• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dante

djkimothy said:
Are you dense?

Yes of course,
but the boss picks off head shots as
I barrel roll to the next wooden box since my previous cover collapses.

Not to mention, Drake does some fancy shit as he takes cover at the sides of the box, not behind it.

Yah, I figured that out. And his last shot is scoped. But it's the second wave of M4 soldiers that annoy me, I run out of bullets and the only way to replenish is to run out in the open.

You can kinda cheat the second area if thats giving you trouble :)
If you run back to the first area, you can creep around that corner by standing on the crates and pick em off one by one. Roll back to the first area when you get low. Also the shotgun is your friend here.

djkimothy

Atrus said:
There are areas where it's permanently safe to hide behind. In part 1 the far left is an area that is safe, in part 2, the area right next to the boxes you climb over is safe and in part 3... I didn't need any since there are only a few guys to begin with. I'm sure there is one like the others.

All anyone needs to do is shoot the other pirates when the shotgunner is reloading.

No, in the first area the left side is open to the guy in the far right. And it's still open to the laser, but just barely. I don't die because of the soldiers I die cause of the
boss, he can pull of head shots as you roll

There is no real permanent cover since the have 2 guys back and 1 gay to flank you. I know the AI is smart, but the design is set up in a way that you're open at a side.

If you run back to the first area, you can creep around that corner by standing on the crates and pick em off one by one. Roll back to the first area when you get low. Also the shotgun is your friend here.

OK, I'll try that. But the shot gun I find useless since its accuracy is nerfed.

I find that in the first level, I can take out 1 of the guys as he runs for cover out in the open, only leaving me with 2 guys. The first area is easy, but the second area the computer is cheap since I empty half a clip to take down a guy. And I have no time to aim for the head.

Mesijs

Well, 92% complete on Crushing with 11hrs 32 mins and 42 treasures and 560 points. :D

Almost done. After the
plot twist
it isn't that difficult because
you use run and gun constantly.
I'm looking forward to completing it on Crushing, but what to do then? :(

JB1981

You just have to figure out the boss' shooting pattern. After that, it's cake. Took me quite a while to realize it, though.

djkimothy

JB1981 said:
You just have to figure out the boss' shooting pattern. After that, it's cake. Took me quite a while to realize it, though.

No, I already know the bosses shooting pattern, it's his Godlike aim plus low ammo that's killing me.

I just cehck Cuecuit city online , they out of stock online and in store ,dammit

It's gotten pretty good buzz here. Even the EB store guy said the game was good. Surprised since the EB guys around here are so anti PS3.

Dante

djkimothy said:
No, I already know the bosses shooting pattern, it's his Godlike aim plus low ammo that's killing me.

It's gotten pretty good buzz here. Even the EB store guy said the game was good. Surprised since the EB guys around here are so anti PS3.

Yeah if you can take the first crop out with the shotgun then, you'll have all their clips for the second part. I usually go into the second area and take the first kamikazee dude out, then resort to the tactic posted above.

djkimothy said:
I find that in the first level, I can take out 1 of the guys as he runs for cover out in the open, only leaving me with 2 guys. The first area is easy, but the second area the computer is cheap since I empty half a clip to take down a guy. And I have no time to aim for the head.

You can also
destroy Navarro's cover first. You still have to take out the others, but at least you don't have to worry about Navarro's return fire.

djkimothy said:
Are you dense?

Yes of course,
but the boss picks off head shots as
I barrel roll to the next wooden box since my previous cover collapses.

Not to mention, Drake does some fancy shit as he takes cover at the sides of the box, not behind it.

Yah, I figured that out. And his last shot is scoped. But it's the second wave of M4 soldiers that annoy me, I run out of bullets and the only way to replenish is to run out in the open.

Keep playing, you will get it. Its really not that hard.
Listen to the timing of the shots. Also, take out Navaro's cover bye shotting it with the SAS 12 or the AK47. He will retreat and you will not have to worry about the head shots then. Hope this helps.
Also, I thought the design of the level was pretty darn good.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have the fortunate advantage of having a good friend in the Home Theater industry so he spent a lot of time calibrating it perfectly. Ill ask him what settings I have going. If your running the default settings thats definitely your problem when I first got mine it really didnt look so hot until I calibrated it now it looks quite incredible.

And dont listen to Marconnely his argument certainly applied to the first runs of LCD's but now they display almost as good as plasmas especially the Bravia line.

Okay he used this dvd call AVIA which you can get HERE
Its excellent as it lets you customize exactly what you want your games and movies to look like.

When I go home tonight ill check my settings for you though.

Thanks a million,mister!

Seriously,thank you.

johnFkennedy said:
Thanks a million,mister!

Seriously,thank you.

Yeah no problem man anything you spend over a grand on should automatically look bitchen but unfortunately you got to work for it with these tv's.

Ill write down all my settings tonight and post them later this evening.

djkimothy

BruceLeeRoy said:
Aren't all EB store guys?

:lol I guess. I don't know. I rarely go to EB, but Futureshop and Best Buy didn't have Uncharted in stock. They're really slow stocking the new stuff.

K. I'm off to trying your suggestions for level 22. Thanks for your help and patience!

Gaargh!

Marconelly said:
LCDs have very precisely defined pixels, so when you're running anything on them in a non-native resolution, especially if it has to be upscaled, it will look less than ideal. It depends on the quality of the scaler of course as well. That's where his problem might be. If he has his PS3 set to display in 1080p only, the game might be doing upscaling in a less than ideal fashion.

Again, try disabling the 1080i and 1080p from PS3 XMB settings. Or if that doesn't make it look any better, try disabling 720p and leaving only 1080i and 1080p. That way you'll get TV to upscale in first case, and game will upscale in second case. Maybe one of those will look better than the other.

You should also disable or minimize sharpening, edge enhancements and such stuff. They are not needed, and in fact are detrimental to high quality video sources.

When I turn on uncharted it switches from 1080p to 720p so i'm running it at the right resolution.Also,when I minimize sharpening the character models look better,but the textures suffer.

johnFkennedy said:
When I turn on uncharted it switches from 1080p to 720p so i'm running it at the right resolution.Also,when I minimize sharpening the character models look better,but the textures suffer.

Yeah dont worry man we will fix you up.
Did you see that link to CNET I posted? It has some good settings to start with and then we can fine tune it tonight.

antiloop

ShmarthurShmooner said:
they should have hired the guy that came up with jack sparrow from pirates of the carribean (i know it's mostly johnny depp's performance, but still). now that's a memorable character. very unique, cool and tough in his own way, but still likeable.

heh..

Now someone with 1337 photoshop skills have to attach this Jack to one of the pictures on the last page:
captain_jack_sparrow.jpg

Funny stuff. ;)

deepbrown

Mesijs said:
Well, 92% complete on Crushing with 11hrs 32 mins and 42 treasures and 560 points. :D

Almost done. After the
plot twist
it isn't that difficult because
you use run and gun constantly.
I'm looking forward to completing it on Crushing, but what to do then? :(
I told you! You MIRROR THE WORLD....it's like a whole new game and even harder than crushing.

Mesijs

deepbrown said:
I told you! You MIRROR THE WORLD....it's like a whole new game and even harder than crushing.

I already tooled around with it a bit, seems to be funny. And I want to get all the rewards and such and try out some skins. Thanks for the advice. :p

Atrus

Gold Member
djkimothy said:
No, in the first area the left side is open to the guy in the far right. And it's still open to the laser, but just barely. I don't die because of the soldiers I die cause of the
boss, he can pull of head shots as you roll

There is no real permanent cover since the have 2 guys back and 1 gay to flank you. I know the AI is smart, but the design is set up in a way that you're open at a side.

I just played it on crushing with the strategy I used on 'hard' just to make sure.

Area 1

The left side is safe, the key is to stay on the left side of the wooden unbreakable crates as opposed to the edge where the shotgun can shoot through. Drake will still pop out from behind cover even if he's on the farthest left of that crate and the pirate on the right won't get you while hidden either.

Then pop off some shots on the guy to the far right. Then shoot the guy in the open. Then the remaining pirate next to him in cover in sets of twos. Patience is key and time the shots when the shotgunner is reloading.

Area 2.

The divide and cargo container next to it is safe. You only need to worry about the pirates that run at you from area 3 in the midpoint of this battle and the initial one that expose your cover. The first couple are easy to deal with and if the 3 start coming out you can quickly run back to area 1 and slowly edge back into area 2. After these are dead you can simply step out from cover behind the green cargo container manually (because you don't want to stay at the edge) and waste those remaining.

Area 3.
There is a safe area right where the containers fell on Drake. Staying here makes you safe from everything except the pirates advancing on you, and so long as you remember to run away a bit from the edge when the grenade launcher guy shows up.

Area 4. Self-explanatory in what they want you to do. When you run to attack him, approach in a J shape rather than a straight line. Like real life they made it so he has to turn a bit more to aim at you which buys a heck of a lot more time to reach him.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
johnFkennedy said:
Try disabling 720p from the XMB then, and only leave 1080i or 1080p selected. See if that makes any difference.

Dot50Cal

Banned
tanod said:
Dot50, am I remembering correctly when I thought you had an HD capture card?

Yes :p

I'll see if Blim will let me do some videos for the game. Its fairly late after its release though, so he probably has most of it covered. :lol

Co-op and Multi player would have been so awesome with this engine!!! Oh well, I am glad they did a kick ass single player because that is something that is truly lacking in a lot of game. I am not huge on MP but I think it would have been totally kick ass! And to me Co-op with Elana and Sully is a no brainer. I want it, but not at the cost of Single player.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh yeah, one thing that disappoints me about the game - There are no monkeys!!

Where are my damn monkeys in my damn jungle? Wasn't there someone couple of months ago here saying that they saw one?

Marconelly said:
Oh yeah, one thing that disappoints me about the game - There are no monkeys!!

Where are my damn monkeys in my damn jungle? Wasn't there someone couple of months ago here saying that they saw one?

There are monkeys, I pretty sure they are in the jungle scene where Sully is talking about a finding a Bride in a Brothel, lol!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
cjtiger300 said:
There are monkeys, I pretty sure they are in the jungle scene where Sully is talking about a finding a Bride in a Brothel, lol!
O_O You have got to be kidding me. I'll have to replay all of that as soon as I finish the game.

deepbrown said:
Yup there are monkeys :)

Yup I saw monkeys and a parrot :)

Dot50Cal said:
Yes :p

I'll see if Blim will let me do some videos for the game. Its fairly late after its release though, so he probably has most of it covered. :lol

Those screens are absolute gems man nice job thanks for the effort.

Dante

There are definetly monkeys they are fast little buggers, kinda like the rats. I hope they put medals in the sequel for shooting the wildlife :lol

Dante said:
There are definetly monkeys they are fast little buggers, kinda like the rats. I hope they put medals in the sequel for shooting the wildlife :lol

Yeah, I tried to shot the Toucan and the white dove or seagull, what ever that bird was. They just fly off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I didn't see a monkey and I didn't see a parrot, but I did see two toucans, just on the level that was in the demo. Are the monkeys only on that early level where you go around with Sully, or are they on the later levels as well (on the island)

Jim

Lemming_JRS said:
You can also
destroy Navarro's cover first. You still have to take out the others, but at least you don't have to worry about Navarro's return fire.

That was my method...
flushing him out buy blasting the crate, and then taking out the last 2 guys in the first area with the brutal combo to get 2x ammo (x2). You don't have to kill all the enemies to make him move on. Just pick apart his cover.

Wollan

You can also change difficulty during the adventure which is a nice touch. Some games let you scale down after numerous deaths but Uncharted lets you change at will I believe.

_Angelus_

Banned
jakeellis01 said:
Your nephew may have chosen New game..... and saved the New Game on your previous game save... hence overwriting all your previous saves...... I'm sorry for your loss dude :( you need to re-pass the game.

Its allright.
I've started a new game on Hard and am making back up saves just to be sure I get the achievement this time. Already 40% through with 3 hours of play time. Lots of fun playing again so I'll unlock Crushing mode pretty soon.

Btw-do they move some of the hidden treasures around the next time you start a new game after beating the game once? I found a few that I don't think I missed the first time around,some of the ones laying around were pretty obvious,like right there infront of you obvious. I doubt I would have missed them the first time. I'm not really hunting for those though,just want to beat the game and unlock crushing mode more than anything else.

Oh and its pretty neat that your given new things to use early on in the game once you go in the rewards menu. These makes some of the tough levels not that tough now.

Overall I like how Naughy Dog gave lots of replay value with stuff that is still there to be unlocked.

_Angelus_

Banned
Whats the crazy talk about the main character being generic?
Everything about the character oozes a refreshing take on him. He's sorta a stud and dork all rolled into one,has a cool sense of humor,and has a Ben Affleck kind of action hero thing going on.

If anything I find Elana the one thats abit too plain.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Wollan said:
You can also change difficulty during the adventure which is a nice touch. Some games let you scale down after numerous deaths but Uncharted lets you change at will I believe.
Yeah that was an extremely nice touch. It was nice to know that I could always drop it back down to Normal if I got into a pinch, but that actually served as more of an inspiration to not wuss out and drop the difficulty down.

Top Bottom