• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Awntawn

Firewire said:

"Anyone who tells you that great graphics don’t make a game owns a Wii"

:lol
Actually, there has now been born a sect that claims SMG has better graphics than any other game on 360 and PS3 now.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Awntawn said:
Actually, there has now been born a sect that claims SMG has better graphics than any other game on 360 and PS3 now.

Do they base that on a technical aspect or they just say it on its style? I might see that if it's from a style perspective but even then its pushing it you just have too look at Ratchet or Uncharted or Mass Effect or Assassins Creed and thats it.

Awntawn said:

They're talking about artistically and I can completely understand what they mean.

Basch

SolidSnakex said:
They're talking about artistically and I can completely understand what they mean.

Good for them. It is nice to see people think for themselves. I cannot even attempt to count the numerous games that have beautiful art styles. But then again, I am open to a lot of different types of style.

On a side note, that Play Magazine review was really well done. I have to say that was remarkably well written. As for the content of the review, I'm not expecting much anymore. It seems no one wants to comment on the game too much in fear of spoiling the twists. :D Maybe I should stay away from this thread. But man was that review easy on the ears. The reviewer seems to have quite similar views on gaming as I do. Cinematic games is the way of the future.

JB1981

Don't think it's gluv's PS3. Game froze on both my machine and Kintaro's. I had to create a new save and replay some earlier levels to get things to work, but there is definitely an issue and it is either the game itself or something with Sony's firmware.

spwolf

JB1981 said:
Don't think it's gluv's PS3. Game froze on both my machine and Kintaro's. I had to create a new save and replay some earlier levels to get things to work, but there is definitely an issue and it is either the game itself or something with Sony's firmware.

his freezes right away, thats an huge difference from freezing in chapter 13.

Basch said:
Good for them. It is nice to see people think for themselves. I cannot even attempt to count the numerous games that have beautiful art styles. But then again, I am open to a lot of different types of style.

On a side note, that Play Magazine review was really well done. I have to say that was remarkably well written. As for the content of the review, I'm not expecting much anymore. It seems no one wants to comment on the game too much in fear of spoiling the twists. :D Maybe I should stay away from this thread. But man was that review easy on the ears. The reviewer seems to have quite similar views on gaming as I do. Cinematic games is the way of the future.

The reason i loved the review is it seems to be a direct response to some of the reviews that have already come out. But reviews are ridiculous I trust GAF's opinion on a game far more. I mean look at the reviews compared to the user feedback its almost completely 1 sided.

SolidSnakex said:

Hmmm, if we are talking artistically then there are quite a number of ps2 games that are more impressive in that regard...SOTC for instance...realistion of art plus tech, Galaxy still doesnt look as good as Uncharted in the slightest...art yes, art + tech no

nelsonroyale said:
Hmmm, if we are talking artistically then there are quite a number of ps2 games that are more impressive in that regard...SOTC for instance...realistion of art plus tech, Galaxy still doesnt look as good as Uncharted in the slightest...art yes, art + tech no

Yeah I completely agree even if we are just talking about art I still put Okami at the top of that list by far.
Even Odin Sphere is much more impressive to me.

vpance

Just talking artistically it's hard not to say Uncharted tops all, just because it's clearly next gen stuff. It's much harder to create all those assets and textures that need to be so detailed because of resolution bump and well, expectation bump. I think you could arguably split art into impressiveness on a beauty level and detail level.

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
The reason i loved the review is it seems to be a direct response to some of the reviews that have already come out. But reviews are ridiculous I trust GAF's opinion on a game far more. I mean look at the reviews compared to the user feedback its almost completely 1 sided.

Yeah, it is nice to finally see someone who has as much enthusiasm about this game as any other coming out this year. If you ask me, I think the reviews from the press contrast pretty largely from the user reviews. Maybe we'll start seeing some more good ones that match the opinions of us gamers. :D

nelsonroyale said:

Everytime I see Shadow of the Colossus, I go crazy. That game has got to be one of the most masterfully created games. The art in that game simply astounds me.

Basch

vpance said:
Just talking artistically it's hard not to say Uncharted tops all, just because it's clearly next gen stuff. It's much harder to create all those assets and textures that need to be so detailed because of resolution bump and well, expectation bump. I think you could arguably split art into impressiveness on a beauty level and detail level.

Don't confuse people anymore then they already are. :lol People are finally beginning to understand that technically realistic graphics is a fact, while artistic design is an opinion. Let's not get into specifics. :D

Sharp

The Galaxy thread is actually surprisingly devoid of graphical discussion, to be honest. It looks way better than other Wii games, which means nobody's complaining about the visuals, but it's nowhere near the insane eye candy that is Uncharted. Mad props to Naughty Dog for making such a sexy engine. It's really just mindblowing to me, and I'm a Wii owner who genuinely hasn't cared about graphics for the past ten years or so. So. Damn. Sexy.

Avalon

This game is really awesome.

Just got the the
plot twist
and the battles were intense. This is how I want more shooters to be. Less run and gun and more strategy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
Yeah, but he tried creating brand new save files and it didn't help him.

Erebus

JB1981 said:

Is there a bug with the game saves or what?

cgcg

Does anyone feel the pirate skin actually seems to interact better with the environment? It seems like it has more weight and less floaty than Drake's.

joesmokey

Finally beat the game, there were some awesome sequences towards the end.

I'll write more in-depth about it afterwards (better posting thoughts letting the game sink in), but it's definitely the most fun that I've had on the PS3 so far.

Mesijs

I'm on my 2nd playthrough on crushing and i'm loving it even more. It feels great to need all the gameplay mechanics even more and it's SO challenging.

I'm quite far (around 60% or so, don't really know) and now I got into a combat sequence were I die over and over.

It's just after the 1st time in the monastery and before you enter the library. It's the big open place, with guys with laser sights standing on balconies and foes with shotty's, pistols, M4's and grenade launchers flushing in. I can tackle the beginning with the Dragunov, but when the grenade guys start to appear I die. I think I have to go to the right after I tackle the first wave, up to the stairs at the entrance of the library. Anybody got any hints?

Fights I also thought were quite challenging.

the one in the underwater thing under the fortress with thos pillars and new waves of enemies coming from all sides. Really hard to find good cover and you have to be very keen on ammo. Died over and over.

And also the fight in the guard house or something, before you get to the boat. It's this big fight with the turret shooting constantly. It was really great. I tackled the last enemy wave with the turret after making a suprprise flanking move and stealth kill. SO GREAT!!! :D

TTP said:
Well, I'm kinda doing so already with Blimblim ;)

8erxdu1.jpg

edit: couple more

What the hell is up with his shoulder and his body in general in this shot, anatomically, it's all over the place. Probably just the influencing, but still..

spwolf

Sharp said:
The Galaxy thread is actually surprisingly devoid of graphical discussion, to be honest. It looks way better than other Wii games, which means nobody's complaining about the visuals, but it's nowhere near the insane eye candy that is Uncharted. Mad props to Naughty Dog for making such a sexy engine. It's really just mindblowing to me, and I'm a Wii owner who genuinely hasn't cared about graphics for the past ten years or so. So. Damn. Sexy.

4D is sexy :D

I kinda flew through this game, man, I wish it was a bit longer...

Ending fight was so meh, I was hoping for something better.

Jet-skiing upstream was the best part of the game. Loads of fun, and challenging. Though I just read about the auto aim during that sequence...

Time to find the treasures...

question for those who stating maybe the HDD is bad, do you restore the ps3 or reformat the drive? if so will anyone of these procedures intefere with my network settings?

Kittonwy

Banned
Last night I continued a bit with crushing, and crushing continued to kick my ass. That shit is hard, enemies are so smart, aggressive and deadly.
Indifferent2.gif

Mifune

Mehmber
Ha! All you guys are on your second or third playthroughs and I just got the game today.

Got some catching up to do...

eshwaaz

Play magazine said:
...and the environmental puzzles eclipse all that came before them.

I'm really enjoying the game a lot, but come on. The puzzles are definitely not Uncharted's strong point, and saying that they beat everything that's come before is ridiculous hyperbole. It is exactly this kind of needless exaggeration that makes Play Magazine so hard to take seriously.

YYZ

Next uncharted game needs entire levels based on puzzles, like the water temple and other dungeons in Zelda OoT (plus some enemies).
This game has the potential to be near 10, unanimously. The platforming bits can be combined with puzzle bits, but not just for getting around, make it more involved.
Combat needs minor tweaking, like the pistol and hand-to-hand (keep the combo system and animations, more combos).
Make the treasures (and other new things) much harder to find, not just lying around where one might expect them to be. Make finding them involve puzzles, or hidden stuff like having to shoot something in the environment that you wouldn't think of right away.

tanod

when is my burrito
eshwaaz said:
I'm really enjoying the game a lot, but come on. The puzzles are definitely not Uncharted's strong point, and saying that they beat everything that's come before is ridiculous hyperbole.

Yeah. That is pretty ridiculous.

YYZ said:
Next uncharted game needs entire levels based on puzzles, like the water temple and other dungeons in Zelda OoT (plus some enemies).
This game has the potential to be near 10, unanimously. The platforming bits can be combined with puzzle bits, but not just for getting around, make it more involved.
Combat needs minor tweaking, like the pistol and hand-to-hand (keep the combo system and animations, more combos).
Make the treasures (and other new things) much harder to find, not just lying around where one might expect them to be. Make finding them involve puzzles, or hidden stuff like having to shoot something in the environment that you wouldn't think of right away.

/slap.gif

eshwaaz

XHitoshuraX said:
Nolan North does the voice work for both Nathan Drake and
Desmond in Assassin's Creed

Wow, really? I never would have guessed. He's absolutely outstanding as Nathan Drake (one of the best, most natural performances I've ever heard in a videogame), but I feel that he was painfully miscast in the other role - probably the most "off" sounding character in the entire game.

EDIT: Sorry, got the characters mixed up - ignore the second part of my post.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
YYZ said:
The water temple in Zelda OoT is one of the shittiest levels I've ever had the displeasure of having gone through. Keep that shit away from future Uncharted sequels.

Big-E

Just finished it on Hard. Got 40 of the treasures on the first go. I can't believe I was able to miss 20 because I thought I was pretty diligent in my search. Personally this is my game of the year so far though I just got Mass Effect and I am about to start that so this may change. Naughty Dog needs to truly be praised for what they have accomplished here. They were able to make a fun and compelling game all wrapped up into a story that is actually able to engage.

YYZ

Laguna X said:
The water temple in Zelda OoT is one of the shittiest levels I've ever had the displeasure of having gone through. Keep that shit away from future Uncharted sequels.
if not that, then some of the other temples were decent in their puzzles. The water temple is the most memorable to me, that's all.

Dante

GauntletFan said:
What the hell is up with his shoulder and his body in general in this shot, anatomically, it's all over the place. Probably just the influencing, but still..

He basically has Nathan Drakes animation copied on to him, You wil notice some imperfections in screens as they are not proportinatly the same.

Just got the game and have played maybe 15 minutes or so. I was a wee bit startled at the framerate during the boat shootout, it wasn't an absolute perfect 30 fps. Seemed like there were slight dips here and there when running around the boat. Anyone else (dark?) know what I'm getting at? Game looks real good though.

Red Blaster said:
Just got the game and have played maybe 15 minutes or so. I was a wee bit startled at the framerate during the boat shootout, it wasn't an absolute perfect 30 fps. Seemed like there were slight dips here and there when running around the boat. Anyone else (dark?) know what I'm getting at? Game looks real good though.

Dont worry man it gets a lot better. Just play till at least chapter 6 if you can before coming back and gushing about how great it is.

Kittonwy

Banned
XHitoshuraX said:

GOD his voice is hot as hell.

No, Nolan North is not the voice of desmond in Ass Creed, desmond is voiced by phillip shahbaz.

KGKK

Banned
What what!! What what!! Just bought the game and now I am completely broke so it better be worth it. Can't wait to start playing it tonight, just cook dinner for my siblings first.

steve

Banned
I need to stop poking my nose into this thread before I get to actually play the game. Too many spoilerific aspects threatening to ruin my fun!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Gah 2 weeks and 4 days left till the PAL release date!

cant wait to play this man, i just perfected my headshots in the demo :D

most satisfying headshots ever.

Bebpo

Banned
I finished AC yesterday so I just really started this today. Just got to ch.8 and while it's REALLY linear, it's really been a blast to play so far.

The game feels so much like a Naughty Dog game that it makes me smile here and there since I'm a big ND fan. People really, really undermined the platforming in this game. Most made it seem like it hardly existed, but you still climb a lot and it's very fun and satisfying. I also dig the ton of achievements and the most unlockables I've seen in YEARS. Glanced at some of the character art and it was nice.

Graphics/Art have been wonderful as well as the music, and I'm actually interested in the story/characters.

My favorite part so far has been when I yelled out "oh shit!" and Nathan yelled out "oh shit!" and we were perfectly in sync with each other :)

XHitoshuraX said:

GOD his voice is hot as hell.

Sorry Madam.

Also, if my PSN friends list is any indication then this game sold a lot better than Ratchet.

Edited for gender revelation.

Top Bottom