• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

jiggle

Wario64 said:
Cutscenes are in real time though, aren't they?

There's probably some slight loading times for the cutscenes I'm sure...if not, that's just too crazy. They probably refer to gameplay when they say no loading. Which I guess is more important.

in the first 10 minutes video
a plane swooped in during the gun fight, screen turns black for 1 second that leads into the next CS

DrXym

Wario64 said:

There's probably some slight loading times for the cutscenes I'm sure...if not, that's just too crazy. They probably refer to gameplay when they say no loading. Which I guess is more important.

I'm guessing they're doing level loading how it's done in Heavenly Sword or The Darkness. You get to watch a cut scene while it happens. The problem there is you can't skip the cutscene, or if you can it gets replaced by a progress bar.

I would hope no game does loading in-level these days, just at the transition between one zone and the next.

The cutscenes in HS get very annoying especially when you're trying to beat a boss for the Nth time.

VonGak!

Banned
PistolGrip said:
I like scores but when they can be balanced out. Scores give me a quick way to see if something is worth it more than another. Problem is there is no guide or ruler for criticism. If this game has this amount of sparks do we score it higher? Its unquantifiable so therefore we should not quantify it. So in other words I agree with you.

One big thing that annoys me is how sports games get higher scores. Even worst is the fact that sequels get scored better than original IP and then journalist/gamers have the nerve to wonder why there a very few original IPs. I think the people that branch out should be awarded not punished.

Exactly, it's quite hard to score a sports game when it's just a little better than the previous installment but without actually contributing with anything new.
The score automatically climbs.

Game quality and type tagging (platforming, FPS, TPS, Puzzle,...) would IMO be a better way to index games, perhaps differing between MP and SP should also be included.
Wario64 said:

In the game-play videos there were no loading at all between cut-scenes and according to the lead character designer Diamant at B3D they do not have different character models for cut-scenes and game-play but use the same. ^.^ Which also makes sense when the facial animations during game-play are procedurally generated in real time.

DrXym said:
I would hope no game does loading in-level these days, just at the transition between one zone and the next.

??? I'm not sure if I got that. But just like God of War and the Jack games Uncharted is most likely to constantly load during game-play, especially during traversal (just consider how much easier it is to predict what to load compared to games like GTA and Getaway).

Also there should be no loading time when a cut-scene is skipped as long as the next game-play portion use the same assets.
Anyway, ND to my knowledge have always been quite good to place save spots so cut-scenes wouldn't be of annoyance.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Bailey's Dad said:
I hope they allow you to pause cutscenes like they did with the Jak games.
I remember playnig Jak 2, entering an awesome cutscene... and a sudden urge to use the bathroom.

you mean that I was holding in my pee for nothing?

Pachimari

VonGak! said:
Also there should be no loading time when a cut-scene is skipped as long as the next game-play portion use the same assets.
Anyway, ND to my knowledge have always been quite good to place save spots so cut-scenes wouldn't be of annoyance.
And the save spots are awesomely placed in Uncharted as well. It cought me by surprise actually, that I started just were I wanted to start after I died.

Y2Kev said:
The EGM live podcast info session made this game sound like GOLD jerry.
Especially when the Naughty Dog guy started giggling saying

"We mad A LOT of improvements towards the last few weeks of production and really surpassed all of our expectations!" :D
Loudninja said:
Gamer TV SPECIAL - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for PS3 PT1/3* much better quality, and spoilers*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BetFuPWknLI

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtjBxDlpCoA

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QzLChD90Ks

:D
Must resist new media!

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
Gamer TV SPECIAL - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for PS3 PT1/3* much better quality, and spoilers*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BetFuPWknLI

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtjBxDlpCoA

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QzLChD90Ks

:D

OHOHOH DEMO IN TWO DAYZ I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!!
cry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Anastacio said:
And the save spots are awesomely placed in Uncharted as well. It cought me by surprise actually, that I started just were I wanted to start after I died.

That's awesome, I wonder how much effort they put into focus-testing and tuning this thing, it seems like they were really going for that polish. :3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
InterMoniker said:
Especially when the Naughty Dog guy started giggling saying

"We mad A LOT of improvements towards the last few weeks of production and really surpassed all of our expectations!" :D
Must resist new media!

....M mMust

Pachimari

So it looks like this now; I'll buy:

American version = Videogamesplus.ca
European version = local Internet store
Japanese version = Where??
German version = Where??

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
I'll tell you; I like this game so much; and I'm a hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan, and haven't been waiting for a game this much since MGS2. And the american and european covers are different, the japanese version is named El Dorado no Hihou, and the German version has the almighty Shickshall on it.

But I'm so worried that I will get extra VAT on top of the price when they send to scandinavia..

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
I'll tell you; I like this game so much; and I'm a hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan, and haven't been waiting for a game this much since MGS2. And the american and european covers are different, the japanese version is named El Dorado no Hihou, and the German version has the almight Shickshall on it.

But I'm so worried that I will get extra VAT on top of the price when they send to scandinavia..
OK...but you're going to get to play it for free anywho...

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
OK...but you're going to get to play it for free anywho...
That too (it's for debug) and maybe get a promo (review copy) as well, but I like to have the full packaging with this game as well. =)
Maybe I'll just buy one copy and then buy some other big games this fall, or just save them, I 'm not sure yet..

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
That too (it's for debug) and maybe get a promo (review copy) as well, but I like to have the full packaging with this game as well. =)
Maybe I'll just buy one copy and then buy some other big games this fall, or just save them, I 'm not sure yet..
So what will the review copy be like? Will it be that cool pack? Or just a disc in a sleeve?

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
So what will the review copy be like? Will it be that cool pack? Or just a disc in a sleeve?
Just a disc (like a preview build), can only be played on the specific debug test PlayStation3 machines.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DrXym said:
I'm guessing they're doing level loading how it's done in Heavenly Sword or The Darkness. You get to watch a cut scene while it happens. The problem there is you can't skip the cutscene, or if you can it gets replaced by a progress bar.

The cutscenes in HS get very annoying especially when you're trying to beat a boss for the Nth time.
Probably not.

The cutscenes in HS are mostly done with pre-recorded videos that play while the game loads data. It's clear that the engine does not handle data very well as level loading is extremely long.

The Darkness present realtimes scenes, of course, but they only display a single character.

I doubt Uncharted uses its cutscenes to hide loading as they are likely every bit as demanding as the game itself (they are 100% realtime).

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Anastacio said:
So it looks like this now; I'll buy:

American version = Videogamesplus.ca
European version = local Internet store
Japanese version = Where??
German version = Where??
But I think you can play all versions from one disk. Just have to use a separate profile I believe no? Thats how it is for Resistance and Rachet

/Power of Blu-Ray

Pachimari

I do think the cutscenes can be skipped if I remember right; but don't take my word for it as I am extremely unsure on this topic, as I don't clearly remember. I do remember that I tried though; the only cutscene related features I can remember are, that you can turn subtitles on and off during the cutscenes, just like in Jak & Daxter.

PistolGrip said:
But I think you can play all versions from one disk. Just have to use a separate profile I believe no? Thats how it is for Resistance and Rachet

/Power of Blu-Ray
But I'm talking about boxarts..

Firewire

Banned
Hey guys I think in the second video, they show a monitor and the guy is like "you not supposed to see this" was that Jax on the monitor? If so OMG! :D

deepbrown

Firewire said:
Hey guys I think in the second video, they show a monitor and the guy is like "you not supposed to see this" was that Jax on the monitor? If so OMG! :D
for Uncharted most likely...actually they'd gone Gold on that day :p

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
I do think the cutscenes can be skipped if I remember right; but don't take my word for it as I am extremely unsure on this topic, as I don't clearly remember. I do remember that I tried though; the only cutscene related features I can remember are, that you can turn subtitles on and off during the cutscenes, just like in Jak & Daxter.

But I'm talking about boxarts..

You have far too many other games to buy A...don't do it.

All review copies need a debug machine then?

Dante

YES!!

It has ND style run towards the camera escape sequences!

Shiiiit guys, there's a pretty major spoiler in that second video :(

Dante

Firewire said:

Hard to say looked like he was working on a Zbrush sculpt and that torso did look like Jak esque proportions

Dante said:
YES!!

It has ND style run towards the camera escape sequences!

Shiiiit guys, there's a pretty major spoiler in that second video :(

THANKS. I was just about to watch it, too. Oh man you're a life saver.

Top Bottom