• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

zombi

After playing a few games after this I have to come back to the thread and say how much I love how ND designed the save system. Saves often enough so you dont have to break the experience and go menu digging and do it yourself. And I love that when you die in Uncharted you start back from either where you were or at the last wave of enemies you defeated, instead of at your last manual save or at the absolute beginning of a battle

Loudninja

SolidSnakex said:
TR is an awesome series that thankfully has been picked back up by CD. Just because some shit site wants to compare it to Uncharted in a negative way is no reason to bash it.

Sorry but TR games are not that good. to me.But enough of that, lets get back on topic

Kittonwy

Banned
I haz all teh treasures.
Indifferent2.gif

KGKK

Banned
Oh btw, (spoiler for the last 4 chapters)
did the zombie spaniards remind anybody else of the creatures from the movie "The Descent"?

Brashnir

zombi said:
After playing a few games after this I have to come back to the thread and say how much I love how ND designed the save system. Saves often enough so you dont have to break the experience and go menu digging and do it yourself. And I love that when you die in Uncharted you start back from either where you were or at the last wave of enemies you defeated, instead of at your last manual save or at the absolute beginning of a battle

The save system is pretty standard nowadays, but I've found that in most cases, it does start you back at the beginning of a battle when you load, unless the second/third/whatever wave is triggered by your movement instead of killing a # of enemies.

zombi

Brashnir said:
The save system is pretty standard nowadays, but I've found that in most cases, it does start you back at the beginning of a battle when you load, unless the second/third/whatever wave is triggered by your movement instead of killing a # of enemies.
Someone should let Mass Effect know its standard. (I dont mean this as trolly as it sounds. Im just frustrated at the moment) But looking back on Uncharted it is that experience that you remember, because you never had a system to fight against. It was polished/streamlined so that the experience was paramount. I like that in games...

Bebpo

Banned
KGKK said:
did the zombie spaniards remind anybody else of the creatures from the movie "The Descent"?

Yeah,
when describing them to a friend yesterday I said "Have you seen the descent?, ND ripped them straight out of it". All white, live in caves and climb on the ceilings/walls. Go for the neck bite or pull people down into holes....

Bebpo

Banned
Brashnir said:

Not really. Uncharted has pretty much the best save/checkpoint system of any game outside Halo (where you make your own). Uncharted checkpoints so much I never had to redo more than 10-30 seconds. In most other games I'll often have to redo 5-30 mins.

Brashnir

zombi said:
Someone should let Mass Effect know its standard. (I dont mean this as trolly as it sounds. Im just frustrated at the moment) But looking back on Uncharted it is that experience that you remember, because you never had a system to fight against. It was polished/streamlined so that the experience was paramount. I like that in games...

Mass Effect is an RPG with a galaxy to explore. A straightforward linear checkpoint system isn't really viable there like it is with Uncharted, Halo, Call of Duty, and the dozens of other games that do this.

Jtrizzy

no the tearing isn't that bad. Only the hardcore would be even mildly bothered by it. This game is the definition of a must buy.

It really is the closest I've seen when it comes to blurring the line between movies and games. I usually hate voice acting in cut scenes, and I love this one.

zombi

Brashnir said:
Mass Effect is an RPG with a galaxy to explore. A straightforward linear checkpoint system isn't really viable there like it is with Uncharted, Halo, Call of Duty, and the dozens of other games that do this.
It could totally be done, Im not a designer but theres gotta be something better than what its doing now (Btw, Im speaking in combat situations, where there are either rooms or waves of enemies, so itd fit there). In any case this isnt the thread for it so, Ill leave it at that.
As a last thought on Uncharted I do wish I had a DS3 to play it with, I think it would have really benefited from that extra level of immersion, made Nate's gunfight reactions that much cooler.

Basch

dammitmattt said:
Rock Band and Halo 3 are endlessly replayable. Uncharted is not.

Plus, what tanod said.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't played it yet, right? There are at least two people in this thread with Uncharted avatars who have yet to play the game but are bitching about reviews and that it probably won't win any GOTY awards. Is there anything wrong with this picture? On top of that, I highly doubt you've played Halo 3 or Rock Band so you are passing GOTY judgement on three different games without playing them. Consider me amazed.

I take it that you didn't read my post a while back after your last response to me. Well, here's a little link to it. I feel that I have already explained everything within my posts on what my view is after you have rudely called me out on my own opinion.

Please read through the whole thing before commenting.

Plus, I am probably not the only one when I say this, but Halo 3 is pretty broken balance-wise, at least in Multi-Player. And, yes, I have played the game. For 20 hours or so at least. I have been playing it since the day it came out. Recently, though, I bought an 80 Giga Byte PS3 (the one that comes with Motorstorm) and Resistance: Fall of Man. I have only had Resistance for probably six days now, but I have already clocked around 25-30 hours into that game. Seven hours of it came from yesterday. That is endless replayability. It helps to have an extremely balanced system. :D But, that is just me. Others may not agree, but what may be endless to one person is not to another. So from this perspective, some may not even consider Halo 3 for Game of the Year, if going by your suppossedly truthful statements.

On a side note, I will take you up on that bet (as long as it doesn't cost anything, I don't gamble :lol ). I bet you that more than anything Uncharted: Drake's Fortune will win a Game of the Year award: the PlayStation 3 Game of the Year award for sure. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Bebpo said:
Not really. Uncharted has pretty much the best save/checkpoint system of any game outside Halo (where you make your own). Uncharted checkpoints so much I never had to redo more than 10-30 seconds. In most other games I'll often have to redo 5-30 mins.

On crushing you literally HAVE to have a save system like that in order to keep the game viable, it's INTENSE. Dudes with magnums or shotguns can kill you in one shot.
Indifferent2.gif

KGKK

Banned
Kittonwy said:
On crushing you literally HAVE to have a save system like that in order to keep the game viable, it's INTENSE. Dudes with magnums or shotguns can kill you in one shot.
Indifferent2.gif

Even on normal, I kept getting killed with one shot from a shotgun:lol

I'd really like to see ND patch in (or DLC) an arena mode where you just fight an endless stream of baddies that get progressively harder. Would work great with detailed leaderboards.

MoeB

I just finished it. Overall it was an amazing experience. Though I have to say that I didn't enjoy the bits with the
spanish zombies

MoeB said:
I just finished it. Overall it was an amazing experience. Though I have to say that I didn't enjoy the bits with the
spanish zombies.

Nice work! Next time, try this (remove the asterisks first):

[*spoiler]I don't want people to read this because I don't want to ruin the surprise... OOPS[*/spoiler]

Basch

Red Blaster said:
Thanks for the spoiler fuckface. Do you dumbasses even think before you hit the submit button?

Thank god, I was too busy posting a reply in another thread. :lol Man would I have been pissed. Maybe it is time for me to leave this thread, until Christmas.

Don't worry MoeB. I forgive you, if that is any consolation. :D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Red Blaster said:
I'd really like to see ND patch in (or DLC) an arena mode where you just fight an endless stream of baddies that get progressively harder. Would work great with detailed leaderboards.

or a side story

tanod

when is my burrito
KGKK said:
Even on normal, I kept getting killed with one shot from a shotgun:lol

I didn't have a problem keeping my distance in normal but on hard, blind firing the shotgun guy from cover is a must, especially if you're also using a shotgun. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just beat it. I am in awe. I don't know how to describe the satisfaction. Sounds cliche but this is one game that CANNOT be passed up this year. I'm speechless.

KGKK

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Just beat it. I am in awe. I don't know how to describe the satisfaction. Sounds cliche but this is one game that CANNOT be passed up this year. I'm speechless.

QFT!:D

Kittonwy

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
or a side story

I don't think they're going to downloadable content. It would be cool but on the other hand I want them to spend all their effort on making the next Uncharted game.
Indifferent2.gif

joesmokey

KGKK said:
Yes, I definitely thought of the creatures from The Descent when I first saw them in game too.

Defuser

If they ever do uncharted 2. I would like ND to do what Shinji mikami didn't do for RE4 which is their E3 tech demo of the haunted castle where Leon fights paranormal creatures with the infamous hook man.

KTallguy

Banned
I just finished. Really enjoyed it. Beat it on Hard, first go. Last sequence is pretty awesome.

I want another one!!!

Hmmm... I must have switched to normal halfway through or something, because it's not giving me credit for beating it on hard...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Bleh I gave it another try and now I just plain give up. Why can the enemies shoot continuously with perfect accuracy and unlimited bullets when I can't aim for crap and have to make every shot count? And where is my health meter? How do you get unhurt? Gah. I hate that camera angle for shooting. It's the same one as RE4 and in that game I can't get past the first darn screen. -_-;

tl;dr

Why the heck did such an awesome looking adventure game have to be a shooter. -_-

Brashnir

Lindsay said:
Bleh I gave it another try and now I just plain give up. Why can the enemies shoot continuously with perfect accuracy and unlimited bullets when I can't aim for crap and have to make every shot count? And where is my health meter? How do you get unhurt? Gah. I hate that camera angle for shooting. It's the same one as RE4 and in that game I can't get past the first darn screen. -_-;

tl;dr

Why the heck did such an awesome looking adventure game have to be a shooter. -_-

The enemies are unbelievably inaccurate, they're like Storm Troopers, though they do have unlimited ammo. You don't have a health meter. The screen turns grey as you get hurt. Stay behind cover (press O to enter cover) and avoid getting shot for like 10 seconds to recover health.

Brashnir said:
The enemies are unbelievably inaccurate, they're like Storm Troopers, though they do have unlimited ammo. You don't have a health meter. The screen turns grey as you get hurt. Stay behind cover (press O to enter cover) and avoid getting shot for like 10 seconds to recover health.

Not on Hard or Crushing. Not at all.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I just beat it and wanted to express my complete love for the game

It looks like this will be my runner-up for GOTY behind Rock Band

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:
Rock Band and Halo 3 are endlessly replayable. Uncharted is not.

Plus, what tanod said.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't played it yet, right? There are at least two people in this thread with Uncharted avatars who have yet to play the game but are bitching about reviews and that it probably won't win any GOTY awards. Is there anything wrong with this picture? On top of that, I highly doubt you've played Halo 3 or Rock Band so you are passing GOTY judgement on three different games without playing them. Consider me amazed.
YOU clearly missed the point. YOUR statement was "A game has to be original and new to be GOTY", thus "Uncharted can not be GOTY". There are two ways to argue against this. To prove that Uncharted is original, thus making it a false inference, OR to ask you for other games that you think will be GOTY and see if they themselves are original.

YOU said ROCK BAND and HALO3. Neither of which stand up to YOUR standards of "new" and "original". Even by saying they are "replayable", you are not tackling your original premise. meaning you are contradicting yourself.

I don't have to play any of these games, to see that your reasoning is both fallacious and contradictory.

I BID YOU GOOD DAY.

deepbrown

Core407 said:
Rock Band is designed to be one of those games with longevity. The game play is pretty straight forward which is what gives it those legs. Halo 3 SP isn't endlessly repayable and the MP replay ability seems to vary from person to person. Seems a lot of people have moved over to COD4 already which makes me wonder how great the MP in Halo 3 is (or isn't). Uncharted is a strictly single player game and for being just that, it's surprisingly repayable. They added a bunch of game modifiers that can be enabled to change up the way the game is played. A fast mode which makes it more twitch-based, a mirror mode and other additions.
Don't get dragged into his flawed reasoning. First the reason was "not original", now it is "not replayable".

BTW a splendid review here: 18/20 http://www.project-tideas.com/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review

antiloop

Red Blaster said:

Good idea.

reminder

deepbrown said:
IT'S HERE! Take that! 3 days delivery from the US to my little village in the middle of nowhere in the UK. OOOH YEAH

Wow. VPG shipped my copy on friday and it's still not here. I'm from germany. :/

Wollan

reminder said:
Wow. VPG shipped my copy on friday and it's still not here. I'm from germany. :/
Same (though country is Norway). Took me exactly seven days last time so I'm expecting the game tomorrow.

kanugo

It usually only take 3 work days to my orders to arrive in Europe from them. Maybe the airmail are overload because it's almost Christmas.

Or maybe half Europe bought the game from them (VG+).

Kittonwy

Banned
Brashnir said:

On crushing they're deadly accurate, especially with the shotgun or wassler (sp?) or desert eagle.

Top Bottom