• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

YYZ

cjtiger300 said:
YYZ, why do your walk through vids go from chapter 6 to chapter 15?
well I decided partway through hard mode to record some video, so I started at the monastery. I also did Ch.13 because the library puzzle gave a lot of people trouble for some reason. I've only reached Ch.9 now of my walkthrough. I won't be updating for a while because of school.

-Rogue5-

Dot50Cal, how are you taking those screens? debug?

I really liked Nathan. He'd have some really lame line (like the "12345...ahhhh" when pulling the chute), but follow it up with something real (like the "shit" when he wakes up in front of the statue.) Plus there was never a moment where he became a drama queen; he would have some quirky/dorky humour, but it was balanced with realistic frustration rather than faux-anger. It worked and the only reason I couldn't see anyone being at least okay with him (the character) is if they didn't finish the game...

IzumiK

Banned
ShmarthurShmooner said:
i can't get over the generic main character. what were they thinking?
i mean, he's no bald space marine and he doesn't necessarily look ugly or anything, but i think he's so standard, so boring, so forgettable, predictable. one look at this guy and you know what kind of character he's supposed to be. this kind of 'cool joe' who is supposed to be tough and masculine but still average enough for little jimmy to identify with... too half-*ssed, doesn't go anywhere.
and then calling him nathan is just the icing on the cake. oh, my...

they should have hired the guy that came up with jack sparrow from pirates of the carribean (i know it's mostly johnny depp's performance, but still). now that's a memorable character. very unique, cool and tough in his own way, but still likeable.

Watch Stargate SG-1? Does O'neil come off as boring? Probably to the shallow people, but O'neil is one of the best characters in TV and Nate reminds me of him. Actually more so of Major Sheppherd.

Why are there pirates in chapter 14? There is no reason for them to be there. There is no way they could have gotten there. I just threw my controller across the room in anger after hearing "there he is!" in an underground catacomb that I just opened up.

Naughty Dog is fucking retarded. I can't even begin to express it.

B-Ri

Green Shinobi said:
Why are there pirates in chapter 14? There is no reason for them to be there. There is no way they could have gotten there. I just threw my controller across the room in anger after hearing "there he is!" in an underground catacomb that I just opened up.

because the pirates are just blasting their way through every corner of the island vs drake solving his way through.

relax.....

patsu

Green Shinobi said:

Huh ? I thought it was explained in the game that they were working with the merc ? In fact, it was hinted earlier on when Nathan was in the cell with the pirate head.

The bad guys have been on the island for a while now. Naturally, they have started digging and blowing up holes to find a way to the treasure. They don't have Drake's diary to guide them, so they did whatever felt right to them. As you can tell from the game, quite a few areas have been breeched... except for the real entrance.

You'll be glad they are there in later levels.

Maggot9

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

wow

Green Shinobi said:

Sully sent them on the wild goosechase on the other-side which if you listen to their conversation they say are currently exploring. The game at least sets it up that your going to run into them. But all that said you need to calm down bro.

Oh and just for the record your like 13 right? I only say so because the last time I threw a controller it was on super nes and I was fighting ehonda on super street fighter and he was being cheap as f%*#$....and I was 13.

deepbrown

Green Shinobi said:

It makes perfect sense if you were paying attention. And it's fun. You'd make SHITE games if you made them. You're pretty irrational dude...hate to live with you, so hot and cold.

The Chef

Angelus said:
If anything I find Elana the one thats abit too plain.

She needs some bigger tatas @_@

Green Shinobi said:

...Did it really make you that mad?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oh and just for the record your like 13 right? I only say so because the last time I threw a controller it was on super nes and I was fighting ehonda on super street fighter and he was being cheap as f%*#$....and I was 13.

:lol :lol

-Rogue5-

Green Shinobi said:

Joke post? You should play the rest of the game as there is a reason why the pirates are still there.
He goes by the name, Eddie Raja; leader of a band of mercenaries akin to modern-day pirates.

How do the saves work in relations to the treasures and medals attached to them? My first go through I found 20 odd treasures. I then went through again on hard and got all the medals that I missed the first time. Both trips through are on different save files. If I delete the file from my first run will those medals disappear from my stats in the 2nd?

Kittonwy

Banned
BelligerentOC said:
How do the saves work in relations to the treasures and medals attached to them? My first go through I found 20 odd treasures. I then went through again on hard and got all the medals that I missed the first time. Both trips through are on different save files. If I delete the file from my first run will those medals disappear from my stats in the 2nd?

If you transferred those medals and treasures to the new save file your new save file would have your previous medals and treasures, I finished the game on hard, started a new game on a new save file on crushing but when the game asked me if I wanted to carry over the medals and treasures I picked yes, I finished the game on crushing, found everything and all the medals and treasures are on the new save, I deleted the first save and it was fine. You have to check to see if your second run through save file has everything you've accumulated so far though.

Atrus

Gold Member
Honestly, what did Green think the pirates were doing with stacks of explosives to begin with? As you can see through the game, there are huge rents natural or otherwise which lead back to the surface.

Drake is re-tracing Sir Drake's steps. The mercs are just blasting areas they think the treasure might be in because they don't have the diary.

-Rogue5- said:
Joke post? You should play the rest of the game as there is a reason why the pirates are still there.
He goes by the name, Eddie Raja; leader of a band of mercenaries akin to modern-day pirates.

Atrus said:
Honestly, what did Green think the pirates were doing with stacks of explosives to begin with? As you can see through the game, there are huge rents natural or otherwise which lead back to the surface.

Drake is re-tracing Sir Drake's steps. The mercs are just blasting areas they think the treasure might be in because they don't have the diary.

:lol :lol :lol

Fuck, the U.D.F.D.F. is pretty relentless.

Surely you can see how ridiculous it is that pirates would be in the underground catacombs, can't you? I mean, I was the only one to solve the mystery of those four statues that opened up the path to the underground. There aren't any holes leading down there. There's a gate blocking the other way in that I had to open up. It's just ridiculous.

It's like someone at Naughty Dog made this great, ambient area, and one of the producers said "you know what would make this area awesome? More enemies. Forget that there's no logical way there could be enemies there. Just put them in."

It just cheapens the game so fucking much. It's as if Capcom decided that every single hallway in Resident Evil needed to have zombies in it. Every one. It makes me want to tear my hair out. I don't mind the battles, but I do mind things that completely defy all reason.

Green Shinobi said:

Surely you can see how ridiculous it is that pirates would be in the underground catacombs, can't you? I mean, I was the only one to solve the mystery of those four statues that opened up the path to the underground. There aren't any holes leading down there. There's a gate blocking the other way in that I had to open up. It's just ridiculous.

It's like someone at Naughty Dog made this great, ambient area, and one of the producers said "you know what would make this area awesome? More enemies. Forget that there's no logical way there could be enemies there. Just put them in."

It just cheapens the game so fucking much. It's as if Capcom decided that every single hallway in Resident Evil needed to have zombies in it. Every one. It makes me want to tear my hair out. I don't mind the battles, but I do mind things that completely defy all reason.

You get really pissed off at movies huh? I bet Transformers drives you batty "ITS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE FOR A 40 FOOT TALL ROBOT TO TRANSFORM INTO A MUSTANG IT DEFYS ALL REASON!"

JAWS: "BULLSH$@$ SHARKS ARENT THAT BIG!"
BATMAN BEGINS: "NO CLOTH CAN STAND UP TO NORMAL TEMPERATURE AND WIND RESISTANCE TO A GREAT ENOUGH DEGREE TO CREATE FLIGHT!"

The Chef

Green Shinobi said:

You just get pissed off at life in general huh?

Even though life handed you a big bowl of shit remember you can always make shit salad.

Kosma

Banned
Guys it's time to ridicule me. I was studying and wanted to take a break for an hour, telling myself that I can't play Uncharted till I finish. Then I spent 3 hours on GAF :(

Tommorow I'll get some heavy playtime in though!

:lol @ Shinobi! Must be tough being you and going to the movies.

deepbrown

Green Shinobi said:

WAIT UNTIL YOU GET FURTHER YOU MUPPET. UHhhhhhhhhhhh. Why does everything have to be explained BEFORE you get there!? It's all fucking weird...the whole game is about "WTF is going on!" ...Who are these people trying to kill me!? It's all about them being one step ahead of you...using brute force instead of brains! GAWD. You're meant to feel frustrated...and they will always be ahead of you. Gah!

Just wait until you get to the end and then give us your impressions, because every thing you've said so far is explained as you continue the game and you sound like a retard. It doesn't defy reason...YOU defy reason.

oo Kosma oo said:
Guys it's time to ridicule me. I was studying and wanted to take a break for an hour, telling myself that I can't play Uncharted till I finish. Then I spent 3 hours on GAF :(

Tommorow I'll get some heavy playtime in though!

:lol @ Shinobi! Must be tough being you and going to the movies.

I was thinking the same thing.

The Chef said:
You just get pissed off at life in general huh?

Even though life handed you a big bowl of shit remember you can always make shit salad.

:lol

YYZ

Green Shinobi said:

so you must hate 90% of TV shows and movies because a lot of stuff is just bullshit and requires a touch of imagination.

BruceLeeRoy said:
You get really pissed off at movies huh? I bet Transformers drives you batty "ITS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE FOR A 40 FOOT TALL ROBOT TO TRANSFORM INTO A MUSTANG IT DEFYS ALL REASON!"
There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and complete cheese. Transformers is the former. Pirates in the underground catacombs is the latter.

Why are you guys getting so worked up over someone pointing out one single flaw in the game?

Edit: especially after I've praised many other aspects of the game's design?

BeeDog

You still have to have a suspension of disbelief when you play ANY games. Heck, even Crysis, Bioshock, The Witcher, etc., all great games, have enemies coming from seemingly impossible places. Didn't you just clear out a full quadrant of the city in Bioshock? Still, an enemy spawns from a room that was empty just a couple of minutes ago.

Nitpicking won't help at all when it comes to games.

The Chef

Green Shinobi said:
There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and complete cheese. Transformers is the former. Pirates in the underground catacombs is the latter.

Why are you guys getting so worked up over someone pointing out one single flaw in the game?

Dude seriously, just stop. Your done.

deepbrown

Green Shinobi said:

Because your flaw has NO reason. You have no logic to back up your criticism...unless you finish the game and understand the whole narrative, and what is going on.

Ignore these other comments and read mine. Though forceful it gets to the bottom of your complaint and refutes it. I helped you out once before...trust me again. You are MEANT to be questioning "How did they get there". Stop thinking of it as a videogame, and think of it as the movie narrative...everything happens for a reason Green man.

Green Shinobi said:

Edit: especially after I've praised many other aspects of the game's design?

Dude its not a flaw unless this is the first time you have ever played a game it seriously should be nothing new to you. Even the whole idea of the "emergance holes" in your precious Gears is ridiculous but does anyone give a damn I am so surprised you were able to still enjoy that game.

Firewire

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

JAWS: "BULLSH$@$ SHARKS ARENT THAT BIG!"
BATMAN BEGINS: "NO CLOTH CAN STAND UP TO NORMAL TEMPERATURE AND WIND RESISTANCE TO A GREAT ENOUGH DEGREE TO CREATE FLIGHT!"

deepbrown

the_id said:
I was wondering how the fuck those pirates got into the catacombs as well? did they manage to find it that fast? WTF?!
Wondering HOW they did does not point to it being bad game design...it's just a mystery in the narrative that can be solved.

Firewire WTF is that!?
holiday2.jpg

Kosma

Banned
I can't believe Drake can be hit by so many bullets yet he doesn't die, his health even regenerates :lol WTF is this shit?!!?

I'm not playing this game again until everybody here knows HOW ANGRY THIS MAKES ME.

stay gold

Who cares how they got there, what fun is there in walking through empty hallways? That bit is actually my favourite part of the game so far, the atmosphere down there is great.

deepbrown said:
Because your flaw has NO reason. You have no logic to back up your criticism...unless you finish the game and understand the whole narrative, and what is going on.

Ignore these other comments and read mine. Though forceful it gets to the bottom of your complaint and refutes it. I helped you out once before...trust me again. You are MEANT to be questioning "How did they get there". Stop thinking of it as a videogame, and think of it as the movie narrative...everything happens for a reason Green man.
You're my new favorite poster.

I'm just going to trust in Naughty Dog from here on out. I suppose the game would get pretty boring if it didn't always keep you on your toes with the threat of pirates around every corner. :D

I hope you guys don't forget that I've been praising most aspects of the game because I pointed out what I thought was a (minor) flaw. This game is already in my top 10 for the year, and I can see it moving into the top 5 if it keeps up the way it's going (as of Chapter 15).

The Chef

Green Shinobi said:
You're my new favorite poster.

I'm just going to trust in Naughty Dog from here on out. I suppose the game would get pretty boring if it didn't always keep you on your toes with the threat of pirates around every corner. :D

You will gain a lot more satisfaction and enjoyment from games if you have this attitude. ;)

Green Shinobi said:
I hope you guys don't forget that I've been praising most aspects of the game because I pointed out what I thought was a (minor) flaw. This game is already in my top 10 for the year, and I can see it moving into the top 5 if it keeps up the way it's going (as of Chapter 15).

but you did hurl you controller across the room and smash it to little pieces :eek:

Kosma

Banned
Firewire said:
Its my Santa Seasons Greetings avatar. Its only temporary till I get my x-mass lama one done.

Do you know that there is an ancient deity called LAMMA? Yes that's what I've been studying today.

deepbrown

Green Shinobi said:
You can praise something as much as you like but when you say something which you can't yet justify it doesnt make it any better.

For example, you can save the lives of hundreds of children, but you should still go to jail when you shoot just one in the head.:D

Top Bottom