• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
deepbrown said:
I recieved my copy yesterday and have played the first 10 chapters. So far the game is a 9 imo and I agree with a lot of Edge's points but the animation comparison strikes me as odd.

Edge said:
Drake’s animations are plentiful and authentic, for example, and at least shake the impression that you’re controlling Captain Scarlet, but can’t help but look slightly basic next to the new gold standard of Assassin’s Creed.
I would argue that AC's climbing animations are far superior but all other animation I'd give to Uncharted.

**SYN cowers in fear while voicing an unpopular opinion**

I don't see the "wow" with this game. its a good game, but seeing many people nominate it for game of the year confuses me. its pretty, but there are a few problems that bring the game down. the enemies walking off 5 AK rounds to the chest, the waves of enemies, the frustrating parts where you die 3 times to learn where the next wave of enemies is going to come from. the fact that you can only jump and cling to certain "relevant" ledges. the fact that many times your gun isn't aiming in the same direction you are shooting.

it looks absolutely amazing but a lot of times it feels like a very polished tomb raider with much much much easier puzzles and more enemies.

deepbrown

SIP YEK NOD said:

I don't see the "wow" with this game. its a good game, but seeing many people nominate it for game of the year confuses me. its pretty, but there are a few problems that bring the game down. the enemies walking off 5 AK rounds to the chest, the waves of enemies, the frustrating parts where you die 3 times to learn where the next wave of enemies is going to come from. the fact that you can only jump and cling to certain "relevant" ledges. the fact that many times your gun isn't aiming in the same direction you are shooting.

it looks absolutely amazing but a lot of times it feels like a very polished tomb raider with much much much easier puzzles and more enemies.
It doesn't FEEL like tomb raider at all....and I've played every single tomb raider ever made. This is not the same feeling, or gameplay experience at all. "it feels like a very polished tomb raider"....if it's a very polished version of one of the best franchises of all time...then that's a pretty big compliment.

I cant understand that at all...I actually think the climbing looks poor in AC, its very jerky, every time you reach up it looks like the same animation...overall the animation is good, but some aspects stand out to me much more in uncharted...although some aspects of uncharted dont always feel precise

AKS

SIP YEK NOD said:

Polished TR?!? Have you really played through Uncharted?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
but there are a few problems that bring the game down. the enemies walking off 5 AK rounds to the chest
I suppose you haven't played Gears of War, then. Uncharted requires far fewer shots to take down each of its enemies. This game was balanced for gameplay, not realism. The AK is highly unrealistic, but it was tweaked in this manner to support a balanced combat engine. You know that single shots from the AK can still kill enemies if you aim for the head, right?

I don't understand the Tomb Raider comparisons either. This game is NOTHING like Tomb Raider. The basic theme may share some similiarities (hardly), but the core gameplay is completely different.

llTll

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't understand the Tomb Raider comparisons either. This game is NOTHING like Tomb Raider. The basic theme may share some similiarities (hardly), but the core gameplay is completely different.

how cant you see the comparisons between this and tomb raider

- both in jungle and caves? check
- both you shoot and explore ? check
- both you have to jump on stuff and finish puzzles? check

the only way i can say they are lil different is that tomb raider is fucking hard at puzzles that will lead you to either : 1- frustration or 2- get bored looking for solution and never get the chance to finish the game. so far, the puzzles in uncharted are OK. but i am still in level 2.

AKS

BruceLeeRoy said:
Thats so funny to me I have been trying to sludge through AC but aside from the scope of the game thats really all that impresses me. The character models are pretty bad the card board cutout trees and plants mar everything and the overall colors bore me. I think your animations are excellent but I like Drakes better probably just because his animations do a lot more to bring out his personality. I personally dont think AC even ranks in the top 3 best looking games this year that list goes easily to:

1.Uncharted
2.COD4
3.Heavenly Sword / Bioshock

OH but truly once you get to Chapter 5 and on the game is seriously the most astounding looking thing I have seen this gen so if your not there yet give it some more play.

And yeah TR Anniversary Kicks ass if they had kept the original music such a Thors hammer I would have been even happier with that game.

Ratchet and Mass Effect are also more impressive than Assassin's Creed.

deepbrown said:
It doesn't FEEL like tomb raider at all....and I've played every single tomb raider ever made. This is not the same feeling, or gameplay experience at all. "it feels like a very polished tomb raider"....if it's a very polished version of one of the best franchises of all time...then that's a pretty big compliment.
**SYN throws tomb raider in, plays a few levels**

i don't know what tomb raider you have been playing, but uncharted feels like tomb raider without the shitty auto aim. it has the same crappy selection of weapons, the same "10 shots to kill" enemies, the same platfoming elements(only without the degree of puzzles), some of the same settings, the same basic goal. the same waves of enemies. the same "pause to skip" cutscenes.

the same book design, nearly the same disk design, if she was centered, and holding a shotgun, that would be pretty funny.

It just seems to have a much better shooting mechanism, a more shooter-heavy balance and immensely better graphics and animations.(its an insane difference going between TR:L and uncharted)

dark10x

llTll said:

the only way i can say they are lil different is that tomb raider is fucking hard at puzzles that will lead you to either : 1- frustration or 2- get bored looking for solution and never get the chance to finish the game. so far, the puzzles in uncharted are OK. but i am still in level 2.
That's like drawing a direct comparison between Mass Effect and Gears of War or something. Sure, if you break it down enough, the games are the same...but the actual mechanics behind their gameplay systems are completely different.

Scenery comparison are pretty invalid in that many games from all sorts of genres can be drawn into them. That said, the environments in Uncharted are pretty different from anything in Tomb Raider and are similar in concept only.

You may shoot in both of them, but the combat systems are 100% different. Does the fact that you "shoot" in both Halo and Resident Evil 4 make them similar games? Of course not.

The two games are incredibly different.

same "10 shots to kill" enemies
That's just false. 3 pistol shots or 1 head shot will take out most enemies. A single AK47 bullet in the head will also take out an enemy. Uncharted requires aiming precision and it seems to me that your aim sucks.

Again, if simplified enough, any game can be compared to something pretty different. You glance over the combat in Uncharted, but that is a core part of the game and is put to use more often than any other aspect.

Dyno

SIP YEK NOD said:
It just seems to have a much better shooting mechanism, a more shooter-heavy balance and immensely better graphics and animations.(its an insane difference going between TR:L and uncharted)

So you're pointing to the fact that the game's main character is printed on the game disk...

Seriously, you need to shut up with that.

As for the booklet. I don't know about Tome Raider but in Uncharted the leather book is integral to the plot and puzzle solving.

llTll

Banned
dark10x said:
That's like drawing a direct comparison between Mass Effect and Gears of War or something. Sure, if you break it down enough, the games are the same...but the actual mechanics behind their gameplay systems are completely different.

Scenery comparison are pretty invalid in that many games from all sorts of genres can be drawn into them. That said, the environments in Uncharted are pretty different from anything in Tomb Raider and are similar in concept only.

You may shoot in both of them, but the combat systems are 100% different. Does the fact that you "shoot" in both Halo and Resident Evil 4 make them similar games? Of course not.

The two games are incredibly different.

man c'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Uncharted to Tomb Raider is = to Mass Effect to gears of war or = RE4 vs Halo ?

that is just wrong.

llTll said:

Tomb Raider dont have barrel, therefore the comparison is invalid.

deepbrown

SIP YEK NOD said:
**SYN throws tomb raider in, plays a few levels**

i don't know what tomb raider you have been playing, but uncharted feels like tomb raider without the shitty auto aim. it has the same crappy selection of weapons, the same "10 shots to kill" enemies, the same platfoming elements(only without the degree of puzzles), some of the same settings, the same basic goal. the same waves of enemies. the same "pause to skip" cutscenes.

the same book design, nearly the same disk design, if she was centered, and holding a shotgun, that would be pretty funny.

The same 10 shots to kill enemies? Are you insane? Go for the headshot. Uncharted is a shooter for most. Tomb Raider is more exploration. The same "pause to skip cutscenes"? Now you're stretching...that should be a standard feature of all games.

Tomb Raider is my favorite series and my experiences with Uncharted is very different. The isolation in Tomb Raider, along with the complex platforming, and jumpy shooting is very different to Uncharted's companions, cover system combat, and simpler platforming. In fact Uncharted reminds me a lot more of Prince of Persia.

deepbrown said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8084&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

Edge explains themselves

EDGE REVIEW: Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

Does Uncharted shake off the ‘Bloke Raider’ tag and deliver on its billing as one of the PlayStation 3’s big hopes for the holiday season? Edge gives its verdict within…
If you expect Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune to begin with a cutscene, you’d be right. If you expect to negotiate beautiful environments and fight mercenaries, shoot explosive barrels and scale ruins, you’d be right. In fact, you’d be right with almost any informed prediction about Uncharted’s content. But the fact that you’re right doesn’t begin to explain why, despite everything about it being a little predictable, Uncharted manages to get it right.

The games it takes as its inspirations are the best examples of their type – the shooting from Gears Of War and Resident Evil 4, the adventuring from Tomb Raider and Prince Of Persia. Uncharted is brazen in its borrowings, but it is also selective and never ambitious to excess: the whole experience is carefully crafted and perhaps its greatest achievement is in its pacing, which alternates between combat and exploration (and occasionally a vehicle section) with a real consideration for the player. It is one of the great lessons it learns from Resident Evil 4 and, although Uncharted never quite manages to reach that level of breathless excitement, it makes the basic core of the game replayable rather than repetitious.

The combat exemplifies this: at heart it is little more than a very good example of the cover/fire school of gameplay, perhaps not quite as exaggerated as that of Gears Of War. But it is distinguished through variation in environmental layouts such that, even though you’re facing the same types of enemy for most of the game, each encounter demands something slightly different from the one before.

There’s a reasonable selection of weapons, all with their own quirks (although the pistol is your best friend), but the real pleasure – and the second factor that elevates Uncharted above the ranks of imitator – is to be found in the Indiana Jones close combat. This is incorporated into your fighting in several ways, whether as a five-punch combo to finish off a lone gunman or a flying dropkick when an enemy is blocking your hurried escape, and when used properly it’s an invaluable addition to your armory. The only disappointment lies in some problems with the cover system, with Drake occasionally refusing to respond to your urgent commands next to doors – a stumbling block within its free-flowing context.However, there are some poor design decisions that simply can’t be ignored: chains, for example, are occasionally used to move around the environment, and are often used as an insubstantial decoration. You’ll only know which, initially at least, when you’ve either made it across the gap or are falling to your doom. At least Uncharted is generous with its restart positions.

Within these sections, the game isn’t shy about moving the camera for dramatic effect during key moments. This can work brilliantly, particularly in an out-of-screen moment that nods to the original Crash Bandicoot, and with some of the game’s more routine platform moments. If there’s a criticism, it’s that it isn’t used completely coherently – there are only one or two big set-pieces in the game that use these tricks, and these are excellent, while there are many ‘smaller’ moments where quick camera changes confuse rather than help. And although it would be madness to criticize linearity in and of itself, none of the adventuring environments offer a freedom of approach towards the single destination – indeed, neither the physical nor mental puzzles will significantly slow down anyone.

But apart from this Uncharted has a sense of spectacle in the obstacles you face, and also concentrates its narrative around these sections – making them a significantly different counterweight to the fighting. The game looks beautiful, and in motion is far from the impression of shiny waxworks that screenshots may give: towering trees, vine-covered ruins and crumbling masonry create a real sense of place, and the attention to detail in even the incidental temple decorations is to be applauded.

This is complemented by the story, a half-nonsensical, half-thrilling adventure plot, which manages to showcase the well distinguished main characters as well as keep the momentum of the treasure hunt going: it’s as tight and coherent a plot as seen in a game of this type, as serviceable as it is accomplished. It’s this attention to detail beyond the obvious that makes up for some of the other areas where the game isn’t quite as striking: Drake’s animations are plentiful and authentic, for example, and at least shake the impression that you’re controlling Captain Scarlet, but can’t help but look slightly basic next to the new gold standard of Assassin’s Creed.

Amid all the comparisons Uncharted tempts, however, one thing remains: it is a great adventure story that plays excellently. There’s nothing substantially new in what it does – indeed its influences are obvious – and there are some minor problems, but through judicious pruning and reweaving Naughty Dog has crafted one of the finest action adventures to date. It’s involving in its narrative, a triumph of pacing, and simply a pleasure to play. Your move, Ms Croft.

Verdict 8 / 10

Seems like a decent review.

deepbrown

GauntletFan said:
Seems like a decent review.
After their shocking preview, yes it is. Just remember their AC and Mass Effect reviews for comparison. Plus...Edge and Eurogamer are the harshest PS3 critics, and both gave an 8 and 9 respectively to Uncharted.

IzumiK

Banned
There's huge differences for character and setting. Nate is tenfolds more of a better character and has a personality. Lara shows nothing to signify any personality other than the average action Jane Doe that we see in many movies. Even from the Uncharted demo, you can already tell from the first cutscene that Nate is one sarcastic, funny guy with a lot of charm.

The other difference is Uncharted has a story driven setting. It's like Naughty Dog created the island first and made Nate go across it adding bits of ledges and pillars. Each scene is seamlessly gone from one part to another and it feels fluid like you were playing a sandbox game. Tomb Raider throws you into some cave with a lot of ledges, and when you're done with that cave, onto the next cave.

Tomb Raider is definitely old school. It's the classic Prince of Persia platforming in 3D. But it doesn't feel anything like Uncharted. Uncharted can pass as a movie because all the animations are so real, the environments are so detailed, the characters are involving, and the action is sublime. I can't say I could watch a video of someone playing Tomb Raider and be bored.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
The same "pause to skip cutscenes"? Now you're stretching...that should be a standard feature of all games.
Not only that, but the feature was in ND Jak games probably even before it showed up in Tomb Raider.

GottiDC

Banned
I got uncharted and my ds3 last week mon. itsthe best game i have played since mgs3 on ps2. Im 9 hours into it and im on the 16th chapter playing on HARD
i got my ds3 for 43.00 from playasia.com, i pre orderd back in oct.
udf kicks so mush ass it doesnt make anysince, it makes othergames look like mario. uncharted is the new standerd for graphics

IMG_0085.jpg

best combination this season

deepbrown

GauntletFan said:
I don't buy into that nonsense.
Harshest critics then :) It's all the same. And the remark was quite justified, it needn't be evidence of a bias...but merely a look at their past PS3 review scores (Heavenly Sword a 6/10 from Edge, and a 6/10 for Resistance from Eurogamer)

I just finished the game last night and it was definitely a journey of ups and downs for me. After getting flamed for poo-pooing on the demo, I'm glad to report that whatever felt wrong in the demo for me was remedied in the final version. While the game suffers from the same issue that the COD games have in that you basically have to replay difficult sections multiple times to learn where all the enemies are going to pop out from; at least in this game the solid AI ensures that the enemies don't always make the same movements after they enter the battlefield.

As expected the graphics are amazing, and the framerate is perfect (smoother than in the demo IMO). The physics for destructible set-pieces are insane too. The only downsides are that the motion blur is a little too intense when you pan the camera, and explosions standout a lot for looking so out of place when everything else looks so good. The sound design for the game is also incredibly well-done. Not that it should be surprising given all of the different settings in the sound options menu. This is probably the only game I've noticed besides HL2 that has sound distortion for the weapons depending on how far away the gun is when firing. Gun fire from a distance has a really nice muffled sound, and I was really surprised to hear my shotgun echo when I fired it inside of one of the caverns.

The story and presentation are also unrivaled for this game. No real complaints except for the
zombies
which singlehandedly almost completely ruined the game for me. There are a decent amount of action movie cliches (like the 15' gold statue not weighing several tons & Drake's diary having all the puzzles of the island in it even though Drake apparently never made it off the island).

Overall it's easily one of the most impressive games on a technological scale and pushes the video game medium forward in a definite next-gen direction on all accounts.

dark10x

which singlehandedly almost completely ruined the game for me
Did you try firing from the hip? They are easy to dispatch with a shotgun if you avoid using the aiming mode (and it's pretty fun too).

raheel87

yay first post.

Anyways, amazing game. Sure there are plenty of flaws but the added cheats that you get as you progress through the game like fast motion and mirror etc. really make it feel truly old school. Story is far fetched but movie like and way more interesting then Ass Creed. Climbing is awesome it requires a slight delicate touch it which is what I expected out of Ass Creed.
Sure there isn't anything new here but they did alot of old things very well. Instant classic and must have.

9/10

~Raheel

dark10x said:
Did you try firing from the hip? They are easy to dispatch with a shotgun if you avoid using the aiming mode (and it's pretty fun too).

That wasn't the problem. They are extremely easy to take out like you mentioned, but the fact that they are in the game to begin with almost made me stop playing the game. It was not the direction I expected the game to go in (
even though I was sort of expecting it from Naughty Dog dancing around the question of whether or not there would be a supernatural element to the game
). They just felt out of place with the realism the game was going for and seemed like a lazy plot device to add to keep people from complaining that you keep shooting the same people for the entire game.

Also, is anyone else surprised this game is rated Teen?

Valkyr Junkie said:
That wasn't the problem. They are extremely easy to take out like you mentioned, but the fact that they are in the game to begin with almost made me stop playing the game. It was not the direction I expected the game to go in (
even though I was sort of expecting it from Naughty Dog dancing around the question of whether or not there would be a supernatural element to the game
). They just felt out of place with the realism the game was going for and seemed like a lazy plot device to add to keep people from complaining that you keep shooting the same people for the entire game.

I dont see why people are bent outta shape about the
supernatural
part of this game. I mean if you look at it in the terms of Indiana Jones,
holy grail, ark of the covenant, magic stones
its all in terms of the classic adventure stories. Yeah its there and your not expecting it, but I dont see it as a bad thing.

tanod

when is my burrito
Valkyr Junkie said:

I said the same thing about Heavenly Sword. Seems odd.

@raheel: Don't sign your posts. We can see your name on the left side of your post just fine.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
just postin back to leave my final impressions. I'm gunna be honest I'm just a bit disappointed. From E3 06 when I saw the trailer I've been waiting for the game. I got 100% about a week ago, I loved the game so much while I was playing it. The game in terms of gameplay lived up to my hype, hell surpassed it, but it was just too short. I mean all this time waiting and hyping it. I loved playing through on the different difficulties, but even those I blew through them on hard and even crushing. Love the game i still give it a solid 9/10, it was just so damn short. That's where heavenly sword went wrong, I mean drakes had some great replay value, but it was over with fast. Still awesome while it lasted, can't wait for uncharted 2.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
msdstc said:
just postin back to leave my final impressions. I'm gunna be honest I'm just a bit disappointed. From E3 06 when I saw the trailer I've been waiting for the game. I got 100% about a week ago, I loved the game so much while I was playing it. The game in terms of gameplay lived up to my hype, hell surpassed it, but it was just too short. I mean all this time waiting and hyping it. I loved playing through on the different difficulties, but even those I blew through them on hard and even crushing. Love the game i still give it a solid 9/10, it was just so damn short. That's where heavenly sword went wrong, I mean drakes had some great replay value, but it was over with fast. Still awesome while it lasted, can't wait for uncharted 2.

How long did it take for you to beat it the first time?

deepbrown

msdstc said:
Took me 12 hours first play through and I wasn't rushing.

msdstc said:

Weird. My complete save shows 7 hours and 47 minutes of playtime and I felt it was perfect. Didn't feel short at all. Although even Normal mode was pretty difficult for me which led to a lot of replays; so if you were able to storm through Crushing you probably beat the easier difficulties even faster than me.

deepbrown

[CFD] El Capitan said:
I was around that as well. I think thats perfect.
I would have liked it to carry on...like unexpected. I would have liked not to have known that it wasn't 20 chapters...that would've been a nice surprise. :(

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
I think the fact that most of us are doing multiple play throughs says a lot about this game. Not that its too short. But that the story and gameplay are compelling enough to bring back hard
jaded
core gamers again and again. :D

Uncharted 2 needs to be next.

deepbrown

Valkyr Junkie said:
Weird. My complete save shows 7 hours and 47 minutes of playtime and I felt it was perfect. Didn't feel short at all. Although even Normal mode was pretty difficult for me which led to a lot of replays; so if you were able to storm through Crushing you probably beat the easier difficulties even faster than me.
Yep...I really think it underestimates play time! Because I timed myself...the hours. It says 9hours....but I'm sure it was 12-14hours (ok I wasn't timing myself that well....but it was much more than 9 hours)

The Chef

deepbrown said:
Yep...I really think it underestimates play time! Because I timed myself...the hours. It says 9hours....but I'm sure it was 12-14hours (ok I wasn't timing myself that well....but it was much more than 9 hours)

I have been playing for a while now it seems. Only on chapter 8. It takes me a bit of time to get through a chapter - I end up marveling at everything in the level for days.

I will post all my new pics in just a sec. I got that picture you wanted too deepbrown

The Chef said:
I have been playing for a while now it seems. Only on chapter 8. It takes me a bit of time to get through a chapter - I end up marveling at everything in the level for days.

I will post all my new pics in just a sec. I got that picture you wanted too deepbrown

It took me exactly 12 hours to beat but I got almost every single treasure the first time through and like I said if your trying to get all the treasures and most of the achievements the first time you play look for at least 12+ hours.

Top Bottom