• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Basch

I don't know why people are saying there is nothing ground breaking. Sure, it is not the first action/adventure game to feature platforming and gunplay. But, it does feature the best animation video games has ever seen: animation blending/layering. On top of that, it also features top notch texture work, depth of field and motion blur done right, amazingly well done voice work that engages the player, and some nice music to boot. The fighting, in my opinion, is how combat should be done: timing, 3D positioning, and realistic movements. Plus, Uncharted is the first game to have 4D elements down pat. One of my favorite features, though, is that there is no health bar: it all relies on luck. In my opinion, all that combined is pretty ground breaking.

deepbrown

Wario64 said:
I heard Nathan gets naked at one point of the game, Raiden style
s_horned.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:
I don't know why people are saying there is nothing ground breaking. Sure, it is not the first action/adventure game to feature platforming and gunplay. But, it does feature the best animation video games has ever seen: animation blending/layering. On top of that, it also features top notch texture work, depth of field and motion blur done right, amazingly well done voice work that engages the player, and some nice music to boot. The fighting, in my opinion, is how combat should be done: timing, 3D positioning, and realistic movements. Plus, Uncharted is the first game to have 4D elements down pat. One of my favorite features, though, is that there is no health bar: it all relies on luck. In my opinion, all that combined is pretty ground breaking.

Yep.
Indifferent2.gif

Azsori

Basch said:
4D as in graphics effected by environmental conditions and time. :D

A lot of people seem to not understand this concept and think 4d means a whole alternate dimension or something.

Oh Intro to physics, you taught me so much....

deepbrown

Azsori said:
A lot of people seem to not understand this concept and think 4d means a whole alternate dimension or something.

Oh Intro to physics, you taught me so much....

Who is that FIT person in your pic?

VonGak!

Banned
Basch said:
But are water and dirt added procedurally to the cloth textures?

It could also be pre-baked like in Tomb Raider.

deepbrown

Azsori said:
Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima. I am starting to think she is being too much of a distraction, :lol.

Anyway I feel bad for contributing to too many off topic things here, so I'll try to reconcile. How do you guys think ND will integrate Uncharted into Home?

OH SORRY! I meant to ask Basch, not you. Oops.

Basch said:

Who's that FIT person in your pic? :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loudninja said:
Good news guys!
Other playable charatcers confirmed!for you next play though
What?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO. IS IT TRUE?!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
What??? other characters... hmmm hope its good.

Ok going home. I cant stay here while my job blocks Youtube and gamevideos, its torture

VonGak!

Banned
Reminds me, that "reviews without scores" philosophy is great.

I mean, the game reporter will be somewhat forced to go more into detail, no more Graphics = XX/10 without any elaboration. Instead the reporter will have to describe the good and bad things in detail.

Personally I'm feed up with reviews where the reporter doesn't go in depth but instead uses the score to tell the story. I want to have a feeling of the reporter actually having played the game (I bet we all have experienced countless reviews where the reporter overlook essential parts of the game and often even write untrue/misinformed things while being vague... on purpose?).

Review scores are for indexing games, not shortcuts for the reviewers.

The use of decimal scores also annoy me, games should instead be split up into categories like: AFW, Great, Playable, Stay Away without differing between the games in each category.
Then we'd also avoid the silly Mario Tennis is better than MGS3 or this game scored a perfect 10.
And let's be realistic, the reporters aren't qualified to differ between games at a 1:100 resolution. ^.^ Not many people are.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
VonGak! said:
Reminds me, that "reviews without scores" philosophy is great.

I mean, the game reporter will be somewhat forced to go more into detail, no more Graphics = XX/10 without any elaboration. Instead the reporter will have to describe the good and bad things in detail.

Personally I'm feed up with reviews where the reporter doesn't go in depth but instead uses the score to tell the story. I want to have a feeling of the reporter actually having played the game (I bet we all have experienced countless reviews where the reporter overlook essential parts of the game and often even write untrue/misinformed things while being vague... on purpose?).

Review scores are for indexing games, not shortcuts for the reviewers.

The use of decimal scores also annoy me, games should instead be split up into categories like: AFW, Great, Playable, Stay Away without differing between the games in each category.
Then we'd also avoid the silly Mario Tennis is better than MGS3 or this game scored a perfect 10.
And let's be realistic, the reporters aren't qualified to differ between games at a 1:100 resolution. ^.^ Not many people are.

I like scores but when they can be balanced out. Scores give me a quick way to see if something is worth it more than another. Problem is there is no guide or ruler for criticism. If this game has this amount of sparks do we score it higher? Its unquantifiable so therefore we should not quantify it. So in other words I agree with you.

One big thing that annoys me is how sports games get higher scores. Even worst is the fact that sequels get scored better than original IP and then journalist/gamers have the nerve to wonder why there a very few original IPs. I think the people that branch out should be awarded not punished.

Firewire

Banned
PistolGrip said:
should we go back to predicting gamespot scores.

Gamespot:

"You get to play with other characters" - What the hell. Uncharted has to much variety therefore we are forced to lower our score from 7.0 to 5.5"

Top Bottom