• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
The 9 scores will help!
They help it stay where it is...it's very hard for a 9 to take it into a safe 9 average though.

The average is at 89%...and that's not including gamer.nl's 10/10

So the average then would be 89.7%....round up to 90% :)

Oneself

The last time I felt the need to take some pics of a game was when I first played Gears of War.

86j9z5e.jpg

81rl191.jpg

8fxm32h.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
chespace said:
I was pretty shocked to be hit with a handful of texture loading issues a la Gears and Mass Effect. Anyone else notice this?
It happened exactly two times in the two hours I played it. On that area where Drake and Sully arrive at the forest, and on the area after the parachute jump, where I just arrived. Both times it cleared up in ~2-3 seconds. After it clears up it never happens again from what I've seen.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The presentation is in a league of its own, not least thanks to the incredible quality of the cutscenes. The voice acting, animation and writing here is the new high water mark.
I'm actually even more impressed by the dialogue exchanges during the gameplay itself, as well as visual cues Drake and NPCs are giving you during those. They really fit those in perfectly.

tanod

when is my burrito
Bebpo said:
Texture streaming ftl. But then again I like having good textures over repetitive ones or bad ones, so I guess I'll live with it in all these new games.

Since it's only happened to me twice and in the exact same spot at the beginning of the 4th chapter, I'd say that's a small price to pay for zero loading in the entire game. That's right - zip, zero, nada - whole game.

Ceb

Btw, the parts in the ruined city strangely remind me of Vagrant Story. Perhaps it's the meticulous detail that also went into that game. Imagine Lea Monde done in the Uncharted engine. :D

Oneself

tanod said:
Since it's only happened to me twice and in the exact same spot at the beginning of the 4th chapter, I'd say that's a small price to pay for zero loading in the entire game. That's right - zip, zero, nada - whole game.

I saw that 3 times; at the first playable area, off the parachute and at the very beginning of
"Navarro's boat"
. Not a big price to pay really..

tanod

when is my burrito
Brashnir said:
is it your first time running the game? The coin will spin for a long time the first time you play. I assume it's installing stuff to the hard drive.

Believe it or not, there is no permanent HD install for this game. It's entirely streamed on the fly.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I assure you, if you look hard enough, you'll see the texture pop-in a lot more than 2 or 3 times. Especially if you die in an area that's about five or more minutes away from the last checkpoint.

Still, it is a small price to play.

deepbrown

Chiggs said:
I assure you, if you look hard enough, you'll see the texture pop-in a lot more than 2 or 3 times. Especially if you die in an area that's about five or more minutes away from the last checkpoint.

Still, it is a small price to play.
The only thing i really got texture pop-in was looking at my treasures :p

Chiggs

Gold Member
deepbrown said:
The only thing i really got texture pop-in was looking at my treasures :p

:lol Yeah, now that you mention it, I remembered thinking how awful the treasures looked, and then suddenly the textures popped in.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tanod said:
Believe it or not, there is no permanent HD install for this game. It's entirely streamed on the fly.
I think it's doing some HDD caching while the game is running. Someone from ND said so at least, even brought HDD as a big point in their loading system. I'm not sure how it works though, and what happens with that data on HDD when you quit the game.

Treasures didn't have any texture pop-in for me yet btw - but I only have five treasures so far. When I switch between them, there's a short loading animation, and then the treasure appears, but there's no additional texture loading on them.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
I think it's doing some HDD caching while the game is running. Someone from ND said so at least, even brought HDD as a big point in their loading system. I'm not sure how it works though, and what happens with that data on HDD when you quit the game.

Treasures didn't have any texture pop-in for me yet btw - but I only have five treasures so far. When I switch between them, there's a short loading animation, and then the treasure appears, but there's no additional texture loading on them.
I sometimes take them by surprise and I see the llama naked. it doesn't happen often...but at one point it was stuck for about 20seconds without textures.

Oh and the whole game streams through the HDD...I wonder how much they use...because they don't ask for more than 2.5MB of space. Hmmm

Oh and I wrote this in a preview a while ago "The d-pad is used to reload your gun, equipping grenades, as well as switching between to single or double-handed play." So what happened?

ps. thank god for no loading after dying...it's insanely quick...because I was dying a lot in some recent places. But I didn't get frustrated, because it was "pop, try again"

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
deepbrown said:
I sometimes take them by surprise and I see the llama naked. it doesn't happen often...but at one point it was stuck for about 20seconds without textures.

Oh and the whole game streams through the HDD...I wonder how much they use...because they don't ask for more than 2.5MB of space. Hmmm

Oh and I wrote this in a preview a while ago "The d-pad is used to reload your gun, equipping grenades, as well as switching between to single or double-handed play." So what happened?

ps. thank god for no loading after dying...it's insanely quick...because I was dying a lot in some recent places. But I didn't get frustrated, because it was "pop, try again"

Wait.........what?

deepbrown

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Wait.........what?
Yeah where did I get that from. I'm struggling to find my sources...I'm hoping it was just misinformation, rather than something they took out. (I wrote it after Sony Gamer's Day)

Anyone find that Uncharted has the best pacing in a game ever? Plus the change in colour scheme when something bad happens etc...is just magical.

Core407

Banned
I brought the game over to a friend who has a CRT but the game was only running in 480i as he didn't have any component cables. Looked incredibly better than my LCD monitor. The black levels were incredible and really made the game stand out. I need to buy a CRT HDTV now.

deepbrown

Core407 said:
I brought the game over to a friend who has a CRT but the game was only running in 480i as he didn't have any component cables. Looked incredibly better than my LCD monitor. The black levels were incredible and really made the game stand out. I need to buy a CRT HDTV now.
Or callibrate your lcd :p

YYZ

I can't believe so many people are having trouble with the compass puzzle where you have to turn the 4 statues. Not in this thread, but unsual amount of people can't figure it out.

deepbrown

YYZ said:
I can't believe so many people are having trouble with the compass puzzle where you have to turn the 4 statues. Not in this thread, but unsual amount of people can't figure it out.
Well it would be tough without Drake's book

Holy shit, the combat is really fucking good in this game. In the demo at first I honestly thought it was kind of, you know, crap. But once you get in the groove of things, it's really damned good. And the reaction of enemies makes it all the more satisfying.

Chiggs

Gold Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
And the reaction of enemies makes it all the more satisfying.

The EGM review compared the enemy reactions to MC Hammer moves. I can't say I've seen anything of the sort.

deepbrown

Haha Elena rocks. There's points where she runs ahead and I shout at the screen "Elena what are you doing, you're going to die!" and I'm like "shit, I'm being a pussy" and reluctantly run after her stumbling into cover as she downs someone with her gun.

Core407

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
What's that even supposed to mean? They look perfectly exaggerated to me.

There are some weird reactions that enemies give to being shot at. Barely missing a guy's head with a sniper rifle always results in him rolling his head like an angry black woman.

Core407

Banned
deepbrown said:
Or callibrate your lcd :p

I wish it was that easy. I've got a 226BW monitor but the panel was made by AOpen instead of Samsung (A vs S panel, go!) so I've got some noticeable backlight bleeding. The monitor has a nick on it too in the upper right corner but nothing extreme. Was thinking of buying a new 226bw from the store and returning the old one.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Core407 said:
There are some weird reactions that enemies give to being shot at. Barely missing a guy's head with a sniper rifle always results in him rolling his head like an angry black woman.

:lol

I haven't noticed that, but now I'm going to look.

Core407

Banned
Chiggs said:
:lol

I haven't noticed that, but now I'm going to look.

Check out the snipers with the red laser sights. There are a couple encounters where they are standing in front of an opening in some window, trying to kill you. Shoot at their head and just miss and then you'll see them do a nice little neck roll.

Ceb

So you only need to beat the final stage via chapter select in order to unlock the different difficulty level medals? Well, it worked with easy and normal at least... gonna try the others soon. :p

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
chespace said:
Bah, found the stupid crank in the generator room. :p

You are flying through this game, aren't you?

It's addictive, ain't it :)?

deepbrown

Core407 said:
I wish it was that easy. I've got a 226BW monitor but the panel was made by AOpen instead of Samsung (A vs S panel, go!) so I've got some noticeable backlight bleeding. The monitor has a nick on it too in the upper right corner but nothing extreme. Was thinking of buying a new 226bw from the store and returning the old one.
I have a C panel (32 r87) but it doesnt really make a difference with this model.

I bought this game online to save about $10. It should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Just enough time to finish R&C Future.

I love that this game is getting positive impressions in here.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
reilo said:
You are flying through this game, aren't you?

It's addictive, ain't it :)?

Yup, it's very well-paced. I don't see why folks get all up in arms when Gears of War comparisons are drawn, as Gears was a great game, and Uncharted has better AI. The combat is very gears-like, and it's basically the meat of the game. Very surprised at how little exploration/puzzle-solving there was to do (a la Tomb Raider). They basically funneled you from one gorgeous firefight set piece to the next with some shimmying and story bits in-between.

Currently on Showdown, which I have a feeling will be the last chapter.

Green Shinobi said:
I bought this game online to save about $10. It should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Just enough time to finish R&C Future.

I love that this game is getting positive impressions in here.

It's kind of like having a chat about a good action or adventure movie. It's not a critical darling, but people who actually play it seem to have a damn good time. It's been said before, by me even, but the production values and yeah, the pacing too, it's all spot on. It's not a revolution in game design, but it's damn good game design.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Okay. Just finished it. Great ending cinematic (although the final fight sequence was... yeah), and some of the best game dialogue I've seen yet. Very much a tribute to the Hollywood action adventure genre.

Congrats, folks at Naughty Dog!

Kosma

Banned
I'm really fucking disappointed, one week later and my game still isn't in.

Seems like I'm not the only one, I wonder what's wrong.

justjohn

oo Kosma oo said:
I'm really fucking disappointed, one week later and my game still isn't in.

Seems like I'm not the only one, I wonder what's wrong.
last time i'm using vg plus. i thought they were supposed to be this fast reliable service, but they're just as shitty as the rest.

Ceb

justjohn said:
last time i'm using vg plus. i thought they were supposed to be this fast reliable service, but they're just as shitty as the rest.

What country are you in? People in the UK and France seem to have regular problems with them. For me, their games pretty much always take three days to arrive.

Top Bottom