2.

TTP said:
I think that's related to the fact that Japanese dev community doesn't dig shaders as much as Western one.

Shaders or no shaders, GT5 smacks the hell out of any Western racer so they must be doing something right. And I still think MGS4's character models are superior to any other console game. KojiPro always seem to nail down the way humans should look.

SolidSnakex said:
Shaders or no shaders, GT5 smacks the hell out of any Western racer so they must be doing something right. And I still think MGS4's character models are superior to any other console game. KojiPro always seem to nail down the way humans should look.

The lighting in GT5 is godly. Technical breakdown or not, the way PD nailed their use of lighting is so damn realistic compared to others, especially the garage sequences, those are sick.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The GT5 Prologue demo disappointed me to be honest. Great lighting and models but shimmering/aliasing/framedrops makes it's like Monica Bellucci with a stain of shit on her cheeks.

Ceb

AltogetherAndrews said:
MGS4 impresses me with its characters (human and otherwise), in terms of design but also tech. Very smooth lines, or something. Other than that, it hasn't impressed me since TGS '05. It will be an interesting game as it will definitely test these new review standards. A long and well developed SP with fantastic production values, plenty of new ideas both in gameplay and presentation, and a multiplayer component to boot? Can't wait for those review threads.

"...while MGS4 does feature the best of both worlds by sticking with the tried-and-true MGS core mechanics all while borrowing elements from Gears of War, we can't help but wish that Kojima Productions had pushed the envelope in more ways. The FPS view doesn't control as smoothly as Call of Duty 4, the over-the-shoulder view is not as responsive as it was in Gears of War. The loading times between areas also reduce immersion - it would've been nice if MGS4 had featured the same loading-free streaming technology used in games like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Also, even though the cutscenes are meticulously rendered and the story that plays out is one of gaming's finest, some people might find the constant breaks from the gameplay action to be annoying.

Lastly, while MGS4 does include an online multiplayer mode, the levels and game modes are simply too few in numbers for it to have a real lasting appeal.

Final rating: 8.9"

That's only the top of the iceberg, methinks.

TTP said:
The GT5 Prologue demo disappointed me to be honest. Great lighting and models but shimmering/aliasing/framedrops makes it's like Monica Bellucci with a stain of shit on her cheeks.

In the end it's still Monica Bellucci so no one in their right mind would complain.

DarkKyo

Showdown

Sooo.. how exactly do you kill Navarro who can't be killed and can kill you in one hit?... not really getting this last boss thing

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
I don't think so. I think R:FoM 2 base concept is so wildly different from KZ2 (higher numbers, faster speed) that they won't have the capacity for the finer effects KZ2 enjoys though there will be an argument for which takes greater use of the hardware of course.

PS! There will still be a good deal of enemies on screen in KZ2. Fourteen a.i driven ones (16 mp) was the max number for KZ1 and they state they have larger numbers active in KZ2.

This is something I've been wondering about. I'm not sure how many players will end up online in K2. I don't think we will see 40, but I'm wondering if if they can pull off 32 player online.

Wollan

I think we will see a round 20. I like round numbers.

PS! Sony BattleChest: KZ2, R:Fom 1 & 2, Warhawk, Socom 4. 99$ November 08, make it happen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
I think we will see a round 20. I like round numbers.

To be honest, the fewer the better. Communication is much easier in a small team and adds to the strategy IMO. For me, 16 (8 vs 8) is the perfect number.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, the aliasing in Prologue demo was quite pronounced. I certainly hope they are putting a shitton of resources towards fixing that.

Doesn't the game use 4xAA as is in 720p, 2xAA in 1080p, amazing as is considering how few games would even use that much AA especially at those resolutions on consoles. I don't know how much more AA you can get than that on consoles realistically especially at the performance PD wants for their GT games.

Keep it on topic, ladies.

I'd have to say that I agree with Chiggs so far. I wanted more Tomb Raider/Prince of Persia (which Uncharted does extremely well thanks to the amazingly fluid platforming controls) and less Gears of War (which I don't think Uncharted does as well, for a variety of reasons). I wish there were some actual puzzles in the game, especially ones that utilize the nice physics engine they seem to have. I also wish that the enemies were bigger and the guns had more kick. It gets better in the second half of the game when you get bigger and better weapons, but I still don't get any kind of visceral feel like I get from a really good shooter. Also, the second jet ski sequence was just annoying. No one wants to dodge exploding barrels while you are getting shot at and fighting the current.

One thing that I am surprised about is how much I love the characters. They did a great job casting each and every role, and the direction/production of the cutscenes is as good as it gets in video games. One other thing that they did right was the checkpoints. The more the merrier, I say. I don't have the patience that I used to so it's nice to have frequent checkpoints, especially since you can do so quickly in the second half of the game.

Solid B+ so far for me, right in line with the EGM reviews. Still doesn't come close to the pure fun of Ratchet, which is an A++++ for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jesus... EB here still didn't get the game. They're telling me "probably on 21st". Seriously, WTF, are they in a different country than all those other stores in Canada that got the game three days ago?

Wollan

Firewire said:
20 would be a major disappointment, please tell me you're joking!
I'm not joking? R:Fom 2 will be the one to watch if you want high numbers. I'm expecting an upgrade to 60 with vehicles..etc.

TTP said:
But it stinks!

I get your point, I guess that question is when GT5 is released do you really expect it to have the same issues that a demo did? At last years TGS the framerate for GTHD was apparently horrible, they didn't really have any of the lighting in place among other things and yet when they released the demo later that year all those things had been fixed. They aren't going to release GT5 and allow it to have slowdown.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dechaios said:
Showdown

Sooo.. how exactly do you kill Navarro who can't be killed and can kill you in one hit?... not really getting this last boss thing
Easy: *SPOILER ALERT*
Listen to his gun fires. There's a rhythm in them. First take out all the guys and then he moves on to the next section. In the last section, you have to take cover and keep getting closer to him until you can punch him. Press Triangle and then square when the visual cues come on screen. You both fall down and he runs for his gun, run fast as hell towards him and repeat this step. Voila!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
I get your point, I guess that question is when GT5 is released do you really expect it to have the same issues that a demo did? At last years TGS the framerate for GTHD was apparently horrible, they didn't really have any of the lighting in place among other things and yet when they released the demo later that year all those things had been fixed. They aren't going to release GT5 and allow it to have slowdown.

Well, I do hope improvements will be made of course. I didn't say GT5 will suck. I just said I was disappointed by the GT5 Prologue demo.

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
I'm not joking? R:Fom 2 will be the one to watch if you want high numbers. I'm expecting an upgrade to 60 with vehicles..etc.

Well like I said, I'm hoping for 32 player online. As for Resistance 2 going 60 player with vehicles, something tells me its a dream!

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:

Holly shit! I've never seen that commercial, its so awesome!

As for 60 player with vehicles for Resistance 2, the maps would have to be huge, at least 2 times the size of the current 40 player maps, is it really doable?

k1.jpg

Wollan

Insomniac. Believe.

They also said before the release of R:Fom that they had servers running with quite higher numbers without problems but they decided to keep it at a round 40 for the launch title.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Some of you guys check out the rewards you get for unlocking shit? Try out the "Next-Gen Filter". :lol :lol :lol

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
Insomniac. Believe.

They also said before the release of R:Fom that they had servers running with quite higher numbers without problems but they decided to keep it at a round 40 for the launch title.

That really is impressive! I guess if anyone can do it, its Insomniac!

spwolf

TTP said:
Well, I do hope improvements will be made of course. I didn't say GT5 will suck. I just said I was disappointed by the GT5 Prologue demo.

which is fine, but ppl need to understand is not the same if demo is released with 3-4 month old code and final code, just like GT5P and Uncharted demos are...

deepbrown

Anybody noticed how many Xbox magazine there are...and they give out 10's like noones business. OXMUK, OXMUS, OXMJapan, MSXbox, TeamXbox, XboxEvolved. The ps3 needs some more lol

sprocket

Banned
TTP said:

EDit: Killzone 2 vs Resistance 2 - yeah, that will be a nice fight :)

Japaneses devs still prefer the "texture by faces" method compared to using RGB maps and tiles.

weird huh.

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:
Well like I said, I'm hoping for 32 player online. As for Resistance 2 going 60 player with vehicles, something tells me its a dream!

For gameplay purposes and numbers we've been able to get consistently on a nightly basis. 20 seems to be about right. The nights were rare that we'd ever have more than 20 people at one time.

spwolf

deepbrown said:
Anybody noticed how many Xbox magazine there are...and they give out 10's like noones business. OXMUK, OXMUS, OXMJapan, MSXbox, TeamXbox, XboxEvolved. The ps3 needs some more lol

did anyone notice how official playstation mags dont really give out many 10's to first party games? On the other hand, competition seems to have written that into contract. :D

Nightz

So I'm on Chapter 20 now and I'm absolutely loving the game. The one gripe I have with the game is the little twist that the game throws at you in the latter levels. Here I was thinking that I was playing an awesome game
with only human characters, then all of a sudden there's monsters everywhere
. That was a WTF moment for me. It didn't kill the game for me, but my excitement about the game dropped down a tiny tiny bit.

So will these monsters actually play a role later on in the game, or were they just put there for the heck of it? Let me know please, I don't mind if you spoil it for me.

I love this game so much.
I cant remember the last time I enjoyed a game so tremendously that everytime I would die I get excited to try the same section using a different tactic(okay im going to try and stealth kill that other guy and use my one grenade on the guy perched up high so I can climb up there and have a vantage point on everyone) I never lose cause the AI cheated or I got snagged on something its always cause they outflanked me or did a really good job keeping me stuck in a spot.

satori

Finish the game in one sitting. Simply amazing. First game my Fiance was able to watch from start to finish. I can not see how this game can get anything less than a 9. Yes score means jack shit, I know that, but with millions of people affected by reviews...

I do not remember having this much fun and being this engross in a game before. From start to finish, it was a great experience and well worth the money spent on it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, so thus far (read start of chapter 2) I think the graphics look superb, the cutscenes are well directed, the sound design is great, and blah blah blah.

But this is now the second time that Drake has made some allusion to Sully's sex life. It's actually making me kind of uncomfortable. :lol

I do like Hennig, and I'm sure the story will be great (and excepting those two little incidents I don't think there are any egregious sins here), but...wtf. How weird.

edit: third comment of this nature. w.t.f. omg sexpot totals

Xtyle

Nightz said:
So I'm on Chapter 20 now and I'm absolutely loving the game. The one gripe I have with the game is the little twist that the game throws at you in the latter levels. Here I was thinking that I was playing an awesome game
. That was a WTF moment for me. It didn't kill the game for me, but my excitement about the game dropped down a tiny tiny bit.

So will these monsters actually play a role later on in the game, or were they just put there for the heck of it? Let me know please, I don't mind if you spoil it for me.

They are only in a level or 2 and there isn't anymore stories about them.

satori said:
Finish the game in one sitting. Simply amazing. First game my Fiance was able to watch from start to finish. I can not see how this game can get anything less than a 9. Yes score means jack shit, I know that, but with millions of people affected by reviews...

I do not remember having this much fun and being this engross in a game before. From start to finish, it was a great experience and well worth the money spent on it.

Yeah along with Ratchet this is one of the few games my wife can sit down for a good chunk of time and just watch.

Synless

Nightz said:

You'll see what it is soon enough.

Kittonwy

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Keep it on topic, ladies.

I'd have to say that I agree with Chiggs so far. I wanted more Tomb Raider/Prince of Persia (which Uncharted does extremely well thanks to the amazingly fluid platforming controls) and less Gears of War (which I don't think Uncharted does as well, for a variety of reasons). I wish there were some actual puzzles in the game, especially ones that utilize the nice physics engine they seem to have. I also wish that the enemies were bigger and the guns had more kick. It gets better in the second half of the game when you get bigger and better weapons, but I still don't get any kind of visceral feel like I get from a really good shooter. Also, the second jet ski sequence was just annoying. No one wants to dodge exploding barrels while you are getting shot at and fighting the current.

One thing that I am surprised about is how much I love the characters. They did a great job casting each and every role, and the direction/production of the cutscenes is as good as it gets in video games. One other thing that they did right was the checkpoints. The more the merrier, I say. I don't have the patience that I used to so it's nice to have frequent checkpoints, especially since you can do so quickly in the second half of the game.

Solid B+ so far for me, right in line with the EGM reviews. Still doesn't come close to the pure fun of Ratchet, which is an A++++ for me.

I disagree, Uncharted did Gears of War better than Gears of War, ESPECIALLY in the AI department, there's simply no comparison. The problem is balancing the "kick" with precision, and I think Uncharted definitely has the edge over Gears, it's not just the visceral feeling which Uncharted does well, but PLAYABILITY. Try going back to Gears and try to move around, in and out of cover, the tactical, movement and aiming aspect of Uncharted absolutely spoils Gears.

Top Bottom