• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

patsu

chespace said:
Worse than triggering enemy spawns was how the pirates handled line-of-sight and detection before you even fired a shot. There were times when I would have the drop on a lone enemy and was clearly out of sight of other pirates, and as soon as I punched him, you'd hear "there he is!" and there was no fucking way in hell they could have seen me. It was as if the game really did NOT want you to be stealthy. It really makes melee kind of an underused ability, especially on Crushing.

It's his buddies who called you out. The pirates are seldom alone.

Krowley

I just downloaded the demo for this and found it utterly compelling. I've never played gears of war, but this kind of gunplay is totally fun, and the platforming is pretty cool too..

The graphics are awesome the whole presentation is totally unique. I've never played a game that felt exactly like this. There is something about the pacing and the way it all unfolds.

Seems like it's going to be an amazing game, and I'll definitly be buying it sometime before christmas. Funnest PS3 demo I've tried so far other than ninja gaiden (and I've worshiped that game on xbox long before I ever ran the PS3 demo, so it doesn't exactly count)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you punch the guy, he makes sound that alerts others. You have to stealth kill him for others not to notice you.

As for enemies being behind doors you had to find key for, etc. Does that really require that much suspension of disbelief? They found other way in from some other direction, or were dropped around from the helicopter. They obviously have so many more resources at their disposal than you.

Schrade

Just got my copy of Uncharted tonight using the $10.00 off Best Buy coupon. First game I've purchased for my new 60GB PS3 I got on Saturday :)

I have to say, I am really enjoying this game. It's pulling me in like a movie and once I set the sensitivity to max it made it easier for me to aim and control.

Absolutely love how the game is playing out. Wish I had a nice HDTV or monitor to play it on. I'm just playing it on my 27" Sony SDTV. It's totally not doing the game's graphics justice but it still looks good.

I can totally see this as a persistent franchise. Keep it up Naughty Dog! I loves it my precious.

Picked up Uncharted yesterday, and I'm glad I did! I liked the demo, but wasn't overly impressed with it, so I almost skipped it.

Story so far is standard fair (chapter 6), but it's written and acted very well. Characters (especially Drake) feel fleshed out, and likeable. Gameplay, especially the platforming bits, are lots of fun. Although some of the control gets a little wonky here and there. I bounce of edges a lot when jumping to lower platformsGunplay takes a bit of getting used to, and the cover system is ok. It's not Gears, but it works for what it does.

Graphically, it's sorta mixed for me. At times, it's one of the best looking games out there, but I still feel the lighting is off in areas. Things get way to washed out, it loses contrast, and just becomes muddy. Textures can be pretty bad when viewed up close, or even sometimes at a distance. No worse than most other games, so it's not that big a deal. It also suffers from the texture loading that a lot of games have now a days, which I was fairly surprised to see. Framerate wise, it's rock solid so far. Haven't had a single dip!

Overall tho, I'm impressed with the game. Definitely my favorite PS3 game, by far.

_Angelus_

Banned
I beat the game tonight. Total time it took me was around 17 hours. The very last battle was sorta flat next to the rest of the game but overall great game none the less. To the point where I'd recommend the game to friends who were looking for a very nice PS3 game to break in their new system. One thing I don't get though,slight possible spoiler ahead.

I played the whole time on the Hard setting. Once I had beaten the game I noticed I was given these achievement like points,thats when I saw the words easy and normal pop up on my screen. Ok what the hell,I played the whole way through on hard and I didn't see the achievement for hard at all. I also found a total of 46 pieces of hidden treasure out of the 60 that are in the game.

WinFonda

I want to play the full game so bad. I got the demo and loved it, and it looked good even on my crappy SDTV.

I've made a vow not to play the full version until I get my HDTV.

jakeellis01

Angelus said:
I beat the game tonight. Total time it took me was around 17 hours. The very last battle was sorta flat next to the rest of the game but overall great game none the less. To the point where I'd recommend the game to friends who were looking for a very nice PS3 game to break in their new system. One thing I don't get though,slight possible spoiler ahead.

I played the whole time on the Hard setting. Once I had beaten the game I noticed I was given these achievement like points,thats when I saw the words easy and normal pop up on my screen. Ok what the hell,I played the whole way through on hard and I didn't see the achievement for hard at all. I also found a total of 46 pieces of hidden treasure out of the 60 that are in the game.

yup same here... only easy and medium achievements..... I don't get it either

Wollan

Finished the game yesterday in one sitting. Last time I did that (excluding Portal) was probably Silent Hill 1.

Uncharted is the 'warmest' videogame experience this year. Just so full of life from the characters to the environments and so forth. Being that, it's still the most impressive console game yet released and it also succesfully evolves duck&cover gameplay. It's also one of the very very few adventure games that hit a high note in all categories. Great involving story & presentation, great characters & voicing, great inspiring music, gameplay that evolves the genre and at the same time can be replayed with different results each time, tech & art that drives the platform and a ton of unlockables and hidden treasures.

some pics I took :

19d9dbb15558398e445774168c567.jpg

1483b142aa6a3b5cacb2c298355b8.jpg

1a175a18dd949ece0f582158b6738.jpg

03c89e0cd5d64ba36eca38dc9be0e.jpg

38619b0b93796348155ba749c343f.jpg

I love the last one :)

gray_fox224

Call me a believer. I was really skeptical about this game for the majority of the year. Naughty Dog have proven me wrong. Excellent game.

YYZ

Uncharted is a good indicator of the type of material we'll be seeing for PS3 exclusive games coming in 2008 (which is A LOT).

Holy shit at those last set of pics, what kind of set are you playing on?

Ceb

Wow, those last pics make the fortress seem so dark. Makes me wish we would've gotten a real tropical storm in the game.

Brashnir

johnFkennedy said:
Anybody play this game on a Sharp aquos 1080p television? It looks like ass when compared to my old 720p display.

That's what I played it on. I thought it looked great, but I haven't played it on a 720p display.

Ceb said:
Wow, those last pics make the fortress seem so dark. Makes me wish we would've gotten a real tropical storm in the game.

Oh god yeah. That would have kicked ass. The rain on the boat was too little too late, I wish a storm kicked up near the end of the game. Wildly swaying foliage and the works. Weather effects <3

Ciel

Honestly can say it's one of the most engrossing experiences I've had in a game. The only nitpick I have is Donut Drake. I spent all that time 100%ing the game for that? Give me Jak or Crash or something. That costume is retarded.

andycapps

Wollan said:
Finished the game yesterday in one sitting. Last time I did that (excluding Portal) was probably Silent Hill 1.

Uncharted is the 'warmest' videogame experience this year. Just so full of life from the characters to the environments and so forth. Being that, it's still the most impressive console game yet released and it also succesfully evolves duck&cover gameplay. It's also one of the very very few adventure games that hit a high note in all categories. Great involving story & presentation, great characters & voicing, great inspiring music, gameplay that evolves the genre and at the same time can be replayed with different results each time, tech & art that drives the platform and a ton of unlockables and hidden treasures.

If you could give it a score is it a 9 or 10? I hate reading this thread because I've got until Christmas until I can play it, but I keep getting drawn back somehow.. "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in..."
:lol

Me_Marcadet- Those are some of the best pictures I've seen in this thread, too bad you don't have high res versions of them posted.

Narcosis

jakeellis01 said:
yup same here... only easy and medium achievements..... I don't get it either

It's a glitch that randomly occurs. The only solution is to save a separate game before the last boss just to go back and replay that section again if you don't get your reward medal on your main save.

johnFkennedy said:
Anybody play this game on a Sharp aquos 1080p television? It looks like ass when compared to my old 720p display.

How close are you sitting to the TV?

At proper viewing distance, it looks fantastic on my Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p set.

If I stand a couple feet from the tv, it looks like a jaggy mess, it looks great 8-10 feet back.

womfalcs3

Banned
Almost done.
I'm on the boat. I sat there for a good ten minutes fighting monsters before I realized I had to run out before that part of the chapter was over. They were going to infinitely come at me until I ran for the door.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
92% now - the end is near :( I already have a feeling of how the ending will go down, and it ain't gonna be pretty for the bad guys.

Great scary moments throughout the whole section, but now I'm out of that hole and things seem like they are back to normal. I was getting worried for a while that they'll just stick with regular enemies, and that's going to be it. This kind of evil nazi experiment / cursed treasure twist is exactly what I was praying the game would have eventually, and I'm happy ND left it all unspoilered.

Vustadumas said:
Textures can be pretty bad when viewed up close, or even sometimes at a distance. No worse than most other games, so it's not that big a deal.
If this isn't the understatement of the year. Seriously, 99% of other games should only be so happy to have anywhere close the texture quality in this game. Its only problem in this area is that it's not using some huge level of aniso filtering like you can have on PC, so textures can look blurry under extreme angles, but again there doesn't seem to be a console game that has any better aniso levels either.

johnFkennedy said:
Unless you put HD movie watching way ahead of game playing in your entertainment priorities, I think you made a bad choice of getting a 1080p LCD. In any case, try limiting XMB display settings to 720p and see how it goes.

tanod

when is my burrito
YYZ said:
I've been recording many battles for my walkthrough and I have NOT seen enemies come out of "thin air".

They should come out of holes in the ground. That would be much better.

-viper- said:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/uncharteddrakesfortune

"Uncle Douglas B. gave it a 0:
One of the worst games known to mankind. Shoddy controls, terrible story and sucky visuals are just the tip of the iceberg for this smoldering pile of crap. Seriously, I want my life back."

LOL WTF?!
:lol

johnFkennedy said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Looks pretty great on mine.

Marconelly said:
Unless you put HD movie watching way ahead of game playing in your entertainment priorities, I think you made a bad choice of getting a 1080p LCD. In any case, try limiting XMB display settings to 720p and see how it goes.

Are you serious? What makes you say that? I havent seen anything that makes me think the image quality on my Sharp is less than stellar.

Firewire

Banned
Sorry if this is old. I went back a couple pages and found nothing!

Speculation on the possible setting of Uncharted 2.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...127161446343006&releaseId=2006051916508490090

Map apparently released by Sony.
uncharted_map--screenshot_large.jpg

Gameradars Top 3 sites for Uncharted 2, from the map.

1.Lijia
Where: North-West Thailand
thailand--screenshot_large.jpg

2.Robinson Crusoe Island
Where: Fiji, South Pacific
RobinsonCrusoeIsland--screenshot_la.jpg

3.Oak Island
Where: Nova Scotia, Canada
OakIsland--screenshot_large.jpg

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah it aint no walk in the park thats for sure.

I'll tell you what aint no walk in the park.....Crushing...its like you are walking in that park and 20 guys come out and jump you with bats but the bats they swing are actually mini alligators that bite you when they hit. And the alligators teeth are poison tipped....yeah its like that kind of walk in the park on Crushing....

jakeellis01

Angelus said:
I think I got jipped. I beat the game on Hard and I don't see any new difficulty called crushing.
Godamnit I demand this mode. :/

go in the main menu... and press new game... do not load/continue your old game...

Robobandit said:
How close are you sitting to the TV?

At proper viewing distance, it looks fantastic on my Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p set.

If I stand a couple feet from the tv, it looks like a jaggy mess, it looks great 8-10 feet back.

Yes.It looks VERY jaggy from.It helped a little bit when I turned the sharpness down.This game didn't look jaggy at all on my 720p television.

_Angelus_

Banned
jakeellis01 said:
go in the main menu... and press new game... do not load/continue your old game...

Still not working here.
Crushing is grayed out.
Can't access it.

(edit) - ok wait a minute. A few days ago my nephew loaded up my save just to try the game out. Though he didn't complete any of the stages,I noticed that he had changed the difficulty to nomal,I then switched it back to hard.

You suppose this could be the root of the problem?
Damn.

jakeellis01

Angelus said:

Narcosis said:
It's a glitch that randomly occurs. The only solution is to save a separate game before the last boss just to go back and replay that section again if you don't get your reward medal on your main save.

Its not a bug... I just found out that you earn medal points for beating every difficulty. If you only played hard mode... and beaten the game.. the easy, medium and hard medals are automatically acquired

If get to the main menu and check out the bonuses section --> Medals: You can see that both medium, easy & hard medals are acquired. Makes sense, it would be stupid to replay the game on easy and medium to just acquire the medals.

johnFkennedy said:
What settings are you using?

I have the fortunate advantage of having a good friend in the Home Theater industry so he spent a lot of time calibrating it perfectly. Ill ask him what settings I have going. If your running the default settings thats definitely your problem when I first got mine it really didnt look so hot until I calibrated it now it looks quite incredible.

And dont listen to Marconnely his argument certainly applied to the first runs of LCD's but now they display almost as good as plasmas especially the Bravia line.

Okay he used this dvd call AVIA which you can get HERE
Its excellent as it lets you customize exactly what you want your games and movies to look like.

When I go home tonight ill check my settings for you though.

Top Bottom