• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Forsete

Urgh.. Still waiting on my copy.
VGP, you have let me down. :(

Some test shots Iäve taken from the demo.

hYjaNiFZH.jpg

izDEJxXXx.jpg

Spawn99

Banned
My review for Uncharted:

Did I rush through the game? Kinda, but I did it because I was so interested to see what would happen next and what nice graphical treat was around the next corner.

Graphics
What can I say to you guys that hasn't already been said. It is without a doubt in my mind the best looking game I have ever played (my PC can't even run the Crysis demo). The textures, the details, and characters, the weapons, everything, they are all top-notch. If I had anything to complain about, it would be the ocasional pop-in, but lets face it, almost every great looking game has it a little bit.
10/10

Sound
I played the game with my Tritton 5.1 Dolby Digital Headphones and heard everything. I have no complaints in the sound department. I haven't played a "Next-Gen" game that I would really complain about with the sound.
9/10

Presentation
The presentation is top-notch. Great cutscene direction topped with great voice work. I thought that I was watching a movie sometimes. The menu system is fine and easy to use.
10/10

Gameplay
This games gameplay is very nice. Not as good as I would have liked it to be. I wish there were more weapons and maybe even some melee weapons. The cover systems works well for the most part. It doesn't seem as well conceived as the cover system in Gears of War, but it does what it does well. I would have prefered to aim my grenade with the thumbsticks. Thanfully you only walk across three logs in this game to limit the six-axis control. I find it funny that I can shoot through walls or pillars since there is something off between the gun ind it's target. Mabye because it's not exactly over the sholder and that's why the aiming line-of-sight isn't perfect. The enemy is just terrible, but forgivable.
8/10

Lasting Value
This game does have a pretty cool achievement system with some cool unlockables. I can't say I look forward to finding all 60 treasures, but I did have fun mastering every weapon to unlock it's medal. The extra skins are kinda cool, and the weapons select options are welcome for further play-throughs. I would have liked some other specials, like super duper weapons or something. Or maybe I haven't seen them. Also, I can see myself playing through this game several time in the next few years. It's short, but sweet.
8/10

Closing Comments
I think I covered just about everything. Well, I forgot the story, which is entertaing from start to finish. The character animations are very nice and seem very realistic and fluid. I can easily say this is the best PS3 game I have played. It's a must buy. And I think from now on, if anyone wants to compare future action/adventure games, Uncharted must be in the discussion.

Overall
9/10

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
Why is Shephard such a terrible actor, though? I could deliver my lines better than him.
Hey, at least he sounds better than Altair from Assassin's Creed (that voice DID NOT fit the game AT ALL).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Spawn99 said:
I would have prefered to aim my grenade with the thumbsticks.
I think it was clarified earlier, that you can actually do this (with right stick I think?)

The enemy is just terrible, but forgivable.
Enemy what? AI? I think you'll hardly find anyone that agrees with that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
Fired up Mass Effect last night before bed and both this game and Heavenly Sword have kind of ruined that game for me. The characters in ME are so dead in the eyes and stilted in their animations/facial expressions. Drake and Sword have really set a new standard, as far as I'm concerned.
As Dark said, ME has to use procedural facial animation because for the amount of dialogue, that's the only way it makes sense. I think they did a pretty good job with that, can't remember if there's a game that uses that method which had it done better (HL2 maybe?). On the other hand, yeah that's not an excuse for making characters that look kinda dead, and even less for bad actor choice.

AKS

Spawn99,

I thought the gameplay was exceptional and worthy of a ND game. I even enjoyed the vehicle levels (a lot) and motion controls. I'd rate it higher than 8. Perfect blend of genres. 9 minimum.

As for an overall rating, I'd rate it in the mid to high 9 range. A better measure than a numerical value is that I have Super Mario Galaxy, Ratchet, and CoD4 in my library and am still playing lots of Uncharted.

patsu

Firewire said:
But the bastards always get me with one swipe when I have to reload, and yeah I'm on hard

Did you try swapping guns instead of reloading ? The P51 takes a long time to load :(

Dragon

Banned
Robobandit said:
Uncharted only froze once for me.. and it was when Drake and Elena were running from (Twist spoilers)

The undead? Spaniards
down the corridor. Fortunately, the start of said run was a check point so I didn't lose anything progress wise.

My copy actually froze at that point as well.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
Enemy what? AI? I think you'll hardly find anyone that agrees with that.
Yeah, I can't imagine ANYONE slamming the AI. Quite frankly, the AI in Uncharted is among the best I've ever encountered in a game. The way they work the environment and move in on you is incredible. We saw something similar with FEAR in 2005, but this is a whole new level.

msdstc said:
alright just beat it on crushing. I have to say it was extremely frustrating, wasn't too difficult though. There were some parts that were literally TOO HARD, where you had to die 3 or 4 times no matter what. Right now have 40 treasures, and all the medals except the treasure ones, so that's all I have left :).

edit-

I have.... questions?

what does cartoon nathan look like?

AKS

dark10x said:
Yeah, I can't imagine ANYONE slamming the AI. Quite frankly, the AI in Uncharted is among the best I've ever encountered in a game. The way they work the environment and move in on you is incredible. We saw something similar with FEAR in 2005, but this is a whole new level.

I certainly got a surprise from the AI going into the game with past experiences of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia in mind. I remember thinking "Man, those guys seem to be getting awfully close! Shouldn't they be settled behind cover and trade shots so I can pick them off?" You have to think quickly or you'll get rushed. The AI forces you to mix up your tactics.

dark10x

Ya know, another thing that really makes these visuals so impressive is just how much variety there is. With Gears, there were basically 5 different environments created for the game (one for each chapter). This applies to many other games as well. Uncharted, however, has such a broad range of areas that cover just about everything you could imagine. I can't imagine how much time and effort must have went into this. I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to extend some of the sections to put their work to even better usage. They created enough texture assets to fill two or three different games here.

Markade said:
Mine as well.
Not mine. :p

Firewire

Banned
patsu said:
Did you try swapping guns instead of reloading ? The P51 takes a long time to load :(

I try to, but I keep finding myself running out of ammo allot for both weapons that I carry.
And with those bastards around its almost impossible to pick up ammo with their one hit kills!

Kittonwy

Banned
AKS said:
I certainly got a surprise from the AI going into the game with past experiences of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia in mind. I remember thinking "Man, those guys seem to be getting awfully close! Shouldn't they be settled behind cover and trade shots so I can pick them off?" You have to think quickly or you'll get rushed. The AI forces you to mix up your tactics.

The AI really forces the player to use tactics and get creative, there's really no way to cheese the AI in this game, it's great.

Kittonwy said:
The AI really forces the player to use tactics and get creative, there's really no way to cheese the AI in this game, it's great.

Yeah it really forces you to keep moving which I love since in gears I rarely moved from a good cover spot once I got one.

Kittonwy

Banned
teepo said:
if there is one thing uncharted needs is a mercenary/arcade mode. they could've added some unique enemies to this mode, like enemies wielding chainsaws, zombies, aligators or what not. would've been KILLER. still, it's never to late to incorporate ideas into a finished game.

After Uncharted I would really hate to play a game with stupid mfing zombies and chainsaw sac on the head dudes.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dammitmattt said:
I'm not just speaking for myself, though. I'm speaking in general terms of how our industry gives out awards.
Then I guess you'd better re-examine what the industry gives awards to.

dark10x

Man, I'm working on Chapter 19 now and the fire fights are tough. The AI is just insane at times. They really DO try to sneak up on you and kick your ass. I've never seen an AI avoid firing while they work their way up behind me. I don't know what ND did here, but they really made the enemies SEEM intelligent.

JB1981

dark10x said:
Man, I'm working on Chapter 19 now and the fire fights are tough. The AI is just insane at times. They really DO try to sneak up on you and kick your ass. I've never seen an AI avoid firing while they work their way up behind me. I don't know what ND did here, but they really made the enemies SEEM intelligent.

The firefights get really dynamic and intense in the later stages. What I loved about them, though, was that they were never unfair. Playing on Hard is the way to go - the difficulty is perfectly balanced.

dark10x

JB1981 said:
The firefights get really dynamic and intense in the later stages. What I loved about them, though, was that they were never unfair. Playing on Hard is the way to go - the difficulty is perfectly balanced.
I'm going for that next.

I feel exactly the same way, though. The fire fights are far more open ended than I expected and that is exactly what elevates this game beyond Gears of War for me.

jmd494

One thing I really hate about crushing is it seems a bit unfair. For instance:

I had full health and was in "cover mode" behind a pillar, completely invisible to the enemy. I rolled directly from the cover position to an adjacent pillar. Somehow, the enemy picked me up in about a half secnd, mid roll and shot me in the side of my head, killing me instantly.

Frustrating to say the least.

EDIT: But that's what I get for playing on crushing!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Are you playing on Normal or Hard?

deepbrown

Justin Dailey said:
One thing I really hate about crushing is it seems a bit unfair. For instance:

I had full health and was in "cover mode" behind a pillar, completely invisible to the enemy. I rolled directly from the cover position to an adjacent pillar. Somehow, the enemy picked me up in about a half secnd, mid roll and shot me in the side of my head, killing me instantly.

Frustrating to say the least.

EDIT: But that's what I get for playing on crushing!
Most games don't have crushing! It's BEYOND hard :D

edit: Wow I keep looking at the avatars and seeing the one to my left, and thinking "Who is that, they are really cool" :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Linkzg said:
what does cartoon nathan look like?

kind of like a superhero, he's got a massive upper body, he kind of looks shaped like, say mr. incredible or captain qwark.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Justin Dailey said:
Thanks...how did you record it?

I bought the song off itunes and felt like sharing it with you guys.

JB1981 said:

I'm almost done hard right now...and it actually seems easier than when I played it on normal. I died A LOT on normal mode especially during the later half. I don't usually replay games on higher difficulties especially if I think sucked on normal, but the unlockables convinced me to do it for this game. And now everything is clicking; head shots are coming easier, I'm planning my attack better, I'm not running out of ammo and the result is I'm dying less...It's a really great feeling and makes me appreciate the combat system even more when I initially thought enemies were just being cheap. I look forward to what crushing brings, I think...

Forsete

deepbrown said:
That's my fave corner in the demo (still think your colours are all wrong...and not enough contrast)...if you go in the corner there you get a really good look at their texture layering. The wet moss, dry moss, wall...looks amazing. So amazing you could lick it.

Hehe..

Yeah the colours become a little washed out when I switch to component on my PS3. The same goes when I use it on my TV.. The difference is small but you can notice it.

That or the colours on my display are fucked up, making the pics on your display even worse. That has happened before when I was using a shit-old CRT (which was dark as hell and had a very yellow tone), adjusting the brightness after that monitor made my pics very washed out on any other monitor. :D

Top Bottom