• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome game from the beginning to the end (yeah even the jetski parts). I can also say it is one of the few games that I find myself playing through for the 3rd time and I'm still taken aback by the level of detail.

Kittonwy

Banned
tribal24 said:
/clap just finished it ; ; tears of joy!?!?!?! game of forever!?!?!

Yep yep.
Indifferent2.gif

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just beat it. Liked the game, but I have a few issues with the end:

Monsters? Pathetic.
End Boss? Cheap and lame, and the QTE shit was uncalled for.

Goldrusher

gray_fox224 said:
My t.v. is native 1080p; should I set the PS3 hardware to 720p or 1080i when I play this?

How about 1080p ? :lol

Just check 720p and 1080p. 1080i is pretty useless if your tv supports 1080p.

Omeyocan

Finished it on hard the first time and all I have to say is that Uncharted is one of the best games I've played in my life. I seriously want a sequel.

I'm at chapter 4 on crushing and I don't feel it so difficult at all.

Synless

I only need one medal points requirement and it's a weapons use one.....it's the one in-between 30 kills: MP40 and the 50 Kills: M4 what the hell is it????

Ceb

Chiggs said:
End Boss? Cheap and lame, and the QTE shit was uncalled for.

End-game spoiler:
He isn't really cheap once you figure out his pattern. He'll fire three shots in a rapid succession, then one more, then his laser sight disappears for a while and you're clear to take out his goons. I died a shitload of times trying to pull off reckless stunts against him though.

I only need one medal points requirement and it's a weapons use one.....it's the one in-between 30 kills: MP40 and the 50 Kills: M4 what the hell is it????

M79?

Synless

Ceb said:
End-game spoiler:
He isn't really cheap once you figure out his pattern. He'll fire three shots in a rapid succession, then one more, then his laser sight disappears for a while and you're clear to take out his goons. I died a shitload of times trying to pull off reckless stunts against him though.

M79?
No, thats after the SAS-12 and I have that one.

jmd494

Omeyocan said:
Finished it on hard the first time and all I have to say is that Uncharted is one of the best games I've played in my life. I seriously want a sequel.

I'm at chapter 4 on crushing and I don't feel it so difficult at all.
If you still think it's easy when you get to here:
8gipl6s.jpg

or here:
6ui1sef.jpg

...then you the man.

Omeyocan

The game is fun as hell ! Not that hard though.

Uncharted 2 must have:

- Much more puzzles and more complicated
- Longer and deeper story
- 25-30 hours to complete

Synless

So does anyone know what weapon it is that I need that's inbetween the MP40 and the M4????? someone on here has to know!!!!!!!!

the_id

Omeyocan said:

Uncharted 2 must have:

i agree with the first two points. get the designer for the puzzles in god of war. those kind of puzzles suits uncharted. the story in uncharted is great. it like watching a summer blockbuster except you're part of it. uncharted 2 can keep the same formulas but make the story more deeper and the puzzles harder.

but must disagree with the last one. i'll use god of war again. both were short. but the pacing for both games were perfect. both had excellent replayability. keeping this formula while maybe adding just a bit more lime twist should do it.

Uncharted2...somewhere in some anchient pyramid or in Cambodia where the Angkor Wat is. those places make nice settings.

Ceb

Synless said:
So does anyone know what weapon it is that I need that's inbetween the MP40 and the M4????? someone on here has to know!!!!!!!!

Just checked my list: it's the AK-47. :lol I got mine after all the others too. :D

Synless

Ceb said:
Just checked my list: it's the AK-47. :lol I got mine after all the others too. :D
Thanks, I was going nuts trying to figure out what it was...
*edit* And I got it!!!!!!!!! 100% complete.

spwolf

Omeyocan said:

Uncharted 2 must have:

lot of people hate puzzles (including me).
Longer is always good, but they wouldnt be able to do movie-like experience - not only it would be expensive to make, it would feel like 7 hr movie.

IzumiK

Banned
so um... I finished in easy, do I just turn the difficulty to hard and start the game on the same save to get hard medal unlocked or do a new game and transfer the medals and rewards to it?

calder

I've been thinking about the sequel (and my god if this game doesn't sell I will personally burn down the house of every single PS3 owner who didn't buy it) and wondering about the vehicle sections. I think most people liked the jeep sections - just gorgeous, a bit easy but a nice adventure-movie segment that wasn't too long and progressed the story.

I'd also say it's almost unanimous that the jetski segments didn't work, but the ride up the river teased me at first because I thought it was going to be cool. But then they had to have enemies in there, and to make it even remotely possible they had to have the jetski idle motionless for you and have Elena turn into the most amazing shot of all time, capable of shooting guys a quarter mile away with a pistol while riding on a bobbing little boat. But while it wasn't much more interesting than the first jetski level there was something about navigating up the river that could have been so much more.

I guess something without guys shooting at you would require ND to think up something else to provide challenge, maybe a twisting path with a few streams you can go up where you have to struggle to pilot the jetski against the current, and the danger lies in capsizing and drowning if you don't pick the right route. Instead of barrels floating down the river that explode when grazing your craft for no real reason maybe animals in the river at certain sections you have to avoid, like crocs that would tip over your boat. It would give ND a chance to make an even more disturbing death animation than the grisly jetski one, something about Elena yelling in pain and then seeing her and Nate both flop lifelessly into the current was jarring. ;)

Greg

I hope the second installment has puzzles very similar to this one - the one thing that makes this game so replayable is the fact that you can burn through it once you know what you are doing... another reason why the quick platforming is so awesome.

I would hate to have more challenging puzzles/drawn out sequences that slow down the pace of the game. That's one problem I'm having with AC right now - no way in hell will I ever replay the game because the in-game story segments are an absolute pain.

IzumiK said:
so um... I finished in easy, do I just turn the difficulty to hard and start the game on the same save to get hard medal unlocked or do a new game and transfer the medals and rewards to it?
Yeah, just go to new game and select hard, and it will ask you if you wish to carry over all your rewards - just say yes.

JB1981

calder said:
I've been thinking about the sequel (and my god if this game doesn't sell I will personally burn down the house of every single PS3 owner who didn't buy it) and wondering about the vehicle sections. I think most people liked the jeep sections - just gorgeous, a bit easy but a nice adventure-movie segment that wasn't too long and progressed the story.

I'd also say it's almost unanimous that the jetski segments didn't work, but the ride up the river teased me at first because I thought it was going to be cool. But then they had to have enemies in there, and to make it even remotely possible they had to have the jetski idle motionless for you and have Elena turn into the most amazing shot of all time, capable of shooting guys a quarter mile away with a pistol while riding on a bobbing little boat. But while it wasn't much more interesting than the first jetski level there was something about navigating up the river that could have been so much more.

I guess something without guys shooting at you would require ND to think up something else to provide challenge, maybe a twisting path with a few streams you can go up where you have to struggle to pilot the jetski against the current, and the danger lies in capsizing and drowning if you don't pick the right route. Instead of barrels floating down the river that explode when grazing your craft for no real reason maybe animals in the river at certain sections you have to avoid, like crocs that would tip over your boat. It would give ND a chance to make an even more disturbing death animation than the grisly jetski one, something about Elena yelling in pain and then seeing her and Nate both flop lifelessly into the current was jarring. ;)

A balls-out jet ski chase was very much needed

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just started playing 2nd time through on crushing. Anyone else find the platforming bits in-between the combat to be kind of a chore now that you know exactly where to go and what to do? The cutscenes remain fun to watch, but man I wish I could just fast forward to the firefight. :p

deepbrown

calder said:

YOU DONT NEED TO STOP AND AIM TO SHOOT IN THE LAST ONE. She auto aims...meaning you can drive as fast as you want just tapping r1. These sections definitely aided the pacing of the game...without them it wouldn't have been paced right.

I quite like the upriver one...it was fun and pretty...plus you can tap r1 to shoot, so it was faster.

Greg

chespace said:
Just started playing 2nd time through on crushing. Anyone else find the platforming bits in-between the combat to be kind of a chore now that you know exactly where to go and what to do? The cutscenes remain fun to watch, but man I wish I could just fast forward to the firefight. :p
Yeah, I thought the same... however, the one thing that I appreciate now is how fast you can jump from one section to the other. My first time through the game, I always thought the way he could jump across places so quickly seemed out of place, but now I couldn't imagine a more realistic approach.

As for the firefights, it seemed that I was playing the game entirely too safe the first time around - I'm having a ton of fun running/gunning through the majority of the segments.

J-Rzez

Kittonwy said:
Just like I toldja speevy, dis iz it, dis iz finally it.
Indifferent2.gif

IC whatchu did thar! :lol

chespace said:

No, though I didn't find doing the same shit over and over throughout A.Creed to be repetitive either. So it might just be me.

Ceb

chespace said:

Not really. Aside from climbing up on the sub, there's not many platforming "detours" in the game. Bitching about what's in there would be like bitching that you have to walk between firefights in GeOW.

Ceb said:
Not really. Aside from climbing up on the sub, there's not many platforming "detours" in the game. Bitching about what's in there would be like bitching that you have to walk between firefights in GeOW.

Che talking down a PS3 game, well I've never. For more recent laughs, check out what Che has to say about Uncharted vs AC in terms of graphics, here and here. One is better "by far", because clearly the other "doesn't come close" :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
AltogetherAndrews said:
Che talking down a PS3 game, well I've never. For more recent laughs, check out what Che has to say about Uncharted vs AC in terms of graphics, here and here. One is better "by far", because clearly the other "doesn't come close" :lol

:lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got to the beginning of chapter 8 last night after the lengthy play. The game definitely changed the pace from the exploration in the first four chapters to a a balls to wall action and platforming in pretty even and well balanced ratio. Firefights are really damn fun, the pirates are crazy bastards with some of the cheesiest moves ever put into a game. They almost never miss to do something that really cheers me up.

Question - how do I perform a stealth move on them? On several occasions I sneaked behind one of them, pretty close to his back, pressed Square, and that just initiated the regular punching sequence. How do I jump on his back and break his neck like in that one video?

The platforming has some of the same evocativeness from Ico - the way the abandoned fortress feels all airy and sun-bathed, the way birds fly away from your jumps, camera movements, the certain small clumsiness Drake has while jumping reminds me of Ico, and also the way you seemingly can climb and jump almost anywhere, whether you're supposed to go there or not. Animations really sell all this, it's a joy just to watch your character jumping and traversing around, but the great feel of controlling it is what seals the deal.

Stopped playing right after the Jeep sequence, which was a fun diversion, clearly put there so you can blow it all up to smithereens, with not much challenge, and to push the graphics engine to the max. I loved how just as in MGS3 motorcycle chase scene, you can shoot at vehicle in the front, and then one behind, if it's too close, just slams into the wreckage and explodes.

Also, thanks to some idiot at Gamefaqs board (what was I looking for there, I don't even know) I read what's probably a pretty serious spoiler in the game
He mentioned a Gollum?! Which now that I think about it makes some sense given that I've seen two types of those weird burial marks - one with regular human skulls and guns crossed like a cross, and one with some weird (alien/gollum? looking) skulls on spears jammed into the ground

SaitoH

AltogetherAndrews said:

So what if he think Assassin's Creed looks better?

/boggle

SaitoH said:
So what if he think Assassin's Creed looks better?

/boggle

Oh please. That's plenty fine (although I'd certainly wonder how much mental blockage must have been required in order to ignore flaws), but "by far" and "nowhere near" are not terms that should be used to describe whatever gap there is.

ypo

Yea funny he had another mental blockage about another game with horrendous texture pop-ins but he's shocked to see a few in Uncharted. :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
I was going to put this on my X-mas short list for family who never know what to gert me, but that's a long wait. I have Mass Effect waiting at the post office, but now I'm thinking of picking up and finishing Uncharted first. This fall is brutal on the wallet.

BeeDog

DeadGzuz said:
I was going to put this on my X-mas short list for family who never know what to gert me, but that's a long wait. I have Mass Effect waiting at the post office, but now I'm thinking of picking up and finishing Uncharted first. This fall is brutal on the wallet.

You tell me, I'll soon get a mental breakdown trying to figure out what game I should get first. These are some of the ones in the pipeline:

Gears of War PC
Unreal Tournament 3 PC
Uncharted
Call Of Duty 4, either PC or PS3

Argh!

Top Bottom