• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
BruceLeeRoy said:
I can understand that this is certainly a game you want to play on a HD set.

Yeah after seeing it on my SD tv and looking at some of the posted pictures in this thread I told my self I would not play it till I got my HD tv. First my tv was schedule to arrive on the 17th of November and I thought I would play the game when it came out but damn Sears borked my order and I think I will now get it this Wednesday.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Much like Heavenly Sword, I came into Uncharted a total hater. I almost convinced myself to wait until bargain bin pricing based on the demo. After playing a few hours last night, I'm liking it.

I gotta agree with Che though. Assassin's Creed to me is far more technically proficient. Lighting, animation, shadowing, scope...unless things get crazy in the mid-late game, I'm not finding myself WOW crazy like I did with Ubi's 360 venture. In fact so many little elements are just taking me straight out of the experience, mostly combat nitpicks, invisible barriers, and occasional awkward animations.

I am liking how personable the characters are though, and the cutscenes don't overstay their welcome, pushing you in a nicely paced progression without bloating the experience.

Still, I need to grab Tomb Raider Anniversary on 360 ASAP, these platforming and puzzle segments are Kiddy Grade. But yea, I'm intrigued to play on, and the achievment unlocks are making me approach combat a bit differently than I would otherwise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still, I need to grab Tomb Raider Anniversary on 360 ASAP, these platforming and puzzle segments are Kiddy Grade.
TRA has awesome puzzles but terrible combat. Uncharted is more of a Gears-like shooter with minor puzzle elements.

If you have a decent PC I'd go for TRA on that platform instead as the 360 version supposedly sucks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
dark10x said:
TRA has awesome puzzles but terrible combat. Uncharted is more of a Gears-like shooter with minor puzzle elements.

If you have a decent PC I'd go for TRA on that platform instead as the 360 version supposedly sucks.

Yea, I need to do more research on the 360 port. I adored Legend's Time Trial achievement runs though, and am glad to see them back. I have the PS2 version from earlier this year, but held off playing all this time once the 360 port was announced.

So yea, achievements are important to me.

Brandon F said:
I gotta agree with Che though. Assassin's Creed to me is far more technically proficient. Lighting, animation, shadowing, scope...unless things get crazy in the mid-late game, I'm not finding myself WOW crazy like I did with Ubi's 360 venture. In fact so many little elements are just taking me straight out of the experience, mostly combat nitpicks, invisible barriers, and occasional awkward animations.

Thats so funny to me I have been trying to sludge through AC but aside from the scope of the game thats really all that impresses me. The character models are pretty bad the card board cutout trees and plants mar everything and the overall colors bore me. I think your animations are excellent but I like Drakes better probably just because his animations do a lot more to bring out his personality. I personally dont think AC even ranks in the top 3 best looking games this year that list goes easily to:

1.Uncharted
2.COD4
3.Heavenly Sword / Bioshock

OH but truly once you get to Chapter 5 and on the game is seriously the most astounding looking thing I have seen this gen so if your not there yet give it some more play.

And yeah TR Anniversary Kicks ass if they had kept the original music such a Thors hammer I would have been even happier with that game.

Kittonwy said:
I don't know how you guys can wait so long for this game, I didn't even wait for EB to let me buy my pre-order, when TRU broke the street date I just went and got it from there and started playing it the minute I got home rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

this is my most anticipated game, so I want to save it for christmas....Im not a believer in the faith, so it has to be special in some way, apart from food family and presents etc

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Okay, you people are now properly delusional.

AC does NOT have better lightning, animation, and especially not shadows!

Brandon F said:
Much like Heavenly Sword, I came into Uncharted a total hater. I almost convinced myself to wait until bargain bin pricing based on the demo. After playing a few hours last night, I'm liking it.

I am liking how personable the characters are though, and the cutscenes don't overstay their welcome, pushing you in a nicely paced progression without bloating the experience.

Still, I need to grab Tomb Raider Anniversary on 360 ASAP, these platforming and puzzle segments are Kiddy Grade. But yea, I'm intrigued to play on, and the achievment unlocks are making me approach combat a bit differently than I would otherwise.

your tripping on acid dude...cant hate on AC, the graphics are very very impressive on the whole, but even from the Uncharted demo, the game has quite alot higher level of detail..animation is good in both but more jerky in AC, seriously am not sure how someone could say it is better, it is only really fluid in combat, and that seems mostly pre-canned...I'll hate on Tomb Raider though...always thought it was a mediocre series

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Puzzles in TRA are really nothing that special. I don't consider fetching keys/gears from one place to the next and putting them into a machinery to really be a puzzle, and there's lot of that kind of stuff in TR. I thought TR Legend had some genuinely good puzzles though - furthermore they were physics based which made them even more impressive.

conman

BruceLeeRoy said:
the overall colors bore me.
I'm sure you've seen Uncharted's "Next Gen" color scheme, yes? It pokes fun at all these "next gen" color palettes (dark and dull greys, olives, golds). I totally busted up when I tried out this unlockable feature.

conman said:
I'm sure you've seen Uncharted's "Next Gen" color scheme, yes? It pokes fun at all these "next gen" color palettes (dark and dull greys, olives, golds). I totally busted up when I tried out this unlockable feature.

:lol :lol Yeah that was classic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
reilo said:

One thing I honestly can't understand is shadows. They are just seriously obviously better in Uncharted. Every single shadow seems to be animated, cast onto everything and just ridiculously high-res. Same goes for textures, water and shader use.

I can see arguing about other things, as both games have good lighting and animation (even though in AC, animation is only good for your character, while in Uncharted, everyone and everything animates on almost the same quality level). Also, while AC has nowhere near the geometry density or the good looking trees and such, it's a much less linear game so resources have to be more spread out.

h3ro said:
When did everyone forget that AC in on PS3 too...
And it looks about the same, other than a bit worse framerate.

Bulla564

Banned
The only thing AC has slightly over Uncharted, is scope, like someone else said. Even then, very few things can top some of the vistas that you experience in Uncharted.

Greg

h3ro said:
When did everyone forget that AC in on PS3 too...
Not sure about the 360 version, but the PS3 version fails technically - first game this gen to actually disorient me with tearing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Greg said:
Not sure about the 360 version, but the PS3 version fails technically - first game this gen to actually disorient me with tearing.
The PS3 version does run worse, but the 360 version has plenty of issues as well. It does not run smoothly on either system.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Greg said:

Damn and here I was hoping that the Ps3 version was not that bad since I was intrested in the game dammit all to hell.

h3ro

Bulla564 said:
The only thing AC has slightly over Uncharted, is scope, like someone else said. Even then, very few things can top some of the vistas that you experience in Uncharted.

What I don't understand is why these two games are being compared in the first place... they have nothing in common, other than being in the third person perspective... obviously AC will have a larger scope/field of view when the point/objective of the game is to get to a high vista and located a landmark or target a person.

Oh and AC is getting a patch soon for PS3, so lets see if that helps...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
h3ro said:
What I don't understand is why these two games are being compared in the first place... they have nothing in common, other than being in the third person perspective... obviously AC will have a larger scope/field of view when the point/objective of the game is to get to a high vista and located a landmark or target a person.

Oh and AC is getting a patch soon for PS3, so lets see if that helps...

Damn I do hope that patch helps since I would actually go get the game if its smoother.

h3ro said:
What I don't understand is why these two games are being compared in the first place...

The only thing I can think of is that they were both games where the developers were touting how good the animation would be. Other than that they have no similarities.

deepbrown

Brandon F said:
I'm not finding myself WOW crazy like I did with Ubi's 360 venture.

Still, I need to grab Tomb Raider Anniversary on 360 ASAP

Ubi's 360 venture? Hmm...

You can buy it cheaper on the PS2 and play it on your PS3...NOW. Hmmm.

Textures, lighting, shadows , character models...generally "Graphics" is 10/10 in Uncharted, and 8-9/10 AC. Wait until you get to the Fortress to see the super-textures.

Oh and here's an idea. Don't go into games with a negative attitude..."I'm going to hate HS, I'm going to hate Uncharted"...because more often than not you're going to be a nit picky nitwit and you're not going to like it at all. If I went into AC thinking "tearing, where's the tearing"...I would find it the most annoying experience I've ever had.

Greg

dark10x said:
The PS3 version does run worse, but the 360 version has plenty of issues as well. It does not run smoothly on either system.
Yeah, I'm not aware of the superior version... just that going from Uncharted to AC made me realize how great Uncharted really was.

And Elbrain, I'm not trying to discourage your purchase or anything, as the game still remains playable/enjoyable, but I guess I was just spoiled going from Ratchet to Uncharted... to AC. :lol

reilo said:

AC has better animation, IMO. Way more fluid and lifelike.. UDF has a lot more blending, and the tech is probably doing more, but the character animations themselves aren't very good.

It's all a matter of taste anyway. I think AC looks better. But that's not to say UDF looks bad. We've had a run of extremely high quality looking games released over the last few months, all with their strong points.. it's a good time for great looking games.

deepbrown

GauntletFan said:
AC has better animation, IMO. Way more fluid and lifelike.. UDF has a lot more blending, and the tech is probably doing more, but the character animations themselves aren't very good.
I agree, they aren't very good. I'd say they were pretty shit animations, as far as animation goes in games.

Forsete

GauntletFan said:

Joke? :lol

deepbrown

GauntletFan said:

It's all a matter of taste anyway. I think AC looks better. But that's not to say UDF looks bad. We've had a run of extremely high quality looking games released over the last few months, all with their strong points.. it's a good time for great looking games.
High quality looking games? Riiiight, but we're talking about animation here. Where Uncharted's animations aren't very good. At least I don't think they are.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GauntletFan said:
While I agree that Drake's animation can look less fluid at times, it's a much better tradeoff than Ubi's approach of "you press button and then things happen when they're supposed to happen, not right away when you press it". With that kind of rule in place it's much easier to animate things fluidly.

Besides, I don't even think the basic animations in AC are really any better than in UDF. Just watch Altair run sideways across the screen, it actually looks less natural somehow than Drake's running, especially if Drake starts doing something else while running. Where AC excells is those climbing animations which look more fluid than Drake's shimmying and such, but also much less responsive and user controlled.

That's only comparing the main characters though, for all other human characters in the game, UDF wins so much in the animation department it's not even worth comparing.

Dante

I could not play AC after Uncharted, I got to try it over the break, and everything felt WAY too automated. Went back to playing Uncharted for the third time.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
While I agree that Drake's animation can look less fluid at times, it's a much better tradeoff than Ubi's approach of "you press button and then things happen when they're supposed to happen, not right away when you press it". With that kind of rule in place it's much easier to animate things fluidly.

Besides, I don't even think the basic animations in AC are really any better than in UDF. Just watch Altair run sideways across the screen, it actually looks less natural somehow than Drake's running. Where AC excells is those climbing animations which look more fluid than Drake's shimmying and such, but also much less responsive and user controlled.

That's only comparing the main characters though, for all human characters and NPCs, UDF wins so much in the animation department it's not even worth comparing.
You can definitely see the different approaches to animation. The animation in Uncharted definitely has that Naughty Dog feel and look, but also I do get the uncanny valley at times.

Often when he's running, or running and shooting over his shoulder...his reloading, and standing behind cover heavy breathing with a worried look on his face. The way everything blends together. How about walking over something unsteady and Nathan steadying himself. Or jumping through the doors in the U-boat.

They certainly both have incredible animation, but Naughty Dog's layering really comes up trumps...watching him duck bullets is just wow. I find often Altair climbing is quite disjointed...one movement then the next.

deepbrown

The mirrored world makes the game feel completely different! It's such a good idea...so different that it makes it quite a bit harder, because people aren't where you expect them to be....and your cover is in the wrong place lol. So now I'm going to play it on Crushing and then Crushing Mirror Mode.

Anyone think it gets dark too early? Or at least that they want the jungle to come back? It does in the way with that amazing encounter outside the monastery with the red sky...love that....but I just want a bright jungle bit again :p Because it gets dark at Chapter 13...and doesn't lighten up...meaning that half of the game is jungle, half of it is dark like Gears of War.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
There's a mirror mode which flips the world left/right, but there's another mode "inversed" I think... what does that do?
"Flipped"...it flips the world every time you die...confusing the hell out of you and making it EVEN harder. Ps. As I've said before, they flip the cutscenes as well! lol

JB1981 said:
It runs fine. As good as Uncharted for the most part.
prairiedogyb66.gif

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
deepbrown said:
"Flipped"...it flips the world every time you die...confusing the hell out of you and making it EVEN harder. Ps. As I've said before, they flip the cutscenes as well! lol

Now that is a bad ass extra mode right there always keeping you guessing I like!

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:

Besides, I don't even think the basic animations in AC are really any better than in UDF. Just watch Altair run sideways across the screen, it actually looks less natural somehow than Drake's running, especially if he starts doing something else while running. Where AC excells is those climbing animations which look more fluid than Drake's shimmying and such, but also much less responsive and user controlled.

That's only comparing the main characters though, for all other human characters and NPCs, UDF wins so much in the animation department it's not even worth comparing.

I think in one of the BTS videos they (in particular Travis McIntosh) talked about how the character animated in Uncharted where it looked great but it just didn't feel as good for the character to control, and that responsiveness was their main goal according to Jeremy Yates, I think ultimately Naughty Dog made the right choice in making sure that the game has spot-on, responsive controls over absolutely fluid animations, and they ended up with a better final product.

Kittonwy said:
I think in one of the BTS videos they (in particular Travis McIntosh) talked about how the character animated in Uncharted where it looked great but it just didn't feel as good for the character to control, and that responsiveness was their main goal according to Jeremy Yates, I think ultimately Naughty Dog made the right choice in making sure that the game has spot-on, responsive controls over absolutely fluid animations, and they ended up with a better final product.

Definitely as is Drake is still my favorite new character to emerge from a videogame he is just so damn likable.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Brandon F said:

http://self-renewal.com/how_to_quit_drugs.htm

Marconelly said:

Besides, I don't even think the basic animations in AC are really any better than in UDF. Just watch Altair run sideways across the screen, it actually looks less natural somehow than Drake's running, especially if he starts doing something else while running. Where AC excells is those climbing animations which look more fluid than Drake's shimmying and such, but also much less responsive and user controlled.

That's only comparing the main characters though, for all other human characters in the game, UDF wins so much in the animation department it's not even worth comparing.

I diasgree. A lot of the animations in UDF are weaker than AC. Aside from the 'sliding into position'. a lot of the climbs lack weight, and the pulling-up and hopping over rocks looks poorly done. The facial animation is amazing (not surprising as ND's background is in acting and storytelling) but the general navigation and character control anims didn't impress me.

Jtrizzy

Well, I guess no one is going to answer my question. Oh well, I'm about to play through the game for the 4th time now.

Just in case:

Jtrizzy said:
Question: I beat the game on hard, but I started it on normal. If I go back and beat the early levels (the one's I beat before moving it to hard) will it give me credit for beating the game on hard? Or will I have to do it all over again? Which I will be doing anyway, because this is my favorite game in years.

It sucks because I beat essentially the entire game on hard and didn't get the credit for it.

deepbrown

Jtrizzy said:
Well, I guess no one is going to answer my question. Oh well, I'm about to play through the game for the 4th time now.

Just in case:
Just complete it on crushing, and it will give you the hard medal as well :)

Top Bottom