• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

SaitoH

Finished the game in 8 hours 53 minutes with 47 treasures. I thought I was scouring for treasure pretty well, but I still managed to miss 13. Immediated restarted on hard and am up to 49 treasures and 560 medal points. Hard is definitely doable. Wondering how I'll fare on crushing though ...

tanod

when is my burrito
johnFkennedy said:
Uhh,in the second chapter when nate says"God I'm so wet.",did you cream your pants?

Maybe she did.

That pirate skin looks like a tattooed version of one of those fashion magazines models. Dude's fucking ripped.

Core407

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
Uhh,in the second chapter when nate says"God I'm so wet.",did you cream your pants?

Also, if my PSN friends list is any indication then this game sold a lot better than Ratchet.

I actually just passed that point in the game and couldn't help but laughing. I thought it was sort of a joke referencing the way his clothes actually reflect being wet. :lol

Game is all sorts of awesome. So far I'm on chapter 4 but I definitely would have to say the game isn't a 9.5 or anything near that level. Probably around 9.2 or so up until this point. There is nothing really wrong with the game as far as game play goes. My issues are more related to the way platforming and gun play is handled and how they seem to be kept separate from each other. Some of the conversations are also a little suspect too as it seems ND opted for more one-liner type remarks than actual dialog.

Edit: Just watched the Gametrailers review. They said the melee is almost impossible to pull off and enemies aren't too smart. :lol

Edit 2: The creases in his shirt actually change as he's walking. I thought it was LOD issues at first but it's not - his shirt folds differently.

Kittonwy

Banned
Found treasure number 58.
Indifferent2.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bebpo said:
Chapter 12 - Holy shit...

That was the most next-gen vehicle level ever. SO AWESOME!
Oh it gets WAYYYYY better man, holy crap. The visuals ramp up and up and up. Wait until you reach
the catacombs. The lighting and mood there is peerless.
You are in for a tread.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Oh it gets WAYYYYY better man, holy crap. The visuals ramp up and up and up. Wait until you reach
the catacombs. The lighting and mood there is peerless.
You are in for a tread.

i heard from another forum namely beyond3d that the Fortress level has the best graphic out of all the levels in the game, is that correct?

LiquidMetal14

sleeping_dragon said:
i heard from another forum namely beyond3d that the Fortress level has the best graphic out of all the levels in the game, is that correct?
Too hard to choose. There are some utterly jaw dropping areas.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm stuck at that puzzle in ch.13

I've tried like everything. I tried pointing the statutes in the direction they face on the left page. So woman = South, two of them facing West and then one facing East. I've tried arranging them based on who their eyes are looking at so each statute looks in the direction of each other and the woman looks down at all of them.

I have no idea what else to read from this picture. Need help

Bebpo said:

I've tried like everything. I tried pointing the statutes in the direction they face on the left page. So woman = South, two of them facing West and then one facing East. I've tried arranging them based on who their eyes are looking at so each statute looks in the direction of each other and the woman looks down at all of them.

You're at least the second person who said this!
One faces each direction. Don't look at the pictures. Look at the words written next to the pictures. Those same words are written next to the compass directions. Match them up.

LiquidMetal14

Bebpo said:

Just look at the compass in the center of the room when the camera pans out. It says N, S, E, and O (Meaning west). Took me a bit to figure that out.

Has this been posted? Looks like we can forget about seeing ND's next game for quite awhile.

"Something else that I would say might change is something you guys pointed out in your 1UP Yours show -- the fact that we showed the game so early. In fact, we knew at the time that it wasn't, you know, solid -- in particular the A.I. and the gunplay," said Wells. "And we put it out there hoping we'd get the benefit of the doubt that we still had seven months of production left and then of course, we got the feedback...and it was good feedback, and in some ways it was a great focus test for where we were headed."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164476

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, this game is short. Just got to ch.16 and it says 79% complete at 4:55. :(

I don't want this game to end. It's so much fun :(

Evlar

Banned
The amazing thing about the fortress level- to me- is how authentic it is. It really looks like a Spanish fort, at least in the opinion of this layman who lives near real New World Spanish forts. Most video game locations feel more like Disney World attractions than historic architecture.

Bebpo

Banned
Damnit this game froze on me. First time a PS3 game has ever froze for me :( I thought only my X360 games did this >_<

Guess I'll beat it tomorrow.

teepo said:
HARDER DIFFICULTIES!

Eh, story is the same, levels are the same.

calder

Had to work late tonight so only could play a couple of hours tonight. I hate that I'm a bit past halfway done already, I'm loving it so much. :D Still surprised at how fun the combat is, and while the platforming is easy to do technically (in that the jumping is forgiving) I actually kinda like it that way. I do wish the path forward was a bit harder to see, that's where I do like challenge in my platformers.

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:
geez,level 18/19 = wtfzor

The other guys were right when they say theres a fucking twist to it.

Mine froze right after the twist :(

Though I think they may have left it for too long since there was setup for it from pretty early on.

Btw, does the game even take place in the bermuda triangle like people had deducted after it was first revealed? I remember the first reveal being the BT and having a picture of the krakken on the map and I was excited about all the potential they could do with a BT story.

Bebpo

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
So for those who have played it

is uncharted "GOTY" good, or just " entertaining " good?

:p

Need to finish the last 20%, but IMO if it had been RE4 length at like 15-20 hours it would've been fierce competition with SMG for GoTY awards. But at 6-8 hours, it's just really really awesome and entertaining for a night or two.

dfyb

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

GOTY good.

edit: personally i enjoyed it more than mario galaxy, but i'm someone who loved aspects of mario sunshine/64 that are removed in galaxy. and galaxy is a bit on the easy side, where as uncharted offers tough competition on hard and crushing difficulty level.

Evlar

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

I'm only half way through, but at this point it's good enough to make my Top Ten of the year with ease, and that's without giving Uncharted a leg-up as the 'Token PS3 Game'. It won't be my GOTY, 2007 is a tough year for that.

TEH-CJ

Banned
^^^

awesome <3

I'm a huge naughty dog fan and majority of there games have been my personal goty....so I'm sure uncharted will be amazing.

Loudninja

Bebpo said:
If Uncharted doesn't sell a million it'll be a crying shame.

Uncharted is a game that's worth buying a PS3 for.

I Know. also what pissed me pff people call ratcget a bomb, but they dont even know the total sales.

I love this game so much. My favorite action/adventure since RE4, though I think it's too short to top that game, based on what I've heard and my progress through it. It's not TOO short, but this game is going to end long before I want it to, that's for sure. I could easily keep this up for 20 hours, every second has been enjoyable. This is going to be one of those rare games I start over again the moment I beat it. Harder difficulty and to clean up the treasures and shit.

One thing that stands out is the presentation, it's so good. The script, the acting, everything. This plays like an interactive Indiana Jones movie and feels like one in every other way as well, has the same charm and chutzpah.

Core407

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

Truthfully I don't think it's GOTY. I think they've got a very sound concept here and it's definitely a blockbuster IP. I see a sequel potentially being a GOTY contender. There is a lot of things they could do to really bring this into a whole new realm - minor things in Uncharted that could see improvements too. Basically just tweaks here and there, some new concepts and more of what makes Uncharted so great. Platforming needs to be expanded, the gun play could use more incorporation of the environments. I find that I love the game all the way through but I do realize why some would rate it a 9. It's definitely not a 9.5 game, but not because anything is really wrong with it. I just feel like it basically refreshes the whole GOW-type combat but doesn't really add anything amazingly new to it. I don't even think ND was trying to add anything new to it, though. I don't know, I'm loving the experience but I think the main reason is just the whole level of cinematic polish there is, the voice acting, the dialog and all that. It just brings it all together in the overall package but if you were to look at it from a area-specific approach, you'll see the game for what it really is, which is an incredibly solid game. I think MP would have sold a lot of reviewers on the game too.

Core407 said:
Truthfully I don't think it's GOTY. I think they've got a very sound concept here and it's definitely a blockbuster IP. I see a sequel potentially being a GOTY contender. There is a lot of things they could do to really bring this into a whole new realm - minor things in Uncharted that could see improvements too. Basically just tweaks here and there, some new concepts and more of what makes Uncharted so great. Platforming needs to be expanded, the gun play could use more incorporation of the environments. I find that I love the game all the way through but I do realize why some would rate it a 9. It's definitely not a 9.5 game, but not because anything is really wrong with it. I just feel like it basically refreshes the whole GOW-type combat but doesn't really add anything amazingly new to it. I don't even think ND was trying to add anything new to it, though. I don't know, I'm loving the experience but I think the main reason is just the whole level of cinematic polish there is, the voice acting, the dialog and all that. It just brings it all together in the overall package but if you were to look at it from a area-specific approach, you'll see the game for what it really is, which is an incredibly solid game. I think MP would have sold a lot of reviewers on the game too.

I don't think they really needed to add much to the Gears battle system to make it work in this new, more adventure-oriented context. But I do think the melee system is a great addition, I often try to incorporate it into my strategies to conserve ammo, because I find myself running out a lot. It's fun trying to get close enough to them and to successfully catch one guy in such a way so that you don't get mowed down by the others. I never bothered doing anything like that in Gears.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Core407 said:

Cheers for that indepth opinion dude :)

Dante

TEH-CJ said:

Definetly my GOTY, Easily the most fun I've had with a game all season.

I'm having trouble with the"blow up 5 guys at the same time" reward. Does anybody have any suggestions? <aybe spoiler tag em.

YYZ

What action/adventure games out there are true multiplayer? Take the game for what it is and it's at least a 9, don't expect these types of games to be FPS, online, 20 hour experiences. I can see how this type of game can propel itself to a unanimous 9.5+ and I agree with most of your points.

Does every game have to meet absolute requirements? Does it have to be about outer space and aliens?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Dante said:
Definetly my GOTY, Easily the most fun I've had with a game all season.

I'm having trouble with the"blow up 5 guys at the same time" reward. Does anybody have any suggestions? <aybe spoiler tag em.

Thats also good to hear.

i absolutely love ND games, they just have a charm and a level of polish to them that is almost unrivaled.

jak2 is still in my top 5 games of all time.

Brashnir

TEH-CJ said:

I started playing today, and haven't finished it yet, but so far it's somewhere between the two. Better than just entertaining, but it's not a GOTY contender for me. It's really good. I think the firefights take altogether too long though, and the game would be a lot better if they were shorter. The game is definitely its best during the exploring/platforming parts of the game. It looks its best, since the camera tends to be pulled back more, and the platforming animations are really great to watch, plus it moves along at a better pace.

Bebpo said:
Need to finish the last 20%, but IMO if it had been RE4 length at like 15-20 hours it would've been fierce competition with SMG for GoTY awards. But at 6-8 hours, it's just really really awesome and entertaining for a night or two.

It's not 6-8 hours. It's 8-10 hrs. Took me 10:16 on my first playthrough with less than half the treasures found.

I thought the length was perfect. And there's a ton of replay value, IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
It's not 6-8 hours. It's 8-10 hrs. Took me 10:16 on my first playthrough with less than half the treasures found.

I thought the length was perfect. And there's a ton of replay value, IMO.

Most people have been posting 7-8 hour clear times. I'm barely over 6 and I have like 15% of game left. I really doubt the last 15% will take 2+ hours, so 7-8 sounds about right to me.

7-8 hours is acceptable for an HD game because the reality is that they cost so much to make, no one is willing to make 15-20 hours worth of non-stop original assets for a single HD game at this point.

3 years ago I would have docked any game I could finish in 7 hours. But these days 7-8 hours is the new median. If a game is 12-15 hours of non-stop original stuff it gets plus points for length. If a game is 5 hours or under it gets knocked for being too short.

Still, length is just a part of the experience. Ratchet's a few hours longer (took me about 10 hours), but Uncharted is a much better game and so I like it much more than Ratchet.

Bebpo said:
7-8 hours is acceptable for an HD game because the reality is that they cost so much to make, no one is willing to make 15-20 hours worth of non-stop original assets for a single HD game at this point.

I think it all depends on the genre. For a game like Uncharted that has such a heavy emphasis on gun fights I don't think it'd be a good idea to try to make a 15-20 game out of it because eventually repetition is going to start to set in and that's never a good thing for a game. So it's better to end a game early and leave the player wanting more (and in turn making the anticipation level of the sequel higher) than to keep it going longer than it should've (and make people less interest in the sequel).

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think it all depends on the genre. For a game like Uncharted that has such a heavy emphasis on gun fights I don't think it'd be a good idea to try to make a 15-20 game out of it because eventually repetition is going to start to set in and that's never a good thing for a game. So it's better to end a game early and leave the player wanting more (and in turn making the anticipation level of the sequel higher) than to keep it going longer than it should've (and make people less interest in the sequel).

RE4

Top Bottom