• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kosma

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
You are in for awesomeness :)

Good to hear.

I wish there were more games like this. Anybody know what's there in 2008 for us adventurers? Is that Indiana Jones game still coming?

Kittonwy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I'm convinced not everyone played past the demo stage of the game before producing a review. The later reviews are all higher than the early ones. It's much the same for Resistance. I don't think much effort was put in by some reviewers. Then again, my complaint amounts to bitching about a few decimal points, so it really doesn't matter. The game is A+ quality. Every PS3 owner should have it. PEACE.

Yep yep.
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Does Naughty Dog release a game a year, like Insomniac, or should we expect Uncharted 2 to hit some time in 2009?

One game every couple of years. They don't have two teams like Insomniac does.
Indifferent2.gif

Kosma

Banned
Well they already have the engine and many assets done that they could reuse, I hope this shortens development time significantly. Then again, they could use time to make the game even better. Let's just hope it sells well enough first to warrant a sequel. If it doesn't I will have to sucker punch everyone who didn't buy it.

Guled

oo Kosma oo said:
Let's just hope it sells well enough first to warrant a sequel. If it doesn't I will have to sucker punch everyone who didn't buy it.
Yes, Sony needs to do more to market the game. Its not that people don't want to get it, its that people just don't know about it. 2 of my friends (ps3 owners) didn't even know the what the game was (they don't really d/l demos). After I showed them the truck level, they went and bought it right away and loved it. I haven't seen much marketing for the game except the tv add which I see rarely.

YYZ

There are a LOT of Sony game to keep us busy between now and the next ND game so no worries. Not to mention third party titles.

Madman

Guled said:
Yes, Sony needs to do more to market the game. Its not that people don't want to get it, its that people just don't know about it. 2 of my friends (ps3 owners) didn't even know the what the game was (they don't really d/l demos). After I showed them the truck level, they went and bought it right away and loved it. I haven't seen much marketing for the game except the tv add which I see rarely.
TV, internet ads and a demo are all that can be done. I have seen the ad multiple tiems spanning different channels.

Why in the world would people not download free demos?

Guled

Madman said:
TV, internet ads and a demo are all that can be done. I have seen the ad multiple tiems spanning different channels.

I guess they just didn't bother to d/l a demo for a game they never heard of(plus they don't really bother with the psn store). Also, I think Sony needs to do more. I haven't seen the ad that much (might be that I don't watch to much tv), but it feels like the game got swept under the rug from all the hype of other games this holiday season. I might be wrong, but I think that Sony could do better.

Madman

Guled said:
I guess they just didn't bother to d/l a demo for a game they never heard of(plus they don't really bother with the psn store). Also, I think Sony needs to do more. I haven't seen the ad that much (might be that I don't watch to much tv), but it feels like the game got swept under the rug from all the hype of other games this holiday season. I might be wrong, but I think that Sony could do better.
The only thing that Sony could have done send 800 dollar packages to reviewers. They've done everything right for this game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Madman said:

Because there are people out there who would choose to buy a game purely based on hype and high concept coming from some attractive producer, and then try to justify the hype despite poor reviews than play the Uncharted demo and try out the great gameplay first hand and pick up the game because Uncharted is a god damn afw mfing game.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Madman said:
The only thing that Sony could have done send 800 dollar packages to reviewers. They've done everything right for this game.

Pretty much. The game is awesome, the internet ads are out there, the tv ad is out there, the problem is few internet sites even talk about this game or promote it heavily like how gametrailers tried to push a certain game with a pretty producer, maybe as a PS3 owner there just isn't any site out there that really caters to my gaming tastes.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Pretty much. The game is awesome, the internet ads are out there, the tv ad is out there, the problem is few internet sites even talk about this game or promote it heavily like how gametrailers tried to push a certain game with a pretty producer, maybe as a PS3 owner there just isn't any site out there that really caters to my gaming tastes.
Indifferent2.gif
PS3fanboy.com?

deepbrown

http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/01/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review/

Another really good review here, really in depth as well, with artwork i haven't seen before.

9.4/10

It would be predictable for this review to start with, “The Playstation 3 needs some killer A-class games to justify its price tag, and Uncharted is it.”. But I won’t (even though I ironically just did start with that…hmm), because it simply isn’t true. No one game should justify the purchase of a console, but Uncharted is a AAA title and it should tempt you to buy a PS3. Naughty Dog’s first PS3 game is the definition of epic, and will make you say “wow” out loud more often than a pubescent teenager in a strip club.

:lol

YYZ

I'm surprised that Shane from 1Up says the one thing he really dislikes in Uncharted is Nathan Drake himself.

FINALLY got this. I played a couple of hours and so far it's awesome. I was aware of the reviews and stuck my head in this thread a couple of times, but I wasn't really sure what to expect, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

So, I was loving this game until today, when I was getting the strangest problems. First, the game froze on me, I couldn't even get a soft reset going, I had to turn the power off from the back of the PS3, that made me feel dirty.

Then, I am in the catacombs fighting the "Spaniards" and every time i went to shoot my dude would reload. Of course, I didn't want him to reload. Sometimes, my finger slips and barely touches the R2 button and that will force a reload. Yet, this was not that at all. I purposefully made sure that all I was touching was R1 and it was still doing it. I wanted to freaking throw the controller very far. Then it stopped for no apparent reason. I don't know if this was an in game problem or my controller. I don't recall this ever being a problem. Anyone else experience these problems?

For the record, this actually did ruin the experience even if it was not technically the game itself. This generation of games seems glitchier than ever. This game was on its way to being a 9.0 kinda game, and this just pissed me off.

SRG01

I finally finished the game.

Holy crap the monsters are creepy. When they started coming at me, I didn't even bother to aim the MP40 and just ran around in circles holding the fire button.

YYZ said:
I'm surprised that Shane from 1Up says the one thing he really dislikes in Uncharted is Nathan Drake himself.

I used to kind of like Shane but lately he's become a caricature of himself. It's like watching the last 4 seasons of Friends.

I have legitimate complaints about the game, but Nathan Drake is certainly not one of them.

Gigglepoo

Wow, this game keeps getting better and better... until
Jetski.

Other than that, this is one of the most enjoyable, polished and focused game of the year. This has far exceeded my expectations.

Oh, and Nathan Drake is great. Stupid stoops hatin' too much.

SRG01 said:
I finally finished the game.

Holy crap the monsters are creepy. When they started coming at me, I didn't even bother to aim the MP40 and just ran around in circles holding the fire button.

HAHA thats exactly what I did they
scared me too much (especially when they would all of a sudden break into a dead run and cross the whole area in a sec)
for any normal game playing to be rational.

I'm a little past halfway, I think, and loving this game. It turned out very nicely. The graphics are so amazing, but subtly so. I love the facial animations in the cutscenes, they add so much personality. I just earned my last headshot medal, but haven't even earned one melee one yet. Guess I'm not a brawler...it's cool to have that kind of versatility in the combat.

My one major complaint is that the tearing is rampant. It's driving me crazy. How can they make a game this beautiful and not turn on the damned v-sync?

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:
I used to kind of like Shane but lately he's become a caricature of himself. It's like watching the last 4 seasons of Friends.

I have legitimate complaints about the game, but Nathan Drake is certainly not one of them.
They did beat him into that position though didn't they...he's had to say everything he says with a whimsicalness to make sure the others don't shoot him in the gut.

I feel 1up are a circus of caricatures...one of my least liked publications.

YYZ said:

Come on...this is SHANE you are talking about.

Nathan Drake isn't Mario or one of his friends, and Nathan Drake isn't a spiky-haired, androgynous, angst-ridden JRPG teen.

Shane doesn't understand a character like Nathan Drake.

deepbrown

reilo said:
I hate how 4 8.0 scores are bringing Uncharted to below a 9.0 average, when it has over 24 reviews with 8.5 above, and 17 of them are 9.0 or above!
They haven't even updated gamerankings/metacritic with the 9 reviews....or even the 10 reviews. Wherheas they are happy to put up the five 10/10 reviews from the many OXM magazines (UK, US, JAPAN) for Mass Effect.

J-Rzez

deepbrown said:
http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/01/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review/

Another really good review here, really in depth as well, with artwork i haven't seen before.

9.4/10

I agree you should never really buy a system just for ONE game, unless you don't really care about money. But the fact of the matter is, there's games that will gather massive attention to a machine, which then curiousity filters over into other games, which if quality enough will push a purchase. And the PS3 has that software needed.

Now, more of my friend's own 360's than PS3's so there's a larger number of more posibilities of like/dislike there with the 360, but EVERYONE of my friend's that has a PS3 bought Uncharted. It's the first game to ever do that amongst my friend's I believe. We're talking about 29 RL friend's with 360's and 19 with PS3's. Not bad.

deepbrown

J-Rzez said:
I agree you should never really buy a system just for ONE game, unless you don't really care about money. But the fact of the matter is, there's games that will gather massive attention to a machine, which then curiousity filters over into other games, which if quality enough will push a purchase. And the PS3 has that software needed.

Now, more of my friend's own 360's than PS3's so there's a larger number of more posibilities of like/dislike there with the 360, but EVERYONE of my friend's that has a PS3 bought Uncharted. It's the first game to ever do that amongst my friend's I believe. We're talking about 29 RL friend's with 360's and 19 with PS3's. Not bad.
Not bad at all...it's definitely an attractive game.

Raist

Banned
Me_Marcadet said:
that's right, a video review on a big french web site is full of shit. Everything they say about the game is purely wrong. They bitching about a lot of thing but it's just they suck so much that they don't know how to play.

jv.com ? Worst uncharted review I've ever read :lol

Crusade

deepbrown said:
They haven't even updated gamerankings/metacritic with the 9 reviews....or even the 10 reviews. Wherheas they are happy to put up the five 10/10 reviews from the many OXM magazines (UK, US, JAPAN) for Mass Effect.
You realise users have to add the reviews? Stop complaining and add them yourself if you have such a problem with it

Crusade

JB1981 said:
Yeah, Shane is just weird.

Drake is probably the most appealing character the game world has seen in quite some time.
Yeah well his favourite new character is Kai, so that says something about him

deepbrown

Crusade said:
http://www.*****************/htmlpages4/932984.asp

(you know what to replace that with)

Click add a new article link if you want to put up new reviews, then you just have to wait for it to be approved. I don't think it's working right now for whatever reason though
Weird. That's a bit suss then...microsoft uses both G******** and M******* in their press releases....so I'm sure they make sure all the good reviews are up. Not a digg at microsoft, more showing that Sony just isn't good with the web/viral marketting.

Crusade

deepbrown said:
Weird. That's a bit suss then...microsoft uses both G******** and M******* in their press releases....so I'm sure they make sure all the good reviews are up. Not a digg at microsoft, more showing that Sony just isn't good with the web/viral marketting.
Their Uncharted marketing has been rather poor all round

Kittonwy

Banned
J-Rzez said:

It's teh truth. Uncharted is THE game to get for every PS3 owner right now. People can question Heavenly Sword, hell if they're really crazy they can question Ratchet, but Uncharted? It's fucking ACE.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom