• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Master Z

AltogetherAndrews said:
Che talking down a PS3 game, well I've never. For more recent laughs, check out what Che has to say about Uncharted vs AC in terms of graphics, here and here. One is better "by far", because clearly the other "doesn't come close" :lol

:lol Well I certainly don't agree with him there but I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion, now matter how strange it may be. I mean, I can see how somebody may prefer the art direction in AC, but on a technical level I don't see how one could say that Uncharted doesn't come close...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I find it a bit hard to believe someone can seriously think AC "looks" better than Uncharted (especially on a technical level), much less to be a lot better looking, and I actually think AC looks very nice in itself. AC is impressive for it's free-roaming though, so I guess if you value that more, you'll think it's more impressive than the much more linear Uncharted. But if you don't look at it that way, and just look at the image displayed on your screen, Uncharted shames pretty much anything. The density of geometry, textures, shaders, shadows, it's just insane. The level of polish and lack of visual flaws is another thing that combined with crazy shadow map resolution makes it look less 'realtime graphics' than just about anything.

Not the mention the nuancing of characters - after watching Sully and Elena in Uncharted, both in cutscenes and as NPCs during gameplay, watching that girl in AC talk to you at the beginning of the game, she looks like a damn zombie, the difference there was actually quite shocking to me.

Awntawn

Marconelly said:
I find it a bit hard to believe someone can seriously think AC "looks" better than Uncharted (especially on a technical level), much less to be a lot better looking, and I actually think AC looks very nice in itself. AC is impressive for it's free-roaming though, so I guess if you value that more, you'll think it's more impressive than the much more linear Uncharted. But if you don't look at it that way, and just look at the image displayed on your screen, Uncharted shames pretty much anything. The density of geometry, textures, shaders, shadows, it's just insane. The level of polish and lack of visual flaws is another thing that combined with crazy shadow map resolution makes it look less 'realtime graphics' than just about anything.

Not the mention the nuancing of characters - after watching Sully and Elena in Uncharted, both in cutscenes and as NPCs during gameplay, watching that girl in AC talk to you at the beginning of the game, she looks like a damn zombie, the difference there was actually quite shocking to me.
Google search the Flat Earth Society. It's not strange that people can believe in bogus stuff 3; Some people just don't have a trained eye for things, and since there isn't exactly an Official Visual Fidelity Parser Score or anything, it's understandable that there will always be people who will say, "I don't see what's so special about that" to one of the best looking video game graphic engines on the market. It's like in sports, some team can be the worst in the league, and their fans still think it's a good team with a shot at the title. They just lose all the credibility they ever had on the topic at hand (in this case, having eyes that can see ;o), and humanity moves on.

SSM25

the_id said:
do any of you feel a god of war vibe to this game? i'ma getting it and i'ma loving it.

Curious that I just finished the game a few moments ago and I got the same vibe, that satisfying and awesome vibe at end of the credits when I finished GOW I.

What a ride!!!!.....This just became one of my favorite games of all time, and the best game I have played since MGS3...............WOW!!!

Now to get all the treasures and medal points, not to mention hard and crushing.

YYZ

I made a few posts in this thread about a week ago comparing this game to God of War. It is definitely similar, but people don't see it because of the Gears style shooting and Tomb Raider environment.

BTW I'm working on a walkthrough for normal and crushing mode, complete with many videos.

Jtrizzy

I definitely see the GOW comparison. The platforming reminds me of GOW--and that of course is a good thing.

Question: I beat the game on hard, but I think I started it on normal. If I go back and beat the early levels (the one's I beat before moving it to hard) will it give me credit for beating the game on hard? Or will I have to do it all over again? Which I will be doing anyway, because this is my favorite game in years.

It sucks because I beat essentially the entire game on hard and didn't get the credit for it.

SSM25

I wasn't saying the game plays like GOW, I was trying to say that by the end of the game I got this sense of accomplishment and satisfaction as in GOW. It's amazing.

v1c

I'm loving the game so far, all the characters, the gun fights. the music, little details like menu screen music, asking if you want subtitles BEFORE the game actually starts and lack of loading makes this a game I'm taking my time to beat. Enjoying every min. BUT......is it wrong of me to want to have Nates babies?

7ws7y3o.jpg

and why am I actually looking forward to two video game characters making out?!!??

8bpsfes.jpg

*bows to Naughty Dog*

I might actually have to by some Jak and Daxter games now to see what I've been missing.

JB1981

AltogetherAndrews said:
Jumping across broken ledges and balconies in this game makes me wonder what God of War III must look like.
If they maintain 60fps, I doubt it will look anywhere near as good as this game.

Kittonwy

Banned
SSM25 said:
I wasn't saying the game plays like GOW, I was trying to say that by the end of the game I got this sense of accomplishment and satisfaction as in GOW. It's amazing.

Bububut unlike God of War you're playing as a genuinely likeable hero instead of some angry asswipe who thought he was owed something whether it's revenge or power.
Indifferent2.gif

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Bububut unlike God of War you're playing as a genuinely likeable hero instead of some angry asswipe who thought he was owed something whether it's revenge or power.
Indifferent2.gif

This is a great game but it still ain't no God of War. Uncharted doesn't have to be better than everything ya know.

the_id

This game is not God of war. i agree. its just playing this game, it has that same AWESOME FUCKING WOWSOME feeling of God Of War.

Nathan is more likeable than Emo Kratos.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
What can I say, AC impresses me more. Bigger scope, more density via population and environmental geometry, all with excellent lighting and textures. That's not to say Uncharted looks like shit, but I don't expect dissenting opinions to be accepted in a thread that's as rabid as this one. :lol

Furthermore, those of you accusing me of hating on Uncharted are doing some pretty extreme selective reading of my posts in this thread. I finished it a couple days ago and watched the making of videos. I've got a lot of respect for the folks at Naughty Dog, the game turned out nicely and is definitely one of the best SP shooters this gen.

That said, I didn't like the platforming bits, which were far too shallow and linear, the puzzles, which were neither creative nor engaging, the jet ski segments, nor the end boss sequence. I know everyone here disagrees - good for you, good for me. shrug.

The fact that I'm playing through it again on Crushing speaks volumes about its firefights and dynamic AI, something I don't see much outside of Halo's legendary difficulty.

Do I love the game despite my nitpicks? Yup, so chill out. ;)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
chespace said:
What can I say, AC impresses me more. Bigger scope, more density via population and environmental geometry, all with excellent lighting and textures. That's not to say Uncharted looks like shit, but I don't expect dissenting opinions to be accepted in a thread that's as rabid as this one. :lol

Furthermore, those of you accusing me of hating on Uncharted are doing some pretty extreme selective reading of my posts in this thread. I finished it a couple days ago and watched the making of videos. I've got a lot of respect for the folks at Naughty Dog, the game turned out nicely and is definitely one of the best SP shooters this gen.

That said, I didn't like the platforming bits, which were far too shallow and linear, the puzzles, which were neither creative nor engaging, the jet ski segments, nor the end boss sequence. I know everyone here disagrees - good for you, good for me. shrug.

The fact that I'm playing through it again on Crushing speaks volumes about its firefights and dynamic AI, something I don't see much outside of Halo's legendary difficulty.

So, Resistance > Gears of War in graphics, going by your logic then?

Ceb

chespace said:
I've got a lot of respect for the folks at Naughty Dog, the game turned out nicely and is definitely one of the best SP shooters this gen.

You didn't pay for the game, right? That's not being supportive of their efforts. :p

SSM25

the_id said:
This game is not God of war. i agree. its just playing this game, it has that same AWESOME FUCKING WOWSOME feeling of God Of War.

Nathan is more likeable than Emo Kratos.

I concurr with you..I'M NOT SAYING THIS GAME IS BETTER OR WORSE THAN GOW, I'M JUST SAYING THAT I FEEL EXACTLY LIKE I DID AFTER BEATING GOW, EXTREMELY SATISFIED WITH THE GAME (GRAPHICS, STORY AND GAMEPLAY). oh and by GOW I mean GOD OF WAR.

please ignore che, after all this is a PS3 exclusive game, it's like having bill gates posting his opinions on linux.

the_id

why do people hate che's comments? he brings variety to this thread. its getting boring listening the praises. reading che's criticism adds more spice to the discussion.

just agree to disagree guys.

reilo

the_id said:
why do people hate che's comments? he brings variety to this thread. its getting boring listening the praises. reading che's criticism adds more spice to the discussion.

Because he does this for every PS3 game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Well I finished this game this past holiday weekend on normal and I must say I am extremely satisfied. I loved the platforming bits, reminds me a bit of tomb raider. This game is basically what an Indian Jones game should be. Drake is such charismatic lead character, whomever was the voice actor did a fantasic job. This type of game is one reason why I bought a PS3, I didn't think xbox 360 could come out with a game like this or Ratchet.

I am looking forward to Uncharted 2, maybe with a different title but still staring Drake.

the_id said:

It's too predictable, and in this case actually flat out sad (funny how one can make the argument that something is by far more impressive without having even played the other, you know), to add much spice to anything. It's a PS3 exclusive, so Che is going to be critical. There's the odd compliment, but there's always a point of critique in there to make sure it doesn't sound too good. Nothing is ever really worth praise, but rather tempered compliments and of course a keen eye for flaws, even if said flaws are far less numerous than in games that are seemingly exempt from that critical eye.

And now to make it even less interesting, he's actually playing the victim card these days. This from the dude who damned near flipped out during Halo 3 week because people had the audacity to not be impressed by the graphics in Halo 3. It's fucking pathetic.

reilo

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's too predictable, and in this case actually flat out sad, to add much spice to anything. It's a PS3 exclusive, so Che is going to be critical. And to make it even less interesting, he's actually playing the victim card these days. This from the dude who damned near flipped out during Halo 3 week because people had the audacity to not be impressed by the graphics in Halo 3. It's fucking pathetic.

The Shoe taught him well.

JB1981 said:
If they maintain 60fps, I doubt it will look anywhere near as good as this game.

Should be close enough for reference. If they stick with the mostly static camera, it'd also allow them to focus on detail on smaller areas, so at least from a design perspective I expect it to be amazing, and the tech should be quite solid. It was mostly the style of that particular scene though, the ledge jumping for some reason reminded me of God of War.

Let's hope they work on getting rid of tearing though. :/

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
reilo said:
Because he does this for every PS3 game.
This I'm afraid is true.

So anyway I'm up to the ski boat part. The graphics on the jeep level are Awesome mother f*cking wowsome. Actually the whole game up to now puts every other game to shame especially on those dark watery levels. It was great, having a blast with the game.

I really feel a connection with Drake. I feel hes real somehow. Those smart comments he throws out here and there make him seem like a person you know and can relate to.

And of course the acting is top notch, best I have seen this gen or anyother.

One beef I have with the game, or maybe I should say with all games. It takes so many puzzles and tricks to enter an area but once I'm in, what do you know, enemies are already inside... What the fuck! This game is very immersive and those little things take me out of it for a bit and remind me I'm playing a game.

Thug Larz

Neo Member
Just finished the game today on Hard. I really enjoyed it.

Length felt good. Nice graphics. A very solid game.

Some minor negatives:

The combat can get repetitive in some sections (maybe because it was on Hard?), but overall I liked the balance between exploration, puzzles, and combat.

Also, the hand to hand combat didn't really come into play all that often. Maybe because I was playing on Hard, but I hardly ever got the chance to use hand to hand. They would just shoot me to death if I stayed out of cover for longer than 3 seconds.

It really is Gears of War + Tomb Raider... which is a great thing, IMO.

The God Of War comparisons are confusing to me. Other than the overall production values, what about the game did you guys think felt like God of War? Or am I crazy and you meant to say Gears. :)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Thug Larz said:
Just finished the game today on Hard. I really enjoyed it.

Length felt good. Nice graphics. A very solid game.

Also, the hand to hand combat didn't really come into play all that often. Maybe because I was playing on Hard, but I hardly ever got the chance to use hand to hand. They would just shoot me to death if I stayed out of cover for longer than 3 seconds.
Hand combat is great when sneaking up on enmies. From what I have played so far, I have used hand combat quite a bit to avoid being detected. One you pull your gun out and reload enemies quickly spot you.

Actually, the initial feeling of "oh, so like Gears of War then?" were washed away rather quickly once the combat mechanics and the sheer range of motion that Drake has set in. I approached the demo with the mindset that it'd play a bit like Gears, and of course the combat then sucked. But once I started viewing it as its own damned game, everything fell into place. So beyond theoretical similarities, there doesn't seem to be much of a real basis for comparison.

God of War comparisons may seem like a stretch too, and it is, but there are definitely moments of platforming where it gives you that God of War vibe.

h3ro

the_id said:

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
PistolGrip said:
Hand combat is great when sneaking up on enmies. From what I have played so far, I have used hand combat quite a bit to avoid being detected. One you pull your gun out and reload enemies quickly spot you.

Really?

On one stage I jumped on some guy's back and snapped his shit and that got agro even though nobody could have possibly saw it (or they would have agroed when i poped out in the first place).

I was kinda dissapointed.

Synless

Sol.. said:
Really?

On one stage I jumped on some guy's back and snapped his shit and that got agro even though nobody could have possibly saw it (or they would have agroed when i poped out in the first place).

I was kinda dissapointed.
That happens every single time after the part when your on the run and you get back with the girl in the beginning of the game, as soon as the stage starts and you start to head back into the ruins there is one guy who is walking if you break his neck even though there's no one around they all come at you from around the corner inside the ruin.

crustikid

awesome, awesome game. i was kinda cheesed at the end, but overall i was very impressed.

monsters/spanish reminded me of the things from the new will smith movie, i am legend.

chespace said:

Uncharted environmental geometry is much more complex than AC. Character models in Uncharted are much more complex (and detailed) than AC.

Platforming was shallow?

I'm sure you got a kick out of holding 2 buttons and 'free running' while everything was done for you. That's not shallow at all.

People don't take you seriously because you honestly come off as a really REALLY 'anti-PS3' MS employee.

But hey, that's only because you've taken pretty much every chance you can at any PS3 game to sell is short in some way shape or form in comparison to other games. Those who know your post history know why you have the tag you do.

wowfactor

Banned
chespace said:

who gives a sh*t about what you said.
Go get a life.

Kittonwy

Banned
Synless said:
That happens every single time after the part when your on the run and you get back with the girl in the beginning of the game, as soon as the stage starts and you start to head back into the ruins there is one guy who is walking if you break his neck even though there's no one around they all come at you from around the corner inside the ruin.

Really? I thought maybe there's one guy there.

Top Bottom