• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

EekTheKat

This game has the single best Beretta I've ever seen in any game. Everything from the sound effect to how the gun drops pirates dead is just so perfect.

In game it's probably my favorite weapon, over all the rifles + shotguns + the magums.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm about to start Uncharted (even though I was going to wait till I was done with AC).

Which difficulty level should I start on?

Big-E

chespace said:
I'm about to start Uncharted (even though I was going to wait till I was done with AC).

Hard che. A lot of people here who started on normal and tried hard said hard was better. I played through on Hard and found the difficulty to be just right.

chespace

Any major differences between hard and normal?

I seriously regret playing through COD4 my first time on veteran. :lol

I guess I'm looking for Legendary-style difficulty, not cheap ass "enemies-take-more-damage-and-do-more-damage"-style difficulty... which is more about trial and error and frustration.

JB1981

chespace said:

I guess I'm looking for Legendary-style difficulty, not cheap ass "enemies-take-more-damage-and-do-more-damage"-style difficulty... which is more about trial and error and frustration.
Play on Hard.

Kosma

Banned
reminder said:
Wow. VPG shipped my copy on friday and it's still not here. I'm from germany. :/

Haven't gotten it either yet from VGP...(Netherlands) With Ratchet it only took 3 days, now it's been a week almost. But I haven't been home since I've been to the gym so who knows.... *prays*

spwolf

chespace said:

Hard means smarter ai that flanks you better... but yes, it will be hard.

vpance

Hard is perfect for the first playthrough. You have strategize a little to win. Enemies dont become bullet sponges or anything like that.

Started on Crushing now, and you can't just pop out randomly to shoot back since they can kill you in 1 shot. It's awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
chespace said:

COD4 is cheap.

If you're looking for Legendary Style difficulty then you have to play it on crushing. Enemies are more accurate and they're much more aggressive in terms of flanking and cover. :|

Kittonwy

Banned
vpance said:
Hard is perfect for the first playthrough. You have strategize a little to win. Enemies dont become bullet sponges or anything like that.

Started on Crushing now, and you can't just pop out randomly to shoot back since they can kill you in 1 shot. It's awesome.

The magnum and shotgun wielding guys are so much deadlier than before. You basically have to use blind fire to a degree and make your shot count, compared to hard I can't stay exposed for much at all, it's peak and shoot, sometimes when I can't get my aim right I have to give up on my shot or go for the body instead of the head, with tall cover I often do a manual peak slowly and shoot without going into cover mode. Getting outflanked is a SERIOUS threat on crushing, I can't remember how many times I was taking on two guys and somehow another one snuck up behind me and kill me with a shotgun in one shot POINTBLANK. >:0

I can't get enough of that soundtrack, downloaded it last night from iTunes, so afw. :mad:

dfyb

Banned
chespace said:

play on hard and if it gets too hard, you can set it to normal mid-game

tanod

when is my burrito
chespace said:

In Uncharted, the AI gets smarter and better accuracy as you increase difficulty. They take exactly the same amount of damage to take down. They're just harder to hit because they move around more.

Kittonwy said:
The magnum and shotgun wielding guys are so much deadlier than before. You basically have to use blind fire to a degree and make your shot count, compared to hard I can't stay exposed for much at all, it's peak and shoot, sometimes when I can't get my aim right I have to give up on my shot or go for the body instead of the head, with tall cover I often do a manual peak slowly and shoot without going into cover mode. Getting outflanked is a SERIOUS threat on crushing, I can't remember how many times I was taking on two guys and somehow another one snuck up behind me and kill me with a shotgun in one shot POINTBLANK. >:0

I can't get enough of that soundtrack, downloaded it last night from iTunes, so afw. :mad:

Yeah. I finally figured out the necessity of using blind fire on Crushing. I hardly ever used it on Normal and Hard, but you really have to use it to prevent masses of flanking troops in Crushing. Then it becomes a strategic quandary of blind fire vs. limited ammo...

Also, on Crushing, I'm finding those grenade launcher guys really like to ruin your day if you are behind a destructable cover point! :lol

I am falling in love with the SPAS on Crushing too.

Ceb

So yeah, I got my copy today. Been playing for 3 hours, I'm on chapter 6. It's sooooo good. If the game can keep up this quality, it'll be the best game I've played in a long while. It's basically a more agile RE4/GeOW in terms of combat, with the big differences being Nathan's nimble moveset and the great enemy AI. Throw in ICO-ish platforming, good writing and the most jaw-dropping visuals I've seen in gaming so far and you have something special.

Funny how the demo area is the least impressive part of the game so far. The fortress and the u-boat are drool-worthy to the max.

celpacius

finished the game today.

the last few fight sequences are great but i wished it contained a few more varieties.

other than that, i want to play through this again for sure on a harder level. i havent had this much fun in a single player game since god of war

definitely one of my top 3 games of 07

chespace said:

Start with Hard, and if you don't like it, you can switch to another difficulty at any time during the game...

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. I finally figured out the necessity of using blind fire on Crushing. I hardly ever used it on Normal and Hard, but you really have to use it to prevent masses of flanking troops in Crushing. Then it becomes a strategic quandary of blind fire vs. limited ammo...

Also, on Crushing, I'm finding those grenade launcher guys really like to ruin your day if you are behind a destructable cover point! :lol

Crushing lives up to its name. Man, I am getting blasted by shotgunners and magnum wielders. I haven't even gotten to the
mercs yet
! Areas where I never died in hard are slaughterhouses now.

Avalon

celpacius said:
the last few fight sequences are great but i wished it contained a few more varieties.

The last section is a bit disappointing. You don't get a huge variety of weapons, enemy actions seems less dynamic... I did play it on Normal though.

Firewire

Banned
Shit my 2 DS3's arrived today, but I can't use them as I'm giving them to a friend as a gift. I'm so tempted and fuck do they look mint in white!

Bebpo

Banned
Avalon said:
The last section is a bit disappointing. You don't get a huge variety of weapons, enemy actions seems less dynamic... I did play it on Normal though.

Last section as in:
Tanker? Or level before that?

Because I think the level before that was really fresh in variety with the war going on between the 2 groups and you could decide how you wanted to get through that.

The tanker level was a short boss level, so I didn't expect it to introduce new elements. Though I didn't like having only a shotgun at the start and having to hit guys behind crates far away. That was...not cool.

btw, the hardest part of the game for me, even on normal, which makes me a bit hesitant to play hard, is the
power generator room. The respawning enemies that kill you in 2 hits while you have to run through narrow corridors and they pop out 3 at a time was frustrating. I died a bunch of times there.

zoku88

I just got this game yesterday and played till 3 am! I died a lot more than I thought I would (maybe it's cuz I was acting crazy. I sucked more than I did in the demo, haha)

Ceb

number1jagsfan said:
For fuck sake VG+, why am I not playing this game yet? I have my DS3 ready and waiting.

Anyone from Europe recieved a copy from VG+ yet?

They shipped it on monday, I received it today. They're always this fast for me, seems some other people aren't as lucky.

skybastos

number1jagsfan said:
For fuck sake VG+, why am I not playing this game yet? I have my DS3 ready and waiting.

Anyone from Europe recieved a copy from VG+ yet?
Mine shipped on friday and as yet to arrive :|

Raziel

Bebpo said:
Last section as in:
Tanker? Or level before that?

Because I think the level before that was really fresh in variety with the war going on between the 2 groups and you could decide how you wanted to get through that.

The tanker level was a short boss level, so I didn't expect it to introduce new elements. Though I didn't like having only a shotgun at the start and having to hit guys behind crates far away. That was...not cool.

btw, the hardest part of the game for me, even on normal, which makes me a bit hesitant to play hard, is the
power generator room. The respawning enemies that kill you in 2 hits while you have to run through narrow corridors and they pop out 3 at a time was frustrating. I died a bunch of times there.
Are you sticking around to kill the first wave of enemies? That can make it a little tougher. My strategy was: hit the main switch, don't even bother with the first wave of enemies and run straight to the first corridor, run and gun the one enemy that's waiting there, hit the next switch, and then when you go back stay in the corridor and bottleneck the enemies through there. Run to the second corridor, run and gun the one enemy, hit the next switch, run straight for the exit.

Narcosis

Bebpo said:

That part was hard but I thought what was even harder was
when Drake and Sullivan are trying to get into the cathedral at the end. The courtyard area was pretty damn tough since the enemies had a full circle around you they could approach from and the snipers were in full effect if your head went up for more than 2 seconds. The inside of the church was pretty tough too.

Kosma

Banned
Ceb said:
They shipped it on monday, I received it today. They're always this fast for me, seems some other people aren't as lucky.

Wtf this isn't fair. Mine was shipped last friday and still isn't here.

Mesijs

I'm playing on Crushing. Anybody got any hints for (around 60 % or so) the firefight
before you enter the library. It's this open space with laser-sighted enemies, shotty guys and grenadiers moving in. I get the Dragunov first, pop as many enemies as possible and can tackle the first wave. Then the 2 grenade guys and other enmies come in and I die. I tried to go to the right, on the stairs to the library, because it's difficult to be outflanked there, but also died. Anybody played this on crushing and got any hints? Thanks.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

Yeah they pretty much try their darndest to take out the destructable cover with the launcher and those damn grenade, I love how Drake goes ohohohohoh when someone tosses a grenade at his position.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mesijs said:
I'm playing on Crushing. Anybody got any hints for (around 60 % or so) the firefight
before you enter the library. It's this open space with laser-sighted enemies, shotty guys and grenadiers moving in. I get the Dragunov first, pop as many enemies as possible and can tackle the first wave. Then the 2 grenade guys and other enmies come in and I die. I tried to go to the right, on the stairs to the library, because it's difficult to be outflanked there, but also died. Anybody played this on crushing and got any hints? Thanks.

I take out the two laser sighted guys first with my sniper rifle, take out the guy on coming on the right, and then use the height advantage to take out as many of them as I can before the shotgun guy hits, I take him out as quickly as possible, then move to the southern corner of the map, and stand near the wall but not in cover mode and wait a bit for them to move in so I can take them out. That's a really hard level for me because you're constantly under fire. The second round is more about just being careful, the first round is more executing your plan quickly.

Just a point to bring up. Eddy Raja speaks Indonesian, although the Malaysian Malay language is very close. Got a chuckle every time he opens his mouth and speaks such "broken" Malay/Indonesian. Misspelled "Tai" too.

Kittonwy

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
Do you ever have to blow anything up (crates/jugs) in order to find treasures?

No that would make it kind of frustrating, something that you wouldn't find in Uncharted, it's all about playability and accessibility when it comes to this game. SMOOTH BABY SMOOTH.
Indifferent2.gif

Mesijs

Kittonwy said:
I take out the two laser sighted guys first with my sniper rifle, take out the guy on coming on the right, and then use the height advantage to take out as many of them as I can before the shotgun guy hits, I take him out as quickly as possible, then move to the southern corner of the map, and stand near the wall but not in cover mode and wait a bit for them to move in so I can take them out. That's a really hard level for me because you're constantly under fire. The second round is more about just being careful, the first round is more executing your plan quickly.

How do you tackle the 2 grenade dudes then? And what height advantage, you mean on the stairs on the right? And you're just out of cover killing the last ones (at what point in the firefight actually?)? Thanks for the help. Hardest fight until now I thinking. The one in the water with the pillars was also very tough.

Core407

Banned
Kittonwy said:
No that would make it kind of frustrating, something that you wouldn't find in Uncharted, it's all about playability and accessibility when it comes to this game. SMOOTH BABY SMOOTH.
Indifferent2.gif

I just hit chapter 10 and while the accessibility is nice, I wish there was some more depth to the game. Probably the best thing in the game for me is the level designs. It seems there are multiple approaches you can take to a lot of gunfights. Basically ways to use the platforming to reach an area that will allow you to surprise them and out the enemies. Still, I don't find myself truly amazed when playing the game. Yes, it's very good and very enjoyable but I'm not having any real "oh shit" moments.

The graphics in this game are JAWDROPPING. I'm early into the game, but I've been astounded by the detail and the lighting. The most striking scene I've encountered thus far in the games early stages...

...leaving the tunnels and discovering the U-Boat. My eyes really adjusted to the combination of the dark caves and realistic flashlight (BTW, the flashlight assists in making the darkness very realistic, if that even makes sense. The way it reflected off the wet rocks...wow), so imagine my awestruck reaction as the stone wall opened and the light outside gradually shown through to announce the awaiting verdant jungle. Shangri-La encapsulated in a 1.2mm thick Blu-Ray disc: marvelous. The next visual treat made me grin from to ear to ear and bless Naughty Dog for moving away from the boring sci-fi settings. When I saw the rusty U-Boat grounded near the waterfall's edge, a completely unexpected and ORIGINAL scenario given the jungle paradise setting, I felt like Indy on another one of his archaeological treasure hunts. The previous section where I had to hurry and jump across flimsy wooden platforms as they collapsed around me SCREAMED "Your in an Indiana Jones film!" It certainly feels like one! The way Drake handles himself when he leaps from one precarious ledge to the next, or the intuitive cover system, gives you a sense of trust in the character. You know what he can or can't do, and he controls intuitively. It's one of the few things I demand in my games, and I feel ND nailed it.

Expect the unexpected. That's how I've felt so far playing this game. I just reunited with the girl , so I'm only an hour into it. I hope ND keeps it up!

Kittonwy

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
The graphics in this game are JAWDROPPING. I'm early into the game, but I've been astounded by the detail and the lighting. The most striking scene I've encountered thus far in the games early stages...

...leaving the tunnels and discovering the U-Boat. My eyes really adjusted to the combination of the dark caves and realistic flashlight (BTW, the flashlight assists in making the darkness very realistic, if that even makes sense. The way it reflected off the wet rocks...wow), so imagine my awestruck reaction as the stone wall opened and the light outside gradually shown through to announce the awaiting verdant jungle. Shangri-La encapsulated in a 1.2mm thick Blu-Ray disc: marvelous. The next visual treat made me grin from to ear to ear and bless Naughty Dog for moving away from the boring sci-fi settings. When I saw the rusty U-Boat grounded near the waterfall's edge, a completely unexpected and ORIGINAL scenario given the jungle paradise setting, I felt like Indy on another one of his archaeological treasure hunts. The previous section where I had to hurry and jump across flimsy wooden platforms as they collapsed around me SCREAMED "Your in an Indiana Jones film!" It certainly feels like one! The way Drake handles himself when he leaps from one precarious ledge to the next, or the intuitive cover system, gives you a sense of trust in the character. You know what he can or can't do, and he controls intuitively. It's one of the few things I demand in my games, and I feel ND nailed it.

Expect the unexpected. That's how I've felt so far playing this game. I just reunited with the girl , so I'm only an hour into it. I hope ND keeps it up!

It's by far the most immersive experience this year, the game never takes the player out of the experience, it's just so finely tuned, devoid of all the little clunkiness and annoyances that most games have.
Indifferent2.gif

chespace

Core407 said:
I just hit chapter 10 and while the accessibility is nice, I wish there was some more depth to the game. Probably the best thing in the game for me is the level designs. It seems there are multiple approaches you can take to a lot of gunfights. Basically ways to use the platforming to reach an area that will allow you to surprise them and out the enemies. Still, I don't find myself truly amazed when playing the game. Yes, it's very good and very enjoyable but I'm not having any real "oh shit" moments.

Yup, started it this morning and am currently looking for Elena in the castle and getting into a firefight every 3 steps. For me, all the "oh shit" moments have come during the cutscenes. Excellent script and good character animations (although I'm still not that into the cartoony character designs vs. something more gritty like Assassin's Creed -- everyone looks kinda plastic or something). The combat is solid, but I don't find the shooting/cover mechanics all that great... especially the latter. The inability to slide around corners while you're in cover is annoying, since enemies are always flanking and you just want to move to the adjacent corner. That said, the weapon selection is starting to get more interesting. Nothing like walking through a doorway and spraying an unsuspecting pirate with a micro-uzi all up and down his body.

The AI is good if you let them be or if the level bottlenecks you or screws you with flanking spawns with no cover. Hard difficulty is pretty fun actually, although I could see it becoming a little frustrating in Crushing. One basic way of dealing with AI is to trigger them, then run back and let them eventually come to you. And if they don't come to you, at least you can pick them off at your leisure.

Definitely polished and triple A across the presentation board. Again, I love Drake and his sense of humor... heck, I love all the characters so far, even the Indiana Jones-esque villains. Finding that U-Boat in the jungle was both very Indiana Jones-ish and very Lost as well. :lol Again, this is definitely one of those games where hitting an in-game cutscene is a huge reward as I absolutely love watching the story unfold.

Gonna take a break and go back to Assassin's Creed (about to do the 6th assassination), but I'll probably finish Uncharted by tomorrow evening. The game doesn't seem very long at all cuz I feel like I'm blowing through it fairly quickly and I just started this morning.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
chespace said:
Yup, started it this morning and am currently looking for Elena in the castle and getting into a firefight every 3 steps. For me, all the "oh shit" moments have come during the cutscenes. Excellent script and good character animations (although I'm still not that into the cartoony character designs vs. something more gritty like Assassin's Creed -- everyone looks kinda plastic or something). The combat is solid, but I don't find the shooting/cover mechanics all that great... especially the latter. The inability to slide around corners while you're in cover is annoying, since enemies are always flanking and you just want to move to the adjacent corner. That said, the weapon selection is starting to get more interesting. Nothing like walking through a doorway and spraying an unsuspecting pirate with a micro-uzi all up and down his body.

The AI is good if you let them be or if the level bottlenecks you or screws you with flanking spawns with no cover. Hard difficulty is pretty fun actually, although I could see it becoming a little frustrating in Crushing. One basic way of dealing with AI is to trigger them, then run back and let them eventually come to you. And if they don't come to you, at least you can pick them off at your leisure.

Definitely polished and triple A across the presentation board. Again, I love Drake and his sense of humor... heck, I love all the characters so far, even the Indiana Jones-esque villains. Finding that U-Boat in the jungle was both very Indiana Jones-ish and very Lost as well. :lol Again, this is definitely one of those games where hitting an in-game cutscene is a huge reward as I absolutely love watching the story unfold.

Gonna take a break and go back to Assassin's Creed (about to do the 6th assassination), but I'll probably finish Uncharted by tomorrow evening. The game doesn't seem very long at all cuz I feel like I'm blowing through it fairly quickly and I just started this morning.

Left analog stick + X

:)

Top Bottom