• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dot50Cal

Banned
New shots, this sequence is amazing!

071129-1707470000-1280x720.jpg

071129-1707550765-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708110515-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708160359-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708380562-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708410703-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708430015-1280x720.jpg

071129-1708530031-1280x720.jpg

Mesijs

justjohn said:
oooooh shit i'm stuck. i just reached chapter 15 and i'm struggling to jump from the vine to the other end. its seems really far off as well.

What? :lol Press X, if it doesn't work you should go another direction.

That's how platforming is in Uncharted.

Kosma

Banned
Got some sweet playtime in, made it to chapter 13
Sanctuary?
but had to make myself quit to save some goodness for later. Didn't like
that last jetski bit though

The dark twist is coming soon I can feel it! Too bad I already accidentally read somewhere that there will be zombies :( I'm thinking that either Sully set me up or that "they" turned him into a zombie or something. Can't wait to find out!

deepbrown

Dot50Cal said:
New shots, this sequence is amazing!

WOW! You don't get enough time to marvel in it! I watched a video where they weren't shooting in it...and i advise everyone to just nonstop shooting the machine guns because nearly all the trees will fall over if you shoot them! Can you get a picture with the trees falling down?

Kittonwy

Banned
Mesijs said:
Where is teh final strategy for
teh church at the very end of teh game on Crushing
RAWR!

Strategy? I don't really have a strategy, I can't say I'm particularly graceful in my approach on crushing. That level is all about making your shots count.
As usual I try to take the snipers out of the picture first but that's what I do regardless, I try to deal with the most immediate threat, there's no real squeeze point that I can use anyway, I guess I try to stay as far away as possible to buy myself some time to take them out before they can start to flank me.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

Mesijs said:

Err.... you can also adjust the vine length by climbing up or down to gain some mileage in distance.

Dot50Cal

Banned
deepbrown said:
WOW! You don't get enough time to marvel in it! I watched a video where they weren't shooting in it...and i advise everyone to just nonstop shooting the machine guns because nearly all the trees will fall over if you shoot them! Can you get a picture with the trees falling down?

I'll see if I can cause hell on my next play through :p This game is such a beast to compress on the fly. When it shows those large, detailed white walls, my CPU bogs down while recording :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
only one thing bother me , why they change ellena's camera from Sony to canon ? on the old trailers with ugly ellena it was sony one , the thing is the design is for Sony HDR-FX Camcorder ( the one in da game ) and not Canon one ..did Sony Electronic want money from a their sister company or something

KZObsessed

Just finished Uncharted! Im very disappointed.. but only because it's over! It was one of the best games I've ever played. Although the ending was very good, I didn't quite enjoy that section as much as the rest of the game, but it was still a lot of fun.

I only really have two gameplay issues with the game, 1 was that during a few gun fights, you'd just get a bunch of pirates spawning wave after wave which was kinda annoying but probably the best way to do it in regards to the level design. The second issue were the jet ski levels, big disappointment. They weren't bad, they just weren't amazing which they could have been. A fast jet ski chase scene would have been all kinds of awesome.

The dialogue, writing and voice acting were better than in any other game I've played, the characters were fantastic. They were funny and lovable, I think I smiled and laughed more than during any other game.

Visually, it's also the best looking console game to date. Textures, lighting, shadowing were incredible. If it wasn't for the texture pop up and quite frequent screen tearing it would be perfect. I do think some of the enemy animations seemed a little off at times tho.

Overall tho it was just fun, all the way through. The gun play was excellent, the controls beautifully refined, the mix between gun fights, platforming and puzzles was perfect imo. Maybe in future games they could mix it up a bit, make one more puzzle orientated, make another more platforming orientated, but whatever they do I'm sure it will be awesome.

The replay value is excellent, and I'm going to start a second game straight away and complete it on hard. I got 31 treasures the first time through and I really want them all. Uncharted is my GOTY by far, in fact it's the best game I've played this gen and has probably sneaked onto my top 10 games of all time.

Bravo Naughty Dog, you've made a masterpiece and I can't wait for a sequel.

VonGak!

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Just finished Uncharted! Im very disappointed.. but only because it's over! It was one of the best games I've ever played. Although the ending was very good, I didn't quite enjoy that section as much as the rest of the game, but it was still a lot of fun.

I only really have two gameplay issues with the game, 1 was that during a few gun fights, you'd just get a bunch of pirates spawning wave after wave which was kinda annoying but probably the best way to do it in regards to the level design. The second issue were the jet ski levels, big disappointment. They weren't bad, they just weren't amazing which they could have been. A fast jet ski chase scene would have been all kinds of awesome.

The dialogue, writing and voice acting were better than in any other game I've played, the characters were fantastic. They were funny and lovable, I think I smiled and laughed more than during any other game.

Visually, it's also the best looking console game to date. Textures, lighting, shadowing were incredible. If it wasn't for the texture pop up and quite frequent screen tearing it would be perfect. I do think some of the enemy animations seemed a little off at times tho.

Overall tho it was just fun, all the way through. The gun play was excellent, the controls beautifully refined, the mix between gun fights, platforming and puzzles was perfect imo. Maybe in future games they could mix it up a bit, make one more puzzle orientated, make another more platforming orientated, but whatever they do I'm sure it will be awesome.

The replay value is excellent, and I'm going to start a second game straight away and complete it on hard. I got 31 treasures the first time through and I really want them all. Uncharted is my GOTY by far, in fact it's the best game I've played this gen and has probably sneaked onto my top 10 games of all time.

Thanks for the good read ^.^

Too bad about the jet-ski segments though, I too had hoped for a fast paced chases with jumps, explosions et all.

Gigglepoo

justjohn said:
i love this game, but its reminding me of how much i loathe platformers. ugh

Wait... what!? I thought platformers were the universal genre. Since you loved Uncharted, how did you feel about the platforming sections? I'm totally digging them. Very Sands of Time.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:

They got so many of the fundamental things right, controls, pacing, AI, level designs, characters, story, as soon as I finished Uncharted for the first time I was already looking forward to what Naughty Dog has in store for us with Uncharted 2.
gladtomeetya.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Do you get a different ending for beating it on Hard or Crushing? I just beat it on Normal.

Nope. But beating the game on crushing is just as satisfying if not more, because as a player I felt really awesome to finish the game on a higher difficulty, since the gunfights are just so much more intense.
Indifferent2.gif

_RT_

Just joined the club tonight.
This is simply one of the most engrossing games ever.

The story just won't let me go.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mesijs said:

The vines can be tricky. You have to time your jumps precisely, and to be on the right height on the vine.

linsivvi

Valkyr Junkie said:
You can just cheese that sequence and run back out of the church into the courtyard and then take pot-shots at them.

Yeah that's what I do too. 3rd wave is easy since you passed a checkpoint after the 2nd wave of enemies.

Shotgun is definitely your best friend in Crushing.

Dot50Cal

Banned
deepbrown said:

Heres a video of the playthrough the shots are from, has quite a few tree's going down :)

EDIT: Beaten by Blim! :lol

deepbrown said:
Never stop shooting! Because nearly every tree will fall over :p

Well the gun does overheat, and the bad guys come in nearly non stop, so its kinda hard :p

deepbrown

Dot50Cal said:
Heres a video of the playthrough the shots are from, has quite a few tree's going down :)

EDIT: Beaten by Blim! :lol

Well the gun does overheat, and the bad guys come in nearly non stop, so its kinda hard :p
The machine gun doesnt....just aim for the trees :p

VonGak!

Banned
Thanks Dot50Cal and BlimBlim, you make the "I'm in no way going to caught up for a PS3 before MGS4 is out" sinner's dessert walk of wait a lot more fun. ^.^

Madman

TEH-CJ said:
Edit: ahh screw it nvm

good game 8.5
Small bit of advice: don't play demos more then a couple times(No more then it takes for you to like it. If you like it on the first pass, it's probably best just to play that 1 time). They can drain your appreciation for the game.

Anyways, I was playing Motorstorm yesterday and I really hope ND shares their interactive grass like you find in the demo with the guys at Evolution. That would be much better then the sprites(probably the ugliest graphical feature of Motorstorm), and the tech is already there. I can hope...

Mesijs said:

NO I know what vine he's talking about.. Try adjusting your height on the vine..... I got stuck 2 or 3 times and that always worked

Lord Phol

Damn you all! >.<
You really make me want to get this, but to be able to do that I need a PS3 first. :(
Really hope I can get one before the 60GBs are sold out :d.

Man this game seems awesome.

Insty

quetz67 said:
Wow, most intense
Resident Evil
level
Capcom
never made

This was actually the part of the game that I didn't like. I like a change of pace in my games but this seemed a little far fetched and tacked on. I loved the treasure hunting/platforming pieces (Indiana Jones feel) vs. what you spoke about.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Insty said:
This was actually the part of the game that I didn't like.
That part was a much needed element to the game. You can't have an adventure that aspires to be of Indy quality
without some supernatural aspect to it. I'm glad they didn't overplayed it though.

Firewire

Banned
Another Review!

PCN: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review - 9.5/10

http://www.ps3center.net/article-125-Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune-Review.html

"The best way to describe the gameplay of Uncharted is a good mix of **** ****** platforming and puzzle solving. With Resident Evil 4 over the shoulder aiming, Gears of Wars cover system and a Final Fight combo system. It’s an amalgamation of several games and genre and the end result is just incredible"

PS: Why are so many reviews late to the party?

tanod

when is my burrito
Lord Phol said:
Damn you all! >.<
You really make me want to get this, but to be able to do that I need a PS3 first. :(
Really hope I can get one before the 60GBs are sold out :d.

Man this game seems awesome.

After November, it's not very likely that you will be able to get a 60GB. Get crackin'.

The 80GB still has good PS2 compatibility. Just not perfect.

quetz67

Banned
Marconelly said:
That part was a much needed element to the game. You can't have an adventure that aspires to be of Indy quality
without some supernatural aspect
to it. I'm glad they didn't overplayed it though.
I hoped they would do without, but the way it turned out was awesome! When I read the spoiler about
spanish Zombies
I did expect something different.

Awesome game, just finished it (close to 15 hours on hard): This gets a 9.5 from me

quetz67

Banned
The Chef said:
Here let me help you smart guy

See how easy that is?
*lol*

thats very helpful...anyway, we have so many spoiling pics in this thread, this one fact without further detail really doesnt gives anything away.

The Chef

quetz67 said:
*lol*

thats very helpful...anyway, we have so many spoiling pics in this thread, this one fact without further detail really doesnt gives anything away.

If I hadn't already gotten to that part of the game last night and I read his post I would do everything I could to find and kill him

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
The Chef said:
If I hadn't already gotten to that part of the game last night and I read his post I would do everything I could to find and kill him

Yeah....That crap just aint right.

Pimpwerx

The Chef said:
Here let me help you smart guy

See how easy that is?
People really are pussies. That or just completely naive. As awesome as UDF is, the story is cliched. ALL game stories are. If you didn't forsee it, you're crazy. Hell, we have stories like this from real Egyptian **** ******s. I think it's almost mandatory for treasure hunting games. PEACE.

Top Bottom