• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Up to Chapter 19. This game is starting to draw a lot more from Resident Evil in these later chapters. A much more action-packed Resident Evil, that is.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wollan said:
This is me revoking your gaming license CJ.

Uncharted 2 should absolutely be their next game.

Uncharted 2: Drake's Walkabout.

Haha :p

yea no i cant wait for another uncharted, its one of the best games i have had the plesure of playing, but i miss jak :(

jak2/3 gave me this warm fussy feeling that i have not experienced in any other game, and thats saying alot...

Kittonwy

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
I want another jak game

uncharted is amazing n all and I'm up for another sequel, but its not jak :(, JAK Universe and setting is just unmatched.

plz ND make another jak!

Don't make me punch u out rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'd play another Jak game if Amy Hennig wrote it.

I'd never play another Jak game if they let whoever wrote it previously write it.

Kittonwy

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I'd play another Jak game if Amy Hennig wrote it.

I'd never play another Jak game if they let whoever wrote it previously write it.

Daniel E Arey has gone over to Ready At Dawn, Amy should be the main writer now, but Uncharted is more her kind of game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kittonwy said:
Daniel E Arey has gone over to Ready At Dawn, Amy should be the main writer now, but Uncharted is more her kind of game.

Thanks for the news. Now I know to never buy a Ready At Dawn game. Ever.

EDIT: I just realized that Ready At Dawn made Daxter for the PSP. How fucking fitting. The worst character with the lowest common denominator "wit" ever created in any major game in the past 10 years. And that's the character they chose for their platformer.

Seriously, I'd rather play a Scrappy Do platformer than ever hear another word out of Daxter's mouth.

nib95

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
Yea the jetski stages were pretty uninspiring, the only downfall in the game imho.

The first jet ski level was a bit drab. Having to stop to shoot. But the second one when you're fighting against the river rapids was marvellous. Bit like a next gen wave race.

YYZ said:
is this some kind of joke site? You have to wonder why comments are disabled :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, that review sounded terrible. It was a chick version of the monotone guy from Ferris Bueller's day off. 50 seconds of my life wasted.

Atrus

Gold Member
the_id said:
where would guys like the next unchrated to be?

This is the third board I'm answering this but:

"Given the nature of Uncharted and the route it took perhaps searching for the lost treasures of the Knights Templar maybe? The Templar are the 'Poor Knights of the Temple of Solomon' after all, maybe it's a different temple. A trip that takes them from the middle-eastern marketplaces of Jerusalem to the ruins of what is said to be the mines of King Solomon deep within the jungles of the Congo, a trek that unwittingly uncovers the site of the real Foundation Stone, an ancient and powerful artifact capable of razing cities.

All at the same time pursued by a small time gangster and former 'friend', a secret order of assassins headed by a sexy femme fatale (a romatic foil for Elena), and an african warlord and his militia.

Alternatively, Drake could set out searching for treasure from the mysterious Kingdom of Prestor John in Ethiopia and stumbles across a clue that paints it as the fabled Shangri La which lies hidden in a tropical valley near the Himalayas, and of the treasures enshrined there, including the mythical Fountain of Living Waters aka. The Fountain of Life. Guarded by immortal warriors and pursued by agents of the Russian Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti (FSD a real-life controversial intelligence agency), Drake face his hardest mission yet and others around him get hurt."

Lot's of remote places have architecture that could be used as an influence in design like Takstan monastery which is built into the cliffs:

Takstan-monastery.jpg

Salazar

Using the frogs in an RPG apothecary style would be awesome - catching different species for their properties (heal, poison, adrenaline).

TEH-CJ said:
Yea the jetski stages were pretty uninspiring, the only downfall in the game imho.

why do developers feel the obligation to include vehicle stages to break up monotony? If you design the game well and vary between shooter, stealth ect then there is no monotony. crappy vehicle sections are worse than repetitive gameplay, especially so if that gameplay is great. This isnt an attack on uncharteds vehicle section just an attack on crappy vehicle sections ala gears. Hopefully I will enjoy the jet ski when i eventually get a PS3. Game looks great, lucky PS3 owners this christmas.

Got to the part where things, um, take a turn for the worse.

Did anyone think that the monsters look just like the ones in The Descent? I know I'm not the only one. Great, great movie if you haven't seen it. Kind of scary though.

Wow. This game just keeps taking things to the next level. GOTY contender for sure. I don't see how it's averaging below a 90%. And you can add me to the list of people who loved the jet-ski stages. Getting that jet-ski up the rapids was one of the most satisfying things I've done in gaming.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Atrus said:
This is the third board I'm answering this but:

"Given the nature of Uncharted and the route it took perhaps searching for the lost treasures of the Knights Templar maybe? The Templar are the 'Poor Knights of the Temple of Solomon' after all, maybe it's a different temple. A trip that takes them from the middle-eastern marketplaces of Jerusalem to the ruins of what is said to be the mines of King Solomon deep within the jungles of the Congo, a trek that unwittingly uncovers the site of the real Foundation Stone, an ancient and powerful artifact capable of razing cities.

All at the same time pursued by a small time gangster and former 'friend', a secret order of assassins headed by a sexy femme fatale (a romatic foil for Elena), and an african warlord and his militia.

Alternatively, Drake could set out searching for treasure from the mysterious Kingdom of Prestor John in Ethiopia and stumbles across a clue that paints it as the fabled Shangri La which lies hidden in a tropical valley near the Himalayas, and of the treasures enshrined there, including the mythical Fountain of Living Waters aka. The Fountain of Life. Guarded by immortal warriors and pursued by agents of the Russian Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti (FSD a real-life controversial intelligence agency), Drake face his hardest mission yet and others around him get hurt."

Lot's of remote places have architecture that could be used as an influence in design like Takstan monastery which is built into the cliffs:

Takstan-monastery.jpg

I like the second idea. Imagine Drake having to take on sword wielding monks? AFW

TEH-CJ

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
why do developers feel the obligation to include vehicle stages to break up monotony? If you design the game well and vary between shooter, stealth ect then there is no monotony. crappy vehicle sections are worse than repetitive gameplay, especially so if that gameplay is great. This isnt an attack on uncharteds vehicle section just an attack on crappy vehicle sections ala gears. Hopefully I will enjoy the jet ski when i eventually get a PS3. Game looks great, lucky PS3 owners this christmas.

I agree 110%

Dez

Is there any way to melee the
zombies? It's silly that the only enemies that really get a chance to get close to you are the ones you can't melee.
Unless I'm missing something.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Dez said:
zombies? It's silly that the only enemies that really get a chance to get close to you are the ones you can't melee.

No you cant mellee them

try to and they pwn your ass :p

Kittonwy

Banned
Salazar said:
Using the frogs in an RPG apothecary style would be awesome - catching different species for their properties (heal, poison, adrenaline).

No offense intended but the series really doesn't need menu-style micro-management ala MGS3, the last thing you need when you have an incredibly well-paced game is to have the player press start, PAUSING THE GAME, go into some stupid menu and try to pick the right frog to cure some poison, essentially stalling any momentum you've built by fine-tuning the mechanics, set pieces, environments, enemy placement and everything else just to keep the game flowing smoothly, only to break everything by forcing the player to fiddle around with stupid shit like med packs/armor/leveling up. What's next? Dress Drake up in fucking CAMO?

LAWLZ.
Indifferent2.gif

B-Ri

Dez said:

i never tried, i was too freaked out and they hit harddddd, i just started run and shooting style in some of the segments cause they moved too fast

TEH-CJ

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Got to the part where things, um, take a turn for the worse.

Did anyone think that the monsters look just like the ones in The Descent? I know I'm not the only one. Great, great movie if you haven't seen it. Kind of scary though.

Wow. This game just keeps taking things to the next level. GOTY contender for sure. I don't see how it's averaging below a 90%. And you can add me to the list of people who loved the jet-ski stages. Getting that jet-ski up the rapids was one of the most satisfying things I've done in gaming.

They look like a mini nemesis :lol

Salazar

Kittonwy said:
No offense intended but the series really doesn't need menu-style micro-management ala MGS3, the last thing you need when you have an incredibly well-paced game is to have the player press start, go into some stupid menu and try to pick the right fucking frog to cure some stupid fucking poison, essentially stalling any momentum you've built by fine-tuning the mechanics, set pieces, environments, enemy placement and everything else just to keep the game flowing, only to fucking break everything by fiddling around with stupid shit like med packs/armor/leveling up.
Indifferent2.gif

No offence taken - I wasn't thinking of that deep a system either. The animation of a totally flustered Drake rubbing a frog on a wound or squishing it to poison something just appeals in a small way.

You don't need to guard the sequel's grass yet / quite so vigorously.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapter 16.

It's finally gone from being a great game to being what I REALLY hoped it'd be. The platforming sequences in 15 are so good.

Kittonwy

Banned
One of the things I find more satisfying about the game is how afw the stealth kills are, it's better than most stealth to stealth kill an enemy because sneaking up on an enemy is actually more difficult, no knocking on the wall to go around the other side, no sticking to shadows, no camos, just purely line-of-sight.

Kittonwy

Banned
Salazar said:
No offence taken - I wasn't thinking of that deep a system either. The animation of a totally flustered Drake rubbing a frog on a wound or squishing it to poison something just appeals in a small way.

You don't need to guard the sequel's grass yet / quite so vigorously.

Licking toads maybe.
Indifferent2.gif

jacket320

womfalcs3 said:
Almost done.
I'm on the boat. I sat there for a good ten minutes fighting monsters before I realized I had to run out before that part of the chapter was over. They were going to infinitely come at me until I ran for the door.

I did the exact same thing... I only had two grenades left and no ammo before I finally just ran for it. This is my GOTY and thanks to GAF for helping me pick it up four days early. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
YYZ said:
I don't like Kittonwy's negative references to Metal Gear.

Snake is not pleased.

Snake can go lick some toads rawr
(for medicinal purposes that is)
Indifferent2.gif

Seriously though, Uncharted is literally making other 3rd person shooters unplayable for me, the controls and the pace are simply awesome.
Indifferent2.gif

I don't think it takes the crown for best 3rd person shooter away from Jet Force Gemini, but that was one hell of a game.

Are there different endings on Hard and Crushing?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished it!! Ah, what a satisfying ending! Uncharted = feelgood goddamn game of the year!

I'll play it again on hard, I really have to find more of those treasures. Found only 32 so far. I think it's a bit unfair that I would need to beat the game on crushing to unlock some of the skins like Doughnut Drake or the special weapons like
Eddy's golden gun

I also replayed the jungle part of Chapter 2 and couldn't see any monkeys! Where should I look for them exactly? Trees? Ground? Are they only on Chapter 2 or also on later chapters, like 4 or 5? What about frogs? Where are they?

*edit* oh yeah, in-game clock says 10h 30m for my playthrough. I go pretty slowly through games I enjoy though, looking through every corner (that didn't help much with treasures though) - plus I know for a fact I spent even longer than 10:30, as the game doesn't count re-tries and probably cutscenes either towards that in-game clock.

the_id said:
where would guys like the next uncharted to be?
The sequel should be a globe trotting adventure with a couple levels/chapters per geographic location that are mostly very large open environments that you are completely free to navigate. Use a map system like the diary where you have an old drawn map + a topographic one with collections of landmarks that you use to figure out where you are as you explore the level and make your own way to the objective. Give Nathan items to facilitate such exploration like rock-climbing/spelunking gear, lightly pepper the locations with enemies so that you can have freedom in deciding to engage in combat or not "I can take the mountain pass down to the valley and have to fight through all the various camps and patrols or I can try to find another path down through a cave system or attempt to climb down the rock face" Same thing in the middle of a forest or wherever else, just design these awesome open environments and give me freedom in how to reach my objectives.

Basically take the Crysis approach to level design.

MickeyKnox said:
The sequel should be a globe trotting adventure with a couple levels/chapters per geographic location that are mostly very large open environments that you are completely free to navigate. Use a map system like the diary where you have an old drawn map + a topographic one with collections of landmarks that you use to figure out where you are as you explore the level and make your own way to the objective. Give Nathan items to facilitate such exploration like rock-climbing/spelunking gear, lightly pepper the locations with enemies so that you can have freedom in deciding to engage in combat or not "I can take the mountain pass down to the valley and have to fight through all the various camps and patrols or I can try to find another path down through a cave system or attempt to climb down the rock face" Same thing in the middle of a forest or wherever else, just design these awesome open environments and give me freedom in how to reach my objectives.

Basically take the Crysis approach to level design.

An open world like that would be hell. Talk about flankzilla. I can see your point, but I like this game pretty linear. I think side paths with more difficult platforming to find treasures would be awesome. Kinda like R&C does. That would be kick ass!

I'd like to see the sequel rely less on triggers where the moment you pass a certain point, six pirates immediately jump out of windows and doorways knowing exactly where you are. That's just cheap, and it's by far my biggest complaint.

The enemies should occupy the same environment that you do, and they should be set in their positions as you approach. You should be able to see them if you look hard enough. I'm not saying that they shouldn't set traps, but the triggers just have to go.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
I also replayed the jungle part of Chapter 2 and couldn't see any monkeys! Where should I look for them exactly? Trees? Ground? Are they only on Chapter 2 or also on later chapters, like 4 or 5? What about frogs? Where are they?

At the biginning of chapter two, keep to the right side of the path while going ahead. Dont stay on the ground level. Climb whatever you need to stay to the very right. Monkeys will be waiting for you there.

This is the level I'm talking about. Monkeys are little further around the right corner there.

1065_0023.jpg

Dez

Just finished it. Definitely a great game..The story, animation, and overall production values were just awesome.. but there was so much room for improvement, i can understand the 8.5-9 scores given to it. I would like less canned platforming - I never had to have a real understanding of my environment. Instead, I basically just had to find any platform I could climb on and keep going. I would have also liked the gunfights to have fewer enemies - it just didn't fit the story that there were so many pirates to be killed.. was kind of ridiculous. I'm sure I killed more pirates than Covenant in all 3 halo games combined. And yes, the spawning of enemies was terrible.

cjtiger300 said:
An open world like that would be hell. Talk about flankzilla. I can see your point, but I like this game pretty linear. I think side paths with more difficult platforming to find treasures would be awesome. Kinda like R&C does. That would be kick ass!
It wouldn't be a problem at all because the level is open, meaning you can just keep moving from cover to cover, run away, hide, get all "Charlie's in the bush" on their asses.

That brings up another thing, the AI now needs to be tweaked to handle loosing sight of you and have more than just two modes (on/off) you should be able to sneak around and avoid detection.
Green Shinobi said:
I'd like to see the sequel rely less on triggers where the moment you pass a certain point, six pirates immediately jump out of windows and doorways knowing exactly where you are. That's just cheap, and it's by far my biggest complaint.

The enemies should occupy the same environment that you do, and they should be set in their positions as you approach. You should be able to see them if you look hard enough. I'm not saying that they shouldn't set traps, but the triggers just have to go.
That too.

Top Bottom