• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
So is anyone else keeping track of how many times your own comments are matched almost instantly by Drake? I've had three such moments so far, and I feel both dumb and cool each time.

The voice-work is absolutely phenomenal, I love how when some pirate threw a grenade at Drake I would think, "oh shit shit shit" and Drake would actually say it out loud.

AltogetherAndrews said:

From the OP

7y6bjti.jpg

Brashnir

AranhaHunter said:
This game has achievements? How the hell is that possible?

what would be impossible about it? They added them into the code of the game. They don't append to your PSN ID, and you can't view them online like XBL achievements, but it's not like it's ahrd to put them into a game. Hell, EA Sports games had similar stuff last gen.

Brashnir said:
what would be impossible about it? They added them into the code of the game. They don't append to your PSN ID, and you can't view them online like XBL achievements, but it's not like it's ahrd to put them into a game. Hell, EA Sports games had similar stuff last gen.

So it's similar to the Madden stuff on PS2? I was thinking more like the XBL achievements...

dralla

Edge on DF

Through judicious pruning and reweaving Naughty Dog has crafted one of the finest action adventures to date. It’s involving in its narrative, a triumph of pacing, and simply a pleasure to play. [Christmas 2007, p.80]

dralla said:
Edge on DF

Through judicious pruning and reweaving Naughty Dog has crafted one of the finest action adventures to date. It’s involving in its narrative, a triumph of pacing, and simply a pleasure to play. [Christmas 2007, p.80]

Talk about a complete 180 from their impressions in another issue.

AranhaHunter said:
So it's similar to the Madden stuff on PS2? I was thinking more like the XBL achievements...

You basically have a list of things to do in Uncharted like you'd have in a 360 game (i.e. 50 headshots - 30pts , 50 kills with weapon X - 10pts, collect X number of treasures - 10pts, etc.) all the way to 1000pts. Those points in turn unlock various bonus items like the everyday ho-hum stuff like art galleries and behind the scene videos to more helpful and interesting things like infinite ammo, slow motion, mirror world, graphic filters, costumes, etc.

I really like the way they implimented it.

dfyb

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Have they said if these achievements will be later integrated into Home and Home Trophies? How many achievements are there?
there's 1000 total medal points. achievements range from 10 pts to like 150 (there may be a 250)

dfyb said:
there's 1000 total medal points. achievements range from 10 pts to like 150 (there may be a 250)

Ok, so have they said if these medal points be implemented into Home and Home Trophies when it's released?

jet1911

AltogetherAndrews said:
So is anyone else keeping track of how many times your own comments are matched almost instantly by Drake? I've had three such moments so far, and I feel both dumb and cool each time.

The only thing I don't like about the cover system is that you can't move and blind fire at the same time. Other than that it's ace.

J-Rzez

BenjaminBirdie said:
CRT HDTV Hi5!!

Our backs may give out but our picture never will.

:D

Damn straight, especially when you lug this sucker upstairs instead of leaving it in your first floor living room. :lol Bastage is HEAVY!

AltogetherAndrews said:

heh that happened to me quite a few times while playing. The most common instances were:

- I just cleared out a room and i'm low on ammo and then a new wave enters and i'm thinking. "ah come on!" and at that point Drake goes "oh you got to be kidding me!"

-I spend all this time finding some remote location and then run into a batch of enemies. My thought was "how'd these guys get here?" and Drake says outloud "Man these guys are everywhere!"

It was a nice touch and it was cool to see ND use Drake to mock the unrealistic portions of the game for the sake of making a fun/well paced game.

vpance

SolidSnakex said:
Talk about a complete 180 from their impressions in another issue.

Yeah, that's kind of funny because it's usually the other way around with all these over-excited fluffed up previews on game sites.

gketter said:
- I just cleared out a room and i'm low on ammo and then a new wave enters and i'm thinking. "ah come on!" and at that point Drake goes "oh you got to be kidding me!"

:D

That happened to me the first time I tried the Trapped! chapter...whichever number that is. You know, the one where you're fighting all those guys in the domed building with the stationary heavy machine gun all the way in the back on the balcony. As soon as the second or third wave came in, both he and I basically said the same thing together.....'cept I think I was probably cussin' a little more.

Brashnir

Finally got around to beating the game tonight, and I must say that I found the last hour or so of the game pretty unentertaining. Pretty much from the moment the
Spaniard Demons/zombies/whatever the hell they are
appeared, the combat went from fun with too many respawns to just plain boring. Every time they came into a room, the game devolved into me running around in circles pressing R1 whevever something appeared in front of me. The final encounter was retarded as well for completely different reasons. I plowed through it because I knew I was close to the end, but I can't really say that I enjoyed it.

I understand why they went that way for story reasons, but from a gameplay perspective I didn't like it much at all. I'd have rather fought against
undead Spaniards in conquistador outfits shooting at me with muskets
or something, as it would have at least fit in with the gameplay style up to that point. The enemies they went with felt like rejects from
Half Life or Condemned.

Still, I'd rate the game as excellent overall, despite the last hour. I like how they went the Indiana Jones route
with the way nobody gets the big prize at the end,
and the last big platforming piece with the Roman Numerals was great.

Kittonwy

Banned
jet1911 said:
The only thing I don't like about the cover system is that you can't move and blind fire at the same time. Other than that it's ace.

I thought they did blindfire right, it is more for suppression and killing over-exposed enemies rather than a mechanism by which the player can cheese-kill an enemy without being exposed.

Oh yeah, and bloody awesome good job on the "faux" scope and scale they managed to create. Walking around in these totally believable ruins and looking out across the island, that's just awesome.

You know, I can maybe understand that something like Ratchet would have a hard time selling right now, given the platform and the tastes of gamers these days. But if this game doesn't sell at least to current PS3 owners, then games and gaming can kiss my ass because all hope is lost.

In other news, holy shit at the customs house.

deepbrown

AltogetherAndrews said:
Happens all the time...and I'm a brit. So hearing me say "sweet" when i find a gun ...or "uh oh" when a grenade rolls next to me in a slight American accent....it's a sight to behold.

AKS

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, I can maybe understand that something like Ratchet would have a hard time selling right now, given the platform and the tastes of gamers these days. But if this game doesn't sell at least to current PS3 owners, then games and gaming can kiss my ass because all hope is lost.

In other news, holy shit at the customs house.

Many of my favorite games have been ignored by the masses. I adore Team ICO's games. I loved Okami and Stranger's Wrath. I am really hopeful this game isn't ignored. Naughty Dog deserves to see some success with this awesome title. Uncharted would seem to have plenty of mainstream appeal, so I hope more people recognise what a great game this is.

kassatsu

Banned
Just beat the game and I have a quick question. Can you just beat the final stage on harder difficulties to get the achievements?

B-Ri

kassatsu said:
Just beat the game and I have a quick question. Can you just beat the final stage on harder difficulties to get the achievements?

you mean hard mode and get the easy and normal mode achievements?

yes

if you mean moving to hard and getting the 100 headshot achievement? yes. I believe so log as its the same save.

kassatsu

Banned
B-Ri said:
you mean hard mode and get the easy and normal mode achievements?

yes

if you mean moving to hard and getting the 100 headshot achievement? yes. I believe so log as its the same save.
Yea the ones you get for beating the game on a difficulty.

Brashnir

kassatsu said:

I think you have to beat the entire game on a difficulty to get the achievements, not just the last level.

Ceb

Brashnir said:
I think you have to beat the entire game on a difficulty to get the achievements, not just the last level.

I played through the game on normal, then switched to easy on the final chapter after dying a billion times (what can I say - I was too tired to really get the pattern :lol). So I got "Charted! Easy" first, then I selected the final chapter on normal difficulty, beat it and got that medal.

Doesn't work on higher difficulties though. Playing trough the game on Hard right now. :)

Forsete

Wollan said:
Christ. Didn't get the game today either. Had the weekend off but now I will have to wait until Monday.

I feel your pain.. :( What the hell happened to the games that were shipped on friday? Post office got burned down?

Defuser

Ceb said:
I played through the game on normal, then switched to easy on the final chapter after dying a billion times (what can I say - I was too tired to really get the pattern :lol). So I got "Charted! Easy" first, then I selected the final chapter on normal difficulty, beat it and got that medal.

Doesn't work on higher difficulties though. Playing trough the game on Hard right now. :)
I think you beat the game on hard the first time. Then you select final chapter for easy and normal,you will be able to unlock the Easy and normal achievements.

tanod

when is my burrito
Defuser said:
I think you beat the game on hard the first time. Then you select final chapter for easy and normal,you will be able to unlock the Easy and normal achievements.

If you beat it on Hard, you automatically get the Easy and Normal medals.

Top Bottom