• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Evlar

Banned
WasabiKing said:
:lol we've got some weaksauce gamers in this thread
Weaksauce? I'm just telling you tapping R1 doesn't guarantee kills on Normal during the second jetski section. I got through it fine the old fashioned way: aiming.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Sphinx said:
Weaksauce? I'm just telling you tapping R1 doesn't guarantee kills on Normal during the second jetski section. I got through it fine the old fashioned way: aiming.

Of course it's not entirely accurate, but much like
game-play twist: the run and gun sections in the later part of the game
it is much more effective to blast R1 without stopping than aiming to shooting and being exposed from various different angles. It works enough for you to get through the second jet-ski section. The barrels are guaranteed to be hit, though. At least from my experience they were.

Once I figured that out, I got through the second jet-ski section in one try.

Ok, so it's a great game so far; controls feel spot on (better than in the demo, for some reason), music and sound design is incredible as are the visuals (people rave about the textures, but it's the lighting that has impressed me the most so far), although it's a real shame about the sometimes chuggy framerate. Not unplayable by any stretch, but it's definitely a flaw. Maybe that and the tearing stands out more because the game otherwise looks as good as it does. The presentation is in a league of its own, not least thanks to the incredible quality of the cutscenes. The voice acting, animation and writing here is the new high water mark.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AltogetherAndrews said:
Ok, so it's a great game so far; controls feel spot on (better than in the demo, for some reason), music and sound design is incredible as are the visuals (people rave about the textures, but it's the lighting that has impressed me the most so far), although it's a real shame about the sometimes chuggy framerate. Not unplayable by any stretch, but it's definitely a flaw. Maybe that and the tearing stands out more because the game otherwise looks as good as it does. The presentation is in a league of its own, not least thanks to the incredible quality of the cutscenes. The voice acting, animation and writing here is the new high water mark.

I was pretty shocked to be hit with a handful of texture loading issues a la Gears and Mass Effect. Anyone else notice this?

And yeah, there's tearing, but I haven't noticed any real big framerate drops.

chespace said:
I was pretty shocked to be hit with a handful of texture loading issues a la Gears and Mass Effect. Anyone else notice this?

I actually expected it to happen in one area after seeing screens from that particular area, but it never happened. It wouldn't bother me that much if it happened though given that the whole thing is being streamed, assuming it's a reasonable amount.

One thing I don't get is why some critics complained about the puzzles. They aren't exactly Metroid complexity, but so far everything has fit very nicely into the type of puzzles your common action adventurer would encounter and solve.

Brashnir

chespace said:

I've had texture loading issues once or twice. The worst was
in the Library where you have to rotate the Matthew/Mark/Luke/John statues. I was on statue #3 and was wondering why all the statues looked so terrible, then POP, the textures finally loaded and they looked awesome.
Same with big framerate drops (like sub 20fps.) Small framerate drops are unfortunately very common, but forgivable.

chespace said:

There's a tiny 1/2-second bit of texture pop-up from time to time when entering a new level. Not every level does this though. It's usually only when you are coming back from a cut scene too. A very small price to pay for zero "loading" screens though once you are in the game, if you ask me.

I haven't noticed any "sub 20 FPS" frame rate drops like Brashnir is claiming as "common" though, (maybe his PS3 is broken,) and I'm on my third full playthrough now, this time on "Crushing" difficulty.

Bebpo

Banned
chespace said:

Texture streaming ftl. But then again I like having good textures over repetitive ones or bad ones, so I guess I'll live with it in all these new games.

As much as the tearing can shit all over a nice image, it's kind of forgivable in this case. Feels like there is a somewhat reasonable trade-off going on there, like you're getting something in return for these shortcomings. Still wish they weren't there, but what are you gonna do.

Bebpo said:
Texture streaming ftl. But then again I like having good textures over repetitive ones or bad ones, so I guess I'll live with it in all these new games.

If it's between having loading or having the odd occurrence of texture pop-in, I'll take the latter any day of the week.

Brashnir

AltogetherAndrews said:
As much as the tearing can shit all over a nice image, it's kind of forgivable in this case. Feels like there is a somewhat reasonable trade-off going on there, like you're getting something in return for these shortcomings. Still wish they weren't there, but what are you gonna do.

Nothing you can do if you want to play the game. Suck it up or play something else. I bitch about tearing and framerates as much as anyone around here but two of my favorite games this gen so far are EDF and Saint's Row - basically the poster children for bad framerates. If the game is fun enough, it's easy to forgive the technical issues.

The framerate and tearing occurrences seems to come early in the game... the later areas seem so smooth by comparison, anybody notice that?

And I agree that this raises the bar, presentation-wise. It's pretty much good fantasy/adventure movie quality. On my second run through the game I watched every cutscene in its entirety again, and I never do that... not so soon after beating a game the first time, anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
If it's between having loading or having the odd occurrence of texture pop-in, I'll take the latter any day of the week.

Uncharted had it a lot though. Worse than Gears or ME. It wasn't even just when loading levels or after cutscenes. Sometimes I'd run to a new area and the door wouldn't have textures and I'd sit and wait for them to appear. Other times were even weirder. Like in the puzzle room with the floor N/E/S/O, I'd look at that floor texture and it would not be loaded up yet..then after a second it would pop and appear all sharp and detailed.

I don't think it brings down the game, but I wonder if the blu-ray read speed is just too slow for texture streaming.

Bebpo said:
Uncharted had it a lot though. Worse than Gears or ME. It wasn't even just when loading levels or after cutscenes. Sometimes I'd run to a new area and the door wouldn't have textures and I'd sit and wait for them to appear. Other times were even weirder. Like in the puzzle room with the floor N/E/S/O, I'd look at that floor texture and it would not be loaded up yet..then after a second it would pop and appear all sharp and detailed.

I don't think it brings down the game, but I wonder if the blu-ray read speed is just too slow for texture streaming.

As said, I haven't seen it happen yet. And I've actually looked for it, thanks to the son of a bitch that posted the snap crackle pop image. Not saying it doesn't exist because clearly it does, but it seems odd that it'd be as pronounced as you claim it is. And I doubt BRD speed has much to do with it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Bebpo said:

Just reading that first part just shows me I should not even read the rest. I have Mass Effect and the texture pop-in is worst than uncharted. Sometimes the texture pop-ins in the middle of a conversation, especially on the clothes.

AltogetherAndrews said:
As said, I haven't seen it happen yet. And I've actually looked for it, thanks to the son of a bitch that posted the snap crackle pop image. Not saying it doesn't exist because clearly it does, but it seems odd that it'd be as pronounced as you claim it is. And I doubt BRD speed has much to do with it.

He's got to be kidding if he said uncharted's pop-in is worst than ME. I am loving ME right now, but texture pop-in is worst in ME.

Brashnir

revolverjgw said:
The framerate and tearing occurrences seems to come early in the game... the later areas seem so smooth by comparison, anybody notice that?

I've still yet to finish the game since I couldn't play it today, but it hasn't seemed to get any better as I've gone through the game. Indoor areas with less to render have been smoother for obvious reasons, but later outdoor areas have been the same as earlier ones for me. If the game remains mostly indoors toward the end, that may be why you remember it this way.

Just got all 60 treasures! I have no idea how I missed some of these on my first play through. Anyways, here I sit at 760 points! I am going to finish up my medals (stealth kills, hangman grenade, Dyno-mite, and Expert Dyno-mite) and then I am off to Crushing!

Anyone know where I good place to get Dyno-mite is? Also, I can't seem to find anywhere to get some good grenade throws while hanging. Its not as acurate or something.

One more thing, 22+ hours playing this game and it still has me coming back for more!

cjtiger300 said:
Just got all 60 treasures! I have no idea how I missed some of these on my first play through. Anyways, here I sit at 760 points! I am going to finish up my medals

Post a picture of Doughnut Drake when you unlock it!

Brashnir said:
I've still yet to finish the game since I couldn't play it today, but it hasn't seemed to get any better as I've gone through the game. Indoor areas with less to render have been smoother for obvious reasons, but later outdoor areas have been the same as earlier ones for me. If the game remains mostly indoors toward the end, that may be why you remember it this way.

Indeed, yeah. The only hiccups seem to come during the jungle scenes, the majority of the latter chapters take place in interiors. They're basically silky smooth. No visual quirk in this game bothered me though.

I only really notice the texture pop in when I skip a cut scene. So basically didn't notice it all my first time through the game, but I did notice it once I started concentrating on all of the treasures I missed. To me it is a non issue.

Also, the Blu Ray speed wouldn't effect it, as all of the textures are streamed real time with the SPU's. ND streaming is really really sick. They are truly one of the most innovative developers with that technology!

kassatsu

Banned
Has anyone had the game not load the main menu? Mine just has the spinning coin when I boot the game.

Edit: ejected the disc and put it back in and it loaded. This happened to me before, wonder if it is the disc.

Brashnir

kassatsu said:
Has anyone had the game not load the main menu? Mine just has the spinning coin when I boot the game.

is it your first time running the game? The coin will spin for a long time the first time you play. I assume it's installing stuff to the hard drive.

kassatsu

Banned
Brashnir said:
is it your first time running the game? The coin will spin for a long time the first time you play. I assume it's installing stuff to the hard drive.
Nope 2nd time playing, wanted to beat COD4 before I played more.

Gribbix

kassatsu said:

I just put the game in for the first time. It took a pretty long time for the initial load. Worse though is that the drive is making an awful noise. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner being turned on and off in quick succession. I just turned it off and I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Kittonwy

Banned
Costanza said:
56% in, this is on track to be a contender for my GOTY right now. Love it.

Yep, it's GOTY for me this year, it makes most shooters unplayable for me.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

I'm at Chapter 13...the game is incredible. And it lies about how much time you've spent playing. It completely underestimates, perhaps taking out the time of cutscenes, and the replay after dying...because it's said I've been playing for 6hours....and I've definitely been playing for 8hours. And I'm not going slow, and I don't suck :) (playing on normal). I'm just not rushing :)

Awntawn

Bebpo said:

Mass Effect is shaping up to be my favorite game so far this gaming generation, but honestly the framerate, tearing, stutter, and pop-in are probably among the worst of offenders of any console game I have ever seen lol. If Uncharted's are considered worse to you, there's something seriously wrong with either your PS3 or your eyes 3;

JB1981

chespace said:

Tearing and framerate improve drastically as the game goes on. For some reason it's just really bad in the early stages.

I didn't find the texture pop-in to be all that severe, really. I remember times when I played Gears where the textures would take a good 30 seconds to load.

edit: with gears that was in co-op, though. so it's kind of more understandable

Con

Banned
No Uncharted for me either. VGP shipped the game last friday, so I'm concerned something strange is going on. Seems like no one who ordered Uncharted from VGP and had it shipped on friday has got it yet...

Tailzo

I got this game yesterday, played until almost midnight (I usually go to bed early, I have to get up early) and I had a great time. I'm already at chapter 9. Wow, this game is fun! I got my copy from VG+.

Top Bottom