• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nightz said:
So I'm on Chapter 20 now and I'm absolutely loving the game. The one gripe I have with the game is the little twist that the game throws at you in the latter levels. Here I was thinking that I was playing an awesome game
with only human characters, then all of a sudden there's monsters everywhere
. That was a WTF moment for me. It didn't kill the game for me, but my excitement about the game dropped down a tiny tiny bit.

So will these monsters actually play a role later on in the game, or were they just put there for the heck of it? Let me know please, I don't mind if you spoil it for me.

They fit right in with the story. You'll see.

Nightz

Synless said:
You'll see what it is soon enough.
Yeah
I've seen what caused it and how they came to be, and I think I've gotten past the parts where you fight those things
but I was just wondering if there was more to it than that.

Apparently not, according to bigben. It's probably just me, but when Nathan gets to the room where the film reel was rolling, when I saw the guy in the reel I immediately thought "Nathan Hale". Didn't really get a good look though. :p

Nightz said:
So I'm on Chapter 20 now and I'm absolutely loving the game. The one gripe I have with the game is the little twist that the game throws at you in the latter levels. Here I was thinking that I was playing an awesome game
. That was a WTF moment for me. It didn't kill the game for me, but my excitement about the game dropped down a tiny tiny bit.

So will these monsters actually play a role later on in the game, or were they just put there for the heck of it? Let me know please, I don't mind if you spoil it for me.

Of course it fits in with the story. Nate goes goes from wanting to find and get rich off of El Dorado to wanting to stop anyone from taking it. He wants to contain the curse, which is what Sir Francis was doing as well. I like the twist and I think it has substance. Hell, it makes the whole story come together and make sense. I think you will see it more if you start another play through.

Kittonwy

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Of course it fits in with the story. Nate goes goes from wanting to find and get rich off of El Dorado to wanting to stop anyone from taking it. He wants to contain the curse, which is what Sir Francis was doing as well. I like the twist and I think it has substance. Hell, it makes the whole story come together and make sense. I think you will see it more if you start another play through.

I think it ended up making the character heroic instead of just being a treasure hunter which I think is what makes a truly great classic action-adventure title.

Kittonwy said:
I disagree, Uncharted did Gears of War better than Gears of War, ESPECIALLY in the AI department, there's simply no comparison. The problem is balancing the "kick" with precision, and I think Uncharted definitely has the edge over Gears, it's not just the visceral feeling which Uncharted does well, but PLAYABILITY. Try going back to Gears and try to move around, in and out of cover, the tactical, movement and aiming aspect of Uncharted absolutely spoils Gears.

I agree 1000 percent. Gears just feels clunky now.

Xtyle

cjtiger300 said:

yes it does fit in with the theme and story of the game, however, there really is no more story elements about them other then they are cursed.

cjtiger300 said:
I agree 1000 percent. Gears just feels clunky now.

Not to sound too dramatic but I went a played Gears again last night and it really feels so damn confining now you just feel like you cant do a damn thing. But active reload still kicks ass.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Almost through chapter 2. Quite a bit of platforming. I didn't think it would be this platform heavy! Controls like a dream. Really love it so far.

Xtyle

1 thing I think would be cool to be in the sequel is that there should be more shoot outs when your are platforming. there is only maybe 2 times I remember when you are trying to cross the river and these guys shoot you about the waterfall or somewhere.

more of that would be cool...now the platforming and action/shooting are kind of separated.

Firewire

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Almost through chapter 2. Quite a bit of platforming. I didn't think it would be this platform heavy! Controls like a dream. Really love it so far.

You haven't seen anything yet! It only gets better & better!

Kittonwy said:
I think it ended up making the character heroic instead of just being a treasure hunter which I think is what makes a truly great classic action-adventure title.

exactly, and I have noticed more to it in my new play through. I think the story is just awesome. I was fully engrossed with all of the characters.

What I don't get is the whole "this game didn't do anything new" crowd. To me Naughty Dog just about did everything perfect. The production in this game has no peer. The platforming was very fun, and the controls just felt right. To me that is what is most important. The game play just felt great. To me, this game is a 10/10. It has some very small flaws, which the game hides very well.

Plus it gave me more Holy Shit moments than any other game I have played. On some scenes I would just sit there and stare at the awesomeness of the scenery. This game just does so much stuff right, and I think that is why most of us are upset about the "low scores".

I love the game and can't wait for part two. Please Naughty Dog start on part 2 now. And please keep all of the important Voice Talent. The voice work was part of what made this game unique and pretty much debunks the "this game did nothing new crowd". The movie feel to this game is unmatched and I think ND should be commended for it.

bigben85 said:
yes it does fit in with the theme and story of the game, however, there really is no more story elements about them other then they are cursed.

what else is there to say really?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapter 3 was one of the best tomb raider levels I've ever played! :lol So awesome and the vista above the boat was beautiful.

Loudninja

dralla said:
anyone watch the GT review? anyone have a quick summary, don't want to watch it

1.They suck at melee
2.Bitch about no online leader boards, or co-op play
3.Saying there is no real reason to come bak to the game after you beat it

Thats all i got

bigben85 said:

Not really. I'd say it completes the story nicely. It sets up the story point that Navarro wants to sell the statue to the highest bidder (presumably a terrorist or government that would use the "curse" as a weapon) and thus, Nathan must stop him, which means Nathan is actually finishing the work of his ancestor, Francis Drake.

This is a great way to for the plot to tie Nathan back to his heritage, which was lost for a century until Nathan started the quest, and then almost lost again when Nathan found Francis Drake's body and basically gave up.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Loudninja said:
1.They suck at melee

Thats all i got
you forgot to mention how he considers the AI dumb, which makes me wonder how he feels about other titles' AI. Retartded, brainless zombies? This is the best AI I've seen since FEAR. It might even top FEAR.

spwolf

Loudninja said:
1.They suck at melee

Thats all i got

also said AI was bad. :lol

J-Rzez

Playing through it again, I'm still picking out details I missed during my first go. The AI in harder difficulties is insane. Not really that they're "ace-shots", but also the way they flank and move up on you faster. It's amazing seeing these nimble guys using the cover fire from the big dude blind firing the shotgun at you while they baseball slide into cover. Seriously it's the best AI i've experienced in a game this gen, I think it tops Resistance and Halo no doubt.

Once again, Uncharted has moved the bar to a different level. I don't think any game this gen has the overall polish, fit, finish, wow, and fun that this game has. All that with what's it called again? A story? Especially one that makes you want to play through the game to see how it unfolds?

GOTY. GOTG so far (g for gen :p).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dralla said:
anyone watch the GT review? anyone have a quick summary, don't want to watch it

Nah, you don't want to watch it. It goes downhill with inaccuracies from the moment he mentioned Romancing the Stone starring Kirk Douglas (hint...). I'm honestly not even sure why the hell he used Romancing the Stone. The Mummy or Indiana Jones fits the story much more than this. :lol

I don't care about the score, just get the facts right.

nice I got $16 back from circuit city when bought uncharted today.

they give a $10 gift card with purchase (advertised in weekly ad) but they also applied my 10% gamer card to it in addition so $10 gift card back, and saved $6 off the price also

cleveridea said:
nice I got $16 back from circuit city when bought uncharted today.

they give a $10 gift card with purchase (advertised in weekly ad) but they also applied my 10% gamer card to it in addition so $10 gift card back, and saved $6 off the price also

Well, it looks like I know where I'm buying Uncharted.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
spwolf said:
also said AI was bad. :lol

yea, I dont understand how people praise Gears and Halo 3 AI but not this. They're basically the same. Uncharted enemies are in fact a bit more savage with the flanking

Chiggs

Gold Member
~Devil Trigger~ said:
yea, I dont understand how people praise Gears and Halo 3 AI but not this. They're basically the same. Uncharted enemies are in fact a bit more savage with the flanking

Uncharted's enemies, from what I've experienced, will push forward, then retreat, then push forward, then retreat, then flank, etc, etc. They can be pretty crafty. I'll occasionally seem the requisite "stupid AI" moment, when they charge right up to you or stand there and do nothing, but the AI overall is pretty good...certainly as good as Halo 3, IMO.

What separates the difficulty modes? I'm playing it on easy because I wanted to just blast through it with minimal frustration for the first play through. Is the AI different? Is their aim better or something, or can they take more damage?

Dante

notjackbauer said:
What separates the difficulty modes? I'm playing it on easy because I wanted to just blast through it with minimal frustration for the first play through. Is the AI different? Is their aim better or something, or can they take more damage?

They still use the same strategies as far as i can tell, I think it's just they are slower, and you can take more damage.

I'd go with hard, it's honestly not that much more difficult, it's just perfect. Now crushing on the other hand.....

Awntawn

Chiggs said:
Uncharted's enemies, from what I've experienced, will push forward, then retreat, then push forward, then retreat, then flank, etc, etc. They can be pretty crafty. I'll occasionally seem the requisite "stupid AI" moment, when they charge right up to you or stand there and do nothing, but the AI overall is pretty good...certainly as good as Halo 3, IMO.
Have you gotten to the church yet? They won't retreat there, they get an angle on you then shoot you until you're dead 3;

The pirate AI seems purposely toned down, possibly to ease players into the combat system. The
mercenary
AI is really when they start turning it up, which makes sense because they're professional soldiers. They aim like a fucking bitch too 3;

Nightz said:

I'm with you there, I hate that shit. I blame Halo. But I have to admit, it does add a level of suspense and it mixes things up to keep it fresh.

Kittonwy

Banned
notjackbauer said:

AI is more aggressive and Drake can take less and less damage, which means you can't take all day to aim for that headshot. In crushing the enemies will constantly rush your position, flush you out with grenades, pin you down while one of their guys tries to outflank you, basically make Drake's life miserable. I think the AI in hard and crushing uses cover extremely effectively.

I really haven't suffered a cheap death even once during my first playthrough which is on hard, and none so far on my second playthrough on crushing. There's really no real way to cheese the enemies either, which is also good.

Kittonwy

Banned
Chiggs said:

What difficulty are you playing it on?

On crushing if you're hanging on a ledge they would get close to your spot while still try to use cover, and if they have the angle on you, even if you're in partial cover they'll still nail you when they get the angle on you.

I'm not sure how playable the game would be if they turn up the AI even further, on crushing they're nasty SOBs, both in terms of the number of enemies they throw at the player and the level of AI, I think they're right at the point where it's challenging but if they throw anymore enemies or if the AI is smarter it would make life a living hell for the player.

Kittonwy

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:

Having finished Gears on hardcore and HALO3 on normal and heroic, Uncharted on hard definitely has better AI, not sure about legendary on HALO3 since I haven't played it yet but I think the AI on crushing is really as far as they can really go before the game becomes unplayable. Frankly the AI in Gears on hardcore is shit compared to Uncharted AI on hard, maybe it's probably because locusts are supposed to be dumbfucks.

damn. I know i play thing kind of fast, but I'm looking around for treasures and I only found 24 on my first play. I'm halfway through a second run, and ive only found one more. If I can't find a few more, i'm going to find a list.

VonGak!

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Having finished Gears on hardcore and HALO3 on normal and heroic, Uncharted on hard definitely has better AI, not sure about legendary on HALO3 since I haven't played it yet but I think the AI on crushing is really as far as they can really go before the game becomes unplayable. Frankly the AI in Gears on hardcore is shit compared to Uncharted AI on hard, maybe it's probably because locusts are supposed to be dumbfucks.

And the gift of auto aim? ^.^

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
damn. I know i play thing kind of fast, but I'm looking around for treasures and I only found 24 on my first play. I'm halfway through a second run, and ive only found one more. If I can't find a few more, i'm going to find a list.

I've found 56 rawr.
angry.gif

BobTheFork said:

I only found 29, and I'm usually good at this sort of thing.

Uncharted's pace and the no-loading thing kinda makes it tough to be disciplined and search every area thoroughly. It's soooooo much fun to get in the groove and just blast your way through. :)

Pristine_Condition said:

Uncharted's pace and the no-loading thing kinda makes it tough to be disciplined and search every area thoroughly. It's soooooo much fun to get in the groove and just blast your way through. :)
Very true. I managed to grab almost all the medals. Killing people with a grenade while hanging on a ledge is a straight bitch.

Ploid 3.0

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Alien AI >>>>>> x43 human AI. It's a known rule.

44 Treasures
570 Medal Points

I really enjoyed the ending, too. Predictable, but perfectly executed. Any tips for the tough medals? Specifically the Hangman medals as well as the hidden one below Dyno-Might.

Pristine_Condition said:

I know I have to remind myself to stop with the gun ho mentality and turn around and search the areas I have cleared.

Wollan

I can't believe EBGames and Gamestop. Uncharted is almost nowhere to be seen on their site. On the PS3 section you can only see a small icon of it on the right alongside a handful of others. Nowhere can you see it in the main sections.

deepbrown

spwolf said:
did anyone notice how official playstation mags dont really give out many 10's to first party games? On the other hand, competition seems to have written that into contract. :D
*nods silently* The official Playstation magazine is harsher than most lol

jet1911

Wollan said:
I can't believe EBGames and Gamestop. Uncharted is almost nowhere to be seen on their site. On the PS3 section you can only see a small icon of it on the right alongside a handful of others. Nowhere can you see it in the main sections.

I hope it won't bomb like the majority of big PS3 games. :/

Top Bottom