• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

MickeyKnox said:
That brings up another thing, the AI now needs to be tweaked to handle loosing sight of you and have more than just two modes (on/off) you should be able to sneak around and avoid detection.

Like I said two posts above. It would be nice to have another option when you just know that six guys are going to jump out the moment you cross a certain point in the area you're in. I'd like it if you could see them hiding if you looked hard enough, and if you had the option of circling around them to get a better position and thwart their ambush.

Green Shinobi said:
Like I said two posts above. It would be nice to have another option when you just know that six guys are going to jump out the moment you cross a certain point in the area you're in. I'd like it if you could see them hiding if you looked hard enough, and if you had the option of circling around them to get a better position and thwart their ambush.
I stealth edited.

I actually just really want this game to try and emulate gameplay concepts presented Crysis, it would work so fucking well.

MickeyKnox said:
I stealth edited.

I actually just really want this game to try and emulate gameplay concepts presented Crysis, it would work so fucking well.
Ah, Crysis.

I actually have the processor and the RAM to run that, but my video card is painfully out of date. Perhaps next year I'll be able to afford one that'll let me experience it.

What are these concepts that Crysis presents, if you don't mind explaining a bit?

Kittonwy

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
It wouldn't be a problem at all because the level is open, meaning you can just keep moving from cover to cover, run away, hide, get all "Charlie's in the bush" on their asses.

That brings up another thing, the AI now needs to be tweaked to handle loosing sight of you and have more than just two modes (on/off) you should be able to sneak around and avoid detection.

Once the AI spots the player, there's really no turning off, the enemies have to now be aware of the player's presence, I'm not sure there's anything in-between, right now the AI in Uncharted can lose sight of the player but is still aware of the player's presence, and the player can still sneak up on the AI.

I have a problem with overly open levels because those might be very difficult to tune in terms of gameplay balance, especially when it comes to the combat set-pieces like cover and enemy positions, and AI behaviours, right now Uncharted levels work very, very well. I'm not sure if I actually want Uncharted to be open like Crysis, I don't really need that sandbox element in my gunplay, sneaking up on AI is fun in Uncharted because it's tough to do, and gunplay is intense and fun right now, and the player can still get quite creative in terms of outflanking enemies and can actually be outflanked by enemy AI, the core is very strong, that's something I do NOT want to be sacrificed just so people can "mess around".

Kittonwy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

I understand your point but it's like the demo level where you can essentially pop one guy in the head before the confrontation even starts, sometimes having the enemies get the drop on the player keeps that intensity up instead of letting the player actually thin out the crowd way ahead of time, it keeps the player off-balanced and you have to improvise and adapt. Uncharted does a good job of mixing up both enemy spawning and enemies already present in the level patrolling.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dez said:
I would have also liked the gunfights to have fewer enemies - it just didn't fit the story that there were so many pirates to be killed.. was kind of ridiculous.
What you're proposing would make the game easier and less fun - and why? Only to make the number of pirates more believable? That doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me. Besides, Eddie Raja is supposed to be some big shot modern pirate leader, so having a hundred or so people under him wouldn't be that far fetched I think.

I'm sure I killed more pirates than Covenant in all 3 halo games combined.
Nah, no way. I'm pretty sure Halo 1 alone had more Covenent enemies to kill, and if you include the Flood...

TTP said:
At the biginning of chapter two, keep to the right side of the path while going ahead. Dont stay on the ground level. Climb whatever you need to stay to the very right. Monkeys will be waiting for you there.

This is the level I'm talking about. Monkeys are little further around the right corner there.
Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow. What about frogs? Or was that just someone's joke?

Green Shinobi said:
Ah, Crysis.

I actually have the processor and the RAM to run that, but my video card is painfully out of date. Perhaps next year I'll be able to afford one that'll let me experience it.

What are these concepts that Crysis presents, if you don't mind explaining a bit?
Each level is one huge map with every enemy inhabiting it from the start, you have objectives but the level design is fucking fantastic because it's naturalistic, whereas most shooters are essentially designed like a Disney ride where you shoot at the Small World animatronic puppets from inside the cab as it moves down the path; Crysis places you in an open "real world" environment and lets you decide how you're going to navigate to the objective and how you can use the various suit power/weapon combos to deal with enemies.

I don't want to gt too off topic so check the Crysis thread for more.

Dez

Marconelly said:
What you're proposing would make the game easier and less fun - and why? Only to make the number of pirates more believable? That doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me. Besides, Eddie Raja is supposed to be some big shot modern pirate leader, so having a hundred or so people under him wouldn't be that far fetched I think.

Well, not only for the believability, but I honestly thought the shooting sequences were too long and too frequent after a while. Instead of looking forward to those parts, I was just trying to rush through them to see the next environment or cutscene. Still, some of the battles were fantastic - and it was cool to go through a room, and then clear out the bastards who rush you from the entrance to the room :lol

deepbrown

Marconelly said:

Nah, no way. I'm pretty sure Halo 1 alone had more Covenent enemies to kill, and if you include the Flood...

Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow. What about frogs? Or was that just someone's joke?
If you find the frogs I'll send you my copy of Uncharted for free ;)

Dez said:
Well, not only for the believability, but I honestly thought the shooting sequences were too long and too frequent after a while. Instead of looking forward to those parts, I was just trying to rush through them to see the next environment or cutscene. Still, some of the battles were fantastic - and it was cool to go through a room, and then clear out the bastards who rush you from the entrance to the room :lol
But it's a shooter. :/

Tieno

Hey, can someone with the Japanese version of the game tell me if it also has english language track?

The JP version of Uncharted would only cost me 33euros30euros, that's like 40+ euros less than it'd cost me here in stores.

So like i said in the official ac thread,i can't decide between uncharted and AC,can you help me gaf?How many time did it took to beat the game?Was it worth it?etc etc

angelcage87 said:
So like i said in the official ac thread,i can't decide between uncharted and AC,can you help me gaf?How many time did it took to beat the game?Was it worth it?etc etc

1463e44a44e85d3d48550250c1428.jpg

do you see the writing on the wall?

Tieno

Tieno said:
Hey, can someone with the Japanese version of the game tell me if it also has english language track?

The JP version of Uncharted would only cost me 33euros30euros, that's like 40+ euros less than it'd cost me here in stores.
HALP, I'm about to go order this game and it'd suck if it'd have only japanese voices.

I'm a bit paranoid since that Uncharted demo ordeal.

Tieno said:
HALP, I'm about to go order this game and it'd suck if it'd have only japanese voices.

I'm a bit paranoid since that Uncharted demo ordeal.
are you going to order it online?If yes can you give me the name of the site you're going to buying it from?Oh and do you know if the game has english text at least?thanks

Tieno

angelcage87 said:
are you going to order it online?If yes can you give me the name of the site you're going to buying it from?Oh and do you know if the game has english text at least?thanks
yesasia.com (+ coupon)

Won't get released till 6th december + shipping means you won't get the game till 10-17 december. I have to wait but I basically have AC and Uncharted for a bit less than the price of one game here.

I think almost all ps3 games have all languages, but I just want to be reassured.

Tieno said:
yesasia.com (+ coupon)

Won't get released till 6th december + shipping means you won't get the game till 10-17 december. I have to wait but I basically have AC and Uncharted for a bit less than the price of one game here.

I think almost all ps3 games have all languages, but I just want to be reassured.
That's a killer offer man,if anyone can confirm that the jap version of AC and Uncharted have at least english text,i'm going to buy em too from yesasia.

_Angelus_

Banned
Beat the game on Hard mode(again.) 11 hours this time around. Still fun as ever.
This time when I beat it there was no glitch. The game gave me the Hard medal and I also unlocked Crushing Mode.

Gonna save playing on that one for another day though.
Gotta start up Heavenly Sword over again and beat the game this time around.

Tieno

nofi said:
They don't.
Fuck it, I ordered it anyway. I'm sure/hope the JP version will have english language.

angelcage87 said:
That's a killer offer man,if anyone can confirm that the jap version of AC and Uncharted have at least english text,i'm going to buy em too from yesasia.
I got the 360 asian version for AC from playasia and that's region free. Ubi only made one disc with the languages. I'm sure the PS3 version is the same deal.

sinnergy said:
Just got my import copy, played for 20 minutes, seems to be a great game. But what is up with the screentearing?
theres some screen tearing thats what. Been talked about alot. Its very little and seems less and less as you go through the game.

seb

Banned
Is the demo representative in this regard (screen tearing) ?
It didn't bother me in the demo, so if that's all there is, I'll buy it when I get a chance (damn you SCEA).

deepbrown

seb said:
It didn't bother me in the demo, so if that's all there is, I'll buy it when I get a chance (damn you SCEA).
It's better than the demo.

sinnergy

seb said:

Well the first 20 minutes I would say a little more.. can be the same, dunno didn't compare..
I do know it annoys me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Do you get anything special for getting all the treasures, or do you just get reward points?

Also, there is 61st treasure, which is that relic reward page mentions, right? That one must be really hard to find (don't tell where it is, just tell me if it's really hard to find)

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Marconelly said:
Do you get anything special for getting all the treasures, or do you just get reward points?

Also, there is 61st treasure, which is that relic reward page mentions, right? That one must be really hard to find (don't tell where it is, just tell me if it's really hard to find)

You just get reward points and a feeling of accomplishment.

61st treasure??

Gattsu25

Banned
Marconelly said:

the strange relic is not hard to find.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
strated Crushing last night

what can i say...its crushing. But gameplay holds up very well(unlike u CoD4 veteran :/)

im up to 48 treasures,

and why cant i unlock Baseball Drake??? I put the danm code in....

Absolutely gorgeous shots.

To me one of the most impressive levels is that underground
Fortress level with all the swinging fire lamps it looks like a cross between Goonies and Labyrinth so dang gorgeous looking

And I totally agree with Shinobi for once those
creatures totally look like the decent monsters

angelcage87 said:

I enjoyed both. I was more impressed with AC visually, but UDF has more varied gameplay and better story. If possible, get both - they are two of the best games out right now.

Kittonwy

Banned
angelcage87 said:

Uncharted is a much better game, get Uncharted.
Indifferent2.gif

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dot50Cal said:
Yes :p

I'll see if Blim will let me do some videos for the game. Its fairly late after its release though, so he probably has most of it covered. :lol
Well take a look at TTP's videos. Uncharted has not been released in Europe yet so I sure can get more videos of that game.
(PM me though before encoding)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it. Really really excellent ramp up to the end and then a nice little end sequence using the cover system. Starting with the
shotgun
only was an exercise in frustration.

I think my favorite chapters were 3, 5, 12, and 15. And I really enjoyed the music.

Kittonwy

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
strated Crushing last night

what can i say...its crushing. But gameplay holds up very well(unlike u CoD4 veteran :/)

im up to 48 treasures,

and why cant i unlock Baseball Drake??? I put the danm code in....

You probably got the code wrong or somethin' somethin'.

Yes crushing is teh crushing.
Indifferent2.gif

Gigglepoo

I'm an hour or two into the game and the graphics are really getting to me. That combination of motion blur and depth of field whenever I move is making me really nauseous. I never get sick playing games (except for Marathon XBLA) so I'm not sure what I can do. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to turn off those obnoxious graphical features?

Kittonwy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
I'm an hour or two into the game and the graphics are really getting to me. That combination of motion blur and depth of field whenever I move is making me really nauseous. I never get sick playing games (except for Marathon XBLA) so I'm not sure what I can do. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to turn off those obnoxious graphical features?

You only get motion blur when you turn the camera quickly. Depth of field? I'm not sure if the game even uses DOF during gameplay.

Top Bottom