• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

86509_med.jpg

Don't say I don't treat you.

Kenka

typhonsentra said:
Is there any good anecdotal evidence for sales of this game, or did it bomb?

Saleswise, no news means bad news. Y'know, it's all about singing when a game sells like hot cakes and being discrete when it bombs. In the case of Uncharted, I'm a bit disappointed but it tends to mean that it didn't make fair.

But who knows...maybe I'm just pulling shit out of my ass.....

deepbrown

Kenka said:
Saleswise, no news means bad news. Y'know, it's all about singing when a game sells like hot cakes and being discrete when it bombs. In the case of Uncharted, I'm a bit disappointed but it tends to mean that it didn't make fair.

But who knows...maybe I'm just pulling shit out of my ass.....
It was released yesterday in one country.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Azrael said:
From this perspective, an 8 for a game like Uncharted is as damaging as a 4 for a game like Lair, which is why gamers are getting so incensed when games get high but not spectactular reviews.
Kill 'em with faint praise, one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, I'm in the middle of Chapter 15 and the game is a solid experience...one of the most fun games I've played this year. The enemies
got a much needed difficulty increase, which makes the combat so much more enjoyable...

I also *spoiler* saw a set of non-human looking footprints and am now delving through a series of caves that are lit only by my flashlight...the area is giving me a strong Thief 1 vibe and am expecting non-human or undead enemies to enemies to pop up at any minute
If anyone spoils this for me, I will hate you.

sorry for rambling but I'm at work and am pretty darn busy today

I tentatively rate the game: 1 out of 1 stars

kuYuri

I ordered this from Circuit City with a $10 gift card. It will be several days before get it, but I have plenty of games to play in the meantime.

I have to make a choice today before I go to lunch. I'm either getting Uncharted or Mass Effect. I've already gotten Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Assasin's Creed and the Orange Box.

So, I'm close to completing the Holiday '07 AAA Collection. Which do I get today? I must choose!!! (I'll get the other as a holiday gift.)

Nightz

Gattsu25 said:
I also *spoiler* saw a set of non-human looking footprints and am now delving through a series of caves that are lit only by my flashlight...the area is giving me a strong Thief 1 vibe and am expecting non-human or undead enemies to enemies to pop up at any minute
Bigfoot exists. Believe.

EktorPR

Superblatt said:
I have to make a choice today before I go to lunch. I'm either getting Uncharted or Mass Effect. I've already gotten Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Assasin's Creed and the Orange Box.

So, I'm close to completing the Holiday '07 AAA Collection. Which do I get today? I must choose!!! (I'll get the other as a holiday gift.)

You're on a Uncharted Official Thread. So, Uncharted, duh! :lol

Seriously, Uncharted is the most fun experience I've had with a game all year...addictive, too. The cover-shoot-platformy gameplay is great and consistent throughout the whole duration of the game (so there's never a dull moment), the characters ooze charm and personality and the visuals and music/sound effects are the best I've seen/heard all year (Galaxy's awe-inspiring musical score notwithstanding). For this action/adventure fan, it doesn't get better than this.

I've seen and played Mass Effect and it's great: awesome sci-fi feel coupled with nicely-done dialogue and voice acting (resulting in beautiful cut-scenes), hair-raising synth and orchestral music and good-looking visuals marred by huge amouns of slowdown and pop-up (thx to Unreal 3).

Either way you choose, you'll end up with WIN in your house.

Superblatt said:

Yeah for the winter months I strongly recommend Uncharted to keep you warm and then a nice helping of Mass Effect.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
So I got the game on friday...me and my wife played for 5hrs on friday then probably another 4 or 5 on saturday and we beat it on normal. Going thru it on hard right now and I almost have all the artifacts. So freaking amazing.

END GAME SPOILER! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT BEAT THE GAME!
I love the way they did the cursed Spaniards! That crap is freaking scary when they lunge at you and run at you like the Decent creatures....I loved it! Navarro at the end was kinda easy to me though.

Must have Uncharted 2 next please ND!

I know I have repeated this so many times throughout this thread but this game is so fantastic.
I have not had so much pure fun playing a game in so long I seriously have the dumbest grin on my face the whole time I am playing.

SaitoH

EktorPR said:
Seriously, Uncharted is the most fun experience I've had with a game all year...addictive, too. The cover-shoot-platformy gameplay is great and consistent throughout the whole duration of the game (so there's never a dull moment), the characters ooze charm and personality and the visuals and music/sound effects are the best I've seen/heard all year (Galaxy's awe-inspiring musical score notwithstanding). For this action/adventure fan, it doesn't get better than this.

I'm in complete agreement. I can't believe how much fun this game is and for once a game actually exceeded my hyped up expectations.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
[CFD] El Capitan said:
END GAME SPOILER! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT BEAT THE GAME!
The buildup to that was nicely understated - they didn't make a big deal out of it, little clues just started to accumulate
until you're running around in the dark with a flashlight and starting to hear unearthly screams.

I really dug the short sequence where you run away from Cursed Spaniards, firing blindly over your shoulder. Neat idea, should have played it out a little longer for a little extra tension.

I also liked that the Cursed Spaniards generally required more shoot-from-the-hip combat tactics, changing things up a bit.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
kaching said:
*kaching spoilers*

Totally.
Did you jump in the water at the part where they are taking El Dorado away in the helicopter? The cursed spaniard is all "Shhh come with me!" and pulls you under the water! haha i laughed cause it looked funny. Wish we could get a gif of that and not be completely spoiler.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, there's a couple of places where that happens, actually.
Once the CS's show up, it'll happen in any body of water, I think. I fell in the water near the Uboat in the Nazi base and the same thing happened.

Firewire

Banned
Some place named "Loading Reality" gave it a 9.5

http://loadingreality.com/blog1/?p=611

"I’m going to touch upon the graphics and sound, now. The graphics are the best I have ever seen for any console. When I was on top of a cliff, I decided to see how the forest looked. I was just simply amazed at how realistic it looked. The music for this game is just fantastic. When I started the game, instead of diving right into it, I just put down my controller and listened to the opening theme… it’s that good. The voice acting, as well, is some of the best I have ever heard.

Well, I should probably discuss the gameplay. The game plays like an adventure with a cover and shoot mechanic taken straight from Gears of War. Uncharted follows the platforming-style of Tomb Raider, except it is much more fun and you don’t die on every jump. Unless you’ve lived under a rock for the past year, you should be able to recognize the shooting aspect of Uncharted is stunning. Like Gears of Wars before it, it’s complete with an improved cover system, which isn’t bad at all. The game is a lot more fun because of it, and I’m glad it is there. The AI is intelligent; enemies don’t stand around like morons, letting you shoot them; and they will attempt to flank you if you aren’t paying attention. The puzzles will make you think and it feels rewarding when you finally “get” them.

Storywise, Uncharted is much like something that you would experience in a movie. The characters’ personalities make it seems that if they actually existed and that you could have a real conversation with them. When Drake makes a joke, it adds something the situation and always seems very appropriate."

Silver Spanish Goblet Location

Chapter 14:

After ringing the two bells in the church inside the monastery, go down the ladder and take out the M4 wielding merc. Before grabbing his gun, there is a stone coffin to your left. Circle around the back and you should find it

For the guy wanting to know what was under Dyno-Might

Expert Dyno-Might - Kill 3 enemies with ONE explosion 5 times --- 30 Medal Points

Firewire

Banned
WasabiKing said:
Silver Spanish Goblet Location

Chapter 14:

After ringing the two bells in the church inside the monastery, go down the ladder and take out the M4 wielding merc. Before grabbing his gun, there is a stone coffin to your left. Circle around the back and you should find it

Just out of curiosity what are your impressions of the game? Just wondering?

Kuroyume

Banned
Elios83 said:
Some screens for people like me who are going to wait until the european official release:

dsc0097301%20%28800x450%29.jpg

That's realtime? Oh my god...

Btw...
Can someone take a picture of the monsters? Maybe just post a link to the picture so no other person is spoiled.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Next gen filter seems great :lol

Obviously, they're making a bit of fun of UE3 engine where everyone likes to over-abuse that HDR glow.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Next gen filter is disappointing - doesn't hit enough memes. They needed to at least make Nate bald as part of activating the filter, more sparks, etc.

I have played the game 20+ hrs and it just never gets old. Its been a really long time since a game has done this to me. I just can't put it down. I have COD4 sitting here (already beat SP) and I don't want to play it. This game is just magnificent!!!

Top Bottom