• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

So uncharted got 8/10 from Edge. Pleasing. Gamespot = Edge? Is that bannable? lol I think ND should be pleased with that...8 from Edge! Wooya

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
deepbrown said:
So uncharted got 8/10 from Edge. Pleasing. Gamespot = Edge? Is that bannable? lol I think ND should be pleased with that...8 from Edge! Wooya
I'm surprised by that score considering Edge had a scathing preview recently.
My copy of Uncharted is on the way from Movietyme, hopefully I'll get it by the weekend :D

deepbrown

Geezer said:
I'm surprised by that score considering Edge had a scathing preview recently.
My copy of Uncharted is on the way from Movietyme, hopefully I'll get it by the weekend :D
Shit I forgot about their horrible preview! So it must be fooking good if they still think it's great. Oooh exciting. Mines in the post, special delivery!!! $85 :/ woo hoo

Dyno

Played the first couple hours with friends last night. The game is thoroughly entertaining and highly polished thus far. Visually it's absolutely amazing, possessing GOW details but with more variety in colour. The shooting, platforming, and exploring were in perfect amounts. The story and dialogue is some of the best I've ever played.

It sure as hell started off like a GOTY and at any rate it's a must-play for PS3 owners.

drugo

Dyno said:
Played the first couple hours with friends last night. The game is thoroughly entertaining and highly polished thus far. Visually it's absolutely amazing, possessing GOW details but with more variety in colour. The shooting, platforming, and exploring were in perfect amounts. The story and dialogue is some of the best I've ever played.
a 'forest' is very difficult to realize in 3d, but with details and those texture and shader it is a incredible place.
It sure as hell started off like a GOTY and at any rate it's a must-play for PS3 owners.

I think Uncharted surpasses easily Gow details, a 'forest' is very difficult to realize in 3d, but with that details and those texture and shader it is an incredible place that mind blowing every time. :)
The Fortress have the best quality texture i have seen in a console game to date.

teepo

Bebpo said:

if there is one thing uncharted needs is a mercenary/arcade mode. they could've added some unique enemies to this mode, like enemies wielding chainsaws, zombies, aligators or what not. would've been KILLER. still, it's never to late to incorporate ideas into a finished game.

Basch

J-Rzez said:
No, no, no. This is the last time. PEOPLE are saying Gears inspired it, but this game was well underway when they decided to go with the cover system they chose. Evan Wells stated on numerous occassions Kill.Switch was their inspiration.

And Uncharted is doing a whole lot of new to your Gears meets TR dubbing, it's actually employing responsive and fun gameplay with control responsiveness. Along with even more incredible graphics, the best audio anyone will find in a game to date, GOOD voice acting/lines, and a story that makes you want to see what's going to happen next.

Anyways, Uncharted, GOTG. I hope that the guys/gals are enjoying their vacations, and come back refreshed and happy when they see the thing that really matters, how it seems the majority of people that play this game is giving them all the love and credit they deserve.

I agree with Evan, and he should hide Uncharted 2 from the media, release stuff here and there on the PSN. The editors/reviewers really haven't done them any favors really ragging on the game for no good reason, black them clown shoes and their agenda's out as far as I'm concerned. Use the OPM and PSN to hype the game up, as the media won't do a damn thing if Uncharted 2 is actually even better than the first and not pull a H2 since they basically dismissed Uncharted being as one of the most epic titles we've seen this gen. And they do so by flat out lying in their reviews showing off what they're out to do.

Wow, I agree with everything you said, except, of course, the part about gameplay as I have not played it yet. But I'm positive I will be echoing those claims as well once I have. It will be hard not knowing anything about the sequel for so long, though. Thanks a lot, media! :D We at least have to have one or two trailers before the game comes out though. But, yes, I absolutely agree with only releasing previews and videos through PlayStation: The Official Magazine and the PSN.

deepbrown said:
Shit I forgot about their horrible preview! So it must be fooking good if they still think it's great. Oooh exciting. Mines in the post, special delivery!!! $85 :/ woo hoo

Deep its a fricken tragedy you havent played this game yet.

One thing last night I was noticing is the acting in this game outside of HS is the best I have ever seen.
Two parts that particularly were amazing to me were first when you go into the
library that has all the ship records and Elena is talking to you there is one point where you can tell for the first time she is starting to fall for Drake but its not done with over the top gestures like a hand on his face or what she says its her eyes.
It was the first time for me in a game that I forgot these werent people. I cant believe they were able to convey such clear emotion in her eyes.

The second part relates more to the excellent writing and delivery when Drake sees
the footage of Sully alive again and looking somewhat like a traitor he looks absolutely confused and hurt at the same time and you can actually see his demeanor change to be more light hearted as he trys to just excuse it

Just another amazing thing about this game.

Poigea

Got the game yesterday, and played until I got passed the demo level. The game is amazing, definitely some of the best graphics I have seen on the PS3. The animations are incredible, just so realistic in the way he moves through doorways, down stairs, etc. The story is pretty engaging too, my girlfriend kept looking up whenever there was a cut scene because she liked it so much.

My only complaint is that sometimes I cannot tell how far he can jump, causing me a couple deaths so far. This is just minor though and overall everything about the game is just so polished.

The shooting feels great to me, and playing the demo definitely helped me get better with head shots. Can't wait to get out of work/school today and play some more.

Suddenly, I wish ND gave you the option of running around the whole island at once after you finish. I'd love to just take it all in.

BTW the first game to use a cover system was cabal lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceLeeRoy said:
One thing last night I was noticing is the acting in this game outside of HS is the best I have ever seen.
It is indeed. The best thing about it however, is that all the facial animation in the game is hand crafted, instead of performance captured like in HS. There's something very endearing about knowing all the gameplay animation as well as the faces in cutscenes were hand-animated. Only character movement in cutscenes was mocapped, and even then stuff like putting parachute on during the demo cutscene was hand-animated.

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
Deep its a fricken tragedy you havent played this game yet.

Two parts that particularly were amazing to me were first when you go into the
library that has all the ship records and Elena is talking to you there is one point where you can tell for the first time she is starting to fall for Drake but its not done with over the top gestures like a hand on his face or what she says its her eyes.
It was the first time for me in a game that I forgot these werent people. I cant believe they were able to convey such clear emotion in her eyes.

The second part relates more to the excellent writing and delivery when Drake sees
the footage of Sully alive again and looking somewhat like a traitor he looks absolutely confused and hurt at the same time and you can actually see his demeanor change to be more light hearted as he trys to just excuse it

Just another amazing thing about this game.
You're crazy! And i have to quote your words without the spoilers mahh... You know I haven't got the game yet you write a post that's fully black...which you know I'm not going to read! lol

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
It is indeed. The best thing about it however, is that all the facial animation in the game is hand crafted, instead of performance captured like in HS. There's something very endearing about knowing all the gameplay animation as well as the faces in cutscenes were hand-animated. Only character movement was mocapped, and even then stuff like putting parachute on during the demo cutscene was hand-animated.
Clever clever people.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dammitmattt said:
Context, buddy. We are talking about GOTY qualifications, and doing something new is very often a large part of the criteria. Uncharted should win plenty "best-looking" awards.
The problem isn't context, the problem is arbitrary definitions on your part. 'New' has absolutely no relevance the way you tried to qualify it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Marconelly said:
It is indeed. The best thing about it however, is that all the facial animation in the game is hand crafted, instead of performance captured like in HS. There's something very endearing about knowing all the gameplay animation as well as the faces in cutscenes were hand-animated. Only character movement was mocapped, and even then stuff like putting parachute on during the demo cutscene was hand-animated.

Pixar style:D

my friend who's an animator hates mo-cap with a passion, hates Beowulf/FF

dark10x said:
That's an odd article.

To be honest, I'm going to have to go with Halo 3 (for this year) with Lair as a close second. The water in Halo 3 had the look of typical shader water...but actually used a polygonal mesh. This not only allowed for interaction with the surface but also gave that surface a depth rarely seen. It also looked great in both small pools and large bodies. In all honesty, the water looked SO good that I would actually place it above Crysis (though that's one of the only areas where it stands ahead). Lair is also similar in that it uses a polygon mesh. It can occasionally look a bit tiled from great distances, but the effect of flying over the water and taking out ships is pretty incredible.

Bioshock water LOOKS great, but is completely flat and is rarely seen in large bodies. Uncharted is similar to Bioshock (though it offers mild interaction), but I don't think it looks quite as good.

Got to disagree completely with you on that bro I dont think Halo 3 should even be on that list Bioshock at least to me looks clearly better.

Uncharted is the undisputed winner here though when you look out of the fortress and see the water lapping up against the rocks or the stream above the waterfall it seriously makes me thirsty.

Marconelly said:

That is so cool.

deepbrown said:
You're crazy! And i have to quote your words without the spoilers mahh... You know I haven't got the game yet you write a post that's fully black...which you know I'm not going to read! lol

hahahaha sorry deep didnt mean to tempt you.

deepbrown said:
Gr. You still have the best Uncharted avatar.

Ha Ill make you a nice one right now to apologize deal?

[CFD] El Capitan said:
No joke they should make NateLeeRoy unlockable.

Only if his hands start to glow orange anytime someone holds his face in the water too long.

jmd494

To those who beat the game:

Did anyone else really, really not want to leave Elana alone with the monsters outside that door?

These characters effected a real feeling of attachment (at least for me). This is something which I feel only the ICO team have accomplished before.

Holy crap EDGE must have really really loved UNCHARTED.
They gave it a 8 and Assassins Creed and Mass Effect a 7

These characters effected a real feeling of attachment (at least for me). This is something which I feel only the ICO team have accomplished before.

I haven't beaten it yet but I couldn't agree with you more.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Holy crap EDGE must have really really loved UNCHARTED.
They gave it a 8 and Assassins Creed and Mass Effect a 7

I haven't beaten it yet but I couldn't agree with you more.

A 7 is a bout right for AC...the series has GREAT potential, but it has many weaknesses as well....

deepbrown said:

Funny thing, I have had Uncharted sitting right here for two days now but I haven't had time to play it. And it'll only cost me $50 if I end up buying it. Crazy stuff, eh?

Uncharted only froze once for me.. and it was when Drake and Elena were running from (Twist spoilers)

The undead? Spaniards
down the corridor. Fortunately, the start of said run was a check point so I didn't lose anything progress wise.

deepbrown

AltogetherAndrews said:
Funny thing, I have had Uncharted sitting right here for two days now but I haven't had time to play it. And it'll only cost me $50 if I end up buying it. Crazy stuff, eh?
Well it didn't cost me anything. So ner.:D

JB1981

Fired up Mass Effect last night before bed and both this game and Heavenly Sword have kind of ruined that game for me. The characters in ME are so dead in the eyes and stilted in their animations/facial expressions. Drake and Sword have really set a new standard, as far as I'm concerned.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
Fired up Mass Effect last night before bed and both this game and Heavenly Sword have kind of ruined that game for me. The characters in ME are so dead in the eyes and stilted in their animations/facial expressions. Drake and Sword have really set a new standard, as far as I'm concerned.
Well, to be fair, Mass Effect does a good job when you consider how BIG the game is. There is no way they could achieve the same level of quality throughout with that much dialog.

Uncharted was hand animated and HS uses performance capture. Mass Effect could not rely on such techniques.

deepbrown said:

Is the review online anywhere, or only in the magazine? Which issue is it?

JB1981

dark10x said:
Well, to be fair, Mass Effect does a good job when you consider how BIG the game is. There is no way they could achieve the same level of quality throughout with that much dialog.

Uncharted was hand animated and HS uses performance capture. Mass Effect could not rely on such techniques.

Why is Shephard such a terrible actor, though? I could deliver my lines better than him.

JB1981 said:
Fired up Mass Effect last night before bed and both this game and Heavenly Sword have kind of ruined that game for me. The characters in ME are so dead in the eyes and stilted in their animations/facial expressions.

So my comments about necrophiliac appeal weren't so far fetched after all, were they?

deepbrown said:
Well it didn't cost me anything. So ner.:D

Here you go deep use if you want:

uncharted2.gif

kaching said:
The problem isn't context, the problem is arbitrary definitions on your part. 'New' has absolutely no relevance the way you tried to qualify it.

I'm not just speaking for myself, though. I'm speaking in general terms of how our industry gives out awards.

Firewire

Banned
Ok the f'n mutated zombie dudes in Chapter 18 are pissing me off. I can get both electrical switches on, but the zombies always manage to get me right after. Its frustrating me right now!

Firewire said:
Ok the f'n mutated zombie dudes in Chapter 18 are pissing me off. I can get both electrical switches on, but the zombies always manage to get me right after. Its frustrating me right now!

Run to the door. I believe they respawn at that point.

JB1981

Firewire said:
you serious? that was so easy (even on hard). just shoot without aiming and when they got close zoom in to get a closer look

Top Bottom