• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Mesijs

deepbrown said:
So part of this is your second/third play through as well...since you had the preview version. SO you're quite speedy.

Yeah it is. Actually, I already played the preview version three times from beginning to end, so with the review version it's my fourth time. :lol

So I love to finally have some new levels. And after I'll finish it, I'm certainly going to get some medals to unlock crazy rewards.

Basch

Mesijs said:
I got only 14 this time. In the preview version I got 13 and I've played like 2:30 hours extra since. :lol So I think I missed a lot of treasures, because there's a total of 60.

You can also unlock a lot of cool things with the medals (things like shooting 5 guys with headshot), like playing the game mirrored or improve the game speed by 2.

In reference to the treasures you did find, were there any that were really hard to get to? For instance, were they so out of the way that you had to explore quite extensively or, perhaps, required platforming? I like a little challenge when gunning for extras. Were you even looking for treasures in the first place? :lol

Playing on regular difficulty level, the save file says it took me 8 hours 26 minutes to complete the game, Got about 29 of the 60 hidden treasures from the levels and only a handful of achievements (10 headshots, melee kill 10 guys in a row who are on their last breath etc). You can unlock a lot of stuff by collecting the treasures, but I doubt most will. Most of the treasures are just at the far end of the screen/area you can see, not difficult to get to.

The bonus videos are very much the same as the one's you can download from the PSN, they are all of really, really good quality.

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
Uh why? That puts at it 8hours total presuming the latter levels are the same difficulty and length as the early ones.

Plus why do games tell you how much percentage you've played? I hate that.
Percentage is one of those things I need and love the most in videogames. ^^

Basch said:
Hey, by the way, Anastacio, tell us what that message was that you recieved from Naughty Dog when the review copy came in! Come on, I even bolded your name; you have to reply this time.
Tight/glued lips as I said. =)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Basch said:
Well, the game won't be coming out until November 19th. Most sites are still covering Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, and Super Mario Galaxy. It will probably take another week before we get to see the first few reviews. Has anybody else noticed that the street date for the first issue of the new PlayStation: Official Magazine is November 20th, Uncharted's old release date? I wonder if they want to be the first to publish a review on the game. In that case, I should be getting a copy in the mail sometime this week. :D Unfortunately, three of the five magazines I subscribe to seem to come a week after it arrives at newstands (What's wrong with the Midwest?!?). I have no idea if PSM was one of them. Well, hopefully that won't be the case this time.

Hey, by the way, Anastacio, tell us what that message was that you recieved from Naughty Dog when the review copy came in! Come on, I even bolded your name; you have to reply this time.

bah, I'm going to go finish heavenly sword on hard mode. I'll be back when the demo is out.

FabCam

8 hours for a pro-gamer :)lol ) = around 12 for me. I play levels more than once over even if I havnt finished the game.

Loudninja

RiotPelaaja said:
Playing on regular difficulty level, the save file says it took me 8 hours 26 minutes to complete the game, Got about 29 of the 60 hidden treasures from the levels and only a handful of achievements (10 headshots, melee kill 10 guys in a row who are on their last breath etc). You can unlock a lot of stuff by collecting the treasures, but I doubt most will. Most of the treasures are just at the far end of the screen/area you can see, not difficult to get to.

The bonus videos are very much the same as the one's you can download from the PSN, they are all of really, really good quality.

Cool, thanks man, was the game fun to you?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Mesijs, OK, I'm confused too. Did you complete the game, that is, get the end credits? Or are you still playing?

deepbrown

Anastacio said:

I'll tell you why I don't like it Anastacio. I don't like to know when my game is going to end...I don't want to know when the story is coming to a close. I like to have twists in the game, surprising me about when the game is actually going to end. If the game feels like it's coming to a close, but actually there's a twist then hurrah, the game isn't finished. If I was instead aware that I was only at 80% I would be expecting the twist.

I was disappointed coming from Prince of Persia to GOW to find a percentage usage in that game.

You get me?

Though I can see why it's advantageous for Game reviewers.

deepbrown

joshcryer said:
Mesijs, OK, I'm confused too. Did you complete the game, that is, get the end credits? Or are you still playing?

Read! " And after I finish it" He's completed 57% of the game in 4.4hours! Making the final game come in at 8hours for someone who has played the first four levels 3 times already!

Mesijs

deepbrown said:
Read! " And after I'll finish it" He's completed 57% of the game in 4.4hours! Making the final game coming in at 8hours for someone who has played the first four levels 3 times already!
Exactly. It's not that difficult. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mesijs, what's the difference between Normal and Hard difficulty exactly? Just the number of hits enemies take to go down, or the amount of your health, or the actual aggressiveness of AI?

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
Hey I was right!

How were you right!? You were just a confused mess lol. You thought he'd both completed the game, and also completed only 57% of the game. You absurdist!

Marconelly said:
Mesijs, what's the difference between Normal and Hard difficulty exactly? Just the number of hits enemies take to go down, or the amount of your health, or the actual aggressiveness of AI?

Let alone...what's the difference between Hard and Crushing!?

Oh and is "Crushing" open from the beginning?

SOLDIER

Just one question: Are the graphics good enough to have people unanimously agree that "yeah, Xbox 360 couldn't do this?"

Graphics whore-mongering.

deepbrown

SOLDIER said:
Just one question: Are the graphics good enough to have people unanimously agree that "yeah, Xbox 360 couldn't do this?"

ummm...well Naughty Dog would tell you they couldn't make the same game without Blu-ray or the Cell. So they would've made a different game...maybe with amazing graphics but only 5 hours long? I JEST! :lol (proof that I'm jesting - Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed)

joshcryer

Guys you can beat the Donkey Kong games with 50%. I think even the later games were 30% for completion (final boss + end credits).

The confusing quote in question btw:

"So, I received the review version and have been playing 4:38 hours and I completed it for 57%."

deepbrown

joshcryer said:
Guys you can beat the Donkey Kong games with 50%. I think even the later games were 30% for completion (final boss + end credits).

The confusing quote in question btw:

"So, I received the review version and have been playing 4:38 hours and I completed it for 57%."

Yeah...well...you're just...stooopid. He's foreign, you've got to read between the lines...which you were doing a little too much lol

SOLDIER

deepbrown said:
ummm...well Naughty Dog would tell you they couldn't make the same game without Blu-ray or the Cell. So they would've made a different game...maybe with amazing graphics but only 5 hours long? I JEST! :lol (proof that I'm jesting - Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed)

Well, I was being pretty serious here. In hindsight, the PS3 should be able to do graphics the 360 cannot. It's supposed to be the most powerful system of the three.

I'm just waiting for the game that proves that.

deepbrown

SOLDIER said:
Well, I was being pretty serious here. In hindsight, the PS3 should be able to do graphics the 360 cannot. It's supposed to be the most powerful system of the three.

I'm just waiting for the game that proves that.

It's very hard to talk about this. I doubt it would be conclusive. But as I said...you would not have Uncharted as it is right now without Blu-ray and Cell...they would have done things differently, or made some sacrifices....like no loading throughout the game (HDD), the Animation (Cell) and PERHAPS hand-painted textures (Blu-ray)

joshcryer

deepbrown said:
Yeah...well...you're just...stooopid. He's foreign, you've got to read between the lines...which you were doing a little too much lol

Well sorry. That's why I asked, it was unclear to me. :p

So ignore my comments about the time/scoring. ;)

Kosma

Banned
Has anyone heard anything about Uncharted potentially shipping early? I'm all hyped out and on media blackout , I don't even follow this thread anymore.

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
I'll tell you why I don't like it Anastacio. I don't like to know when my game is going to end...I don't want to know when the story is coming to a close. I like to have twists in the game, surprising me about when the game is actually going to end. If the game feels like it's coming to a close, but actually there's a twist then hurrah, the game isn't finished. If I was instead aware that I was only at 80% I would be expecting the twist.

I was disappointed coming from Prince of Persia to GOW to find a percentage usage in that game.

You get me?

Though I can see why it's advantageous for Game reviewers.
I got you from the very start and didn't even need an explanation. I just told you my take on it is different, not because I'm a reviewer but because it's a must personally. I dislike when I don't know how far I am, and I don't like "long" games that much.

About the difficulty, I thought the beta were pretty easy as well both on normal and hard. It's not even that harder on hard difficulty. I never got killed by an enemy, only when I mis-jumped due to the camera and a problem in the game.

Basch

Anastacio said:

Why?!? Are you telling me that this message would, without a doubt, tie up every loose thread in the game's story? That this message reveals the mad conspiracy of the military and corporate soldiers manipulating the golden monkeys to cause Nathan Drake to shoot every pot and box thinking of what kind of treasure awaits inside but low and behold there is a lama in the barrel and that this was all part of the plan which is named "Operation Exterminating Lama" so they can rid the biggest threat to their monkey king, Sasquach, but, remember, no one but the military could come up with such a vague name as Operation Exterminating Lama, which they gave to the monkies so that they could get Sasquach to appear only to anger Drake as he thinks that he has finally unfoild "their plan" but really just progresses it further by killing Sasquach which was the single biggest threat to the bald space marines that now emerge from the vacuum of space to reinforce the private corporations which were secretly funded by Microsoft so that they could finally get rid of those pirates (ARGHH!) who were just trying to protect Drake as he is the chosen one that oracle Sully has forseen that will rescue the Lost Treasure of Eldorado, which was in fact the secret plans of a new next-gen system that would bring balance to the format war, but hidden amongst the shadows, lying under the radar, was Super Agent Elena who had in fact filmed the whole adventure for Sony so that they could re-enact the exhilarting expedition for their unpopular PlayStation 3 to push them over the edge and achieve the top spot in the console war once again? As for what happened to Drake, Elena called him up and asked if he would like to help her film a documentary titled Uncharted 2. :D Oh wait, now that I think about it, don't tell me! I think I just spoiled the whole game. :lol

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
I got you from the very start and didn't even need an explanation. I just told you my take on it is different, not because I'm a reviewer but because it's a must personally. I dislike when I don't know how far I am, and I don't like "long" games that much.

Hm ok. :) I guess you're on a tight schedule...but can afford to buy four copies of the same game lol

VonGak!

Banned
SOLDIER said:

Well there would have been a need to make trade-offs just looking at the size o the game and mandatory HDD for caching.

But let's look away from the console vs. thing and celebrate Uncharted for what it is; the game which has pioneered furthest into the next gen promises made two plus years ago.

There's just no other console game coming close to Uncharted in covering what next gen is about, even though there's many games which have had bigger staffs, bigger budgets and longer development pipelines (those games usually only hype one next-gen feature which Uncharted in most cases do even better).

It's a testament to the greatness of Naughty Dog, let's hope that Ready at Dawn is built on the same development philosophy.

NB: I can't be bothered with silly Nintendo comments ^.^

deepbrown

What would you say/do...if I said that my relatives have mistaken screenshots of Drake for...none other than...myself.

Mistaken, Drake, Me

Uncharted: DEEP's Fortune.

Pachimari

Basch said:
Why?!? Are you telling me that this message would, without a doubt, tie up every loose thread in the game's story? That this message reveals the mad conspiracy of the military and corporate soldiers manipulating the golden monkeys to cause Nathan Drake to shoot every pot and box thinking of what kind of treasure awaits inside but low and behold there is a lama in the barrel and that this was all part of the plan which is named "Operation Exterminating Lama" so they can rid the biggest threat to their monkey king, Sasquach, but, remember, no one but the military could come up with such a vague name as Operation Exterminating Lama, which they gave to the monkies so that they could get Sasquach to appear only to anger Drake as he thinks that he has finally unfoild "their plan" but really just progresses it further by killing Sasquach which was the single biggest threat to the bald space marines that now emerge from the vacuum of space to reinforce the private corporations which were secretly funded by Microsoft so that they could finally get rid of those pirates (ARGHH!) who were just trying to protect Drake as he is the chosen one that oracle Sully has forseen that will rescue the Lost Treasure of Eldorado, which was in fact the secret plans of a new next-gen system that would bring balance to the format war, but hidden amongst the shadows, lying under the radar, was Super Agent Elena who had in fact filmed the whole adventure for Sony so that they could re-enact the exhilarting expedition for their unpopular PlayStation 3 to push them over the edge and achieve the top spot in the console war once again? As for what happened to Drake, Elena called him up and asked if he would like to help her film a documentary titled Uncharted 2. :D Oh wait, now that I think about it, don't tell me! I think I just spoiled the whole game. :lol
Impressive respond. Gotta read it when I wake up hihi =)

deepbrown said:
Hm ok. :) I guess you're on a tight schedule...but can afford to buy four copies of the same game lol
I have a really really tight schedule honestly but that's not why I like "short" and percentage in games. Most videogames just tend to get "boring" if you can follow me.

VonGak!

Banned
Anastacio said:
And the save spots are awesomely placed in Uncharted as well. It cought me by surprise actually, that I started just were I wanted to start after I died.
Neat, that's the kind of polish I hope for. ^.^

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
Impressive respond. Gotta read it when I wake up hihi =)

I have a really really tight schedule honestly but that's not why I like "short" and percentage in games. Most videogames just tend to get "boring" if you can follow me.

I like games that have a twist, like POP: WW...didn't see it coming, and it would have spoiled it if I actually knew it wasn't going to end :) Don't have to be long to surprise the player into thinking the game is going to end, before it's actually over.

Pachimari

deepbrown said:
I like games that have a twist, like POP: WW...didn't see it coming, and it would have spoiled it if I actually knew it wasn't going to end :) Don't have to be long to surprise the player into thinking the game is going to end, before it's actually over.
Twists are the best thing ever, but I do think they can come with a percentage anyway. Let's just agree to disagree. But I do get what you mean. =)

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
Twists are the best thing ever, but I do think they can come with a percentage anyway. Let's just agree to disagree. But I do get what you mean. =)

You're clearly wrong, so in punishment I will continue to call you Pistachio.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
jetjevons said:
Quick update Uncharted fans. Remember my friend who was reviewing the game and said his initial impressions were mildy negative. Well he now says the game is ambitious, compelling, stunningly beautiful and very, very fun.

Carry on as you were.
Nice to hear.

Top Bottom