• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

chespace said:
Awesome awesome awesome. Uncharted and Ratchet just showed up on my doorstep.

Along with AC and Sega Rally Revo.

Thanksgiving weekend is made.

Oh man thats awesome bro get ready to have a kick ass weekend.

deepbrown said:
Back off. It's been fine so far, I have only just had to ask one person to spoiler tag their post. "it gets really annoying"...well maybe you should wait until the game has released in all territories, and not just in one country.

ps. Are you the guy saying Uncharted doesn't do anything new, but COD4 does?

I'm just trying to give you advice. Sometimes people don't even know they're spoiling something. As for your second question, I did say that because Uncharted doesn't do a whole lot new it won't be seriously considered for GOTY. That's not really my opinion, but that's how it usually works. Ratchet does even less new and it's up there for GOTY for me, so it was just a general point I was trying to make to explain why it won't get the GOTY awards that so many people in this thread think it's worthy of. I'm not sure where you're going with COD4 thing.

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:
I'm just trying to give you advice. Sometimes people don't even know they're spoiling something. As for your second question, I did say that because Uncharted doesn't do a whole lot new it won't be seriously considered for GOTY. That's not really my opinion, but that's how it usually works. Ratchet does even less new and it's up there for GOTY for me, so it was just a general point I was trying to make to explain why it won't get the GOTY awards that so many people in this thread think it's worthy of. I'm not sure where you're going with COD4 thing.
So which games are going to get GOTY?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
dark10x said:
There we go. Finished in 7 hours 51 minutes.

Brilliant game. Can't wait to play it again (in mirror mode on hard).

I think it just might be my favorite game of the year. The only other two on par with this are Portal and Bioshock. Oddly enough, Portal was too short and Bioshock was too long (which isn't usually a problem, but it lost some steam in the end). Uncharted felt JUST right.

Nice. What is mirror mode?

And it looks like I also got SOCOM Tactical Strike for PSP in the mail.

Is this game any good?

Can't wait to get into Uncharted tonight.

YYZ

Does this game need a walkthrough? It's fairly straightforward and linear. I could've made one instead of my treasure FAQ, but I figured you'd have to be a dumbass to not be able to get through normal. I assumed too much, I see some stupid questions popping up outside of NeoGAF.

I'm not going to do one now, maybe except for Crushing mode (I did one for GoWII Titan mode). It's too late, someone is undoubtedly already going to release a FAQ/walkthrough.

Well I can't play the game, so I'll chime in on what I perceive to be a positive for future Sony games. A 100% of you guys talk about the tactics(AI) being used i.e. flanking, cover, using grenades to flush you out of your strong hold. Well all I think about is games like Killzone and Resistance and Sony sharing tech. it bolds well for us gamers. Thats my positive experience with the game cheers.

YYZ said:
Does this game need a walkthrough? It's fairly straightforward and linear. I could've made one instead of my treasure FAQ, but I figured you'd have to be a dumbass to not be able to get through normal. I assumed too much, I see some stupid questions popping up outside of NeoGAF.

I'm not going to do one now, maybe except for Crushing mode (I did one for GoWII Titan mode). It's too late, someone is undoubtedly already going to release a FAQ/walkthrough.

Nah man I think your set with just a treasure FAQ. People that cant get through this game without a walkthrough probably dont know how to type in a website anyway.

YYZ

chespace said:
Mirror mode is the world flipped like if you were to put a mirror beside your TV and play the game from what you see in the mirror. Well it's not exactly like that because your controls would be reversed as well if you were to play from a mirror.

Naughty Dog should've flipped your controls in mirror mode. They don't do this do they?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Nah man I think your set with just a treasure FAQ. People that cant get through this game without a walkthrough probably dont know how to type in a website anyway.
Someone on IGN just asked why his game goes black+white on the first level.

gluv65 said:
Well I can't play the game, so I'll chime in on what I perceive to be a positive for future Sony games. A 100% of you guys talk about the tactics(AI) being used i.e. flanking, cover, using grenades to flush you out of your strong hold. Well all I think about is games like Killzone and Resistance and Sony sharing tech. it bolds well for us gamers. Thats my positive experience with the game cheers.

Dude it pains me gluv what a nightmare this has been for you man I am so sorry just bite the bullet and send your ps3 back this is ridiculous.

JB1981

gluv65 said:
jesus, man, that is so depressing AND STRANGE that this title is the only one your system refuses to play. you should have sony replace your console for you. sounds like the only solution at this point.

did you try posting at the official boards? maybe ND is aware of the problem and has a patch in the works?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
anybody found out what the hidden medal is yet? It's worth 30 points, it's right below dyno-might... I have EVERYTHING, but that. I've beaten it on crushing, hard, normal, easy, gotten all of the treasures, all of the other medals, now I just need that last one.

tanod

when is my burrito
msdstc said:
anybody found out what the hidden medal is yet? It's worth 30 points, it's right below dyno-might... I have EVERYTHING, but that. I've beaten it on crushing, hard, normal, easy, gotten all of the treasures, all of the other medals, now I just need that last one.

I think I read somewhere that it's
Super Dyno-might where you have to kill 3 enemies with an exploson 5 times in a row.
It sounds impossibly difficult.

msdstc said:

Speculation is that you have to do the dyno-might thing multiple times, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not.

deepbrown said:
So which games are going to get GOTY?

Mario, Mario, and Mario, with a smattering of votes for BioShock, Rock Band, and Halo 3

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
dammitmattt said:
Speculation is that you have to do the dyno-might thing multiple times, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not.

I can understand that since I below the dyno-might! one... but if that's the case, that's IMPOSSIBLE, I had trouble just getting it once. When I did get it, i forgot to save and I just quit out, so I had to do it again, took forever.

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:

Mario, Mario, and Mario, with a smattering of votes for BioShock, Rock Band, and Halo 3
Yuh because Rock Band and Halo 3 are original. uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your reasons for why Uncharted won't be GOTY is flawed. Your real reason why it won't is because it's on the ps3.

Kittonwy

Banned
gluv65 said:

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with the game.

tanod

when is my burrito
deepbrown said:
Yuh because Rock Band and Halo 3 are original. uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your reasons for why Uncharted won't be GOTY is flawed. Your real reason why it won't is because it's on the ps3.

The real reason why this will affect game editor's votes is because some/most still don't have a personal PS3 outside of work. If they can't play it, they can't vote for it.

deepbrown said:

Rock Band and Halo 3 are endlessly replayable. Uncharted is not.

Plus, what tanod said.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't played it yet, right? There are at least two people in this thread with Uncharted avatars who have yet to play the game but are bitching about reviews and that it probably won't win any GOTY awards. Is there anything wrong with this picture? On top of that, I highly doubt you've played Halo 3 or Rock Band so you are passing GOTY judgement on three different games without playing them. Consider me amazed.

B-Ri

dammitmattt said:

Plus, what tanod said.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't played it yet, right? There are at least two people in this thread with Uncharted avatars who have yet to play the game but are bitching about reviews and that it probably won't win any GOTY awards. Is there anything wrong with this picture? On top of that, I highly doubt you've played Halo 3 or Rock Band so you are passing GOTY judgement on three different games without playing them. Consider me amazed.

this game deserves to be up there for GOTY.

I am a multiplatform owner, and this game is awesome awesome.

Core407

Banned
dammitmattt said:

Plus, what tanod said.

Rock Band is designed to be one of those games with longevity. The game play is pretty straight forward which is what gives it those legs. Halo 3 SP isn't endlessly repayable and the MP replay ability seems to vary from person to person. Seems a lot of people have moved over to COD4 already which makes me wonder how great the MP in Halo 3 is (or isn't). Uncharted is a strictly single player game and for being just that, it's surprisingly repayable. They added a bunch of game modifiers that can be enabled to change up the way the game is played. A fast mode which makes it more twitch-based, a mirror mode and other additions.

YYZ

well apparently there are 61 treasures, I'm updating my FAQ at the moment. The one missing from my FAQ is in the area after you get the Strange Relic. It's behind one of those arch-shaped iron gates.

KGKK

Banned
Just beat the game. Awesome-o!!!1 Loved the ending,
no cliffhanger or opening left for the next game which is rare nowdays in games, the ending kinda reminded me of The Mummy with the greedy sidekick finding the gold:lol
My stats are pretty low since I kinda did not look for treasure since I was so engrossed in the story. 27/60 treasures, 390/1000 medal points unlocked.:D I think I put around 9 1/2 hours into the game.

chespace said:

Mirror mode flips everything left/right, including the cutscenes. The controls stay the same, but it screws with your head nonetheless because enemies now enter from the left instead of the right, the path now goes to the right instead of the left, etc.

Kittonwy

Banned
B-Ri said:
this game deserves to be up there for GOTY.

I am a multiplatform owner, and this game is awesome awesome.

I agree, Uncharted is definitely my GOTY, panda-tested, Kittonwy-approved.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
I agree, Uncharted is definitely my GOTY, panda-tested, Kittonwy-approved.
Indifferent2.gif
Truth! This game has been way more than ps3 "meh"gatons like HS and Lair (both games I lLike but im not rushing to replay). A great game is like a great movie, you want to go through it again as soon as its over. Uncharted is the 'Bubba Ho-tep" of games.

Now we can have a separate Ratchet Vs Uncharted discussion, but honestly I'm on the fence. Both had a good story with a decent ending. Both have solid gameplay, a good mix of platforming and shooting, look outstanding, and still manage to be two very different games. Toss-up!

calder

I'm only 75% done (almost 6 hours played, so what I'm slow lol) but I had to say - the visuals in some places when you hit the second half are just mind boggling, and everywhere else they are merely 'superb'. ;) Good lighting and shadows always impress me, and Going Underground just knocks that shit out of the damn park. Bravo ND.

One little thing I like in a game full of nice little touches: the nicely animated treasures. I might have already said it, but finding random treasure is good but actually seeing a cool 3d animated model of authentic looking relics adds that extra little bit of pleasure for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
calder said:
I'm only 75% done (almost 6 hours played, so what I'm slow lol) but I had to say - the visuals in some places when you hit the second half are just mind boggling, and everywhere else they are merely 'superb'. ;) Good lighting and shadows always impress me, and Going Underground just knocks that shit out of the damn park. Bravo ND.

One little thing I like in a game full of nice little touches: the nicely animated treasures. I might have already said it, but finding random treasure is good but actually seeing a cool 3d animated model of authentic looking relics adds that extra little bit of pleasure for me.
Visualy, nothing is perfect. Always room for improvement. But, when they have such varied and high resolution textures going about, it is hard to complain. Sure not 100% of everything is awesome but most of it is. To start dissecting everything is just going to far. Overall this is still the most visually impressive game this gen. And I totally agree on the treasures, they didn't have to really get the detail on them but they went beyond the call there.

Oneself

I'm near the end. What an awesomely awesome game. Seriously awesome. If you have a PS3 and don't buy this game, you're part of the problem.

The last chapter are especially great because
it completely changed how I played. I almost never used the blind fire and took it fairly slowly my first time through. At the end it was all blind fire and running my ass off when those things come at you. The blind fire was much more accurate than I though it would be.

klee123

BobTheFork said:
The last chapter are especially great because
it completely changed how I played. I almost never used the blind fire and took it fairly slowly my first time through. At the end it was all blind fire and running my ass off when those things come at you. The blind fire was much more accurate than I though it would be.

I've still yet to play the game (since the the retailer that I ordering Uncharted from still hasn't got any new copies), but from what I played of the demo on hard, since the enemies often rush at you, blind fire actually hits around 80% of the time.

Bebpo

Banned
Oneself said:
I'm near the end. What an awesomely awesome game. Seriously awesome. If you have a PS3 and don't buy this game, you're part of the problem.

Yep. If Uncharted does not perform, PS3 owners suck and deserve a foot in the face.

Firewire

Banned
I'm so pissed off right now!

***** calls Uncharted a blatant rip-off of Tomb Raider, gives it 86%

I will not provide a link to this crap!

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:

Whoever it is fails to recognize that the Tomb Raider games were never that good. TR is like a tech demo (proof of concept) compared to Uncharted.

LiquidMetal14

Firewire said:

At this point whoever says something like that has lost the ability to properly judge a game. Uncharted is non-stop movie like gaming while Tomb Raider is a adventure game with very poor pacing. On top of that Uncharted feels far more natural, among other stronger suits.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't get why everyone is complaining about reviews... what are you gunna do about it? It really seems as though a lot of people are biased, for instance a guy giving an 8.5 to sonic, but an 8 to uncharted. Saying uncharted is unoriginal? Saying the AI IS DUMB?!?!?!?! but w/e nothing we can do, all I can say is uncharted 2 is gunna blow us away. Sony has set up a powerhouse of IPs to add to all of their old franchise games now. Resistance 2, motorstorm 2, heavenly sword 2, and uncharted 2. With LBP, infamous, killzone 2(starting over), eight days, and more on the way.:D

SSM25

Firewire said:

I bet they scored the game higher than any Tomb Raider game they have ever reviewed :lol

Spike

Jtrizzy said:
Bottom line:

There is no way this game deserves anything under a 9. The only negative I can see is the tearing.

Is there alot of screen tearing in the game? I get headaches if there is alot of it going on.

LiquidMetal14

Spike said:
Is there alot of screen tearing in the game? I get headaches if there is alot of it going on.
No way. Things like this are being over-analyzed this gen. It's not Assasins Creed bad. In that game I actually notice it but even then it does not take away from the experience.

dfyb

Banned
Spike said:
it happens more when you're rotating the camera and there's a lot going on in the environment. in general it's not much of an issue at all and even at it's worst, it's not that bad.

Salazar

tanod said:
Whoever it is fails to recognize that the Tomb Raider games were never that good. TR is like a tech demo (proof of concept) compared to Uncharted.

Variable in quality - yes. The second sentence is where you break your fist trying to hit TR too hard.

tanod said:

TR is an awesome series that thankfully has been picked back up by CD. Just because some shit site wants to compare it to Uncharted in a negative way is no reason to bash it.

Top Bottom