• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

Guess what I noticed on the box! A quote from GAMEPRO! Those dirty fuckers get free advertising from Naughty Dog and Sony...but in their actual review they give it to a bloody rooky and can't even be bothered to give the game more than half a page of writing (and then give it 8) I think we should bury those guys, they are the biggest joke on the internet.

Con

Banned
I got this response from VGP:

"Hello Daniel,

A lot of people have been emailing regarding this but we have done nothing different than we usually do. It could be adelay with customs clearing parcels. Hopefully it shows up next week.

Thanks,

Sidney
Customer Service Representative"

Awntawn

chespace said:
Yup, it's very well-paced. I don't see why folks get all up in arms when Gears of War comparisons are drawn, as Gears was a great game, and Uncharted has better AI. The combat is very gears-like, and it's basically the meat of the game. Very surprised at how little exploration/puzzle-solving there was to do (a la Tomb Raider). They basically funneled you from one gorgeous firefight set piece to the next with some shimmying and story bits in-between.

Currently on Showdown, which I have a feeling will be the last chapter.
Gears was my favorite game of this gen up to this month, and quite possibly the reason why I wanted this game in the first place due to the similar gunplay style. But what is upsetting people is when it's called a clone that is inferior the original, which is quite inaccurate. ND has made a lot of tweaks and improvements to the existing formula so that still feels distinct and fresh ;o

Greg

SIP YEK NOD said:
i am 3 hours 3 minutes in, and it says i am 47% done. is this seriously another 6 hour game?
I'm pretty sure it bases the percentages on what chapter you are on, so the length of the chapters themselves aren't taken into account - the later chapters are longer than most of the ones you should be on now.

That being said, it took me a bit shy of 8 hours on the first time through.

deepbrown

Greg said:
I'm pretty sure it bases the percentages on what chapter you are on, so the length of the chapters themselves aren't taken into account - the later chapters are longer than most of the ones you should be on now.

That being said, it took me a bit shy of 8 hours on the first time through.
Plus it also completely underestimates the play through time on the save file. It says I'm around 9 hours...but my real total play through is closer to 13-14hours.

As in most beautiful games, I spent most of the downtime in this game walking at a slow speed admiring things and taking it all in, so it took me well over 10 hours, factoring in that and all the dying I did.

Kosma

Banned
Ceb said:
What country are you in? People in the UK and France seem to have regular problems with them. For me, their games pretty much always take three days to arrive.

Netherlands here, Ratchet got here within 3 days from VGP, but this is taking over a week now.

Con said:
I got this response from VGP:

"Hello Daniel,

A lot of people have been emailing regarding this but we have done nothing different than we usually do. It could be adelay with customs clearing parcels. Hopefully it shows up next week.

Thanks,

Sidney
Customer Service Representative"

Ok, nice to know they actually shipped it already. Wanted to email them too.

J-Rzez

Core407 said:
I brought the game over to a friend who has a CRT but the game was only running in 480i as he didn't have any component cables. Looked incredibly better than my LCD monitor. The black levels were incredible and really made the game stand out. I need to buy a CRT HDTV now.

Yep, that's why I still use my trusty Super-Fine Pitch Tube equipped Sony CRT HDTV. There's only 1 LCD TV on the market now that does a really impressive job on the black levels, and that's the Series 81 Samsungs, LCD Backlighting, with a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.

YYZ

some guy just asked for my number after he couldn't figure out the compass puzzle after I explained it to him in stupid detail. Why do I bother?

Erebus

Made up to the point where they
grab Elene
. These fcking
monsters
are a pain in the ass!

Perhaps it has already been mentioned but I noticed some texture pop in at some areas, like PS3 is loading them at that very moment. It happens with the treasure items too, the details take a while to appear in some occasions. That's normal right? I mean there's nothing wrong with my PS3, is there?

BeeDog

DarkUSS said:
grab Elene
. These fcking
monsters
are a pain in the ass!

Perhaps it has already been mentioned but I noticed some texture pop in at some areas, like PS3 is loading them at that very moment. It happens with the treasure items too, the details of them take a while to appear in some occasions. That's normal right? I mean there's nothing wrong with my PS3, is there?

No, it's the texture streaming. That's the price for practically no loading in the game apparently. :)

Core407

Banned
DarkUSS said:
Meaning that it has happened to everyone actually?

It happens once in a while, but I can overlook it for the fact that the game looks so great.

I'm up to the final chapter. :D I couldn't figure out what this game reminded me of until a couple days ago. It feels like Headhunter to me almost.

Erebus

Core407 said:
It happens once in a while, but I can overlook it for the fact that the game looks so great.

I'm up to the final chapter. :D I couldn't figure out what this game reminded me of until a couple days ago. It feels like Headhunter to me almost.

It doesn't bother me either, I just thought maybe there's something wrong with my PS3's drive hence the delay in texture loading. I'm glad that this isn't the case though.:D

Kittonwy

Banned
Core407 said:

Yeah, instead of having shit textures at 60fps or totally weak framerate or weakass character models, Uncharted struck a pretty nice balance having an overall solid framerate with some minor tearing and texture pop-ins, but really nailing that HDR lighting and texture variety in awesome environments while having great character models, it's not perfect but gameplay-wise I find it much more playable than a number of shooters/shooter-RPG I've played so far. Great controls and AI (enemy AND friendly) that I simply haven't seen anywhere else.
Indifferent2.gif

Core407

Banned
DarkUSS said:
It doesn't bother me either, I just thought maybe there's something wrong with my PS3's drive hence the delay in texture loading. I'm glad that this isn't the case though.:D

You know there are hard drives with on board flash memory for quicker loading? I emailed Sony asking if the PS3 would take advantage of on board flash memory for storage but I never got a reply. Still haven't picked up one of those drives yet so I can't test it.

Kittonwy said:
Yeah, instead of having shit textures at 60fps or totally weak framerate or weakass character models, Uncharted struck a pretty nice balance having an overall solid framerate with some minor tearing and texture pop-ins, but really nailing that HDR lighting and texture variety in awesome environments while having great character models, it's not perfect but gameplay-wise I find it much more playable than a number of shooters/shooter-RPG I've played so far. Great controls and AI (enemy AND friendly) that I simply haven't seen anywhere else.

Yes, it was all sorts of awesome from the start to finish. The gun play is really well done and probably the biggest strength of the game. Platforming is way too basic and should be expanded on in the sequel. Also, add some puzzles with some actual depth to them. Apart from that, can't think of anything to complain about. Definitely the system's GOTY and probably runner up to SMG for GOTY overall.

jet1911

Short but intense game. The story was and the score were both very "movie like". I still nedd to find a lot of treasures, I'll start a new game on Crsuhed this week-end. :D

So does using costumes mess up getting the reward for clearing the game? I think someone earlier in this thread said it didn't give him the reward after using the pirate costume.

The platforming feels intuitive to me. Maybe a bit on the easy side, but then I'm not a fan of difficult platforming so it suits me fine. I mean, it's basically God of War platforming with some added moves.

Core407

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The platforming feels intuitive to me. Maybe a bit on the easy side, but then I'm not a fan of difficult platforming so it suits me fine. I mean, it's basically God of War platforming with some added moves.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to swing from a vine while capping pirates in face?

Wollan

The only platforming method that is fun to replay extensively is extreme platforming like the type found in a Super Mario game. Momentum to everything, supernatural stamina and unlikely feats..etc and usually you will have to combine that with some fetch objectives and so on. The platforming in Uncharted is like it should be for a title like this.

Core407

Banned
Wollan said:
The only platforming method that is fun to replay extensively is extreme platforming like the type found in a Super Mario game. Momentum to everything, supernatural stamina and unlikely feats..etc and usually you will have to combine that with some fetch objectives and so on. The platforming in Uncharted is like it should be for a title like this.

Remember the scene with the scaffolding that kept breaking? That was pretty exhilarating and great example of how the platforming could be expanded upon. There is also another scene where you're running away and shooting over your shoulder. Combining the two seems kind of obvious and could really work well. Expand on the scaffolding by adding in jumping, swinging, rolling and all that jazz.

Wollan

But that's totally linear platforming. You don't really feel like going back and replay it. It's progression.
You do however want more firefights because they can play out differently each time.

dfyb

Banned
i hope uncharted 2 mixes the platforming and shooting together. for the most part in uncharted, you're either platforming or shooting - but rarely both at the same time.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Considering how mind-obliterating the platforming is in certain other action titles like in Ninja Gaiden and DMC1/3, I am glad that the platforming in Uncharted is easy and intuitive. You aren't fighting the camera the entire time just to fall off because you weren't exactly aligned to a certain degree to make the next jump.

J-Rzez said:
Yep, that's why I still use my trusty Super-Fine Pitch Tube equipped Sony CRT HDTV. There's only 1 LCD TV on the market now that does a really impressive job on the black levels, and that's the Series 81 Samsungs, LCD Backlighting, with a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.

CRT HDTV Hi5!!

Our backs may give out but our picture never will.

:D

Spike

justjohn said:
last time i'm using vg plus. i thought they were supposed to be this fast reliable service, but they're just as shitty as the rest.

Don't blame VGP, blame Customs Canada. Those bastards delay everything.

I just got my Zelda Feather Stylus and it was shipped in October. Customs opened the packaging and everything.

SRG01

DarkUSS said:
grab Elene
. These fcking
monsters
are a pain in the ass!

Perhaps it has already been mentioned but I noticed some texture pop in at some areas, like PS3 is loading them at that very moment. It happens with the treasure items too, the details take a while to appear in some occasions. That's normal right? I mean there's nothing wrong with my PS3, is there?

I've only seen texture pop once, and that's when I entered the castle/fortress for the first time.

And keep in mind that I've already put in 6-8 hours and I'm still on chapter 6 or 7. :lol

Pimpwerx

Bought it today. Been dicking around with it the past few hours. Great game. I'm up to the demo part now, so I decided to take a little break. I wish I had an HDTV. There are times when this game looks so damn amazing on my shitty tv. No justice at all. PEACE.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I pulled an all nighter with this and some parts of today to complete it. Its a very fun game. My favorite part was the
Jetski portions ironically, especially going upstream. The Spainard demons threw me off as well. It was quite interesting to see myself, the enemies and the demons all fighting each other. The only part I thought was tedious was figuring out the the Roman numerial portion of that puzzle. I'm surprised that they didn't find a way to get back the camera as well. Also, after a while, thinking about the twist, I had a feeling Navarro was going to be the last person, call it a hunch.
I beat the game on hard and I don't really think it was so. Accuracy in a game as far as shooting is never an issue for me and headshots came easy. I would have preferred that they nerfed the pistol so force me to try another weapon, but there really wasn't an incentive for me do so.
The Desert was pretty fucking nice though
I can say that I like this game a lot and recommend it to everyone. There is one thing that I don't understand, maybe I missed it.
When you first learn of Drake's true intent on trying to keep El Dorado there, why was there a film strip running? It couldn't have been Drake because that technology wasn't available.
Anywho, great game indeed.

Spike

Pimpwerx said:
Bought it today. Been dicking around with it the past few hours. Great game. I'm up to the demo part now, so I decided to take a little break. I wish I had an HDTV. There are times when this game looks so damn amazing on my shitty tv. No justice at all. PEACE.

Me too.

dfyb

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
There is one thing that I don't understand, maybe I missed it.
When you first learn of Drake's true intent on trying to keep El Dorado there, why was there a film strip running? It couldn't have been Drake because that technology wasn't available.
nazis

Agent Icebeezy said:
There is one thing that I don't understand, maybe I missed it.

Presumably, the film was made by the Nazis, and Navarro had been viewing that film at some point before Nathan got there.

Pristine_Condition said:
Presumably, the film was made by the Nazis, and Navarro had been viewing that film at some point before Nathan got there.

Or
the Nazis had left the projector running when the monsters attacked... (insert dramatic music)... and when Nate turned the power back on, it just picked up where it left off.

Ceb

dfyb said:
i hope uncharted 2 mixes the platforming and shooting together. for the most part in uncharted, you're either platforming or shooting - but rarely both at the same time.

Yeah, there are a couple of spots where you have to fend of one or two bad guys while scaling an area with little cover in it. Quite stressful, and I do wish there was more stuff like that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ceb said:
Yeah, there are a couple of spots where you have to fend of one or two bad guys while scaling an area with little cover in it. Quite stressful, and I do wish there was more stuff like that.
Woulda been better if
you could step into the john and fight the enemies while they are in the can. Or there were a story bit where Nate would hit the can and be stormed by baddies and have to engage in shooting while crapping (deep breath) all the while you hear the sounds of thunderous farts from the diahhrea in this passionate scene.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ceb said:

Getting shot while the player is making a jump might have been rather frustrating, maybe they did have more of those situations that got thrown out due to playtesting not scoring them well, who knows. One thing I would like is to have more stealth gameplay, nothing too complicated but those stealth kills are just so damn satisfying.
Indifferent2.gif

Core407

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Woulda been better if
you could step into the john and fight the enemies while they are in the can. Or there were a story bit where Nate would hit the can and be stormed by baddies and have to engage in shooting while crapping (deep breath) all the while you hear the sounds of thunderous farts from the diahhrea in this passionate scene.

:lol

Edit: Would be cool if there was items you could use as shields - both immobile and mobile.

tanod

when is my burrito
AltogetherAndrews said:

The platforming feels like the middle ground between automatic jumping like in Zelda: OOT and total control. How far you jump is context sensitive and works surprisingly well. He always seems to jump as far as I need/want him to.

vpance

Crushing is a really good challenge. I'm getting a lot more oh shiiittt moments because it's so easy to die. Just passed the firefight in the area in the jungle where the plane crashed and was down to only 6 bullets with 2 pirates left. It seems like they take an extra bullet or so to die now too. The part of me that wants it to be even tougher thinks they should've gotten rid of the checkpoints in between the waves of enemies, like in the plane crash area where there's 3 waves.

Got the Dualshock 3 today too, nothing too special in Uncharted. I actually prefer my old Sixaxis buttons. Maybe it's because the DS3 is new, but the I find the buttons alot stiffer and smushier. Probably better for analog button input though, not that it matters in Uncharted.

Edit: Also, "No more children for you!" when Drake kicked someone in the balls was hilarious.

One thing that I really like is the hang over a ledge cover fire system. I don't think I've seen this in a game before, or at least not implemented in such a way that it'd make me compliment it. I'd also add that a certain other cover-based game feels like a tank battle against against mutated upright donkeys, but I don't want to start something so I won't say that. I will say though that ND has definitely raised the bar a bit in this regard, and that it will be interesting to see how other developers respond. Could have used a bit more blood though, and the explosions feel a bit silly.

Lemming_JRS said:
Or
the Nazis had left the projector running when the monsters attacked... (insert dramatic music)... and when Nate turned the power back on, it just picked up where it left off.

Actually that supposition makes a lot more sense than mine. Good one.

So is anyone else keeping track of how many times your own comments are matched almost instantly by Drake? I've had three such moments so far, and I feel both dumb and cool each time.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
One thing that I really like is the hang over a ledge cover fire system. I don't think I've seen this in a game before, or at least not implemented in such a way that it'd make me compliment it. I'd also add that a certain other cover-based game feels like a tank battle against against mutated upright donkeys, but I don't want to start something so I won't say that. I will say though that ND has definitely raised the bar a bit in this regard, and that it will be interesting to see how other developers respond. Could have used a bit more blood though, and the explosions feel a bit silly.

Both firing a handgun and throwing a grenade while ledge-hanging are something new in cover-based shooters. I think it's kind of unfair that the media tries to project some kind of image that the game is "unoriginal" because it does offer something new within each of the gameplay mechanics it offers. It's so weird now playing other shooters when I run into a piece of cover that I can't climb it somehow. I find it hard to come off Uncharted and play some other cover-based shooter because everything feels less intuitive compared to Uncharted.

Oh and the sountrack is so awesome.

Top Bottom