• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Basch said:
Good for them. It is nice to see people think for themselves. I cannot even attempt to count the numerous games that have beautiful art styles. But then again, I am open to a lot of different types of style.

On a side note, that Play Magazine review was really well done. I have to say that was remarkably well written. As for the content of the review, I'm not expecting much anymore. It seems no one wants to comment on the game too much in fear of spoiling the twists. :D Maybe I should stay away from this thread. But man was that review easy on the ears. The reviewer seems to have quite similar views on gaming as I do. Cinematic games is the way of the future.

I'm not sure how long you've been paying attention to the industry, but the Uncharted reviewer (Dave Halverson) is certifiably insanse. Here is a sampling of his reviews:

300 (PSP) - 8.5
Bullet Witch (360) - 8.5
Death By Degrees (PS2) - 8.5
GTA: San Andreas - 8.0 - For comparison
Heavenly Sword (PS3) - 10
Kameo (360) - 9.5
Legend of Spyro (XBX) - 8.5
Monster Madness (360) - 9.0
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (PS2) - 8.5
Ninety-Nine Nights (360) - 9.0
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja (PS2) - 9.0
Rayman Raving Rabids (360) - 9.0
Sonic (360) - 8.5
Tenchu Z (360) - 8.5

And that's without even going into his drug-fueled Jaguar and 3DO reviews. I'd be careful before I would compare my tastes to his...

Red Blaster said:
Just got the game and have played maybe 15 minutes or so. I was a wee bit startled at the framerate during the boat shootout, it wasn't an absolute perfect 30 fps. Seemed like there were slight dips here and there when running around the boat. Anyone else (dark?) know what I'm getting at? Game looks real good though.

It's really weird that the frame rate is at its worst in the first 30 minutes of the game. It doesn't make a great first impression. I rememer bitching about the frame rate at first but it quickly levels out and you get used to the slightly odd camera movement and motion blur.

Loudninja

dammitmattt said:
I'm not sure how long you've been paying attention to the industry, but the Uncharted reviewer (Dave Halverson) is certifiably insanse. Here is a sampling of his reviews:

300 (PSP) - 8.5
Bullet Witch (360) - 8.5
Kameo (360) - 9.5
Sonic (360) - 8.5
Tenchu Z (360) - 8.5

And that's without even going into his drug-fueled Jaguar and 3DO reviews. I'd be careful before I would compare my tastes to his...

Sonic (360) - 8.5
Tenchu Z (360) - 8.5

Ok what the hell?

Core407 said:
Truthfully I don't think it's GOTY. I think they've got a very sound concept here and it's definitely a blockbuster IP. I see a sequel potentially being a GOTY contender. There is a lot of things they could do to really bring this into a whole new realm - minor things in Uncharted that could see improvements too. Basically just tweaks here and there, some new concepts and more of what makes Uncharted so great. Platforming needs to be expanded, the gun play could use more incorporation of the environments. I find that I love the game all the way through but I do realize why some would rate it a 9. It's definitely not a 9.5 game, but not because anything is really wrong with it. I just feel like it basically refreshes the whole GOW-type combat but doesn't really add anything amazingly new to it. I don't even think ND was trying to add anything new to it, though. I don't know, I'm loving the experience but I think the main reason is just the whole level of cinematic polish there is, the voice acting, the dialog and all that. It just brings it all together in the overall package but if you were to look at it from a area-specific approach, you'll see the game for what it really is, which is an incredibly solid game. I think MP would have sold a lot of reviewers on the game too.

I'm a big Naughty Dog fan, but when was the last time they actually brought something "new" to the table? The company's history is a study in combining and polishing existing concepts while creating INCREDIBLE tech in the process.

TEH-CJ said:
So for those who have played it

is uncharted "GOTY" good, or just " entertaining " good?

:p

For me, I was slightly let down by Uncharted because I had such high expectations going in. Ratchet is easily my PS3 game of the year, while the overall nod would have to go to BioShock, though Rock Band is giving it some stiff competition and I haven't played enough Mario or Mass Effect to pass judgement on those.

I don't think Uncharted is good enough to receive any serious consideration for GOTY from any major publications, but it should be included in a lot of Top Ten lists. Come to think of it, while I've loved the last 5 1/2 Naughty Dog games (the 1/2 being Jak II), I wouldn't have considered any of them serious GOTY candidates. It goes in line with my response to Core407 above. Uncharted stands out more on the PS3 where the only other great, exclusive game this year is Ratchet, but when it's going up against stuff like Super Mario Galaxy, BioShock, Halo 3, Rock Band, and Call of Duty 4, it doesn't quite stack up.

dammitmattt said:
I'm a big Naughty Dog fan, but when was the last time they actually brought something "new" to the table? The company's history is a study in combining and polishing existing concepts while creating INCREDIBLE tech in the process.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't see why they take so much criticism for doing that when other companies seem to do it and get nothing but praise for it.

8-10 hours has been the standard length for the single-player in Western action/shooters for a while now. It's typically the Japanese action titles that are quite lengthy or are short but have large replay incentives (Dead Rising, etc.)

Pristine_Condition said:
It's not 6-8 hours. It's 8-10 hrs. Took me 10:16 on my first playthrough with less than half the treasures found.

I thought the length was perfect. And there's a ton of replay value, IMO.

Let's say 6-10 hours :)

I would argue with you that there is not really a ton of replay value. Unlike Ratchet, there are no RPG elements and New Game + options to keep you plowing through. Unlike Gears of War, there is no co-op play. The only real motivation to come back to the game are the medals, because even on higher difficulties, you are essentially playing the exact same linear levels in the exact same way.

While the situations are slightly different because there is so much new stuff out this week, my actions after Ratchet and Uncharted were telling for myself. After beating Ratchet, I immediately plowed right into Challenge Mode and beat it again the same day. The next day, I started on my third playthrough to finish up the skill points. However, when I beat Uncharted, I spent about an hour finishing up some medals, watching the videos, and viewing the sketches. I briefly started another game on hard, but after realizing I was doing exactly the same thing in the same way, I put it down and I honestly don't know if I'm going to pick it up again. Maybe I would if I had a gamercard/trophy to show the world that I beat it on Crushing, but since that's not in the cards, I don't know what else is going to motivate me, especially with so many other options out there right now!!!

SolidSnakex said:
Nothing wrong with that. I don't see why they take so much criticism for doing that when other companies seem to do it and get nothing but praise for it.

I don't really see them taking a lot of criticism, certainly less than Insomniac has taken for Ratchet. Do you have any examples of this criticism and other companies getting praised for doing the same thing?

TEH-CJ

Banned
dammitmattt said:

For me, I was slightly let down by Uncharted because I had such high expectations going in. Ratchet is easily my PS3 game of the year, while the overall nod would have to go to BioShock, though Rock Band is giving it some stiff competition and I haven't played enough Mario or Mass Effect to pass judgement on those.

I don't think Uncharted is good enough to receive any serious consideration for GOTY from any major publications, but it should be included in a lot of Top Ten lists. Come to think of it, while I've loved the last 5 1/2 Naughty Dog games (the 1/2 being Jak II), I wouldn't have considered any of them serious GOTY candidates. It goes in line with my response to Core407 above. Uncharted stands out more on the PS3 where the only other great, exclusive game this year is Ratchet, but when it's going up against stuff like Super Mario Galaxy, BioShock, Halo 3, Rock Band, and Call of Duty 4, it doesn't quite stack up.

Ok coolies :)

i thought jak 2 was game of the year material tho, infact i still class it as one of the best games ever made, So i could see how opinions differ.

i really dont understand the criticism of the game :(, sure it was hard but thats what made it fun and challenging.

jak 2 literly felt like a living breathing world, and being able to have the choice to free roam and explore these FUCKING GORGEOUS worlds with tons of platforming and easter eggs never got boring for me, it felt like 3 amazing games in one.

I could go on and on about how much that game did right and it makes me sad that this game didn't get the recogniton it deserved, it seriously should be 96 on gameranking instead of 89 o_O

anyways....waaaaay off topic, i just had to let that out lol >_>

dammitmattt said:
I don't really see them taking a lot of criticism, certainly less than Insomniac has taken for Ratchet. Do you have any examples of this criticism and other companies getting praised for doing the same thing?

What i'm referring to is how it seems like every review seems to have to point out how Uncharted isn't doing anything new as if it's somehow a negative. How many games could have the same claims leveled against it? Nearly every single game released. Yet for some reason it seems like reviewers need to stress how Uncharted isn't doing anything new and how it's basically Gears meets TR.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dammitmattt said:
There's a study in stacking the deck if I ever saw one: the word 'new' is qualified in some way that apparently makes it off limits to ND to the point that not even "INCREDIBLE tech" qualifies. Right.

SolidSnakex said:
What i'm referring to is how it seems like every review seems to have to point out how Uncharted isn't doing anything new as if it's somehow a negative. How many games could have the same claims leveled against it? Nearly every single game released. Yet for some reason it seems like reviewers need to stress how Uncharted isn't doing anything new and how it's basically Gears meets TR.

Well, it IS basically Gears meets TR and it basically isn't doing a whole lot new, other than combining the two games. It's a valid comment, and whether that's a bad thing or not depends on the person playing the game.

TEH-CJ said:
Ok coolies :)

i thought jak 2 was game of the year material tho, infact i still class it as one of the best games ever made, So i could see how opinions differ.

i really dont understand the criticism of the game :(, sure it was hard but thats what made it fun and challenging.

jak 2 literly felt like a living breathing world, and being able to have the choice to free roam and explore these FUCKING GORGEOUS worlds with tons of platforming and easter eggs never got boring for me, it felt like 3 amazing games in one.

I could go on and on about how much that game did right and it makes me said that this game didn't get the recogniton it deserved, it seriously should be 96 on gameranking instead of 89 o_O

anyways....waaaaay off topic, i just had to let that out lol >_>

Jak and Daxter is still one of my favorite games and while the core of Jak II was good, there were four main things that I didn't like about Jak II:

1. The GTA overworld was shoehorned in and there was basically nothing to do in it, plus it resulted in the annoying timed races

2. Emphases on shooting over melee combat - it was no Ratchet, for sure

3. Random, insane difficulty spikes

4. "Serious" Jak and his ridiculous soul patch - Amy Hennig did Naughty Dog a ton of good when it comes to characters, as evidenced by the great characters in Uncharted

kaching said:
There's a study in stacking the deck if I ever saw one: the word 'new' is qualified in some way that apparently makes it off limits to ND to the point that not even "INCREDIBLE tech" qualifies. Right.

Context, buddy. We are talking about GOTY qualifications, and doing something new is very often a large part of the criteria. Uncharted should win plenty "best-looking" awards.

Pristine_Condition said:
No, let's not. Unless you want to claim ridiculous speed run times as the basis for all game times.

8-10 hrs is what it is. My first time through took just a little over 10 hrs.

I forgot that your experience was the final say. My first time took over 7 hours, and I spent a lot of time looking for treasures. It could easily be done on normal in the 6 hour range.

God, why am I even arguing about this?!?

dammitmattt said:
Well, it IS basically Gears meets TR and it basically isn't doing a whole lot new, other than combining the two games. It's a valid comment, and whether that's a bad thing or not depends on the person playing the game.

Yes and Gears was RE4 mechanics meets kill.switch but this didn't seem like much of an issue to reviewers while they were circle jerking over the game.

SolidSnakex said:
Yes and Gears was RE4 mechanics meets kill.switch but this didn't seem like much of an issue to reviewers while they were circle jerking over the game.

There was A LOT less competition last year and most people didn't play kill.switch so it felt fresh. Plus, unlike kill.switch, Gears did enough so that it didn't feel too repetitive after the first 30 minutes. Same is true with Uncharted.

Also, don't forget that Gears was one of the first games to perfect the drop-in, drop out co-op and it was far and away the best looking game of all-time when it came out. Don't use this thread as a platform to hate on Gears, a game that so obviously inspired Uncharted.

kay

Just so we're clear, this was the first game to use the cover system and not kill.switch

51Q5NMAP9VL._AA280_.jpg

also on PS2

Two hours in and loved almost all of it. I started on hard cause thats what I had the most fun playing on the demo and so far I think i made the right choice. The graphics are some of the greatestI have ever seen, definitely the best looking game I own. The story so far has been superb, this is maybe the closest a game has come to matchingthe bigsummer movie style. Drake is already one of my favorite characters, he is instantly lovable, you care about what happens to him. Elena is maybe the most realistic female ever portraied in a game, why is it so hard to get this right, thats how you do a female character.

I took my time during the first area, inside the temple. I was in awe of the environment, the lighting effects, oh and the shadows, wow.I like how Drake and Sully would talk as they walked, it felt natural. The first few puzzles were cool, not hard but it fit the theme of the game, thats what I like everything fits this world, I haven't seen anything too video gamey. The U-boat area is breathtaking. When you get behind the waterfall and look out into the sunset I felt like my eyes were having an orgasm. I loved the movie style atmosphere while he was in the u-boat, the camera angles got that movie look and the way Drake moves from compartment to compartment is exactly how a real person would do it. Such great animation.

Once the action started the game as not let up. I love the pacing so far, it knows what to ramp up the combat and when to slow it down. I have talked about the combat before when the demo hit, its fun, the enemies are smart, the partner AI is great. like how they put you in some unique situations like being shot at while you are jumping across rocks, the whole truck attack was great as well. I had a sense of a little RE4 during the trap section, its little changes to the combat like these that can make a game special. During that section I was behinda wall trying to kill some of the guys off in the distance when one of them was coming around, I quickly tried to shoot him but missed. Instead I had shot a trap, it set it off and it impaled the dude, I was like holy crap that was awesome. So far its just been one exciting moment after another.

The only complaints I got so far is that the platforming is a bit too automatic. The jump button decides how far you should jump on its own. Sometimes I don't feel like its me making the jump, I just feel like I am pointing Drake in the direction I want him to go, pressing X and the game does the work. The climbing on ledges stuff works well, very PoP and SotC like but simple so far. I am disappointed that the treasures are nothing more than a blinking light, I expect something more, like an actual treasure chest tucked away in hard to reach areas. This feels a bit like RE: Outbreak where hidden items are just a flashing dot in the environment. I thought I would be searching off beat paths (granted some are) to find these things, not looking out for aflashy dot in the middle of the levels.

So I am loving it so far, hopefully it keeps throwing new things at me like it has so far.

dammitmattt said:
There was A LOT less competition last year and most people didn't play kill.switch so it felt fresh. Plus, unlike kill.switch, Gears did enough so that it didn't feel too repetitive after the first 30 minutes. Same is true with Uncharted.

Also, don't forget that Gears was one of the first games to perfect the drop-in, drop out co-op and it was far and away the best looking game of all-time when it came out. Don't use this thread as a platform to hate on Gears, a game that so obviously inspired Uncharted.

I'm not trying to bash Gears or anything, my point was that it really wasn't doing anything new. It just took ideas and did things better than existing games were doing them. Which is great, that's what most games do anyway. My point is how one game is called out for not doing things new while another one isn't.

HyperionX

Up to Chapter 15 and it's been loads of fun so far. The graphics are great, the gunplay is just varied enough to be fun and not tedious, and enough of other kinds of gameplay to stay fresh totally consistently. In some ways it's a record; I've never had a game so few moments of boredom or tediousness. Just a few occasions and even then it's about a minute or so each.

Tieno

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not trying to bash Gears or anything, my point was that it really wasn't doing anything new. It just took ideas and did things better than existing games were doing them. Which is great, that's what most games do anyway. My point is how one game is called out for not doing things new while another one isn't.
Lots of people thought Gears didn't do anything new because of Kill Switch.

YYZ

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that my Treasure Locations FAQ has been up on GameFAQs since sometime Monday. I hope it helps. Thanks to those of you who helped me in this thread. It will be updated (probably sometime later today) with the links to the pics and a pretty substantial rewrite to some of the location descriptions.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/game/932984.html

YYZ said:
hey guys, just wanted to let you know that my Treasure Locations FAQ has been up on GameFAQs since sometime Monday. I hope it helps. Thanks to those of you who helped me in this thread. It will be updated (probably sometime later today) with the links to the pics and a pretty substantial rewrite to some of the location descriptions.

You are a good, good man. I would work on the formatting, though. I would put a space between the treasure name and the location details. It makes it easier to read :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
Definetly my GOTY, Easily the most fun I've had with a game all season.

I'm having trouble with the"blow up 5 guys at the same time" reward. Does anybody have any suggestions? <aybe spoiler tag em.

It's my GOTY by far for sure.
Indifferent2.gif

antiloop

dammitmattt said:

Now those other games you mention aren't doing a lot of new either. It's basically just a mix of things.

Could even be said about every game so far. It's not like any game has re-invented the wheel yet.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
alright just beat it on crushing. I have to say it was extremely frustrating, wasn't too difficult though. There were some parts that were literally TOO HARD, where you had to die 3 or 4 times no matter what. Right now have 40 treasures, and all the medals except the treasure ones, so that's all I have left :).

edit-
Linkzg said:
has anyone unlocked Cartoon Nathan?

I have.... questions?

Kittonwy

Banned
msdstc said:
alright just beat it on crushing. I have to say it was extremely frustrating, wasn't too difficult though. There were some parts that were literally TOO HARD, where you had to die 3 or 4 times no matter what. Right now have 40 treasures, and all the medals except the treasure ones, so that's all I have left :).

edit-

I have.... questions?

Yeah it's crushing, I guess it's supposed to be super hard. I'm still trying to make my way through it on crushing myself. Enemies are VERY FLANK-HAPPY.

YYZ said:

Fantastic job, YYZ.

Glad I could help in a small way (at least I hope I did) even though I'm going to try not to look at your guide until after I'm done searching on my own again. (CHALLENGE!)

Bebpo said:

I might need to try this game again, the story seems really shitty though...shooter aspects arent enough to pull me through a game...

OT: Im sure games like rockband are fun for some peeps, and maybe their GOTY, but with so many good games this year, it looks pretty naff to me...though Im no rock fan and although Im massively into music, would rather spend time playing an instrument that a music game (barring rez)....I just have a prejudice against I suppose, one that Im pretty comfortable with

No blood ifyou play this game on a japan machine booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not again sony christ and this time no save game patch to allow blood.

deepbrown

antiloop said:
Now those other games you mention aren't doing a lot of new either. It's basically just a mix of things.

Could even be said about every game so far. It's not like any game has re-invented the wheel yet.
Yeah we better take COD4, Halo3 out of the runnings as well. And even Mass Effect is a mixture of an RPG and cover combat. I say no GOTY awards at all

Brashnir

deepbrown said:
Yeah we better take COD4, Halo3 out of the runnings as well. And even Mass Effect is a mixture of an RPG and cover combat. I say no GOTY awards at all

Am I missing something here, or have Sony fans' persecution complexes become so severe that they're now inventing slights against which to voice their indignation?

deepbrown

Brashnir said:
Am I missing something here, or have Sony fans' persecution complexes become so severe that they're now inventing slights against which to voice their indignation?
You're missing all the comments that Uncharted isn't original and is just a mixture of Tomb Raider and Gears of War...meaning it doesn't deserve to be a GOTY candidate. Absurd comments can be tackled by absurd sarcastic comments.

Dahbomb

SolidSnakex said:
Talking about RE4: Yeah and it started feeling repetitive to me at least. Largely because of the gimped combat engine.
Fucking right. Good to see there are users on GAF that aren't ashamed to say it like it is: RE4's combat/shooting engine is far from perfect. I like how the only way to avoid a damn axe being thrown at you is to shoot it. :lol

Oh and Uncharted is fucking awesome.

spwolf

dammitmattt said:

thats pretty funny. So Gears is not an problem since perfected its copy of cover system, but Uncharted is an problem even if perfected its copy of cover system.

How can cover mechanics be considered copying btw? Will someone mistake Uncharted for Gears?

And btw, Tomb Raider? First of all, rather not original either, whatsoever.

It is freaking amazing... we have an action adventure jungle theme game once in every few years, and BAM its copycat.... we have 300 bald space marine games per year, and nobody finds that curious at all :lol

p.s. that Indy movie next year will suck a lot... copycat.

im sick of ppl calling this game a mixed of Gear and a mixed of of Tomb Raider and are therefore bring nothing new to the table, well if you ever mixed green and red together u will get yellow, so same with Uncharted, the game might used some similar style from other games but it combination bring a unique and satistfying experience to gamers and most importantly it is fun to play.

Aske

Just beat Uncharted. Fantastic game. Facial animations have never looked so good, though I haven't played Heavenly Sword yet. Characterisation is wonderful, and they nailed the sublime pulp-adventure story line. The environments are jaw-dropping, and there's much more variety than I expected, especially in the latter third of the game. At the end of the day most of my praise is for the cinematic nature of the game. I feel the old "more than the sum of its parts" label has never suited a title more perfectly. The Prince of Persia platforming was a lot of fun, but it could have been a little less automated. The Gears of War combat was consistently good too, but it just falls short of that Gears level of awesome which pulls me back in for more and more of the same thing. Given that it makes up such a large portion of the game that's a bit of a shame. I'd have liked the option to play a little more stealthily to switch things up a bit - some minor mechanic that lets me sneak up and take out guards without alerting the mob with slightly more finesse than I can with the engine as it stands. The melee stuff is wonderful, but impossible to use as often as I'd have liked given the fact that Drake takes damage from other enemies mid-combo. Giving me invulnerability when I enter a brawl so I have a chance to engage a guy, then take a risky dive to safety would have spiced up the encounters and allowed me to approach combat much more tactically.

Despite these criticisms I'd sill call Uncharted a must-play title, and not just for starving PS3 owners. The variety of gameplay on offer combined with the involving story deliver a compelling game. The little details that leap out from the environments or from Drake's animation repertoire gave me that next-gen kick that only a few other greats have delivered. I view it in much the same way I did the first God of War, and like God of War 2, I'm betting that the Uncharted sequel will make the subtle tweaks that perfect the formula.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
dammitmattt said:

300 (PSP) - 8.5
Bullet Witch (360) - 8.5
Kameo (360) - 9.5
Sonic (360) - 8.5
Tenchu Z (360) - 8.5

You've got to be kidding me! :D :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
deepbrown said:
That's an odd article.

To be honest, I'm going to have to go with Halo 3 (for this year) with Lair as a close second. The water in Halo 3 had the look of typical shader water...but actually used a polygonal mesh. This not only allowed for interaction with the surface but also gave that surface a depth rarely seen. It also looked great in both small pools and large bodies. In all honesty, the water looked SO good that I would actually place it above Crysis (though that's one of the only areas where it stands ahead). Lair is also similar in that it uses a polygon mesh. It can occasionally look a bit tiled from great distances, but the effect of flying over the water and taking out ships is pretty incredible.

Bioshock water LOOKS great, but is completely flat and is rarely seen in large bodies. Uncharted is similar to Bioshock (though it offers mild interaction), but I don't think it looks quite as good.

deepbrown

dark10x said:
That's an odd article.

To be honest, I'm going to have to go with Halo 3 (for this year) with Lair as a close second. The water in Halo 3 had the look of typical shader water...but actually used a polygonal mesh. This not only allowed for interaction with the surface but also gave that surface a depth rarely seen. It also looked great in both small pools and large bodies. In all honesty, the water looked SO good that I would actually place it above Crysis (though that's one of the only areas where it stands ahead). Lair is also similar in that it uses a polygon mesh. It can occasionally look a bit tiled from great distances, but the effect of flying over the water and taking out ships is pretty incredible.

Bioshock water LOOKS great, but is completely flat and is rarely seen in large bodies. Uncharted is similar to Bioshock (though it offers mild interaction), but I don't think it looks quite as good.
:) B3d seems to be saying Uncharted water edges it. Uncharted water is like DX10 Bioshock water...though maybe even better.

We shall see :)

I just got home from work, and I should really sleep. Nah, I need to finish my second run and find more treasure. Has anyone seen a fairly complete list show up yet? I don't see these things anywhere. BTW The rewards are badass IMO, I want to try a full run on
fast and slow motion

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dark10x, it's worth noting that Uncharted actually has great looking flowing water that in that sense look much better than anything in Halo 3 or Lair. It also has a very similar look as Bioshock but with DX10 shaders enabled.

dammitmattt said:
I obviously won't say I agree with most of those reviews, but I could probably find about as many ridiculous scores from any magazine, even a respected one like Edge. Just on top of my head, they gave ZOE2 a 4, VF4 a 7, GTA3 an 8, while at the same time, they gave some so-so 2D shooter game a 9.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
I obviously won't say I agree with most of those reviews, but I could probably find about as many ridiculous scores from any magazine, even a respected one like Edge. Just on top of my head, they gave ZOE2 a 4, VF4 a 7, GTA3 an 8, while at the same time, they gave some so-so 2D shooter game a 9.
The Play magazine guy is stupidly generous. BUT if he says some good things in THIS review...and you agree with it, then maybe this review is one of the few right one...I'm sure on his inflated scale he would have given it a 12 if he could have.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
The Play magazine guy is stupidly generous.
That is true - no doubt, but at least with him you know what kind of games he likes, so he's relatively predictable. Let's put it this way - if he gives a 10 to something, I'll pay attention to it (I may disagree with the score, but it will pique my interest). Not so much with, for example, Gerstmann's 10 for THPS3.

Basch

dammitmattt said:

300 (PSP) - 8.5
Bullet Witch (360) - 8.5
Kameo (360) - 9.5
Sonic (360) - 8.5
Tenchu Z (360) - 8.5

What is this supposed to do? It is just his opinion. You could do this to just about any reviewer and pick on titles that score high that you don't like. Plus, I'm sure that after being in the gaming industry for, what did he say, 15 years, he has reviewed more games than that. I didn't know you had to be insane to have a differing opinion. I don't even like GTA, so the score means nothing to me. Yet, at the same time, I don't complain over a game I don't have interest in. He likes Hack-n-Slash and Platformers. So do I. So, to me, this just reaffirms similar interests. Then again I have no intention of playing Sonic, Tenchu Z (which there is quite a huge fanbase for if I remember right), Monster Madness, GTA, Death by Degrees, Spyro, and 300. He likes the games, so what? None of this changes the fact that the Uncharted review he wrote was very well done, at least in my opinion. From a journalistic perspective, that was a quality review.

And if you didn't know, Play Magazine likes to choose who reviews the game by giving the task to someone who, God forbid, is interested in the game. :lol

Besides, why does it seem that whatever I say you have to either complain about it or insist on an argument? I can tell that, more than likely, you do not agree with my views. Well, too bad. They are my views and they don't change to easily. Why can't you just understand that different people like different things. My opinion should be respected as such. I'm sorry if this is stepping on your toes, but it has just come to the point where I am getting quite tired of being your podium for your my opinion is better than yours talk.

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:

No, no, no. This is the last time. PEOPLE are saying Gears inspired it, but this game was well underway when they decided to go with the cover system they chose. Evan Wells stated on numerous occassions Kill.Switch was their inspiration.

And Uncharted is doing a whole lot of new to your Gears meets TR dubbing, it's actually employing responsive and fun gameplay with control responsiveness. Along with even more incredible graphics, the best audio anyone will find in a game to date, GOOD voice acting/lines, and a story that makes you want to see what's going to happen next.

Anyways, Uncharted, GOTG. I hope that the guys/gals are enjoying their vacations, and come back refreshed and happy when they see the thing that really matters, how it seems the majority of people that play this game is giving them all the love and credit they deserve.

I agree with Evan, and he should hide Uncharted 2 from the media, release stuff here and there on the PSN. The editors/reviewers really haven't done them any favors really ragging on the game for no good reason, black them clown shoes and their agenda's out as far as I'm concerned. Use the OPM and PSN to hype the game up, as the media won't do a damn thing if Uncharted 2 is actually even better than the first and not pull a H2 since they basically dismissed Uncharted being as one of the most epic titles we've seen this gen. And they do so by flat out lying in their reviews showing off what they're out to do.

cgcg

Yea it's fucking idiotic. If no other games out there incorporated Kill.Switch mechanics with TR mechanics then Uncharted is unique in it's own way and therefore it is a new experience.

Top Bottom