• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

i can't get over the generic main character. what were they thinking?
i mean, he's no bald space marine and he doesn't necessarily look ugly or anything, but i think he's so standard, so boring, so forgettable, predictable. one look at this guy and you know what kind of character he's supposed to be. this kind of 'cool joe' who is supposed to be tough and masculine but still average enough for little jimmy to identify with... too half-*ssed, doesn't go anywhere.
and then calling him nathan is just the icing on the cake. oh, my...

they should have hired the guy that came up with jack sparrow from pirates of the carribean (i know it's mostly johnny depp's performance, but still). now that's a memorable character. very unique, cool and tough in his own way, but still likeable.

jakeellis01

Angelus said:
Still not working here.
Crushing is grayed out.
Can't access it.

(edit) - ok wait a minute. A few days ago my nephew loaded up my save just to try the game out. Though he didn't complete any of the stages,I noticed that he had changed the difficulty to nomal,I then switched it back to hard.

You suppose this could be the root of the problem?
Damn.

Your nephew may have chosen New game..... and saved the New Game on your previous game save... hence overwriting all your previous saves...... I'm sorry for your loss dude :( you need to re-pass the game.

deepbrown

ShmarthurShmooner said:
i mean, he's no bald space marine and he doesn't necessarily look ugly or anything, but i think he's so standard, so boring, so forgettable, predictable. one look at this guy and you know what kind of character he's supposed to be. this kind of 'cool joe' who is supposed to be tough and masculine but still average enough for little jimmy to identify with... too half-*ssed, doesn't go anywhere.

they should have hired the guy that came up with jack sparrow from pirates of the carribean (i know it's mostly johnny depp's performance, but still). now that's a memorable character. very unique, cool and tough in his own way, but still likeable.
I like him. Played the game? I like him. *looks for Kittowny's smiley*

ShmarthurShmooner said:

I personally think Nathan Drake is the best new character to emerge from gaming in the last 8 years.
Too each his own.

jakeellis01

ShmarthurShmooner said:

although you maybe right, I think this is what Naughty Dog were trying to achieve..

They didn't want to have a cool character, just a regular guy in deep deep shit...
same goes for elena.... she may not be that cute but her personality is great.

That is what makes Naughty Dog games a step further than others imo.

Firewire

Banned
ShmarthurShmooner said:

OMG!

Crusade

ShmarthurShmooner said:

Oh boy :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceLeeRoy said:
Are you serious? What makes you say that? I havent seen anything that makes me think the image quality on my Sharp is less than stellar.
LCDs have very precisely defined pixels, so when you're running anything on them in a non-native resolution, especially if it has to be upscaled, it will look less than ideal. It depends on the quality of the scaler of course as well. That's where his problem might be. If he has his PS3 set to display in 1080p only, the game might be doing upscaling in a less than ideal fashion.

johnFkennedy said:
Yes.It looks VERY jaggy from.It helped a little bit when I turned the sharpness down.This game didn't look jaggy at all on my 720p television.
Again, try disabling the 1080i and 1080p from PS3 XMB settings. Or if that doesn't make it look any better, try disabling 720p and leaving only 1080i and 1080p. That way you'll get TV to upscale in first case, and game will upscale in second case. Maybe one of those will look better than the other.

You should also disable or minimize sharpening, edge enhancements and such stuff. They are not needed, and in fact are detrimental to high quality video sources.

ShmarthurShmooner said:

yes, they should have hired Keith Richards

Core407

Banned
ShmarthurShmooner said:

QFT. The only reason all of it worked so well was because of the high level of quality in the animations, voice work and cut-scenes.

Marconelly said:
LCDs have very precisely defined pixels, so when you're running anything on them in a non-native resolution, especially if it has to be upscaled, it will look less than ideal. It depends on the quality of the scaler of course as well. That's where his problem might be. If he has his PS3 set to display in 1080p only, the game might be doing upscaling in a less than ideal fashion.

That does make sense I think a lot of it has to do with his calibration though if he is using just the stock configurations it really leaves a lot to be desired.

BobTheFork said:
yes, they should have hired Keith Richards
keithrichards460.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think Nate's, Elena's and Sully's characters, as well as Nariko and Bohan from HS are all huge steps in the right direction as far as game characters go. Every single one of them seems like an actual character and not just some avatar - even though neither of them has some huge back story or anything to grease up the imagination - you accept them as characters as they are from the game alone.

Especially surprising coming from ND, who were never that good with characters (Daxter was the only good character they ever came up with before IMO)

Not to say such good characters didn't exist before, but they almost kinda died with the death of P&C adventure games.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
ShmarthurShmooner said:

WTF.

(3500, eh?)

haha, jack sparrow was just an example. other characters i like, this time from video games: midna (ttp), snake (mgs), fran (ffxii). don't you guys agree that those are just flat out better, because more unique and interesting characters than this here nathan drake?

Crusade

ShmarthurShmooner said:
haha, jack sparrow was just an example. other characters i like, this time from video games: midna (ttp), snake (mgs), fran (ffxii). don't you guys agree that those are just flat out better, because more unique and interesting characters than this here nathan drake?
No, not at all. Those are all starkly videogame characters, filled with videogame character problems. You don't need a funny voice and exaggerated dialogue to be an interesting character

Dante

ShmarthurShmooner said:

I couldn't possibly disagree more :)

Played a bit with rumble last night....Twas awesome :D

Forsete

Some screencaps I took

MALuAAQyP.jpg

kNbNRUOeB.jpg

zlmxbRryG.jpg

IwHbAyLSV.jpg

ULXBNtDZs.jpg

cZkDkSCPg.jpg

CtxUiDKpz.jpg

MmvBQOANy.jpg

qPEPDvLxx.jpg

mkzOCPoMz.jpg

aeXNZfcSD.jpg

ApcZhLsja.jpg

rLcciobld.jpg

I remember when PS3 couldnt do textures because of XMB taking up 79.998% of the system RAM.... yeah.

yes, heavenly sword is a great example, the villains in that game are fantastic. that has a lot to do with animation and voice acting, and camera work etc, but they obviously made a conscious decision to try and do something unique there which i wish naughty dog would have done with uncharted as well.

Firewire

Banned
Dante said:
I couldn't possibly disagree more :)

Played a bit with rumble last night....Twas awesome :D

Damn I have two sweet white DS3's here, I want to play with them so bad, but there a gift for a friend who's currently in the hospital. :(

johnFkennedy said:
Yes.It looks VERY jaggy from.It helped a little bit when I turned the sharpness down.This game didn't look jaggy at all on my 720p television.

When you get close it really should not get too messed up looking.

These were both taken a little less than a foot from the tv:

8.jpg

9.jpg

ShmarthurShmooner said:
yes, heavenly sword is a great example, the villains in that game are fantastic. that has a lot to do with animation and voice acting, and camera work etc, but they obviously made a conscious decision to try and do something unique there which i wish naughty dog would have done with uncharted as well.

We need to kill this discussion this is getting ridiculous.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
^^ yeah and the funny ass thing about it is that when you present this game as proof with those pictures no foo tries to refute it well maybe the crazy ones.

Master Z

ShmarthurShmooner said:

I found that Nathan Drake reminded me alot of the Indiana Jones style of character which was refreshing to see in a videogame. How would you of made the main character for a game like Uncharted?

The Chef

ShmarthurShmooner said:

Heavenly Sword had incredibly unique characters because that game had such a fantasy, Lord of the Rings feel to it. Thats why you have such fantastical heroes and villans. Why would Naughty Dog chose a character other than Drake? He has the ideal rugged, humorous Indiana Jones feel to him that couldn't be better for Uncharted.
What exactly would you have done to make this character more unique? Given him long red hair like Nuriko or have eye makeup like Sparrow?

tribal24

Banned
The Chef said:
Heavenly Sword had incredibly unique characters because that game had such a fantasy, Lord of the Rings feel to it. Thats why you have such fantastical heroes and villans. Why would Naughty Dog chose a character other than Drake? He has the ideal rugged, humorous Indiana Jones feel to him that couldn't be better for Uncharted.
What exactly would you have done to make this character more unique? Given him long red hair like Nuriko or have eye makeup like Sparrow?

to make his charecter more unique he would need a huge suit of armor and be bald >.>

The Chef

tribal24 said:
to make his charecter more unique he would need a huge suit of armor and be bald >.>

He's right, Drake should look really cool and special like this.
steiner.jpg

You dont forget a character like that

Gattsu25

Banned
tribal24 said:
The armor would have to be three times the size of football gear, but in damaged and dirty metal.

He would also need an assortment of scars and a lit cigar in his mouth at all times.

His skin color would need to be desaturated.

He wouldn't exactly need to be bald...he can have a minimal amount of hair sticking out from under a du rag!

He would need to have ankles that are 10 inches in diameter and size 23 shoes.

His wrist will need to be around 8 inches in diameter and his hands will have to be around twice the normal size, with his fingers being 4 inches in diameter.

He would also need enough muscles to make him weigh 300lbs without armor or body fat.

Only then would he be original.

Lemming_JRS said:
Ars Technica review:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/uncharted-review.ars

The good:

Tight, gorgeous visual design and presentation
Incredible production values
Captivating story keeps action moving perpetually forward
Great gameplay engine encompasses fist-fights, gun-fights, cover, and acrobatics
Some truly impressive set pieces
Novel trophy/medal system adds an achievement-like collection element

The bad:

Some noticeable visual problems, including skating
Some control quirks in general, with the Seadoo

The ugly:

Finding the very last treasure that you've somehow glossed over after multiple play-throughs.

Pretty good summary

Atrus

Gold Member
Maybe people want Drake to look unique like the other major adventurers like:

Indiana Jones
Alan Quartermain
Charlton Heston in Secret of the Inca's
Humphrey Bogart in the Treasure of Sierra Madre.

Hint: Fedora hats, leather jackers, revolvers and khaki shirts.

Suffice it to say that Drake looking like he does is tacitly original.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
ShmarthurShmooner said:

Fail to understand.

In a world where heroes are horrific violent stereotypes or flat out nothing at all. How is making a normal, somewhat witty guy halfassed?

djkimothy

OK, who the fuck designed the 22nd level. It so frustratingly annoying that it single handedly ruins the game.

Whoever was the designer should be drawn and quartered. The only thing making this level impossible would be if the enemy had grenades.

Loudninja

It has been said before, but it's a fitting comparison: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune very much captures the spirit of Indiana Jones. The game has drawn a lot of comparisons to the Tomb Raider series, but aside from the idea of raiding lost tombs and overcoming some environmental platforming puzzles, the two don't share all that much. Uncharted is, like its inspiration, an adventurous ride on the search for treasure; there's rarely a dull moment, and all-out action is given precedence over sifting through unexplained environmental puzzles. What Tomb Raider lacked in direction and narrative, in action and pace, in control and polish, Uncharted provides in spades.

This quote is so true

tanod

when is my burrito
Atrus said:
Maybe people want Drake to look unique like the other major adventurers like:

bunch of hot-linked pictures

Don't hot link pictures. You're asking for trouble. Get a photobucket account and host your own.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
djkimothy said:
OK, who the fuck designed the 22nd level. It so frustratingly annoying that it single handedly ruins the game.

Whoever was the designer should be drawn and quartered. The only thing making this level impossible would be if the enemy had grenades.

haha what!? Are you not using cover or something?

Dante

djkimothy said:

It's pretty easy when you"learn it", even on Hard.
three shots pause fourth shot.

I wanna keep playing Drake now that I got a DS3, but as a gamer I feel obligated to play Galaxy, which I started last night. It's pretty telling that I just got Mass Effect and Galaxy, yet I just want to play another go around in Uncharted.

djkimothy

[CFD] El Capitan said:
haha what!? Are you not using cover or something?

Are you dense?

Yes of course,
but the boss picks off head shots as
I barrel roll to the next wooden box since my previous cover collapses.

Not to mention, Drake does some fancy shit as he takes cover at the sides of the box, not behind it.

Dante said:
It's pretty easy when you"learn" it, even on Hard.
three shots pause fourth shot.

Yah, I figured that out. And his last shot is scoped. But it's the second wave of M4 soldiers that annoy me, I run out of bullets and the only way to replenish is to run out in the open.

Atrus

Gold Member
djkimothy said:

There are areas where it's permanently safe to hide behind. In part 1 the far left is an area that is safe, in part 2, the area right next to the boxes you climb over is safe and in part 3... I didn't need any since there are only a few guys to begin with. I'm sure there is one like the others but it's safer to be aggressive here with so few bad guys.

All anyone needs to do is shoot the other pirates when the shotgunner is reloading.

Top Bottom