• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Basch

deepbrown said:
Are bullet holes 3d? You know when you shoot a wall...is it just shading, or does it actually make a 3d indentation?

Plus Naughty Dog need to speak to their friends over at Insomniac about Glass. Some of it doesn't break when shot at, and if it does, it's just a canned break.

Well, if my memory serves right, Resistance had canned animations when breaking glass as well. It just seems that whenever I tried to break out the windows the first hit would cause a hole to appear in the glass, wherever I hit it, and the second time I would hit it, the glass breaks apart and falls to the ground. Canned or not, Resistance has some nice glass breaking effects. :D

deepbrown

Basch said:
Well, if my memory serves right, Resistance had canned animations when breaking glass as well. It just seems that whenever I tried to break out the windows the first hit would cause a hole to appear in the glass, wherever I hit it, and the second time I would hit it, the glass breaks apart and falls to the ground. Canned or not, Resistance has some nice glass breaking effects. :D
Well not to Uncharted's extreme...I shot out the windows of a jeep and the glass just disappeared leaving a jagged glass edge. Or most of the time...the glass wouldn't break at all. Resistance's is much better...and reactive, just lightly shot it and watch the cracks form, or throw a grenade through them.

Then again Insomniac had three people doing glass. Whereas at Naughty Dog they had a group of people making the best water in a console game...and the best textures in a console game. Making ever texture unique...and makes the game look incredible.

Basch

deepbrown said:
Well not to Uncharted's extreme...I shot out the windows of a jeep and the glass just disappeared leaving a jagged glass edge. Or most of the time...the glass wouldn't break at all. Resistance's is much better...and reactive, just lightly shot it and watch the cracks form, or throw a grenade through them.

Then again Insomniac had three people doing glass. Whereas at Naughty Dog they had a group of people making the best water in a console game...and the best textures in a console game. Making ever texture unique...and makes the game look incredible.

Goodness! That is a lot of people just for glass. It sure does show though. And vice versa for Uncharted's water effects. Hey, does anybody like Resistance here. Resistance 2 has been confirmed not too long ago. The game was also given a release date of late 2008. I was trying to start a discussion but it seems no one wants to participate. Maybe it is just that Uncharted has everyone all excited. In that case, I can't wait to play it. :D

deepbrown

Basch said:
Goodness! That is a lot of people just for glass. It sure does show though. And vice versa for Uncharted's water effects. Hey, does anybody like Resistance here. Resistance 2 has been confirmed not too long ago for a late 2008 release. I was trying to start a discussion but it seems no one wants to participate. Maybe it is just that Uncharted has everyone all excited. In that case, I can't wait to play it. :D
I think it was three...might have been one lol. I dunno...but more than other developers!

http://www.ripten.com/2007/11/24/psm3-resistance-2-in-2008-syphon-filter-ps3-in-2009/

:D

Basch

my brother in law and I played and beat the game over the weekend. Such a great and pretty experience. I loved the tomb raider, indiana jones of it all.

Madman

Basch said:
Well, if my memory serves right, Resistance had canned animations when breaking glass as well.
I don't think they were canned. IIRC, it took one guy six months to make the glass for Resistance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
There really is no contest. Resistance does have the best glass ever. No contest. Generally the reaction of different objects to bullets is really good in Uncharted...love shooting at trees and skulls etc, watching the mortar fall off walls. But glass...sometimes it doesn't do a thing. Only a minor thing though :p
Wait a sec - what trees can you shoot in Uncharted? I didn't know trees would even react to shooting.

Basch

Madman said:
I don't think they were canned. IIRC, it took one guy six months to make the glass for Resistance.

I guess the best way to test it would be to throw a grenade at the window. And when I was referring to canned I meant the animation where the last bits of glass break apart. Sorry if that wasn't clear. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:

Insomniac uses a custom glass shader that give you dynamic glass damage, it's actually quite advanced stuff.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Wait a sec - what trees can you shoot in Uncharted? I didn't know trees would even react to shooting.
Well bullet holes...that's what I meant. On the jeep bit I suggest you don't stop shooting as all the trees you shoot will fall over :p

Finally beat the game this friday I was trying to stall as long as I possibly could I just didn't want the game to end. But it did and man absolutely my game of the year by far I haven't had so much fun playing a game since Okami.

Laurent

Just finished it...
I think Naughty Dog showed a nice alternative to Resident Evil and Doom 3 near the end, with all those freaky creatures jumping from nowhere in dark alleys with a flashlight... Great moments!

Laurent said:
Just finished it...
I think Naughty Dog showed a nice alternative to Resident Evil and Doom 3 near the end, with all those freaky creatures jumping from nowhere in dark alleys with a flashlight... Great moments!

Yeah that whole last hour and a half is so epic and feels right out of a Indiana Jones movie.

Basch

Kittonwy said:
Insomniac uses a custom glass shader that give you dynamic glass damage, it's actually quite advanced stuff.

Awesome! I guess I must have missed some of this. Makes me wonder how. Now I want to go home and play some more Resistance. It will be a long wait as well as I cannot play it until around 9:00 tonight.

andycapps

I can't wait to get this game at Christmas, already shows that someone bought it for me off my Amazon Wish List (yes I'm one of those tools, but my parents asked myself and the wife to get one as they never know what to get us). The demo is the most fun I've had in quite some time. I played through it several times before I could beat it, but each time I was getting beaten by the AI I was laughing because of the ways that I was getting killed by the AI. Laughing in that they were actually smart and capable of killing me, unlike in most games where they try to overwhelm you by shere numbers.

The little details of the enemies lowering themselves down from the walls to get to me, or them shooting the barrel that I was stupidly standing next to, etc made me appreciate how good of a job that Naughty Dog did with the animation and AI. That's not to mention the graphics, which are certainly on par with, if not exceeding, anything else I've seen out there.

Basch said:
No way the glass is just amazing in Resistance it breaks differently and spiderwebs where you shoot at it.

Madman

Basch said:
I guess the best way to test it would be to throw a grenade at the window. And when I was referring to canned I meant the animation where the last bits of glass break apart. Sorry if that wasn't clear. :D
I have played with Resistance's glass A LOT. Including throwing multiple grenades through identical windows. It breaks dynamically. You can even chip off pieces.

andycapps said:
I can't wait to get this game at Christmas, already shows that someone bought it for me off my Amazon Wish List (yes I'm one of those tools, but my parents asked myself and the wife to get one as they never know what to get us). The demo is the most fun I've had in quite some time. I played through it several times before I could beat it, but each time I was getting beaten by the AI I was laughing because of the ways that I was getting killed by the AI. Laughing in that they were actually smart and capable of killing me, unlike in most games where they try to overwhelm you by shere numbers.

The little details of the enemies lowering themselves down from the walls to get to me, or them shooting the barrel that I was stupidly standing next to, etc made me appreciate how good of a job that Naughty Dog did with the animation and AI. That's not to mention the graphics, which are certainly on par with, if not exceeding, anything else I've seen out there.

same situation...christmas it is..and yes, as big fan as I am of the Jak games...this looks even better...most likely my game of the year, baring FFXII

How absolutely bad ass is it when you go back to the
Monastary for the second time close to sundown and you go to take the snipers all down and the guys are rushing you from the front and the then try and flank you from the back. Damn by that point you can do such bad ass stuff jump out of cover snipe a sniper off the ledge run to the pious blind fire your shotty or dessert eagle
into a guys chest then quick tossing a grenade in the center of the aisle blowing everyone to hell ahhhhhh so bad ass.

Basch

Madman said:
I have played with Resistance's glass A LOT. Including throwing multiple grenades through identical windows. It breaks dynamically. You can even chip off pieces.

Wow! I don't know what I was doing. I should have noticed this. I am going to play the game again tonight so I can continue the Campaign on Hard, but I know what I will be messing around with. Sounds very dynamic. Sorry Insomniac if you were reading my previous accusation. My poor eyesight must really be affecting me. :lol

I don't have a PS3 anymore :( I was half way through the game and enjoying every second of it until my friend took his PS3 back :(

I was bored so...

i_dunno_drake.jpg

Anyone else able to stealth kill all 13 or 14 guys
after you drop out of the monastary window into the courtyard
took me fricken forever but I finally got all of them. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
same situation...christmas it is..and yes, as big fan as I am of the Jak games...this looks even better...most likely my game of the year, baring FFXII

I don't know how you guys can wait so long for this game, I didn't even wait for EB to let me buy my pre-order, when TRU broke the street date I just went and got it from there and started playing it the minute I got home rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

andycapps

Kittonwy said:
I don't know how you guys can wait so long for this game, I didn't even wait for EB to let me buy my pre-order, when TRU broke the street date I just went and got it from there and started playing it the minute I got home rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

For me it is just that I don't the money for it. Believe me, I'd love to go out and buy about 5 games right now, but just can't afford to. Christmas is a long way away, but with the little amount of time I have for games, Resistance MP still keeps me going as does COD4 that I'm borrowing from a friend. So good... But yes, I'll be jumping on the Uncharted Drake's Schicksel AFW hype train in about a month!

I made a grave mistake when I was playing through the game the first time on hard I didnt set out from the beginning to get all the achievement points thinking I would focus on those the next time through. But....now that I am going through on crushing getting the achievements is proving to be a hell of a lot harder than it would have been. Thank god I already have all the headshot ones out of the way with the way these guys break dance there is no way I could get them all.

To anyone on this thread that is just perusing you owe it to yourself if you love games at all to do whatever you can to play this game its seriously probably besides SMG the experience of the year.

Forsete

Elbrain said:
Hey if 5 people can do that they are dedicated in my book but there is no way in hell only 5 people did that.

Who posted?

Loudninja 608
deepbrown 483
Kittonwy 337
Firewire 283
Dante 174
BruceLeeRoy 156
Marconelly 145
Wollan 143
PistolGrip 142
Anastacio 125

Kosma

Banned
JESUS CRYSIS EXPLODING BARRELS!

So yeah I got my copy today from VGP and played until the part where the demo starts.
This is the most polished and beautiful game I have ever played. Unless it all turns sour somehow this is my GOTY for sure. How come this game isn't getting straight 10's everywhere?

Every PS3 should owner should get this game, and for those without a PS3 I highly recommend that you get one pronto.

Forsete said:
Who posted?

Loudninja 608
deepbrown 483
Kittonwy 337
Firewire 283
Dante 174
BruceLeeRoy 156
Marconelly 145
Wollan 143
PistolGrip 142
Anastacio 125

How did you count that? How much did I post?

oo Kosma oo said:
JESUS CRYSIS EXPLODING BARRELS!

So yeah I got my copy today from VGP and played until the part where the demo starts.
This is the most polished and beautiful game I have ever played. Unless it all turns sour somehow this is my GOTY for sure. How come this game isn't getting straight 10's everywhere?

Every PS3 should owner should get this game, and for those without a PS3 I highly recommend that you get one pronto.

How did you count that? How much did I post?

Ahhhh I am so excited for you man get ready to poop your pants several times.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Forsete said:
Who posted?

Loudninja 608
deepbrown 483
Kittonwy 337
Firewire 283
Dante 174
BruceLeeRoy 156
Marconelly 145
Wollan 143
PistolGrip 142
Anastacio 125

Thats around a couple thousand but still very committed bunch just shows how much they love the game. I would post more but my damn HD tv not arriving is preventing from posting more stuff.

Elbrain said:
Thats around a couple thousand but still very committed bunch just shows how much they love the game. I would post more but my damn HD tv not arriving is preventing from posting more stuff.

I can understand that this is certainly a game you want to play on a HD set.

Dyno

Laurent said:
Just finished it...

I agree!

They gave no hint of a supernatural aspect to the story. They also left it until the very end when I'm sure most players thought that the game wouldn't through anything new at them. It was masterfully done.

I finished Uncharted in four days, I devoured this game. Everything was so polished, it stands out as a flawless game. Will play again. Desert Eagle and Grenade Launcher are the only weapons I didn't get my Kill Medals on. Must get better at melee.

Top Bottom