• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

New artwork from Richard Diamant :p http://www.ripten.com/2007/11/30/uncharted-artists-character-models/

normal_drake-copy.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Then, I am in the catacombs fighting the "Spaniards" and every time i went to shoot my dude would reload. Of course, I didn't want him to reload. Sometimes, my finger slips and barely touches the R2 button and that will force a reload. Yet, this was not that at all. I purposefully made sure that all I was touching was R1 and it was still doing it. I wanted to freaking throw the controller very far. Then it stopped for no apparent reason. I don't know if this was an in game problem or my controller. I don't recall this ever being a problem. Anyone else experience these problems?
Try cycling the power on your controller. I'm uncertain if it works like previous generation controllers (analog calibration at startup), but it's worth a check. If, for some reason, the R2 button was slightly depressed while the machine was starting up, it may have screwed up its calibration.

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Good to hear.

I wish there were more games like this. Anybody know what's there in 2008 for us adventurers? Is that Indiana Jones game still coming?

The next big adventure game is Infamous methinks. :3

womfalcs3

Banned
Just finished.

9 hours and 14 minutes
~50% of treasures found
~33% of medal points attained

I'll go back at it on hard sometime in the future and get more medal points/treasures.

Kittonwy

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Just finished.

9 hours and 14 minutes
~50% of treasures found
~33% of medal points attained

I'll go back at it on hard sometime in the future and get more medal points/treasures.

Didja have a good time with teh game?
Indifferent2.gif

Madman

Kittonwy said:
The next big adventure game is Infamous methinks. :3
That may be my most aniticpated title for next year. I never played the Sly games, but I have heard nothing but good about them. Infamous looks excellent and if the setting/plot is like I heard, it is going to be awesome. Or AFW, however you want to put it.

Doc Evils

deepbrown said:
They haven't even updated gamerankings/metacritic with the 9 reviews....or even the 10 reviews. Wherheas they are happy to put up the five 10/10 reviews from the many OXM magazines (UK, US, JAPAN) for Mass Effect.

not to mention the odd xbox site that gets added too.

deepbrown said:
Weird. That's a bit suss then...microsoft uses both G******** and M******* in their press releases....so I'm sure they make sure all the good reviews are up. Not a digg at microsoft, more showing that Sony just isn't good with the web/viral marketting.

You sound like the crazies who believe in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster with your conspiracy theories.

Relax.

Basch

Madman said:
That may be my most aniticpated title for next year. I never played the Sly games, but I have heard nothing but good about them. Infamous looks excellent and if the setting/plot is like I heard, it is going to be awesome. Or AFW, however you want to put it.

Infamous, is one of my most anticipated games of 2008, as well. Too bad, the media is not covering it, but that could be a good thing. Have you seen the teaser trailer for it? You know what? We should have a separate thread for this. But the atmosphere in that game is something to behold. Looks like it will be quite story driven as well. In a way, it reminds me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, if you know what I mean. :D Between Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch, I think the PS3 developers have us covered. I cannot help but smile as each delivers one awesome game after another.

Basch

dammitmattt said:
You sound like the crazies who believe in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster with your conspiracy theories.

Relax.

Will you ever stop? It is quite easy to see that the 'The Sites that should not be named' are all connected. Look at their listings/archive of reviews. They are the same across the board. Even their policies are identical. But either way, those sites have never had any credibility with me. I do not think they are following their own regulations. They try to pick quality reviews to be added, but that is obviously not the case anymore. Plus, they don't even include world wide publications, let along some certain official magazines. So, in a way, I am happy the sites are being boycott in the first place. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dammitmattt said:

Relax.
Conspiracy? He's 100% correct in that Sony are pretty bad at web/viral marketing and generally building hype over their games with the hardcore userbase. Microsoft is (and always was) doing much better job there.

I could probably list for hours things that Sony should be doing, that they are not.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the_id said:
Naughty dog's engine is crazy! I reckon these models are as detailed as the models used to render FMV in the last gen.

the facial animations look so real and these aren't even mo-caps!
Those are CG renders though, not in-engine renders.

Basch

Marconelly said:
Conspiracy? He's 100% correct in that Sony are pretty bad at web/viral marketing and generally building hype over their games with the hardcore userbase. Microsoft is (and always was) doing much better job there.

I could probably list for hours things that Sony should be doing, that they are not.

I would say that is an accurate statement. I still remember Microsoft's E3s press conference. They were too busy trying to sell all their games to all people: telling them why everybody should have 'this' game. Because of it, it is hard for them to build a hardcore userbase. They should be focusing on selling the game to types of people. That way we get more new IPs. :D

Basch

the_id said:
Naughty dog's engine is crazy! I reckon these models are as detailed as the models used to render FMV in the last gen.

the facial animations look so real and these aren't even mo-caps!

Hell yeah. The graphics look better than mostly every single CG scene of the last generation. Matter of fact, I was watching my brother play Final Fantasy X last night, and I think Naughty Dog is indeed correct when they stated we have finally reached that level where we can play through and have a seamless movie experience.

the_id

Metalmurphy said:
I asked the same thing on Beyond3D and one designer from Naughty Dog actually replied there. The ingame model has less polygons and uses normal maps to "replace" some polygons. They used that model as a target. Lemme see if I can find the thread.
well, either way, the cut scenes are running on in-game engine and the detail can be seen there. i say they came really close to their target renders.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the_id said:
well, either way, the cut scenes are running on in-game engine and the detail can be seen there. i say they came really close to their target renders.
Absolutely, very close, but you can see that the quality of lighting on those renders is still better than anything in the game. Keep in mind, that's one very high quality render, done using latest offline render tech, and maybe even hand-painted over for extra detail.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just started playing....wow @ graphics! Sony needs to advertise this heavily, people ought to lap up this quality of expression.

Jigsaw

Banned
so,just wondering,any chance that eddy
could have survived the zombie bite in the neck and return in part 2?i kinda liked him in the end :(

Kittonwy

Banned
Jigsaw said:
so,just wondering,any chance that eddy
could have survived the zombie bite in the neck and return in part 2?i kinda liked him in the end :(

Drake trying to save Eddy
really shows Drake's humanity as a character even though
Raja tried to kill him so many times
, that's part of what makes Drake so damn likeable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So many :eek: moments, even in the first few chapters. edit - :eek: :eek: @
the u-boat bit

Did anyone ever post any more from the Edge review? Got my copy today..they were fairly effusive in their praise for it.

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:

Relax.
How is that conspiracy theory matt? I think it's pretty clear that Microsoft knows how to work the web - it's all legit with getting these scores onto g**********....and the evidence for this is them quoting g********** in their press release. I doubt Sony's ever even heard of these types of sites. I mean they've only just had a playstation blog, and before that had the lame Threespeech...no conspiracies here. Sony just don't know what they're doing with the web.

deepbrown

Metalmurphy said:
I asked the same thing on Beyond3D and one designer from Naughty Dog actually replied there. The ingame model has less polygons and uses normal maps to "replace" some polygons. They used that model as a target. Lemme see if I can find the thread.

*edit*
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=41054
Hi MM...you're actually wrong in this case. That original render by Richard was the target render...but the one i posted...and all the colour ones are the IN_GAME models with different lighting. You can tell by the polygon edges of the shirt. Compare it to the colour model of Novarro...this is all explained on Rich's website and in the introduction to ripten's story.

Basch

deepbrown said:
How is that conspiracy theory matt? I think it's pretty clear that Microsoft knows how to work the web - it's all legit with getting these scores onto g**********....and the evidence for this is them quoting g********** in their press release. I doubt Sony's ever even heard of these types of sites. I mean they've only just had a playstation blog, and before that had the lame Threespeech...no conspiracies here. Sony just don't know what they're doing with the web.

Exactly! And that is why I listen to developers instead. :D Microsoft needs to change their business practices.

deepbrown

Basch said:
Exactly! And that is why I listen to developers instead. :D Microsoft needs to change their business practices.
No you're wrong. SONY needs to change their web practices. I'm not talking about moneyhats at all here....I'm talking about Microsoft employees making sure the best reviews for their games get onto review rankings sites.

Basch

deepbrown said:
Hi MM...you're actually wrong in this case. That original render by Richard was the target render...but the one i posted...and all the colour ones are the IN_GAME models with different lighting. You can tell by the polygon edges of the shirt. Compare it to the colour model of Novarro...this is all explained on Rich's website and in the introduction to ripten's story.

No wonder I didn't notice a difference. :D

Basch

deepbrown said:
No you're wrong. SONY needs to change their web practices. I'm not talking about moneyhats at all here....I'm talking about Microsoft employees making sure the best reviews for their games get onto review rankings sites.

But I don't like 'The Sites that should not be named.' :D At least until they fix their policies. If Sony could buy out IGN and have them host their own ranking archive system, I might like that one better. I understand in reference to sales, but my opinion still stands.

Kosma

Banned
Should I finish Uncharted now and then go to my GF, or go to my GF now and finish Uncharted tonight or tomorrow??

Infamous looks more like Crackdown then Uncharted to me guys. I'm still hoping there will be something Uncharted'ish next year.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
Yeah, Shane is just weird.

Drake is probably the most appealing character the game world has seen in quite some time.

No doubt. Nate, Frank West, and Ratchet are my fav toons this gen to date. Nate edging them all out though.

Basch

oo Kosma oo said:
Should I finish Uncharted now and then go to my GF, or go to my GF now and finish Uncharted tonight or tomorrow??

Infamous looks more like Crackdown then Uncharted to me guys. I'm still hoping there will be something Uncharted'ish next year.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. By genre type, they have similarities, but Infamous seems more like an open action/adventure game with a darker story. Sounds like you can make choices similar to that of Mass Effect.

J-Rzez said:
No doubt. Nate, Frank West, and Ratchet are my fav toons this gen to date. Nate edging them all out though.

Yeah, both of them. :lol What happens if Sucker Punch decides to name their main character Nathan as well? :D

Kosma

Banned
Wait wait, Shane doesn't like Frank West either?

Basch said:
Eh, I wouldn't say that. By genre type, they have similarities, but Infamous seems more like an open action/adventure game with a darker story. Sounds like you can make choices similar to that of Mass Effect.

Everything I know is based on the short trailer, so you could be right. If you can make choices like in ME that would be ace.

Basch

oo Kosma oo said:
Everything I know is based on the short trailer, so you could be right. If you can make choices like in ME that would be ace.

The premise of the game is that, as the main character, you have already unleashed a terrible tragedy upon the world. What you do next, is up to you. You can either save the world, or destroy what's left.

Core407

Banned
Basch said:
The premise of the game is that, as the main character, you have already unleashed a terrible tragedy upon the world. What you do next, is up to you. You can either save the world, or destroy what's left.

Are you sure? That sounds a lot like that game from the guys who made The Hulk.

Basch

Core407 said:
Are you sure? That sounds a lot like that game from the guys who made The Hulk.

??? What? Yeah, I'm sure. Watch the trailer. Its good stuff. :D

By the way, we're starting to get off topic. Maybe this should have its own thread. The excuse can be possible 2008 Spring release.

Kosma

Banned
Basch said:

Such a premise could also be used for an open ended sandbox game like Crackdown (which I loved) too. Well either way it looks very promising.

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

Uncharted first, everything else second rawr.
angry.gif

I think Infamous will have a much more dramatic and involving story with more memorable characters than Crackdown ever did, Suckerpunch just isn't the type of developer that makes these "oh here you go mess around with the game mechanics we ain't gonna put that much content in" kind of games. I think that's where I'm drawing the comparison with Naughty Dog, not that Uncharted isn't a more linear title or that Infamous isn't a more sandboxy game per se. ~_~

Kosma

Banned
I'm putting my GF first Kittonwy!
Because finishing the game in the middle of the night, maybe after a few beers in the pub with my mates will be even better

It won't be very hard to have more memorable story then Crackdown , the Infamous trailer already has that.

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Such a premise could also be used for an open ended sandbox game like Crackdown (which I loved) too. Well either way it looks very promising.

I just hope they don't call their main character Nathan too.
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

oo Kosma oo said:

I guess, but I like the way their steering the game. As long as it is story driven, I'm okay with it. The last thing I would want is to play a game where I feel the objective/missions don't have any lasting impact. Not saying Crackdown doesn't (I am very interested in the game in fact). The real question we should all be asking is when will they reveal more? :D

I bought a HDMI cable yesterday for the hell of it and was testing out some games and was surprised to see how much an improvement there is with Uncharted. I may be just fooling myself here but it really does seem like there's a noticable difference, particularly in the already beautiful Customs house area. Everything just seems to pop.

Basch

You know what? I think I discovered something new about Infamous. If you notice in the far right of the picture below, there is a billboard that is lit up by three lights...

screen_infamous_01.jpg

The billboard reads TEAM TORQUEMADA. I put this in various search engines but ended up with Wikipedia for the one that offered the most information (go figure :D ). One of the articles is of a comic featuring Torquemada as the main villain, and the other is about the fifteenth century Spanish Dominican. I wonder if this relates to the story somehow. What are your guys' thoughts?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
gofreak said:
So many :eek: moments, even in the first few chapters. edit - :eek: :eek: @
the u-boat bit

Did anyone ever post any more from the Edge review? Got my copy today..they were fairly effusive in their praise for it.

Damn you, now I have to look up the word effusive.

Top Bottom