• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Gigglepoo

Kittonwy said:
You only get motion blur when you turn the camera quickly. Depth of field? I'm not sure if the game even uses DOF during gameplay.

Whatever the bluring technique is when I move/swing the camera. Can I turn it off? It's making me feel ill.

deepbrown

Gigglepoo said:
Whatever the bluring technique is when I move/swing the camera. Can I turn it off? It's making me feel ill.
Lol what are you doing with the camera? How close are you sitting to your TV...you're going to have to get used to it, because every game in the future SHOULD have some form of motion blur.

*clears throat* Obligatory "This game made Crush sick post"

This game gave me motion sickness as well due to the camera but I loved it so much I kept going.

ugh. Screw this gen, not everybody has easy stomachs :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
You only get motion blur when you turn the camera quickly. Depth of field? I'm not sure if the game even uses DOF during gameplay.
It does - if Drake, or any other characters gets really close to camera, DOF kicks in on them. Same goes for some parts of scenery. I thought it was a really nice touch.

Gigglepoo

deepbrown said:
Lol what are you doing with the camera? How close are you sitting to your TV...you're going to have to get used to it, because every game in the future SHOULD have some form of motion blur.

Well, this is the first game this generation (on all three systems) that has made me nauseous. I doubt every developer is going to go this route.

deepbrown

Gigglepoo said:
Well, this is the first game this generation (on all three systems) that has made me nauseous. I doubt every developer is going to go this route.
Dont know what to say...go see the doctor maybe?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
just finished the game , Amy Henning can make me her sex slave.

I want uncharted 2 , but Naughty Dog not like Insomniac they are smaller and fewer ( 90 employees ) and I don't know what their vision for this gen , but idon't ruin it with yearly sequels-Ubi style .

I can't see Amy Henning doing a Jak game after Uncharted ( Jak 3 was very good tho ) , she need to stay with more mature games like Uncharted , maybe new IP from ND for 2009 then Uncharted 2 in 2010 just forget about Jak and Daxter please ND ( J&D story finished just fine on PS2 )

anyway , the extra stuff on the disc like "making of " and " meet the dogs" video is what a lot of SCE 1st and 2nd party devs should put on the disc ( there is no extra stuff on folklore , very few on HS and Ratchet..ect ) , also having all rewards mean infinite replayability for me , now with cheats like infinite ammo and any gun i want ..i can do sweet stuff in the earlier chapters , it's cool to play with ND shirt too

oh..and I think Uncharted is the first game to beat its target trailer completely , E3 2006 video look like crap compared with the final game , can Killzone 2 be the next game to do that ?

Gigglepoo

deepbrown said:
Dont know what to say...go see the doctor maybe?

"It makes me feel like I'm going to puke when I play this one video game. What should I do?"

"Play another game."

Doctors are so predictable.

Totobeni said:
just finished the game , Amy Henning can make me her sex slave.

I want uncharted 2 , but Naughty Dog not like Insomniac they are smaller and fewer ( 90 employees ) and I don't know what their vision for this gen , but idon't ruin it with yearly sequels-Ubi style .

I can't see Amy Henning doing a Jak game after Uncharted ( Jak 3 was very good tho ) , she need to stay with more mature games like Uncharted , maybe new IP from ND for 2009 then Uncharted 2 in 2010 just forget about Jak and Daxter please ND ( J&D story finished just fine on PS2 )

anyway , the extra stuff on the disc like "making of " and " meet the dogs" video is what a lot of SCE 1st and 2nd party devs should put on the disc ( there is no extra stuff on folklore , very few on HS and Ratchet..ect ) , also having all rewards mean infinite replayability for me , now with cheats like infinite ammo and any gun i want ..i can do sweet stuff in the earlier chapters , it's cool to play with ND shirt too

oh..and I think Uncharted is the first game to beat its target trailer completely , E3 2006 video look like crap compared with the final game , can Killzone 2 be the next game to do that ?
Agree completely. I was very happy with the stuff they gave us to unlock and play around with, you don't need CE's at all. Just reward the player to keep going and have fun!

Did we ever get an explanation for the barrels? Some kind of inside joke? :p

Mesijs

Almost finished the game on Crushing but wow, anybody get hints for the
battle at the end in the church? The first part is easy: sniping everyone. But then they come in with insane amounts of enemies and they absolutely outflank you. It's really hard.

G-Bus

Banned
Mesijs said:
battle at the end in the church? The first part is easy: sniping everyone. But then they come in with insane amounts of enemies and they absolutely outflank you. It's really hard.

If they're rushing/flanking you blind fire some shots, if your close enough to hitting them they'll stop and retreat back to cover, giving you some more time to figure out what your next move will be.

Crushing is crazy hard. I'm still working threw chapter 4, almost on 5. I think my hairs starting to fall out :lol

Mesijs said:

You can just cheese that sequence and run back out of the church into the courtyard and then take pot-shots at them.

-Rogue5-

Green Shinobi said:
James Joyce fan?

No... but I do like using the words "wet" and "moist" in the same sentence... Did JJ do that?

I think the prettiest part in the game is when you're
above the sub/behind the waterfall
early on... The the sun is setting and it comes through the water really well. Plus there's this huge expansive valley, all tree covered... It's radical!

Nice screens forsete.

Pimpwerx

Crushing is a bitch. Got into a firefight just past the demo area and I'm getting smoked. Three shots and I'm dead. Even with cover I've gotta place my shots carefully. They are super-aggressive now. They really waste no time advancing on your position to flush you out. I would move from cover to cover, but it's impossible in this area. The shotties are the bane of my existence. :(

Normal was easy as hell. Hard was fun. Crushing is just bananas. It's the last thing I have left to do. PEACE.

Gigglepoo

What makes this game so replayable? I blew through Ratchet Future 2 and a half times before finally calling it quits because the Weapon Upgrade system is so addicting. Are the "achievements" in Uncharted the main draw? Finding the treasures?

Gigglepoo said:
What makes this game so replayable? I blew through Ratchet Future 2 and a half times before finally calling it quits because the Weapon Upgrade system is so addicting. Are the "achievements" in Uncharted the main draw? Finding the treasures?

Yes, at least to me. Im going through again on hard, getting more treasures. The stuff that is unlocked is worth it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Crushing is a bitch. Got into a firefight just past the demo area and I'm getting smoked. Three shots and I'm dead. Even with cover I've gotta place my shots carefully. They are super-aggressive now. They really waste no time advancing on your position to flush you out. I would move from cover to cover, but it's impossible in this area. The shotties are the bane of my existence. :(

Normal was easy as hell. Hard was fun. Crushing is just bananas. It's the last thing I have left to do. PEACE.

I wuv crushing, it really makes that sense of "everyman in an impossible situation" come through.

Gigglepoo

One more question - how much technology is shared between this and Future? They seem like they are using a drastically different engine.

Pimpwerx

Gigglepoo said:
To beat this bitch on Crushing. I unlocked everything but the difficulties. After that I'll just chapter select my favorite fights and have fun peeling caps. The AI keeps the fights pretty fresh.

Kittonwy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

Controls is buttery smooth in Uncharted, aiming is spot-on, great AI, scenarios are always fun and it's got that "flank or be flanked" gunplay. It's not even the medals or finding treasures per se, THE GAME IS JUST SO MUCH FUN TO PLAY.
Indifferent2.gif

the_id

Gigglepoo said:
One more question - how much technology is shared between this and Future? They seem like they are using a drastically different engine.
I'm not sure. but i think Ratchet runs on an upgraded version of the resistance engine by insomniac while uncharted runs on ND new engine which are also included in EDGE tools. not sure if insomniac used EDGE tools for Ratchet though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gigglepoo said:
Shootouts are simply speaking - really fun, and you get to do more platforming if you want all the treasures. Plus you can try to be more stealthy second time around, or approach situations in a completely different way. I actually think replayability in this game is very natural and comes from it's core quality. I feel like collecting treasures and rewards is my secondary driving goal for replaying it - whereas in many games (R&C included) replayability is in a way artificial and mainly comes from the idea that you need to collect/upgrade everything, even if you don't actually do anything new or even enjoy replaying as far as the gameplay goes.

Gigglepoo

the_id said:
I'm not sure. but i think Ratchet runs on an upgraded version of the resistance engine by insomniac while uncharted runs on ND new engine which are also included in EDGE tools. not sure if insomniac used EDGE tools for Ratchet though.

That's what I was going to guess, but I'm still confused. Insomniac, ND, Santa Monica, etc are working on the ICE engine, right? All of them, together, to make an engine that will maximize the PS3. But it isn't going to ready for awhile, right? So in the meantime, Insomniac, etc are making their own engines for their current projects? Seems like a ton of engine work.

EDIT - Motion blur aside, Uncharted looks significantly better than any next generation game I have played so far. I'm completely blown away. Oh, and I have an SD TV without even S-Video. I can't imagine how it would look with all the bells and whistles. Furthermore... I can't even begin to imagine what the ICE engine will look like. As if I wasn't already bursting at the brim for God of War 3.

JB1981

Gigglepoo said:
I actually don't find it all that replayable, but as a first-time experience, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more satisfying game all year.

Resistance still holds the Replayability Crown on the PS3.

Kittonwy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

Not enough. Naughty Dog contributed alot to the EDGE tools. But from a technical perspective you basically have Naughty Dog nailing every single next-gen effect and Insomniac still haven't been able to put HDR and dynamic/self-shadowing in their games, hopefully Resistance will have those two features because I think they've already gotten the huge environments/particle effects nailed down, but lighting and shadowing-wise they're still behind the curve.
Indifferent2.gif

the_id

Gigglepoo said:
That's what I was going to guess, but I'm still confused. Insomniac, ND, Santa Monica, etc are working on the ICE engine, right? All of them, together, to make an engine that will maximize the PS3. But it isn't going to ready for awhile, right? So in the meantime, Insomniac, etc are making their own engines for their current projects? Seems like a ton of engine work.

I'm just guessing here. but i think each dev develops their own proprietry engine for their games and what ever they have they share it with each other. There is a forum for playstation devs where they can share info and ask questions. I think ND is the main team in charge of ICE or EDGE or whatever that engine is called. it can't be an engine either, could just be a set of tools to help get the most out of the PS3 with less difficulty.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
I actually don't find it all that replayable
I read that your problem was that you were replaying it on Crushing, but didn't like that there was too much shooting. But why did you tried playing it again on crushing then? I mean it was pretty obvious that the shooting would get really intense on that difficulty.

I started playing some levels on hard to see how it goes, and I'm enjoying it better than Resistance actually, the enemies are smarter and more fun to deal with, not in the small part due to your own agility and capabilities.

Gattsu25 said:
the strange relic is not hard to find.
Can you find it even before you collect all 60 other treasures?

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
Shootouts are simply speaking - really fun, and you get to do more platforming if you want all the treasures. Plus you can try to be more stealthy second time around, or approach situations in a completely different way. I actually think replayability in this game is very natural and comes from it's core quality. I feel like collecting treasures and rewards is my secondary driving goal for replaying it - whereas in many games (R&C included) replayability is in a way artificial and mainly comes from the idea that you need to collect/upgrade everything, even if you don't actually do anything new or even enjoy replaying as far as the gameplay goes.

Can you find it even before you collect all 60 other treasures?

Yes I agree the shootouts are just so much fun. The core gameplay is afw.

And yes you can find the strange relic before finding all 60 treasures, which is what I did.

Rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gigglepoo said:

EDIT - Motion blur aside, Uncharted looks significantly better than any next generation game I have played so far. I'm completely blown away. Oh, and I have an SD TV without even S-Video. I can't imagine how it would look with all the bells and whistles. Furthermore... I can't even begin to imagine what the ICE engine will look like. As if I wasn't already bursting at the brim for God of War 3.

ICE is a team within ND at ratchet's credit Insomniac thanks them ..

read more about ICE
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5498863&postcount=47

also Insomniac and ND and Santa Monica never ever share or work on the same engine ..

Gigglepoo said:

I am on my 3rd time through now its just the story and the play mechanics are so well done its all I want to do.

Kittonwy

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I am on my 3rd time through now its just the story and the play mechanics are so well done its all I want to do.

I think it might take someone to play another game to really appreciate how exceptional Uncharted's gameplay mechanics and scenarios really are, I played a bit of Kane and Lynch and found it literally UNPLAYABLE, whether it's cover-based shooting, climbing or just basically moving around, Uncharted is just so damn polished.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

Gigglepoo said:

:lol WELL YOU KEPT THAT QUIET! No wonder you are getting headaches with the motion blur in Uncharted...in SD I doubt it'd work at all! What are you thinking...asking players who are playing it in HD whether it's giving us headaches!?

Gigglepoo

deepbrown said:
What are you thinking...asking players who are playing it in HD whether it's giving us headaches!?

I can't be the only person with a PS3 and an SDTV, can I? I bought my video games systems before getting a new TV. I only have so much money! Priorities!

deepbrown

Gigglepoo said:
I can't be the only person with a PS3 and an SDTV, can I? I bought my video games systems before getting a new TV. I only have so much money! Priorities!
Of course you're not...you might be one of the few who have played Uncharted on an SDTV. And you are the ONLY one to have the audacity to criticise the games motion blur and saying the game is giving you a headache...when it's most likely your SDTV and motion blur combined.

You muppet. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
deepbrown said:
Of course you're not...you might be one of the few who have played Uncharted on an SDTV. And you are the ONLY one to have the audacity to criticise the games motion blur and saying the game is giving you a headache...when it's most likely your SDTV and motion blur combined.

You muppet. :lol
Actually, a CRT still offers superior motion reproduction.

deepbrown

dark10x said:
Actually, a CRT still offers superior motion reproduction.
Yes it does, but motion BLUR on an SDTV is going to be messy and even disorientating.

the_id said:
why are you attacking him? he's got criticisms about the game. not everyone thinks like we barrelz defence for team.
How is it an attack? We Brits use "muppet" quite a lot...it's a friendly, affectionate "insult".

I believe the motion blur does give him a headache. He should have said "motion blur in Uncharted gives me a headache on my sdtv"...unless he expects Naughty Dog to create special effects just for SDTV's?

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Kittonwy said:
And yes you can find the strange relic before finding all 60 treasures, which is what I did.

Rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

So does your treasure list still say 60 of 60 then? Because i got the strange relic. Does it do anything special or what?

justjohn

oooooh shit i'm stuck. i just reached chapter 15 and i'm struggling to jump from the vine to the other end. its seems really far off as well.

Top Bottom