• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Hellaiced

As far as people talking about limited amount of copies for this game. I work at a 20k Best Buy store aka one of the small one's. We only got 4 COPIES of Uncharted. I snagged one myself. So I would say that retailers didn't order enough of this amazing game. So far I am highly impressed.

Basch said:
Again, it's not about the review scores. The comments made therein those reviews are supposed to inform gamers: truth is a necessity. Of course, opinions are nice to hear, but they are designed to complement the objective based points. There will always be people who are not interested in even the most popular games, so opinions should not overide what is made to be an informative guide to the audience. What is even sadder in my opinion is the fact that some do not even care about poor journalism. Something could be done to stop it, but, alas, indifference takes its toll.

By the way, after the last comment you made, you just lost all credibility you may have had left with me, which was already considerably low. Matter of fact, I find it ironic how you decided to comment on poor people like me who care for reviews (yeah, right) and then decide to throw your own review out there: at least three times as well. On top of that, earlier, you gave a few impressions, said you were not finished yet with the game, and slapped on a score of a B+. So I take it you finished the game now. I don't know what made you think that a B+ was an 80-85. By all acounts a B+ is around an 87-89. Did you not like the ending? I haven't played the game myself, but I'm having a hard time believing that you even tried to remain unbiased throughout the duration of the game. Maybe, I'm just misreading what you meant, but, if that is the case, then you need to work on your communication skills.

2007 has been a great year for games; I'm still catching up from 2006. There are many games to play, and fortunately I am biased to no system. I enjoy many offerings from each system. But right now, I'm planning on digging into some Resistance: Fall of Man to check out the level designs in multiplayer. Yes, by myself, I find them so fascinating. I can't put any major amount of playtime in the single player campaign, yet, as I have still to beat Half-Life 2's campaign. I can only play two to three games at a time or else I get too distracted and won't get back to one of the games I'm playing. A good portion of the games I'm playing now, though, have to be finished by Christmas, so I can donate my whole time to Uncharted. :D

I'm off this week on vacation and I chose to play Uncharted over Super Mario Galaxy all day. I liked the game a lot. And the purpose of this thread is to give our opinions, which is why I gave mine. I didn't shit on other people's opinions of the game, but almost everyone in the thread is shitting all over any site that has any perceived bias towards the game or the system.

What in the world do you mean unbiased?!? I spent $60 of my own money and spent about 10 hours of my time playing Uncharted. What do I have to be biased about? The only thing that Uncharted had to live up to was my high expectations of Naughty Dog combining two of my favorite games into one. Yes, I beat it, and yes I loved the ending (though not as much the final boss section), and yes, it didn't quite live up to my expectations but was still an extremely good game.

*Reads your post. Oh wait. You haven't even played the game and you're bitching about the reviews? Riiiiiight.......

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BuddyC said:
hey guys. i beat the game and wrote some words about it, which is something i haven't done in quite some time.
Your statement here begs the question - why did you decide to write about this game in particular?

Also, question - the manual states that "Drake can advance from low cover and around other corners by pressing on the left stick and X". Does that not address one of your comments that you can't go around the wall when you're in the cover?

SolidSnakex said:
I never said it wasn't popular just that it'd call into question PS3 gamers taste if it does outsell Uncharted.

Why? Guitar Hero 1-3 are fantastic games that will outsell just about every other title this fall. You might as well question the tastes of every platform's owners because it's selling well everywhere.

Also, 74k for Ratchet already made me question PS3 gamers' tastes.

Kittonwy said:
You have finished the game so you can access any part of the game through chapter select, but using save 1 will overwrite that save in terms of progress if you just want to play it through again, that said you can switch difficulty at anytime.

For Crushing it's a little different, let's say I finished hard and I want to play on Crushing, I would have to start a new game, and when I select on a save, I would use a new save and carry over the treasures and medals when the game asks me.

Thanks, I am going to try and find all of the treasures before I tackle Crushing. To get the treasures I am playing on Normal, and wow, what a difference. Normal seems to much easier after beating it on Hard. I am so glad I choose Hard the first go around. The experience is a lot better in my opinion!

Basch

Hellaiced said:
As far as people talking about limited amount of copies for this game. I work at a 20k Best Buy store aka one of the small one's. We only got 4 COPIES of Uncharted. I snagged one myself. So I would say that retailers didn't order enough of this amazing game. So far I am highly impressed.

Now that you mention it, when I went to pick up my copy from Gamestop. I remember seeing two display cases. In the past, I was always given the display cases when I bought the game. So I was surprised to see so few. But when I went up to the desk to pay for the purchase, they gave me a new sealed game. So I don't know what that means, but it sounds like to me that the retail space is limiting them, which then gets me thinking. Why wouldn't they just enlarge the space so they can try to draw more attention? I'm starting to think, retailers don't expect the PS3 to sell well this holiday, and I wonder why. Maybe if they just took a chance and enlarged the space they would see how much more the sales would increase. You know, it is not too hard. Just get rid of that extra column/row of Mass Effect preorders. :lol Seriously, there was like ten copies of just preorder display cases. I mean, come on. They are hurting their own sales by doing this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
~Devil Trigger~ said:
LMAO ND

"next gen filter"?

im playing on Hard now, some of the rewards...silly:lol

i like ND Drake though

Did u unlock the
pirate skin
? Isn't that awesome? I really love it. So detailed.

Basch

dammitmattt said:
I'm off this week on vacation and I chose to play Uncharted over Super Mario Galaxy all day. I liked the game a lot. And the purpose of this thread is to give our opinions, which is why I gave mine. I didn't shit on other people's opinions of the game, but almost everyone in the thread is shitting all over any site that has any perceived bias towards the game or the system.

Your failure to comprehend continues to surprise me. I never said you couldn't have an opinion. Matter of fact, I don't even really listen to other people's opinions unless their interests align with mine. Regardless, though, I encourage people to have opinions. I just didn't like you complaining about others who care about the reviews when, right after, you post your own. Sounds like double standards to me.

What in the world do you mean unbiased?!? I spent $60 of my own money and spent about 10 hours of my time playing Uncharted. What do I have to be biased about? The only thing that Uncharted had to live up to was my high expectations of Naughty Dog combining two of my favorite games into one. Yes, I beat it, and yes I loved the ending (though not as much the final boss section), and yes, it didn't quite live up to my expectations but was still an extremely good game.

Means nothing to me. Being biased is a psychological issue. I don't know how your brain works. There is no way for me to tell based on technicalities. I was simply giving what I thought after reading a few of your posts. Maybe I am wrong, but it seemed like to me, you were trying to justify the low end of the reviewers' scores, which is why I commented in the first place.

*Reads your post. Oh wait. You haven't even played the game and you're bitching about the reviews? Riiiiiight.......

Yes, I have not played the game. And I was not commenting on an opinion. I was commenting on some misinformation going around that you seem to be missing.

Y2Kev said:
Jeep scene has the best graphics on console.

Holy shite no kidding. I just got done with that part I almost died several times cause my eyes kept straying off the main path and onto the lush scenery.

One thing about this game I cant stress enough:

THE MUSIC IS FANTASTIC!
Their is this one song in the
fortress
that sounded a lot like this song in the LOTR movies.
I am definitely picking up the soundtrack on itunes when it comes which along with the Castlevania Symphony of the Night SD will make it my second game SD.

Firewire

Banned
I'm concerned I'm at the begining of Chapter 17 & I only have 30 or 31 treasures! Has anyone finished the game in one run with all the treasures found?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Y2Kev said:
Jeep scene has the best graphics on console.

I just finished that sequence. Holy shit was that awesome.

This game is FANTASTIC. Really feels like you're right in the middle of a big budget popcorn film.

vpance

SPAS 12 and Deagle are awesome, maybe too awesome. The sound of both make them really satisfying to fire.

Got that kabloom kill 3 guys achievement with the M79. Very cool :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Has anyone seen the new Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Commercial, the guys from Beyond podcast said it was awesome. I searched for it on youtube and there was nothing there except the new add camping but I am just looking for the Uncharted commercial.

Firewire

Banned
Elbrain said:
Has anyone seen the new Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Commercial, the guys from Beyond podcast said it was awesome. I searched for it on youtube and there was nothing there except the new add camping but I am just looking for the Uncharted commercial.

It was posted a few pages back.

Maggot9

Banned
Elbrain said:
Gametrailers.com

mr_nothin

Banned
Elbrain said:
Thx for the info saw liked a lot really well done commercial.
LOL
As soon as I read your post about anybody seeing the commercial.
It came on tv....the weird thing is that i've been wanting to see it on actual tv for sometime now. Been looking for it.
I keep missing the ass. creed (hehe) commercial.

It happened RIGHT after i read it....which was right after you posted it.
psychic!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
mr_nothin said:
LOL
As soon as I read your post about anybody seeing the commercial.
It came on tv....the weird thing is that i've been wanting to see it on actual tv for sometime now. Been looking for it.
I keep missing the ass. creed (hehe) commercial.

It happened RIGHT after i read it....which was right after you posted it.
psychic!

That is some crazy stuff man crazy stuff! :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Finished the game with 43 or so treasures. What a blast. Definitely worth playing through again on one of the higher difficulties.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
While I haven't gotten my Final Thoughts down on the game yet to post (FFXI patch has pissed me off so I went to do something else), I will post my review score.

I give Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a...

bestseller_champstraw_blowup.jpg

HyperionX

I'm currently up to chapter 5 and it's one hell of an experience. If you think the demo was good, this is way better. A lot more action, much better platforming. A few slow parts, but far apart and in-between lots of fun sequences. The graphics are top-notch and a lot better than anything else on consoles I've seen so far.

All Sony needed to do was run a high def ad of this on NBC Monday during Chuck, Heroes or Journeyman and it would have turned a whole lot of heads with its amazing graphics. But, that would cost money.

Synless

After playing Mass effect for the last 2 and half hours I've decided Uncharted kicks the shit out of it graphically......no joke don't get me wrong mass effect is good looking but after beating Uncharted there just is no comparison.

Kintaro said:
While I haven't gotten my Final Thoughts down on the game yet to post (FFXI patch has pissed me off so I went to do something else), I will post my review score.

I give Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a...

bestseller_champstraw_blowup.jpg

Are you sure? Cheesecake is serious business.. and that looks like really good cheesecake.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Robobandit said:
Are you sure? Cheesecake is serious business.. and that looks like really good cheesecake.

A lot of thought went into that rating. That wasn't given lightly.

Azrael

polyh3dron said:
All Sony needed to do was run a high def ad of this on NBC Monday during Chuck, Heroes or Journeyman and it would have turned a whole lot of heads with its amazing graphics. But, that would cost money.

I doubt it. With the Gamespot review, this year's lineup is a complete bust for Sony. I think Uncharted is a great game, but at this point, after seeing R&C do 75k, I'm not expecting big sales for it anymore.

This is the age of the metacritic review average. The highest rated PS3 exclusives are in the high 80s. The Wii has three exclusives in the mid to high 90s with Zelda, Mario and Metroid. The 360 has five console exclusives in that range with Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Orange Box (a de facto timed exclusive at least). Plus there are a few multiplatform games like Call of Duty 4, Rock Band, and Oblivion that have averages in the mid 90s, considerably higher than any PS3 exclusive title.

Now J6P uses sites like Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, etc. to choose what movies he watches and what games he plays. With seven console games in the second half of this year that averaged well into the 90s, he's probably not even considering buying anything with an average even in the high 80s. This is affecting games on other platforms than the PS3 -- 360 games with lower averages like Blue Dragon, PGR 4, and Virtua Fighter 5 are doing poorly as well. From this perspective, an 8 for a game like Uncharted is as damaging as a 4 for a game like Lair, which is why gamers are getting so incensed when games get high but not spectactular reviews.

YYZ

Azrael said:
I doubt it. With the Gamespot review, this year's lineup is a complete bust for Sony. I think Uncharted is a great game, but at this point, after seeing R&C do 75k, I'm not expecting big sales for it anymore.

This is the age of the metacritic review average. The highest rated PS3 exclusives are in the high 80s. The Wii has three exclusives in the mid to high 90s with Zelda, Mario and Metroid. The 360 has five console exclusives in that range with Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Orange Box (a de facto timed exclusive at least). Plus there are a few multiplatform games like Call of Duty 4, Rock Band, and Oblivion that have averages in the mid 90s, considerably higher than any PS3 exclusive title.

Now J6P uses sites like Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, etc. to choose what movies he watches and what games he plays. With seven console games in the second half of this year that averaged well into the 90s, he's probably not even considering buying anything with an average even in the high 80s. This is affecting games on other platforms than the PS3 -- 360 games with lower averages like Blue Dragon, PGR 4, and Virtua Fighter 5 are doing poorly as well. From this perspective, an 8 for a game like Uncharted is as damaging as a 4 for a game like Lair, which is why gamers are getting so incensed when games get high but not spectactular reviews.
jeez, that's deressing.

Gibb

haunts said:
Bought this today because 1) I want to play it of course and 2) im trying to sell my buddy on a PSTrip and I think this game will do the trick. :lol

I showed the demo to my brother-in-law yesterday.. and he was sold! :D

spwolf

Azrael said:

i think you went into wrong thread here dude... p.s. AC in Europe says HI!

JB1981

tanod said:
My second favorite sequence in the game.
I was thinking this morning about how they could have improved that sequence. I think it needed some Pursuit-Force style platforming. Imagine jumping onto the back of one of those speeder bikes, punching the driver in the face and then driving off on his bike. Then the camera pans behind you and you start shooting at enemies with your AK one-handed. I wanted something out of Raiders in that scene. Hanging off and under jeeps, jumping through windshields and punching people out. I thought it was a missed opportunity.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
I was thinking this morning about how they could have improved that sequence. I think it needed some Pursuit-Force style platforming. Imagine jumping onto the back of one of those speeder bikes, punching the driver in the face and then driving off on his bike. Then the camera pans behind you and you start shooting at enemies with your AK one-handed. I wanted something out of Raiders in that scene. Hanging off and under jeeps, jumping through windshields and punching people out. I thought it was a missed opportunity.

Sure the sequel has potential ;)

Top Bottom