• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

patsu said:
1. was the toughest for me in Normal. They were all over the place ! I had an M79 when I fell into the room and had to conserve my ammo. Too scared to play higher difficulty at the moment.

I can't remember #2.
There is a sniper rifle...behind the stairs...is very good for popping off the guy behind the turret...and four others of your choice. Then run to the turret and get the people coming from behind.
Love how ND have people coming from different directions.

The
third jetski level was much funner once I realised you could fire without aiming
....stupid barrels lol

Atrus

Gold Member
Finished the game on Hard in the first run through at about 12.5 hours on the clock. I have to say that the last time I had a feeling like this was watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in theaters when I was like 5 or 6.

Such an awesome game, from the attention to detail, the fantastic graphics, the amazing sound, and the challenging AI. I almost regret playing it on Hard for the fact that Heroes shouldn't be having as much trouble in killing the bad guys but I didn't want the experience to feel robbed in any part.

Most memorable part of the game for me was in The Bunker of all places. Going into the dark area with ominous music and my gun out and aiming in the dark trying not to make a sound. Next thing you know I ram a cart in the dark and all the jars splay all over the floor sending me stock still trying to listen for something, like the Fellowship in the Mines of Moria after the Hobbit sends the pail into the well. I was too absorbed in the game to realize that its a game and the AI has script triggers not ears.

Seriously, I hope this game sells well enough that this series can be made on the same frequency as the J&D series. I just want to buy Uncharted 2 now, and though a few things leave it short of perfect it's such an awesome experience nonetheless.

I hope more games start to look this good, and I also hope that when Home comes out theres a Home with a vista exactly like the area with the submarine. Standing on the tip of the sub and looking around was just beautiful.

Kittonwy

Banned
Atrus said:
Finished the game on Hard in the first run through at about 12.5 hours on the clock. I have to say that the last time I had a feeling like this was watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in theaters when I was like 5 or 6.

Such an awesome game, from the attention to detail, the fantastic graphics, the amazing sound, and the challenging AI. I almost regret playing it on Hard for the fact that Heroes shouldn't be having as much trouble in killing the bad guys but I didn't want the experience to feel robbed in any part.

Most memorable part of the game for me was in The Bunker of all places. Going into the dark area with ominous music and my gun out and aiming in the dark trying not to make a sound. Next thing you know I ram a cart in the dark and all the jars splay all over the floor sending me stock still trying to listen for something, like the Fellowship in the Mines of Moria after the Hobbit sends the pail into the well. I was too absorbed in the game to realize that its a game and the AI has script triggers not ears.

Seriously, I hope this game sells well enough that this series can be made on the same frequency as the J&D series. I just want to buy Uncharted 2 now, and though a few things leave it short of perfect it's such an awesome experience nonetheless.

I hope more games start to look this good, and I also hope that when Home comes out theres a Home with a vista exactly like the area with the submarine. Standing on the tip of the sub and looking around was just beautiful.

Speaking of music, I'm really enjoying the Greg Edmonson soundtrack on my ipod today, now I can take a piece of Uncharted with me wherever I go.
Indifferent2.gif

SaitoH

So in spite of my desire to give uncharted a rest and play some other games I found myself on Chapter 4 on crushing difficulty. Aside from the huge damage increase, they certainly are a LOT more aggressive. I find if I hang back they'll rush me like crazy.

This should prove to be quite fun.

YYZ

kittonwy, did you start crushing mode with or without the bonuses and treasures? If you started fresh, did you get the 1000 points?

Kittonwy

Banned
YYZ said:
kittonwy, did you start crushing mode with or without the bonuses and treasures? If you started fresh, did you get the 1000 points?

I started crushing carrying over all my medals and treasures. No, I'm still missing a few medals.
Indifferent2.gif

dralla

you don't need to aim at that part. you can just press R1 and Elena will auto-aim and you can essentially drive by everyone

dfyb

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Going upstream on a jetski is every bit as bad of an idea as I had imagined it'd be. Gah.
i enjoyed it more than the other jetski section. i thought it was a cool concept and excecuted fairly well. again i think all jetski sections would benefit from being able to move and shoot at the same time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The jet ski segments weren't necessarily bad, but they probably were the least interesting portions of the game.

Big-E

dark10x said:
The jet ski segments weren't necessarily bad, but they probably were the least interesting portions of the game.

Agreed. The upstream bit is retarded because it slows you down plus you have to stop to shoot.

SaitoH

Btw, crushing doesn't allow you to use slow-mo, infinite ammo, one hit kills, or any of the weapon equips, so you can't really cheap your way through it.

Kittonwy

Banned
SaitoH said:
Btw, crushing doesn't allow you to use slow-mo, infinite ammo, one hit kills, or any of the weapon equips, so you can't really cheap your way through it.

Crushing is fucking hardcore yo.
Indifferent2.gif

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Dammit I cannot wait to play this game but I refuse to play it without my Hd tv :( Since it has not yet arrived I am screwed till I get it this makes me sad very sad.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Are there any disadvantages to importing a DS3 right now? I could have sworn Sony said they couldn't guarantee imported controllers working for all NTSC games...

Or maybe that was just typical "don't import shit" blabber.

Should I import one for Uncharted (I have yet to buy the game) or should I wait?

Loudninja

Elbrain said:
Dammit I cannot wait to play this game but I refuse to play it without my Hd tv :( Since it has not yet arrived I am screwed till I get it this makes me sad very sad.

Dont worry dude you are lot alone.My HDTV will not come until December 13

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Loudninja said:
Dont worry dude you are lot alone.My HDTV will not come until December 13

I have played the demo in SD a lot but through out the entire time I just imaging how awesome it would look in HD, Damn Sears and their lagness on my order.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
AltogetherAndrews said:
Going upstream on a jetski is every bit as bad of an idea as I had imagined it'd be. Gah.

I liked going upstream once I realized it would stop moving when i shoot. Lol the first 5 tries I tried to speed through thinking shooting would make my jet ski flow down stream.

Admittedly getting my jet ski driving skills up thanks to failure led me to enjoy the sequence that much more.

well either that or thinking hell it could be worse...it could control like the meko on mass effect lulz.

Loudninja

Elbrain said:
I have played the demo in SD a lot but through out the entire time I just imaging how awesome it would look in HD, Damn Sears and their lagness on my order.

Just bought mine today from CC,What TV you got?

Dez

dark10x said:

I'm only around 60% done the game, but all the jet ski segments have been terrible. A screen tearing mess, and absolutely pointless filler.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Big-E said:
Agreed. The upstream bit is retarded because it slows you down plus you have to stop to shoot.

But when you stop to shoot, your jet ski suddenly stops moving backwards, allowing you to conveniently aim. :lol

I pretty much hated both jet skiing segments. Thankfully, they weren't long.

Narcosis

Like a few others have mentioned here, I myself just yesterday upgraded from a standard def TV to high def. Uncharted looked great in SD, but it's no comparison to playing it in full HD.

Crushing difficulty is kicking my ass. I die.......alot.

Holy omgf at the monastery, especially the underground. Hippie "everyone is best" attitude can kiss my ass, that's the best looking sawesome I've ever seen in a game.

gray_fox224

I'm sorry if this was answered before, but I have a question about the native resolution on surrounding the game. My t.v. is native 1080p; should I set the PS3 hardware to 720p or 1080i when I play this?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
Are there any disadvantages to importing a DS3 right now? I could have sworn Sony said they couldn't guarantee imported controllers working for all NTSC games...

Should I import one for Uncharted (I have yet to buy the game) or should I wait?

? Anyone?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
gray_fox224 said:
I'm sorry if this was answered before, but I have a question about the native resolution on surrounding the game. My t.v. is native 1080p; should I set the PS3 hardware to 720p or 1080i when I play this?

Yes I would like to know this also as well is if a game is 720p are there advantages on going to 1080p only in system configuration or just leaving it 720p? Or just have both selected on the config part and will they game pick the better resolution? Damn this is getting confusing :D Now I could just tinker with the setting when I get everything set up but hey like my favorite quote says "Knowledge is power" *Insert 1980's catchy tune*

Evlar

Banned
Elbrain said:
Yes I would like to know this also as well is if a game is 720p are there advantages on going to 1080p only in system configuration or just leaving it 720p? Or just have both selected on the config part and will they game pick the better resolution? Damn this is getting confusing :D Now I could just tinker with the setting when I get everything set up but hey like my favorite quote says "Knowledge is power" *Insert 1980's catchy tune*
From past posts in this thread, the game will play in 720p unless you have that option unchecked in the XMB. In that case it will output in whatever option you have available.

I would let the game output in 720p and leave upscaling to your TV's internal scaler.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
The Sphinx said:
From past posts in this thread, the game will play in 720p unless you have that option unchecked in the XMB. In that case it will output in whatever option you have available.

I would let the game output in 720p and leave upscaling to your TV's internal scaler.

Nice to know good thing I wont have to worry about that I guess but still "Knowledge is power!" *Insert Rock Jingle*

numble

dirtmonkey37 said:

I got a DS3, works really good and is really implemented well with Uncharted, not as well implemented in Ratchet.

I'd wait, unless you can get a good deal on importing (it'll probably be $50 w/tax when it gets to the US--I only paid a little bit more than what I think it'll cost when it gets here)

Greg

No reason to post this in the AC topic as it's a credit to Uncharted, rather than a knock of AC.

I rented AC this afternoon, and while it does a lot of things well, it makes me realize how amazing Uncharted really is - I think I was really spoiled to go from R&C straight to Uncharted in terms of quality, because both of them were so top-notch.

To think people complain about any technical aspects of Uncharted is absolutely ridiculous in comparison to AC (well, at least the PS3 version, and if that's the case, I highly recommend the 360 version if you haven't already). Ridiculous amount of pop-in, tearing (every time I get a bird's eye view of an area when it pans around, it's almost dizzying), collision problems, framerate frequently dropping, 'interactive' cut-scenes that manage to frustrate you on their limitations rather than give you freedom (seriously, why in the fuck can I walk 3 steps before hitting an invisible wall?).

I give AC definite props for a lot of things (the whole scaling system is amazing, and makes me wish Uncharted had more interactive environments), but I guess I didn't appreciate Uncharted enough (technically) for how much it did... even with the little things like load times.

Awntawn

numble said:
I got a DS3, works really good and is really implemented well with Uncharted, not as well implemented in Ratchet.

I'd wait, unless you can get a good deal on importing (it'll probably be $50 w/tax when it gets to the US--I only paid a little bit more than what I think it'll cost when it gets here)
It'll cost that, plus a little extra for the atomic bomb required to open that godforsaken US packaging

Sorry if this was already posted in this huge thread, but here's a 1UP article on Greg Edmonson's score for Uncharted:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3164513

When writing the music, Edmonson tried to create a cohesive style that was recognizable throughout the game while still fitting the particular situations and locations it was intended for. "There were small differences depending on where you were in the game," he says. "For instance, in the monastery we used weird metal things and Tibetan bowls, and stuff like that. And when we were out in the jungle, we used all kinds of ethnic flutes. But even those things kind of crossed over, so it was fun."

Additionally, players can expect to hear a multitude of other unusual instruments from all over the world that are used throughout the game. Some of these include the saz (a Turkish stringed instrument), didgeridoo, conch shell, harmonic flutes, shofar, frame drum, and a bunch of invented instruments that don't even have names.

J-Rzez

Glad to see people are seeing the light, that this is GOTY and Game of the Forever. I was losing faith in gaming, fearing the worst for the hardware next gen.

Forsete

J-Rzez said:
Glad to see people are seeing the light, that this is GOTY and Game of the Forever. I was losing faith in gaming, fearing the worst for the hardware next gen.

Damn if my game does not arrive tomorrow. :(

deepbrown

dfyb said:
i enjoyed it more than the other jetski section. i thought it was a cool concept and excecuted fairly well. again i think all jetski sections would benefit from being able to move and shoot at the same time.
Uh you can in that one...just tap r1....she auto-aims

Top Bottom