• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

G-Bus

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
But did it feel cheap?

For the most part no. It's just me loosing patience and rushing when i shouldn't or the AI out smarting me with the flanking.

I will say the last gun fights at the end of the game
on the boat
are a little cheap and frustrating.

Kosma

Banned
G-Bus said:
For the most part no. It's just me loosing patience and rushing when i shouldn't or the AI out smarting me with the flanking.

I will say the last gun fights at the end of the game
on the boat
are a little cheap and frustrating.

I read the spoiler :eek:

G-Bus

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
I read the spoiler :eek:

Ah, doesn't really spoil anything. You just know the setting now. :D

Mesijs said:
I don't think Hard is actually that Hard compared to crushing. Hard is just right, Crushing is a true test, and one where you (me at least) will die 30 times in a row in the same part.

I'm actually a little apprehensive about crushing. I'm going to do it but i got a bunch of medals i need to get still and maybe crushing isn't the best difficulty to try and get them on. Either way I'm looking forward to my second play threw more than my first. That's honestly a first for me. I generally don't play threw games more than once let alone look forward to it.

h3ro

Holy shit... this soundtrack is freaking EPIC!!

Great OST from Greg Edmonson... can't wait to pick this game up now!!

(Yeah I know, I"m a shame of a PS3 owner... I went with Ratchet and CoD4... which I love btw!)

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Crushing is really tough but i think its really fun that way. Makes you try different things.

Using Cartoon Drake! Sooo awesome!

Jim

Dante said:
Also the most amazing this about this game is you can walk right on top of every texture in the game and there is no loss of detail or blurring no matter how close you get.

I do have to say, the texture quality in the game is a bit inconsistent and it kinda bothered me. It's the ground and large wall textures mostly (you can see quite a few instances in The Chef's and BruceLeeRoy's pics). The ones that are good, are like the best ever (the fort and church courtyard!). It probably has a lot to do with the sometimes slow-ish texture streaming when transitioning into new sections or selective/limited use of anisotropic filtering. In flat areas, up close they are great, but they blur out a little closer and at relatively steeper angles to Drake than I would have expected. The transition is too obvious.

I played Uncharted immediately following 14+ hours of Assassin's Creed (360 ver), so I'm likely comparing to that whether I like it or not. I preferred the way AC handled the texture streaming since you very, very rarely saw any soft textures at similar angles or distances.

The game looks so good usually that little blemishes like that stand out even more IMO. Still best looking game overall this year IMO, with AC close behind.

Kosma

Banned
h3ro said:
Holy shit... this soundtrack is freaking EPIC!!

Great OST from Greg Edmonson... can't wait to pick this game up now!!

(Yeah I know, I"m a shame of a PS3 owner... I went with Ratchet and CoD4... which I love btw!)

Yeah it's easy to forget to mention how amazingly good the score is because the game looks like tits.

You aren't a shame of a PS3 owner by the way, Ratchet and COD4 are in the top 5 PS3 games to date too ;) But don't forget to get this one too, cause it has the number 1 spot for me!

Jim said:
The game looks so good usually that little blemishes like that stand out even more IMO. Still best looking game overall this year IMO, with AC close behind.

Yep, when a game looks this good every bit of mediocre texture stands out even more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The texture quality is generally extremely high throughout, it's the AF that is the problem (as noted by Jim). The game has limited AF and that really does detract from the texture quality.

Gears of War, however, lacked AA but used AF (something common on PS3). That really enhanced the textures, I think. Uncharted really could have used it.

G-Bus

Banned
[CFD] El Capitan said:
Crushing is really tough but i think its really fun that way. Makes you try different things.

Using Cartoon Drake! Sooo awesome!

Could you get a picture of drake like that? I wanna seeee

G-Bus said:
Could you get a picture of drake like that? I wanna seeee

Dude dont spoil it!
Its so hilarious when you first boot it up just stay patient its worth it I promise.

dark10x said:
The texture quality is generally extremely high throughout, it's the AF that is the problem (as noted by Jim). The game has limited AF and that really does detract from the texture quality.

Gears of War, however, lacked AA but used AF (something common on PS3). That really enhanced the textures, I think. Uncharted really could have used it.

Funny enough I was looking at some videos I had of Gears and Uncharted is seriously the first game to make me less impressed by it that is a unbelievable feat.

oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah it's easy to forget to mention how amazingly good the score is because the game looks like tits.

I just got it on Itunes yesterday its the best score for a videogame outside of Castlevania SOTN.

dark10x said:

Ok, what the hell is AF? I hope this isn't a stupid question. I know what AA is i think.

Mesijs

On Crushing, I'm on 73% with 9hr 37mins playing time. So that's good.

I just won the firefight I was stuck last time. It's reallt all about using the right guns at the right time. The combination of precision sniper shots, blind throwing grenades and blindfiring shotungs, with a few precision shots from my pistol, won it. It's about not getting outflanked and reacting properly and quickly. So dynamic and so satisfying. I'm afraid to complete it on Crushing, what should I do then? :(

Mesijs said:

I just won the firefight I was stuck last time. It's reallt all about using the right guns at the right time. The combination of precision sniper shots, blind throwing grenades and blindfiring shotungs, with a few precision shots from my pistol, won it. It's about not getting outflanked and reacting properly and quickly. So dynamic and so satisfying. I'm afraid to complete it on Crushing, what should I do then? :(

Just keep playing!

BeeDog

cjtiger300 said:
Ok, what the hell is AF? I hope this isn't a stupid question. I know what AA is i think.

Anisotropic filtering. I won't probably explain it fully, but it's about the viewing angle of textures. If you pass a certain angle when looking at a surface, the texture quality will be lowered to preserve video memory, but with high AF, the texture quality will remain high even if you're watching the surface almost horizontally (like a ground texture).

Mesijs

cjtiger300 said:
Just keep playing!

I mean after that. :( I think I just get all the medals, playing on Easy like an idiot and throwing mad grenades and picking up all the treasures and trying out the skins. But then my next fear is: what to do if I complete it 100%?

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Mesijs said:
I mean after that. :( I think I just get all the medals, playing on Easy like an idiot and throwing mad grenades and picking up all the treasures and trying out the skins. But then my next fear is: what to do if I complete it 100%?

Why...you dance good sir.

Mesijs said:

Nothing is more satisfying than unloading a blindfired shotgun shell into a gun running up on you only to see his body fly and land in a heap on some large stone.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
BruceLeeRoy said:
Nothing is more satisfying than unloading a blindfired shotgun shell into a gun running up on you only to see his body fly and land in a heap on some large stone.

hahaha thats the best....oh and tossing a grenade and hitting them with it and watching them scramble is pretty much greatness too.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
The use of dialogue as a gameplay aid is excellent in this game.

- Grenade nearby -> Drake says something like "Oh crap no!"
- You're out of ammo -> Enemies shout "He's out of ammo" (I thought this one was particularly great as that's something enemies would actually say in real life so that they know when to storm you, but in the game it also helps you know what to do)
- You being shot a bit too much and not doing much about it -> Elena yells at you "Drake, get down!"

etc, etc. Looks like that guy from their team who was saying he wants to make the game playable with your eyes closed, wasn't completely joking.
The best and most useful one I think is "I'm going to get him"....meaning I think "oh shit...need to change cover and look for approaching guy"...or "He's coming out"...which I presume doesn't mean Drake has moved his eyes from Elena and to the pirates....because I'd expect to see lots of pirates running away.

Epix said:
BeeDog said:
Anisotropic filtering. I won't probably explain it fully, but it's about the viewing angle of textures. If you pass a certain angle when looking at a surface, the texture quality will be lowered to preserve video memory, but with high AF, the texture quality will remain high even if you're watching the surface almost horizontally (like a ground texture).

Thank you guys! You learn something new everyday!

rothbart

The Beyond3D forums seem to be down at the moment. I've already beaten Uncharted on "Normal", but what's this "Cartoon Drake"? Inquiring minds want to know!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Up to the monastery part and this game is all kinds of awesome.

i am getting my ass kicked an awful lot tho.....

and i thought i was good at the demo >_>

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
rothbart said:
The Beyond3D forums seem to be down at the moment. I've already beaten Uncharted on "Normal", but what's this "Cartoon Drake"? Inquiring minds want to know!

Did you unlock it? Its a bonus skin.

deepbrown

dark10x said:

Heavenly Sword has the best AF of a console game. They had 8xAF there (and 4xAA) and you could really tell with a lot of their ground surfaces. I'd say it doesn't bother me too much here, since there's motion blur and when you look at the textures they look so incredibly High-res.

deepbrown

Mesijs said:

Mirror the world and play on crushing! It's so weird and feels completely new and much harder!

Kittonwy

Banned
IzumiK said:
Crushing is crushing my face. I expect this will double the play time.

I toldja guyz crushing is teh real deal!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Green Shinobi said:
Gah, how can a game that does so much right get so much completely wrong?

For the first hour or so of this game, I wanted to get on this board and make a thread proclaiming Uncharted the game of the forever. I really did. The platforming and exploration techniques are beyond anything that's been done before in gaming. The immersion is unparalleled. I don't even need to talk about the graphics and sound.

But the enemies. . .

I'm no wimp when it comes to combat in games. I've beaten Ninja Gaiden, Halo 1 and 2 on Legendary and so on. I also love a good shooter. The problem is that Uncharted is most definitely not a good shooter, but it throws the same number and types of enemies at you that a good shooter would.

Why can't the game just stick to what it's good at? When I'm trying to find away across a bunch of rocks and pillars without falling over a waterfall, the last thing I want is a bunch of annoying little fucks magically spawning above me and taking potshots at me with pistols. It kills the immersion.

Uncharted, you are not Gears of War, so stop trying to be like Gears of War, goddammit!!!

It's not that the shooting mechanics are bad. They're pretty good. But the enemy placement is terrible. Their awareness of their surroundings is completely unrealistic. Their ability to coordinate attacks with each other is completely unrealistic. Their numbers are ridiculous. I didn't realize malevolent treasure hunters had the funds to keep the entire army of Panama on retainer. Their ability to pop up from cover and nail you from 50 yards away in 1/10th of a second is bullshit.

I really love a lot about this game, but the enemies are dragging what should be an 11 out of 10 experience down to a solid 8.

Wow thats a strange reaction.
Moving on though deep I tried it on Mirror mode this morning Holy @#$@#$ man that throws you off big time you can never adopt the same tactic it makes it so dang crazy.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Green Shinobi said:
Gah. Murr murr murr

If you yourself can take a pop shot from 50yrds away and hit the dude still hiding behind something then why couldnt they be allowed the same?

Green Shinobi said:
It's not that the shooting mechanics are bad. They're pretty good. But the enemy placement is terrible. Their awareness of their surroundings is completely unrealistic. Their ability to coordinate attacks with each other is completely unrealistic. Their numbers are ridiculous.

Ninja Dog, meet Pirate Dog.

[CFD] El Capitan said:
If you yourself can take a pop shot from 50yrds away and hit the dude still hiding behind something then why couldnt they be allowed the same?

Bingo. A lot of other games will allow the main character to do things that the enemies can't do and as a result it balances the game in favor of the player while Uncharted gives the enemies the same basic abilities so it's much more of a level playing field.

SSM25

Green Shinobi said:
Is it really? No one else thinks that the waves of enemies, their telepathic coordination and their ridiculous placement cheapens the gameplay?

nope, everything is perfect for me, and I have played quite a lot of shooters lately.

I guess you guys are really good at popping out of cover and getting an accurate shot off at insane speeds.

I had thought the enemies were better at it than any player could ever be.

Green Shinobi said:
Gah, how can a game that does so much right get so much completely wrong?

For the first hour or so of this game, I wanted to get on this board and make a thread proclaiming Uncharted the game of the forever. I really did. The platforming and exploration techniques are beyond anything that's been done before in gaming. The immersion is unparalleled. I don't even need to talk about the graphics and sound.

But the enemies. . .

I'm no wimp when it comes to combat in games. I've beaten Ninja Gaiden, Halo 1 and 2 on Legendary and so on. I also love a good shooter. The problem is that Uncharted is most definitely not a good shooter, but it throws the same number and types of enemies at you that a good shooter would.

Why can't the game just stick to what it's good at? When I'm trying to find away across a bunch of rocks and pillars without falling over a waterfall, the last thing I want is a bunch of annoying little fucks magically spawning above me and taking potshots at me with pistols. It kills the immersion.

Uncharted, you are not Gears of War, so stop trying to be like Gears of War, goddammit!!!

It's not that the shooting mechanics are bad. They're pretty good. But the enemy placement is terrible. Their awareness of their surroundings is completely unrealistic. Their ability to coordinate attacks with each other is completely unrealistic. Their numbers are ridiculous. I didn't realize malevolent treasure hunters had the funds to keep the entire army of Panama on retainer. Their ability to pop up from cover and nail you from 50 yards away in 1/10th of a second is bullshit.

I really love a lot about this game, but the enemies are dragging what should be an 11 out of 10 experience down to a solid 8.
You get 4/10 for effort. Uncharted owns GeoW when it comes to combat mechanics. Enemies are smarter, cover mechanics are more fluid, everything moves better and faster, you can use cover system in 3D (you can climb some walls for example). And that's what I got from only playing the demo. GeoW fels sluggish now.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Also there is still alot of pirates in the world today due to world conditions and poverty many people have resorted to piracy/hired hand in order to live and support thier familes.

So if there is a wif of gold/financial stability in one of those areas you bet your ass there will be hundreds of mercs/pirates looking for that crap too.

...so...yeah....YAR.

Green Shinobi said:
I guess you guys are really good at popping out of cover and getting an accurate shot off at insane speeds.

I had thought the enemies were better at it than any player could ever be.

You are playing with your hands and not like your feet or anything right?

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Also there is still alot of pirates in the world today due to world conditions and poverty many people have resorted to piracy/hired hand in order to live and support thier familes.

So if there is a wif of gold/financial stability in one of those areas you bet your ass there will be hundreds of mercs/pirates looking for that crap too.

...so...yeah....YAR.

:lol That made my day.

Ynos Yrros said:
You get 4/10 for effort. Uncharted owns GeoW when it comes to combat mechanics. Enemies are smarter, cover mechanics are more fluid, everything moves better and faster, you can use cover system in 3D (you can climb some walls for example). And that's what I got from only playing the demo. GeoW fels sluggish now.
So you think I'm trolling because I have an agenda against this game and the PS3?

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
The chef posted that screen you wanted Deep.

13.jpg
Oh thanks! That's the one...doesn't really do it justice though!

There's another amazing section with a similar wall later on...it's after the second jetski...and you have a kill a whole load of dudes...and then you go through a doorway and there's a guy hiddden behind a door...who you punch out. Then you have to move a chain round and climb up...the walls inside that building are AMAZING.

Top Bottom