• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Mesijs

Marconelly said:
It's good to know that Normal difficulty offers a solid challenge. I play pretty much all games on Normal first.

I strongly advice hard at first. I'm a normal-gamer too, but hard offers just the right challenge and offers a lot more satisfaction. Start hard form the beginning on!

Erebus

I made it up to chapter 6! The game is absolutely fantastic! I don't have any words to describe its breathtaking vistas.:D

deepbrown

Forsete said:
Hehe..

Yeah the colours become a little washed out when I switch to component on my PS3. The same goes when I use it on my TV.. The difference is small but you can notice it.

That or the colours on my display are fucked up, making the pics on your display even worse. That has happened before when I was using a shit-old CRT (which was dark as hell and had a very yellow tone), adjusting the brightness after that monitor made my pics very washed out on any other monitor. :D
Can you get a close up pick of that corner...climb up and go into the corner...you can get a good close shot of drake's face as well..what for a good expression and then boom. screenshot.

deepbrown

Mesijs said:
I strongly advice hard at first. I'm a normal-gamer too, but hard offers just the right challenge and offers a lot more satisfaction. Start hard form the beginning on!
I'm playing medium, then hard, then crushing :)

deepbrown

[CFD] El Capitan said:
The new avatar is awesome deep!
Thank BruceLeeRoy. He rocks. I don't feel worthy of it yet...need the game! To try and make up for it...here is another gift (note the cheat code)

87087_med.jpg

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
deepbrown said:
Thank BruceLeeRoy. He rocks. I don't feel worthy of it yet...need the game! To try and make up for it...here is another gift (note the cheat code)

87087_med.jpg

Bruce is the man.

You need the game! Where do you punch in all these cheats and what do they do??

deepbrown

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Bruce is the man.

You need the game! Where do you punch in all these cheats and what do they do??

Game is on it's way with the US Airforce it seems. Only ordered yesterday...might be here tomorrow lol.

I'm not sure...give them a try. The ARG opened them up...I know it's "cheating" to give them to you. I think some open up some things you would open with the achievements, others might give you something new :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There we go. Finished in 7 hours 51 minutes.

Brilliant game. Can't wait to play it again (in mirror mode on hard).

I think it just might be my favorite game of the year. The only other two on par with this are Portal and Bioshock. Oddly enough, Portal was too short and Bioshock was too long (which isn't usually a problem, but it lost some steam in the end). Uncharted felt JUST right.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm at the German U-boat part... chapter 3. When I shoot my gun, I don't get any sound effects. Is that just me? (Sorry if discussed before)

I'll look in the menus to check if I can fix it there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mesijs said:
Yeah, but you had a lot more experience with the game when you started playing it on hard. I'm just worried that I'll get stuck somewhere and get frustrated, I've read some people even complain that Normal is difficult for them.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, this last boss fight is fucking retarded.

I get close to him and do my 3 hit combo. Now he has the shotgun and I have no weapons and there is NOTHING TO HIDE BEHIND. I tried running to the helicopter to maybe save the girl and jump off or something but that doesn't happen. No idea what to do...

Flo_Evans

Bebpo said:

I get close to him and do my 3 hit combo. Now he has the shotgun and I have no weapons and there is NOTHING TO HIDE BEHIND. I tried running to the helicopter to maybe save the girl and jump off or something but that doesn't happen. No idea what to do...

just rush his ass after you get the 1st combo in

JB1981

Bebpo said:

Only thing retarded about that boss fight was how retardedly easy it was. Run up to him and swing your fists!

JB1981

Marconelly said:
Yeah, but you had a lot more experience with the game when you started playing it on hard. I'm just worried that I'll get stuck somewhere and get frustrated, I've read some people even complain that Normal is difficult for them.

I highly recommend starting out on Hard.

I reformatted my drive via the PS3 restore setting full format. The game still freezes on the boat. I'm in the market for a bigger HDD, do you think that will change the faith of my freezing, changing the hard disc drive?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gluv65 said:
I reformatted my drive via the PS3 restore setting full format. The game still freezes on the boat. I'm in the market for a bigger HDD, do you think that will change the faith of my freezing, changing the hard disc drive?

Did u also attempt a system restore as well?

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, that's better. So I'll just copy and paste my AIM to a friend after finishing it:

[13:42] Bebpo: uncharted was one of the best games I've played
[13:42] Bebpo: just finished it
[13:42] ---: yep
[13:42] ---: finished it a couple days ago
[13:42] Bebpo: wish it was longer, but it was long enough for a story about 1 island
[13:42] Bebpo: really felt like movie pacing/length
[13:42] ---:i was thinking that too
[13:43] Bebpo: it was like watching a big action movie
[13:43] ---: but if it had gone on longer it would have felt too repetative
[13:43] Bebpo: about a guy's adventure on an island
[13:43] ---: yeah
[13:43] Bebpo: it was really fun all through
[13:43] ---: definately
[13:43] Bebpo: and the graphics AND music were A+++
[13:43] Bebpo: good voice acting too
[13:43] ---: yeah, i think it's the best i've heard
[13:43] Bebpo: hopefully they'll do a sequel in a few years
[13:44] Bebpo: another adventure
[13:44] ---: seriously
[13:44] ---: the characters were awesome
[13:45] Bebpo: yeah
[13:45] Bebpo: I like how shooting from the hip worked
[13:45] Bebpo: towards the end I stopped aiming
[13:45] Bebpo: during
the big fights with normal guys + monsters
[13:45] Bebpo: and just against monsters
[13:45] Bebpo: just ran and shot
[13:46] Bebpo: and he actually hit them!
[13:46] ---: yeah, i did run and gun for the last part
[13:46] ---: shotgun is clutch
[13:46] Bebpo: yea
[13:46] Bebpo: I liked the
laser-sighted
enemies
[13:46] Bebpo: the fight in
the church at the end
[13:46] Bebpo: was awesome
[13:46] ---: yeah
[13:47] Bebpo: my favorite level though
[13:47] Bebpo: was the
2nd jetski level
[13:47] Bebpo: the upstream one
[13:47] Bebpo: where you are going up the rapids
[13:47] ---: yeah, that was pretty nuts
[13:47] Bebpo: it was the coolest vehicle level I've played
[13:47] Bebpo: graphics were amazing
[13:48] Bebpo: and it was just really fun
going up waterfalls
[13:48] Bebpo: and shooting dudes

So yeah, amazing gem from Naughty Dog. The first few Crash games were some of my favorite PS games, the first two Jak games were some of my favorite PS2 games, and now Uncharted is my favorite PS3 game.

I hope they do sequels every 2-3 years that are each another Indy-like adventure.

Also they get points for NOT ENDING WITH A FREAKING LEAD IN TO A SEQUEL. I can't remember the last X360/PS3 game I played that didn't end with a hook for a sequel. It's so stupid that everyone has to do it because they think it will help hype/sales for the next one. I'd rather have an ending that gives full and satisfying closure. Thank you Naughty Dog.

I'd give it about a 9-9.5.

PS. Uncharted had enemy types that fought differently AND real level design AND a good plot/characters AND awesome music. Makes me like AC even less for having none of that.

gluv65 said:

My guess that would help.

Oh yeah, deep, changed my avatar so you wouldn't cry, j/k!

deepbrown

justjohn said:
videogames plus better deliver my shit tommorow or hell will be getting a makeover
I think that would be the biggest insult ever if VGplus actually delivered your shit in a box...Woah I can see the look on your face after expecting Uncharted!:lol

VonGak!

Banned
deepbrown said:
I think that would be the biggest insult ever if VGplus actually delivered your shit in a box...Woah I can see the look on your face after expecting Uncharted!:lol

:lol deepbrown is a fitting username

Bebpo

Banned
Probably the only thing I would ask ND to implement in the sequel besides just tougher and more platforming and maybe some online elements is
BOSS FIGHTS. Gears and RE both had a handful of big scary bosses. As does Tomb Raider and all the other games Uncharted is inspired by.

I think a good set of 4-5 solid boss fights for the end of each major section would be nice to have in an action adventure game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
KGKK said:
I'm at chapter 17
Holy frickin' zombies, they did a good job hiding them
Man, that was intense how it contrasted from the rest of the game. The location and all was fantastic. Felt the mood tense up and got a little Silent Hilly at the moment.
. Currently working my way through that portion.

deepbrown

Bebpo said:
Probably the only thing I would ask ND to implement in the sequel besides just tougher and more platforming and maybe some online elements is
BOSS FIGHTS. Gears and RE both had a handful of big scary bosses. As does Tomb Raider and all the other games Uncharted is inspired by.

I think a good set of 4-5 solid boss fights for the end of each major section would be nice to have in an action adventure game.
We'd all prefer not to have spoilers thank you. mother f!

Bebpo

Banned
deepbrown said:
Yeah it is. Some people dont want to know what happens throughout the whole game. LIKE ME

Ok, but that's the kind of thing I would talk about in a review if I were reviewing it for a site since it's part of the genre.

dark10x said:
Man, I'm working on Chapter 19 now and the fire fights are tough. The AI is just insane at times. They really DO try to sneak up on you and kick your ass. I've never seen an AI avoid firing while they work their way up behind me. I don't know what ND did here, but they really made the enemies SEEM intelligent.

What's funny is AI is probably the last element anyone would have expected Naughty Dog to get right, let alone excel at. Nothing against the studio, but their previous games didn't exactly lend themselves to this sort of programming (Jak's trigger happiness aside). I'm pretty impressed they've devised such an enjoyable enemy to play against.

The general variety in the enemy routines is what does it for me. You can play the same scenario three times and have very different encounters each go around. When I think of my favorite shooty AI's it's a pretty short list (Half Life 1, Halo, Fear and now Uncharted) but they all have the same thing in common. Dynamism, or at the very least the illusion of it. Most AI is often either too effecient (cheap) or too easy (dumb), but it rarely seems genuinely diverse in it's approach. ND positively nailed that aspect.

Jtrizzy

As someone who has been heavily anticipating this game, here are my thoughts:

On my first play through (Friday, on normal) I played straight through till the twist with one break. The twist scared the living shit out of me. I had been playing so long I was kind of out of it, so every time
one of the descendants would come around the corner in that underground bunker
, I would freak out.

So I had to give up that night. Even the next night when I tried to finish it was too much, so I had to wait till it was day time outside to finish that part.

I see myself playing through this game many times. Right now I'm half way on my second play through. (hard, which I think is the perfect difficulty if you aren't trying to rush through it)

Bottom line:

There is no way this game deserves anything under a 9. The only negative I can see is the tearing.

SaitoH

You know, it's almost a shame that with the great AI and all those incredible art assets that they didn't include an unlockable RE4-like Mercenary mode. I enjoyed the combat in Uncharted so much that I think it'd work really well.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:

Good thing you don't get to pick crushing, because it's fucking hardcore, I can't remember how many times I would get pinned down and be completely oblivious to one of the mercs sneaking up behind me and perforate Drake with a shotgun.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:
Then stay far, far away from official threads of any game before you play them.
I'm not unexperienced with game threads. There is a thing called spoiler tags which people use accordingly, this time he didnt think of it.

deepbrown said:
I'm not unexperienced with game threads. There is a thing called spoiler tags which people use accordingly, this time he didnt think of it.

As more people play the game and as time passes, the use of spoiler tags goes away because it's really annoying having to spoiler tag every damn thing you say for fear of what some people might consider spoilers. If you're active in an official thread, you're just inviting yourself to get spoiled.

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:
As more people play the game and as time passes, the use of spoiler tags goes away because it's really annoying having to spoiler tag every damn thing you say for fear of what some people might consider spoilers. If you're active in an official thread, you're just inviting yourself to get spoiled.
Back off. It's been fine so far, I have only just had to ask one person to spoiler tag their post. "it gets really annoying"...well maybe you should wait until the game has released in all territories, and not just in one country where it's been released for 2 days.

ps. Are you the guy saying Uncharted doesn't do anything new, but COD4 does?

dammitmattt said:

F that bro how hard is it for you to spoiler tag something.
You want people to limit all their impressions till the end of the game thats ridiculous.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Awesome awesome awesome. Uncharted and Ratchet just showed up on my doorstep.

Along with AC and Sega Rally Revo.

Thanksgiving weekend is made.

Top Bottom