• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
CSSer said:
so... gamespot gave it an 8.0
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...l?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;reviews

The Good
* Lush jungle environments are stunningly realized
* Drake's animations are nuanced and naturalistic.

The Bad
* Tough and plentiful enemies can make firefights frustrating
* Platforming elements can be too forgiving
* Certain story elements are underdeveloped.

Gamespot sucks at games.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is not a game about new ideas. The gameplay can and has been summed up as "Tomb Raider meets Gears of War," and the story plays almost like an unfilmed National Treasure script, which is another way of saying that the Indiana Jones influence on the story is palpable.

Is every Uncharted review written by the same guy? Do they just then decide to throw a dart on a scoreboard to determine the score for the game afterwards?

The supporting cast includes your friend Scully,

Sully you dickhead! Sully! Short for SULLIVAN!

There's a little bit of motion control wedged into a few spots, but their pretty halfhearted, which makes it a bit of a relief that they don't show up that often.

"They are..." or "They're"

If nothing else, Uncharted is a graphical showcase for the PlayStation 3, and it dazzles the senses at nearly every opportunity.

Talking about selling the game short. Way short. Holy shit short.

~Kinggi~

Banned
From what i've seen of the game i wasn't expecting much higher than an 8.5. Seems about right across the various sites. Pretty much in the 8 range.

Core407

Banned
So I have this continuing theory that seems to be validated a lot lately, where the score of a game is completely relational to the reviewers ability and skill in playing games. Seems like if you want to make something actually challenging in gameplay, you'll automatically be docked points from half-assed reviewers who are sorry excuses for gamers.

The game being docked for not being original? What the fuck is original nowadays anyways? Gears of War sure wasn't original and neither was a game like Prince of Persia.

reilo

~Kinggi~ said:
From what i've seen of the game i wasn't expecting much higher than an 8.5. Seems about right across the various sites. Pretty much in the 8 range.

And what would you give it from what you've played of the game?

...oh wait.

Kittonwy

Banned
CSSer said:
so... gamespot gave it an 8.0
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...l?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;reviews

The Good
* Lush jungle environments are stunningly realized
* Drake's animations are nuanced and naturalistic.

The Bad
* Tough and plentiful enemies can make firefights frustrating
* Platforming elements can be too forgiving
* Certain story elements are underdeveloped.

Holy fuck.

Firefight too HARD = whine
Platforming too EASY = whine

WTF.

Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
reilo said:

Gamespot sucks at games.

Is every Uncharted review written by the same guy? Do they just then decide to throw a dart on a scoreboard to determine the score for the game afterwards?

Sully you dickhead! Sully! Short for SULLIVAN!

"They are..." or "They're"

Talking about selling the game short. Way short. Holy shit short.

That review is fucking half-hearted.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Core407 said:
So I have this continuing theory that seems to be validated a lot lately, where the score of a game is completely relational to the reviewers ability and skill in playing games.
I have no idea how assigning reviews usually works, but I hope at least they all get someone who expresses interest in the game to review it. You wouldn't want me to review an RPG or a traditional sports game, no matter how good a game in the genre it is :-D

SSM25

so the GT guy played three chapters on easy and wrote the review.......and the GS guy played the game on frustrating difficulty

Core407

Banned
Marconelly said:
I have no idea how assigning reviews usually works, but I hope at least they all get someone who expresses interest in the game to review it. You wouldn't want me to review an RPG or a traditional sports game, no matter how good a game in the genre it is.

Agreed. They need to have genre specific reviewers. No one likes all genres of games and no one is great at all genres of games. The reviewer should have some kind of familiarity with the genre the game he is reviewing is in. I don't really know too much about soccer so me reviewing Pro Evo would be the worst thing ever. I'd probably overlook so many things that people demand from a game like that, that it would completely ruin the integrity of the review.

reilo

AltogetherAndrews said:
So it's official, tough and plentiful enemies, that's a bad thing. Jesus fucking Christ.

Reminds me when Greg K gave DMC3 a 8.6 because it was, essentially, "too difficult."

Then he gave DMC3: SE an even lower score because it was "too easy."

Make up your fucking minds!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In other news I found Uncharted in local Future Shop. It was the very last copy they had on the display (in the same display they had 10+ R&C copies) so I guess it sold out there.

For the first time in history of this town, FS had a game earlier than EB, and I got it, despite preordering at EB. I'll just move those $5 towards future purchase of Assassin's Creed.

Now we (wife and I) have the game, staring at the disc, and debating whether to start playing it before DS3 has arrived from Japan. I was expecting it today, but no luck. Tomorrow probably.

reilo said:
Reminds me when Greg K gave DMC3 a 8.6 because it was, essentially, "too difficult."
Well, there will probably never be a game that everyone likes. I in fact, can't stand so many 9+ scoring games that it's unbelievable. I just don't talk much about them.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I love this game so much.
I cant remember the last time I enjoyed a game so tremendously that everytime I would die I get excited to try the same section using a different tactic(okay im going to try and stealth kill that other guy and use my one grenade on the guy perched up high so I can climb up there and have a vantage point on everyone) I never lose cause the AI cheated or I got snagged on something its always cause they outflanked me or did a really good job keeping me stuck in a spot.
Stop it, stop it! That's how I felt about what little of demo I played!! But I must stay strong, have to play it with DS3 dammit.

Btw, I remember you liked my countdown - did you get to see the end-animation when it expired? :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Bought this today because 1) I want to play it of course and 2) im trying to sell my buddy on a PSTrip and I think this game will do the trick. :lol

J-Rzez

Another review, another set of fucking clown shoes. Glad to see my scale works properly once again:

PS3 high-profile exclusive: +.5-1.5. So a 9.5 sounds about right. Seriously, reviewing games are a joke anymore. An all time low.

J-Rzez said:
Another review, another set of fucking clown shoes. Glad to see my scale works properly once again:

PS3 high-profile exclusive: +.5-1.5. So a 9.5 sounds about right. Seriously, reviewing games are a joke anymore. An all time low.

I don't normally agree with you, but really. Critics, you sucky assclown fucks, you suck.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
J-Rzez said:

Hold on! Their Mass Effect review just crushes your theory down in flames! :lol

But yeah, it's a shame some people reviewing Uncharted weren't more enamored with it for whatever reason. I really want to see this game do well so that there can be sequels and more similar games from other devs, and every little thing helps.

Kittonwy

Banned
J-Rzez said:

I've never seen a site bash a game for smart AI, but now I've seen them all.
Indifferent2.gif

Dez

Just bought the game, have reached the part where the demo starts (chapter 4 i think?). So far it's really cool. What makes the game better than the run of the mill action adventure is definitely the presentation. The DTS sound is awesome, as is the soundtrack.

I can never be wowed by the graphics as much as some people here because of the frequent tearing. The game isn't playing by the same rules as other graphically impressive games. It also cheats by prerecording its cutscenes. I'm sure they would be a mess if they tried to show those in realtime (tearing!).

TEH-CJ

Banned
Dez said:
Just bought the game, have reached the part where the demo starts (chapter 4 i think?). So far it's really cool. What makes the game better than the run of the mill action adventure is definitely the presentation. The DTS sound is awesome, as is the soundtrack.

I can never be wowed by the graphics as much as some people here because of the frequent tearing. The game isn't playing by the same rules as other graphically impressive games. It also cheats by prerecording its cutscenes. I'm sure they would be a mess if they tried to show those in realtime (tearing!).

Stop playing it in 1080i

Loudninja

Actually gamespot review was pretty good, I dont agree with some things though, Platforming elements can be too forgiving is pretty stupid, that would have made them even more mad

Dez

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Rules? What rules?

The rule that you should sync your output with the Veritical Blank signal. It's generally been an unwritten rule of console gaming, though lately, a lot of developers are ignoring it. The performance gain by not adhering to Vsync was too much for them to pass up I guess.

TTP said:
The not quite 720p ones I guess.

haha. Actually, I would gladly take a resolution hit in Uncharted for a stable, vsync'ed framerate.

Loudninja

CCC reviews Uncharted 4.8/5
http://www.cheatcc.com/ps3/rev/uncharteddrakesfortunereview2.html

5.0 Graphics
Wow--like playing a movie!
4.8 Control
From platforming to puzzling, shooting to fighting control is intuitive and seamless. Could have done without the SIXAXIS log balancing.
5.0 Music / Sound FX / Voice Acting
Movie-caliber orchestral score and VO, and amazing ambient effects.
4.8 Play Value
Next-gen action/adventure gaming has arrived! Lengthy cinematic campaign. Croft faithfuls might crave more puzzles.
4.8 Overall Rating - Must Buy
Not an average. See Rating legend above for a final score breakdown.

Raziel

Ryan Davis has made no secret that he's not particularly good at challenging games. Gamespot usually assigns him to games accordingly but Uncharted is definitely outside the norm for him. That's just a bad break for Uncharted IMO.

Dez said:
The rule that you should sync your output with the Veritical Blank signal. The performance gain by not adhering to Vsync was too much for them to pass up I guess.

Pffftt. That's not a rule. That's a performance choice. Looking at all the other impressive looking games, can't see how that one area is only thing to pinpoint considering all the various technical feats.

tanod

when is my burrito
What I like the most is that the enemies don't take more hits to go down in harder difficulties, they just move and maneuver around so much more that it's more difficult to get a good shot at them. The AI in this game is pretty fucking smart.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dez said:
haha. Actually, I would gladly take a resolution hit in Uncharted for a stable, vsync'ed framerate.

Well, me too to be honest. But I think that would have been too much. There are levels which run perfectly as it is. I think they should have optimized the game a tad bit more.

Top Bottom