• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Madman

JB1981 said:
If they maintain 60fps, I doubt it will look anywhere near as good as this game.
The God of War team did insane shit on the PS2, and none of the programmers have left the team. You can pretty much guarentee God of War 3 will look amazing.

Awntawn

Sol.. said:
Really?

On one stage I jumped on some guy's back and snapped his shit and that got agro even though nobody could have possibly saw it (or they would have agroed when i poped out in the first place).

I was kinda dissapointed.
I know for a fact that I managed to get the drop on 4 guys before anyone realized I was there, it was the segment that was in the demo, that first open encounter. You gotta make sure no one sees the body also.

Elhandro

there is a shit ton immaturity going on in this thread. Stop hating gaf. I am really enjoying the game right now but it does have its issues. I'll have to revisit rid thread when finished but so far its a solid 9.

Kittonwy

Banned
Madman said:
The God of War team did insane shit on the PS2, and none of the programmers have left the team. You can pretty much guarentee God of War 3 will look amazing.

I wish they would open up the camera though, one of the great things about Uncharted is that you can look around and just check out everything and see how Drake's flashlight would cast shadows on the environments or Elena, or walk around Elena when she has her torch, things like that.

Madman

Kittonwy said:
I wish they would open up the camera though, one of the great things about Uncharted is that you can look around and just check out everything and see how Drake's flashlight would cast shadows on the environments or Elena, or walk around Elena when she has her torch, things like that.
I'm fine with a fixed camera. A camera like that probably wouldn't work in GoW and it allows them to really push graphically. That said, I have no doubt GoW will impress.

Kittonwy

Banned
Madman said:
I'm fine with a fixed camera. A camera like that probably wouldn't work in GoW and it allows them to really push graphically. That said, I have no doubt GoW will impress.

Other than the right stick dodge it should work, right? DMC3 had a free camera (somewhat) and NG had a free camera (in the way that you can reset it behind the character's back and when you aim at stuff). I think the ability to look around really ups that immersive factor, something that Uncharted no doubt enjoys. In God of War I'm occasionally reminded of the fact that the room I'm in is just three walls and a floor really, no ceiling, no sky above, everything is culled or worse, that ceiling doesn't even exist because the artist never made it, because the camera was never going to show it.

Elhandro said:
there is a shit ton immaturity going on in this thread. Stop hating gaf. I am really enjoying the game right now but it does have its issues. I'll have to revisit rid thread when finished but so far its a solid 9.
I'm pretty sure no one is doubting that, just 'laughing' at certain people who point out this games faults, whilst ignoring anothers, then saying it's better...'by far'.

No one said the game doesn't have it's faults, lol.

vpance

Playing through crushing got me thinking of a few ideas to enhance the combat gameplay. Tell me what you think.

Score 2 headshots in a row:
-Lets you run to the next piece of cover with much less chance of damage, or
-Run up and melee the next enemy with much less chance of damage, or
-Cook a grenade

Kill 2 enemies without missing any shots (not head shots):
-Blindfire becomes more accurate, like auto-aim

Each bonus has a limited time of opportunity and could be indicated by a slight change in the graphics, like a bit more bloom, and then Drake could say something cool as well. Just some quick ideas, didnt think about it too much. So, too gamey or what? It occured to me when playing through crushing, moving around from cover-to-cover wasnt really viable anymore, same with melee. I would just end up staying behind 1 piece of cover mostly. Something like this could make firefights more dynamic.

Madman

Kittonwy said:
Other than the right stick dodge it should work, right? DMC3 had a free camera (somewhat) and NG had a free camera (in the way that you can reset it behind the character's back and when you aim at stuff). I think the ability to look around really ups that immersive factor, something that Uncharted no doubt enjoys. In God of War I'm occasionally reminded of the fact that the room I'm in is just three walls and a floor really, no ceiling, no sky above, everything is culled or worse, that ceiling doesn't even exist because the artist never made it, because the camera was never going to show it.
Ninja Gaiden had a free camera, but it taught me why they used a fixed camera in GoW. When you are in a fight, the last thing you want to worry about is the camera. And in NG, most of the fight was the camera. I know the fixed camera allows shortcuts, and I welcome any and all of them. Those shortcuts mean more time and effort elseware. The last thing GoW needs is a change to it's core.

vpance said:
Playing through crushing got me thinking of a few ideas to enhance the combat gameplay. Tell me what you think.

Score 2 headshots in a row:
-Lets you run to the next piece of cover with much less chance of damage, or
-Run up and melee the next enemy with much less chance of damage, or
-Cook a grenade

Kill 2 enemies without missing any shots (not head shots):
-Blindfire becomes more accurate, like auto-aim

Each bonus has a limited time of opportunity and could be indicated by a slight change in the graphics, like a bit more bloom, and then Drake could say something cool as well. Just some quick ideas, didnt think about it too much. So, too gamey or what? It occured to me when playing through crushing, moving around from cover-to-cover wasnt really viable anymore, same with melee. I would just end up staying behind 1 piece of cover mostly. Something like this could make firefights more dynamic.

Call of Duty 4?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got to the monastery - things are starting to get creepy (loved Elena's comments about El Dorado picture from that book). It has also started to get dark in the game, and I have a feeling that's going to somehow reflect on the overall atmosphere as well.

The whole drowned city architecture is amazing looking and the gunfights there were some of the most fun so far. I know some didn't liked it, but I have to say I really enjoyed the 2nd ride on the water skis. I used both manual aiming, and Elena's auto shoot mode, and got through it on 3rd attempt, but it was a fun ride all along - not mention extremely impressive looking, and the kind of thing I've never seen before in a game (driving against fluid dynamics? at least it feels like that).

Sol.. said:
Really?

On one stage I jumped on some guy's back and snapped his shit and that got agro even though nobody could have possibly saw it (or they would have agroed when i poped out in the first place).

I was kinda dissapointed.
I just did the same (jumped on the back, snapped his neck) and the pirates on some staircase above (who weren't looking at my direction) didn't notice a thing. It is indeed a stealth kill, but you have to be careful when and where you pull it off

vpance

The free camera in NGS never bothered me too much. I thought the auto tracking was pretty decent. Even when an enemy went off screen for a second or something I'd just keep hitting the combos.

I do wonder how much GoW will impress though. All those reports of people putting in massive hours and feeling unrewarded kind of makes me think the next one wont be pushing too many boundries for fear of making things too hard on themselves.

SRG01

I just finished the catacombs and I'm now on Chapter 16. The game has seriously taken a turn towards creepy. :lol

Poigea

Just beat the game. WOW! So much fun and
Holy shit at the "Spaniards." The whole last couple of chapters were CREEPY! I was not expecting that at all.
The whole last third of the game was intense and I couldn't stop playing. Great job Naughty Dog, I definitely hope they turn this into a series.

J-Rzez

Glad to see this game is being compared to RE4, GoW, TR, and Gears. All these titles have been genre defining to many. So, the game's being thought of as all of these combined, with it's own incredible story, says a lot about the game.

And yes, the game does have some scary RE 1/2 elements when
Walking down the hallways before you flip the switches. I was at edge like I was after the first time the dogs jumped through the windows of the main house in RE1 and the lickers scattering across the windows of the police station in RE2.

Pimpwerx

Beat it an hour ago on Normal. Probably 15 hours in all getting all treasures, though I could be off. It might be longer. Amazing game. Graphics are insane, but just a fun story with some fantastic voice acting and characters. The gunplay was fun as all hell, with well-placed checkpoints so no one fight ever gets too bothersome.

After the credits, I started again no Hard. After that, I'll beat it on Crushing. This'll be a fun game to pop in randomly just to peel caps. I already know what my favorite chapters are.

This game MUST BE in every PS3 collection. But from my personal experience over the weekend, there are lots of unpurchased copies sitting on shelves. Either they overshipped, or this game ain't sell well. I don't see anyone on my friend list with it either. PEACE.

kassatsu

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
This game MUST BE in every PS3 collection. But from my personal experience over the weekend, there are lots of unpurchased copies sitting on shelves. Either they overshipped, or this game ain't sell well. I don't see anyone on my friend list with it either. PEACE.
My friends list is only this and COD4.

patsu

SRG01 said:
I just finished the catacombs and I'm now on Chapter 16. The game has seriously taken a turn towards creepy. :lol

Heh heh... and I thought I was a whimp.
I basically switched exclusively to first person gun sight view for the entire level once I survived the initial attack. It slowed the game pace to a crawl, but at least I felt safer. I also turned around from time to time just to check nothing was behind me. :lol Damn P51 took a long time to reload too

Kittonwy

Banned
kassatsu said:
My friends list is only this and COD4.

Most of the people on my list have Uncharted.
angry.gif

Chris R

I just tried the demo again and still don't like this game. Doesn't help that I hate shooters in general with gamepads :( really wish I could just hook a mouse up :lol I really do want to play the game through though since it looks like it has a nice story, the characters are interesting and the graphics are stellar.

eh, people shouldnt hate on che too much, he is usually down on most ps3 games, but he doesnt troll really, he just has a clear preference, just like most people in this thread, general consensus is pretty high on the game anyway....

And, if you are going with explorable scope, AC is prob more impressive, but Im not exactly sure how it is more impressive graphically, half the things he is mentioning dont exactly pertain to graphics....certainly, lighting and texturing are in no way superior in AC...

YYZ

I've devised the perfect way to do the water battle in chapter 5, I'll upload the video soon. This walkthrough is going to take FOREVER.

SaitoH

Good lord this thread gets annoying at times ...

Anyway, I beat the cistern section of Chapter 5 on crushing. Was quite tough because I've gotten used to utilizing good cover and falling back. Neither of which you could do in that section. Worst of all, between the flankers and rushers you're really don't have time to be careful either.

I must say that crushing is quite fun because you really have rethink and hone your strategy.

SaitoH

YYZ said:
I've devised the perfect way to do the water battle in chapter 5, I'll upload the video soon. This walkthrough is going to take FOREVER.

Cool, I'll be interested to see how you did it and how much it varies from what I did.

Maybe it's because I've been up since yesterday morning but I'm fucking stuck and have no clue how to proceed.
I'm at the part where you have to follow the roman numerals and there is a water wheel that's stuck
halp?

deepbrown

MickeyKnox said:
Maybe it's because I've been up since yesterday morning but I'm fucking stuck and have no clue how to proceed.
I'm at the part where you have to follow the roman numerals and there is a water wheel that's stuck
halp?
Make it unstuck?

Just got my game this morning. All I'll say is HOLYSHITWOW! :D

I love it. I've played probably an hours worth and already there's been some fantastic moments. Great story, awesome dialogue (so funny some of the stuff), cool characters and unbelievable graphics. Such nice touches throughout, I'm totally hooked.

This is already my contender for GOTY and I thought GOWII had that set in stone and nothing was going to touch that.

Wow!

deepbrown said:
Make it unstuck?
I don't know what the fuck is wrong with it. It gives the prompt to press /_\ but it won't budge. Then the handle randomly moved down but Drake's animation was the same as when he was hanging on to the bar, except he was just hanging on air.

Wollan

EU release date is December 7th.

Dear diary

Day 10. I'm still stuck. Uncharted didn't arrive today either.
My skin is itching. I peeled a piece off. I ate it. Itchy, tasty.
I can't sleep anymore. Wounds won't heal. Constantly bleeding.
I don't know what I will do next.

Ceb

MickeyKnox said:
I don't know what the fuck is wrong with it. It gives the prompt to press /_\ but it won't budge. Then the handle randomly moved down but Drake's animation was the same as when he was hanging on to the bar, except he was just hanging on air.

Did you just press triangle once or did you hammer the button?

SaitoH said:
Odd ... it should just work. There's nothing special you have to do before hand.
Are you serious? I climb up the wall then up the stairs, he says "This oughta be good for something" then at the bar the Triangle prompt comes up, I press it, he gets in position, then it gives the press triangle repeatedly prompt but as soon as I hit the button he strains and the bar moves about 2 inches before he disengages it.
Ceb said:
Did you just press triangle once or did you hammer the button?
I've tried every possible way one can press a face button, lightly, strongly, mashed furiously, the second I hit the face button the animation starts and drops.

Kosma

Banned
Only could squeeze in 20 min before I had to go to Uni but I already love it. The dialogue and story are genuinly interesting and very funny, and the visuals are just sick. Amazing contrast to COD4 I just finished this morning, after all those hours in drab and depressing Sovjet style architecture this jungle and vibrant colors are such a welcome change of scenery.

womfalcs3

Banned
What the hell am I supposed to do when
the monsters run after me in droves? There was something written at the bottom of the screen but I didn't pay attention to it and now it won't appear anymore. I can get past the first wave of them, but the second one always gets me.

Ok that was ridiculous, I said fuck it and reset the game and now the wheel turned without a problem.

:/ weird glitch.

But the game is Sauce so far.

Gattsu25

Banned
Bebpo said:
Uncharted had it a lot though. Worse than Gears or ME.
I'm late to the response but after reading this I think My 360 must be broken because ME is the worst I've *ever* seen in regards to slow texture streaming.

I still prefer texture streaming issues to loading screens

deepbrown

MickeyKnox said:
Ok that was ridiculous, I said fuck it and reset the game and now the wheel turned without a problem.

:/ weird glitch.

But the game is Sauce so far.
I had trouble with it, but turned out I wasn't pressing triangle fast enough...the thumb isn't quick enough.

womfalcs3 said:
What the hell am I supposed to do when
the monsters run after me in droves? There was something written at the bottom of the screen but I didn't pay attention to it and now it won't appear anymore. I can get past the first wave of them, but the second one always gets me.
Blind fire, don't aim.

deepbrown

Are bullet holes 3d? You know when you shoot a wall...is it just shading, or does it actually make a 3d indentation?

Plus Naughty Dog need to speak to their friends over at Insomniac about Glass. Some of it doesn't break when shot at, and if it does, it's just a canned break.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
deepbrown said:
Are bullet holes 3d? You know when you shoot a wall...is it just shading, or does it actually make a 3d indentation?

Plus Naughty Dog need to speak to their friends over at Insomniac about Glass. Some of it doesn't break when shot at, and if it does, it's just a canned break.

lol, i wish a had a screenshot example

resistance = best broken/cracked window/glass ever!:lol

WoW, 'bout time my PS3 purchase is justified. I loved Ratchet but it was more of the same, and Resistance is a good shooter but the bar went way up this year with CoD4, Halo, and OB. Love the graphics, animation, the platforming is great because of the responsive controls and the characters have a lot of life in them.

deepbrown

~Devil Trigger~ said:
lol, i wish a had a screenshot example

resistance = best broken/cracked window/glass ever!:lol
There really is no contest. Resistance does have the best glass ever. No contest. Generally the reaction of different objects to bullets is really good in Uncharted...love shooting at trees and skulls etc, watching the mortar fall off walls. But glass...sometimes it doesn't do a thing. Only a minor thing though :p

Top Bottom