• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

TEH-CJ said:
What sensitivty is everyone using?

i found defualt abit to sensitive, so i bumped it down a notch and its perfect.
I've bumped it up to two slots down from the maximum...I thought everyone was notching it up. I like it like this.

Does anyone have a link to a good treasure guide? I'm looking for something more descriptive than "behind that one tree that's near some green stuff". Maybe even one with actual pictures.

I definitely notched it up. That made a big difference.

I just got to Level 5, and the game is really starting to pick up. I had no idea what this game really was, but now I'm loving it, and it's on the short list of my GOTY contenders.

Snidely Whiplash said:
Does anyone have a link to a good treasure guide? I'm looking for something more descriptive than "behind that one tree that's near some green stuff". Maybe even one with actual pictures.

HAHAHAHA that is classic.

Green Shinobi said:

I just got to Level 5, and the game is really starting to pick up. I had no idea what this game really was, but now I'm loving it, and it's on the short list of my GOTY contenders.

That is a amazing turn around have fun bro.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Green Shinobi said:
Wow. This is a testament to the power of GAF to help one get the proper perspective.

Taking the replies to my initial post into account, I tried using the advice I got in this thread, and I think I really get the game now. I was playing it all wrong. With a few adjustments, my appreciation for the game has gone way up.

I think I was just taken by surprise by the enemy placement and attack patterns. Now that I know what to look for, I'm really seeing the strengths in the battle system. It really does things that no game has done before.

So thanks for letting me know how wrong I was initially.

See. Uncharted supporters are always right!

Have fun playing. Just a forewarning though... you ain't seen shit yet!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

Glad your enjoying it.

Kittonwy

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
What sensitivity is everyone using?

i found default abit to sensitive, so i bumped it down a notch and its perfect.

I have it at max rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

YYZ

Snidely Whiplash said:
I wrote it this one. There are plenty of pictures, but if you ask me directly here then I can help you out.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/932984/50861

BTW I'm going to try max sens. but the reason I don't like shooting on consoles is the jerky motion so I'm not sure how it will help (it's hard to control the reticule with the analog sticks). Did you guys use max on Resistance?

YYZ said:
I wrote it this one. There are plenty of pictures, but if you ask me directly here then I can help you out.

BTW I'm going to try max sens. but the reason I don't like shooting on consoles is the jerky motion so I'm not sure how it will help (it's hard to control the reticule with the analog sticks). Did you guys use max on Resistance?

Does my avatar have a big poon on it?
Hell no! Of course I used Max Sensitivity.

That treasure guide is great by the way man.

YYZ said:

Thanks a lot now I can get all those god damned treasures. Hooray for unlockable rewards.

Core407

Banned
The PS3s ability to transfer saves is way too underutilized. The only sites out there for game saves blow and are horribly incomplete. Someone should make a thread on GAF or something.

TEH-CJ said:
What sensitivity is everyone using?

i found default abit to sensitive, so i bumped it down a notch and its perfect.

maximum

...oh and I finished it this morning.....and well...it was....perfect....just so perfect :D :D :D

YYZ

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wow at everyone having it at maxiumum O_O

i have it at default and i feel like im doing 360's by just tapping left.

i must suck....

B-Ri

i played default the whole way, it just felt perfect to me, and when i tried hightening it i started missing and not getting the headshots i used to with default.

love this game. Naughty dog if you do DLC untill Uncharted 2, you will stealz my money confirmed D=

Just got to Level 9. I'm apparently 50% complete, and about 4 1/2 hours in, so it should clock in at around 10 hours or so the first time through. Not bad at all.

As much as I love this game so far (which is a lot), some of you are looking at it with some pretty thick Sony-tinted glasses if you don't get annoyed by some stuff that happens. Enemies that suddenly spawn all around you in an apparently empty courtyard? A whole battalion of enemies behind a locked door that I had to scale a deserted tower to find the key to? You have to admit that the enemy spawns are pretty ridiculous. Naughty Dog could have had them teleport in and the game would play the same.

Aside from that, this game is really awesome, although I do miss the early stages where I could do some exploring without having a gunfight every few seconds.

Core407

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Just got to Level 9. I'm apparently 50% complete, and about 4 1/2 hours in, so it should clock in at around 10 hours or so the first time through. Not bad at all.

As much as I love this game so far (which is a lot), some of you are looking at it with some pretty thick Sony-tinted glasses if you don't get annoyed by some stuff that happens. Enemies that suddenly spawn all around you in an apparently empty courtyard? A whole battalion of enemies behind a locked door that I had to scale a deserted tower to find the key to? You have to admit that the enemy spawns are pretty ridiculous. Naughty Dog could have had them teleport in and the game would play the same.

Aside from that, this game is really awesome, although I do miss the early stages where I could do some exploring without having a gunfight every few seconds.

It's a very old school approach to game design. There are situations you encounter that require triggers - from walking past a certain point to killing off all the bad guys to release the next batch. It's very good for what it does but what it does is very straight and to the point. Not much off shooting going on and there is no sandbox aspect to the game.

Green Shinobi said:

yea the spawning and enemy location is nuts, and ND knows it. Hell Nate routinely comments on it. :D But i think they sort of did it because it keeps the pace up and its a bit of a wink to the gamer that its not to be taken too seriously. I mean its not like the enemy spawning is COD4 absurd

TEH-CJ said:
Wow at everyone having it at maxiumum O_O

i have it at default and i feel like im doing 360's by just tapping left.

i must suck....
I thought the gunplay was completely fucking retarded until I upped the sensitivity to max. I was this close to uninstalling the demo before I checked the options.

Core407

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
I thought the gunplay was completely fucking retarded until I upped the sensitivity to max. I was this close to uninstalling the demo before I checked the options.

The default setup is pretty odd. You can't move your aim fast enough to keep up with a running enemy.

I should have the money for this by next week... ok... so I'll admit this isn't a good enough post, it's just... ugh I want to play it. Those screens a couple of pages back didn't help.

Green Shinobi said:

Just finished the game and came in here to post this exact same thing. You pretty much covered all my points. Especially about the sudden courtyard spawning!! Also, I hate the fact that I'll solve a puzzle to open a secret room and there will be guys in there. WTF?

HyperionX

Core407 said:
The default setup is pretty odd. You can't move your aim fast enough to keep up with a running enemy.

You've gotta use melee in close range if possible. The whole game's set up such that you're nearly fucked if you're outflanked, so you'll need to be fast and clever to survive at all.

ypo

Yea I don't get it how can people play on such high sensitivity? o_O I had to lower it to 3 clicks and thought that was perfect. :lol

Got up to chapter 11. Man if this game doesn't rule.

Still, placing this as a pure shooter above Gears of War is pretty ridiculous. I'm sorry, and I don't think I'm trolling this game at all to say that it doesn't outdo Gears as a pure shooter. To make that claim, you're saying that if you took out all the platforming and exploration in Uncharted and whatnot and just left the gun battles, that leftover game would be better than Gears. Sorry, but no. It has great cover mechanics, but it doesn't have the weapons, enemies, level design or hit detection to best Gears as a dedicated shooter.

What I will say is that Uncharted is the best hybrid action game to come along in years. No joke. It blends styles together perfectly. You have your Tomb Raider action that's taken to a whole new level together with combat that's almost as good as the best shooters. Put together, it forms an unstoppable package. Also, the characters and story are great. This is truly next-gen story telling. And it has the best graphics of any game released on consoles this gen.

Core407

Banned
HyperionX said:
You've gotta use melee in close range if possible. The whole game's set up such that you're nearly fucked if you're outflanked, so you'll need to be fast and clever to survive at all.

I played on the hardest setting available on the first play through and by the end of it, I was doing a lot of rambo-type maneuvers. My tactics regain with staying back and gunning them down, but by the end of it - I was charging people with the shotgun, firing from the hip, pulling off rolls to melee encounters and just generally kicking all sorts of ass. :D

Core407 said:
I played on the hardest setting available on the first play through and by the end of it, I was doing a lot of rambo-type maneuvers. My tactics regain with staying back and gunning them down, but by the end of it - I was charging people with the shotgun, firing from the hip, pulling off rolls to melee encounters and just generally kicking all sorts of ass. :D
Do you have any videos of this style of play? I've been much more methodical, and it does lead to me getting pinned down on occasion.

Core407

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Do you have any videos of this style of play? I've been much more methodical, and it does lead to me getting pinned down on occasion.

Well honestly, when I encountered situations that required repeat playthroughs, I kept a mental note of where the enemies came out of initially. From there I would just find the best route to take and hopefully make it through. The enemy AI to me isn't really incredibly great when using a more rambo-type approach. If there is an enemy or two in the area, charging at one - popping a few caps in 'em from the hip and performing a quick one-two melee attack will finish them off. Then just melee the other guy and you're good. I've found that rushing enemies doesn't cause them to fall back or anything. A lot of times I would put my back up against some cover while the enemy had their back to the same cover just on the opposite side. They wouldn't move or anything - except to pop up and shoot at me and then I would just jump over, melee. I shouldn't say all the time but most of the time they wouldn't do anything in this situation. Sometimes they would try and go around.

Awntawn

Green Shinobi said:

It's spawning if they pour out of openings in walls, but not if they're dropped in from an airship? Or climbing out of a hole in the ground? Name a shooter lately that isn't boring as hell that doesn't have "spawning" enemies.

Awntawn said:
It's spawning if they pour out of openings in walls, but not if they're dropped in from an airship? Or climbing out of a hole in the ground? Name a shooter lately that isn't boring as hell that doesn't have "spawning" enemies.
There's something about the way it happens in Uncharted that just feels kind of cheap. Plus you can usually see the airship coming in with its drops, and in Gears, you can definitely tell when an Emergence Hole is about to open.

dralla

Awntawn said:

HL2?

jet1911

Awntawn said:

In Uncharted it's like they appear out of thin air.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Green Shinobi said:

Worse than triggering enemy spawns was how the pirates handled line-of-sight and detection before you even fired a shot. There were times when I would have the drop on a lone enemy and was clearly out of sight of other pirates, and as soon as I punched him, you'd hear "there he is!" and there was no fucking way in hell they could have seen me. It was as if the game really did NOT want you to be stealthy. It really makes melee kind of an underused ability, especially on Crushing.

YYZ

well the environments don't really lend themselves to be stealthy. I've sneaked up on enemies and wondered how they didn't know I was there. Most of the time you see pirates climbing over the walls, it's not that bad. Especially apparent in the courtyard battle. In the sewer battle they come out of the large holes near the roof.

Awntawn said:
Record this happening and I'll paypal you $5.
I've been recording many battles for my walkthrough and I have NOT seen enemies come out of "thin air".

TEH-CJ

Banned
YYZ said:
ARGH, Kittonwy's PSN list is full and his PM box is full :lol

anyone feel free to add me please "YYZed"

I'll add you bro

we can play cod4, and brag about how many headshots we got in uncharted :p

Top Bottom