• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

kbear

DevelopmentArrested said:
So, no biased answers but is this game + Ratchet worth buying a PS3 for this Christmas?
Nice avatar. Dexter is the best show on TV

To answer your question... hell yes! Uncharted is seriously one of the best games I've played in years. Everything about it is fine-tuned to perfection. The visuals are simply put the best I've ever seen on a home console save for maybe Killzone 2. I can't tell you how many times I took in the scenery. Gameplay delivers in spades--especially the enemy AI. I played through it on Hard my first time through and they were awesome. ND put a lot of effort into the AI... they flush you out with grenades so you have to keep moving from cover to cover. You can't sit in one place and keep picking them off unless you're really really far away. They also flank you, rush you, change their cover positions, and also aren't predictable. The AI is seriously one of my favorite things about the game and it just blows me away that Gametrailers mentioned it as a negative in their review. It makes me wonder if they played it on Easy or something.

Length-wise, it took me over 10 hours to beat it on Hard. I collected 47 of the 60 treasures so I explored and didn't rush through the game. Probably well over 11 hours as it doesn't count when you die in the time total. The 'Chapters' are varied... the gameplay is definitely varied and not repetitive. The AI helps a lot with this as each battle can be different. Another thing that adds to the longevity are the unlockables and rewards. Ratchet also has a shit load of these. I don't have Future but I know from experience with R&C's of the past. Both are single-player only games but give you plenty of incentive to play multiple times. I'm keeping Uncharted... never gonna resell, it's just such an amazing game. Can't wait to get a 7.1 sound system and a Brav to experience it on a whole 'nother level. The music and sound effects are amazing, btw. GOTY! If you don't need BC for PS2, then getting a $400 40gb + Uncharted + Ratchet is an absolute no-brainer. There's probably several deals out there where you can get one of those games for free.

the ai is retarded -- it does nothing we didn't see in the original nolf how many years ago? actually, nolf had more cute contextual script triggers, like knocking tables over to hide behind and all the hilarious panic animations

kbear

Drinky Crow said:
the ai is retarded -- it does nothing we didn't see in the original nolf how many years ago? actually, nolf had more cute contextual script triggers, like knocking tables over to hide behind and all the hilarious panic animations
Were you playing on Hard? If so, then you're just straight up lying... the AI is fantastic.

Rody said:

why not? it's half-assed generic shooter wed to half-assed **** raider clone with the plot of clive cussler's "sahara". it doesn't really manage to do anything very well, although it broaches competence in a few setpiece battles. i had my fill of dithry shader work, light maps, and bitmapped explosions back when ms was trying to sell the world on dx9, so its not really a keeper from a visual front, either. ultimately, its a pastiche of pieces of much better games tied together with some of the worst character and facial modeling seen since reboot went off the air. 5/10. enjoy!

the_id

Drinky Crow said:
you've opened a can of shit worms. the Uncharted Barrelz defence force will be uniting to go against you.

don't mind me. i'll just sit and watch like i always do.

EDIT: trying to hide the trolling using big words i see?

kbear said:
Were you playing on Hard? If so, then you're just straight up lying... the AI is fantastic.

no, it's not, and you know shit about ai programming -- or what to look for -- so don't insult me by suggesting otherwise.

besides -- here's a scenario calibrated to your self-delusion with its obviousness -- if the ai is so good, why is the difficulty inflated by requiring multiple shots to kill a duder?

kbear

Drinky Crow said:
why not? it's half-assed generic shooter wed to half-assed **** raider clone with the plot of clive cussler's "sahara". it doesn't really manage to do anything very well, although it broaches competence in a few setpiece battles. i had my fill of dithry shader work, light maps, and bitmapped explosions back when ms was trying to sell the world on dx9, so its not really a keeper from a visual front, either. ultimately, its a pastiche of pieces of much better games tied together with some of the worst character and facial modeling seen since reboot went off the air. 5/10. enjoy!
That's just ridiculous, man..

no, it's not, and you know shit about ai programming -- or what to look for -- so don't insult me by suggesting otherwise.

besides -- here's a scenario calibrated to your self-delusion with its obviousness -- if the ai is so good, why is the difficulty inflated by requiring multiple shots to kill a duder?
I haven't played on Easy/Normal but I've heard that it still takes the same number of bullets to bring them down (around 3 or 4)

Drinky Crow said:

That was a pathetic effort, clown.

the_id said:
you've opened a can of shit worms. the Uncharted Barrelz defence force will be uniting to go against you.

what big words? i'll even leave the one incorrectly spelled word in there for you to spot, if you can.

Core407

Banned
the_id said:

I don't think the AI is "shit" but it's no where near the level people describe it to be. It's all scripted for the most part and you can see it in their reactions. They don't really move away from grenades and they don't use the melee enough when you try and close the ground between you two.

fanboys concoct all sorts of crazy scenarios in their head based on anecdotal or wholly misinterpreted observations. that's what makes them fanboys: cognitive dissonance on parade.

the_id

Drinky Crow said:
what big words? i'll even leave the one incorrectly spelled word in there for you to spot, if you can.
its either modelling or dirthy...but oh well...english isn't my first language anyway...

Its obivious that you don't prefer this kind of game. you're probably an outlier in the statistics...somewhere in the lower 2.5% of the spectrum. i disagree with your argument about the AI and the graphics. give an example of a game....or even a screenshot of a console game that comes close to the graphics of uncharted and a youtube video showing off a game, similar to uncharted with better AI.

anyway, i'll just sit back, enjoy and see what the barrellz defence force does.

Speevy

Banned
I don't find Uncharted to be the greatest adventure ever, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun.

And one think it absolutely does do is look fantastic. And I say this having seen or played its competition myself.

YYZ

Is Drinky Crow serious? You can harshly criticize every big game that has come out in the past few months, maybe except for SMG.

Speevy

Banned
Also, did he just criticize Uncharted for using light maps? I'm pretty sure the game has unified lighting, or at least some kind of it.

Also, uh, pretty much every game on the market, and I'd say probably 100% of the games on one system have light maps.

YYZ said:
Is Drinky Crow serious? You can harshly criticize every big game that has come out in the past few months, maybe except for SMG.

He's just doing his "thing", only this is certainly one of his weaker efforts. Kind of sad, really.

Drinky Crow said:

Oh brother...

:lol

Seriously, Drinky. Did you lose your sense of direction? The Wii Fit threads for you to troll are way over there >>>>>>>

It's OK though. We know you crave the spotlight.

There. We gave it to you.

Now let us have our fun laughing at your opinion/lame cry for attention.

You get what you need. We get what we need. It works for everybody.

f@luS

More than a member.
2nd playthrough
this game is soooooooooooo beautiful still cant believe it. Chapter 5 landscape is blowing me every time. Textures are so insane, polycount seems infinite, damn this is so gorgeous (and obviously best looking console game ever, for now )

Crushed

Fry Daddy
dark_preacher said:
he was never banned to begin with.
No, once he was banned for posting a thread about a boxart of Stranglehold Photoshopped to have Chris Benoit holding a pillow.

And I also wanted to say that the ReBoot bashing was the worst part of his rant just now.

Drinky Crow said:

Dude, you are a troll. Just look at this guys post history. I think he needs a timeout.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
cjtiger300 said:
Dude, you are a troll. Just look at this guys post history. I think he needs a timeout.
Oh shit are you serious.

You better go tell the mods or something. He must be one of those juniors that got in.

Drinky Clown said:
UserName Fixed.

Pimpwerx

ND made enemies do certain things to make the game more playable. Crushing would be impossible if they didn't fall for nades. Their numbers are too great with that level of coordination. Vitals are definitely smaller targets... or at least seems so to my eye. Hence it takes like 4-5 shots center-mass to put a guy down, but only one headshot. It's hard to line up clean shots on Crushing during hectic fights. I prefer to empty a clip into a target to put them down now, and I'm forced to use blind-fire.

Speevy

Banned
Drinky Crow is a former mod/admin/editor/contributor that for some combination of reasons just posts whatever he wants, and no one cares.

He's never going to get banned from this forum because he doesn't really post at this forum, and his account is used for targeted flamebaiting (.e. calling Super Mario Galaxy "mediocre", making generalizations about all Nintendo fans, etc.) which I'm sure is quite the laugh riot in mod country.

But in the end, he won't linger if you ignore him. Because too much Drinky, even to people who like his posts (I can't imagine who) is simply annoying. And a comedian doesn't seek to annoy the crowd.

Lightning

Banned
OK, I completed Uncharted last night and here are my thoughts.

Positives:

Presentation - This game is presented perfectly and beautifully.

Graphics - IMO, the best looking console game that I have played. It has such a lush feel that really captures you within the game. I prefer the jungle, water, outside areas compared to the interior stuff but some of the best work here. Naughty Dog really mastered the art of graphics for the PS3.

Gameplay - The gun fighting might be plentiful but the mix of weapons and the rewards for using them makes it all worth while, imo. I wasn't overly impressed with the melee combat but the actual gun play was top notch. The platforming was exceptional throughout most of the game and added a nice mix to the gun battles. Could have done with some more complex puzzles that didn't hold your hand though.

Difficulty - This game nailed it. It has a easy mode that is not to easy but allows you to comfortably complete the game and it has a hard and crushed mode that are just insanely hard and challenging. I fell it is a requirement that games have difficulty suited for all levels and this game certainly is.

Story - It complements the game well and it totally worked. It was a little predictable but many stories are, it was still interesting and suspenseful just the same. The characters also fitted in perfectly with their own personal agendas thrown in the mix and the zombie type monsters added helped flesh it out some more.

Negatives:

Exploration - I didn't like the fact that there was always only one way to go and that the game held your hand throughout the adventure and it really takes away from the game. Had they allowed free roaming and everything was not so closed off it would have been a much better experience. One of the major things that I disliked regarding the game and turning off the hint system didn't really help because the camera always pans to where you have to go.

Overall I loved the game and truly hope a sequel happens. I fully recommend anyone that owns a PS3 to buy this game. It's fresh, unique and most importantly is a real blast and fun to play. Best gaming experience of the year for me.

I rate it personally a 9.4/10

Madman

Crushed said:
Oh shit are you serious.

You better go tell the mods or something. He must be one of those juniors that got in.
Yeah, but given the guy's history, one would almost think he is sanctioned to conduct such activity. But this is pure conspiracy theory here.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Speevy said:
He's never going to get banned from this forum because he doesn't really post at this forum, and his account is used for targeted flamebaiting (.e. calling Super Mario Galaxy "mediocre", making generalizations about all Nintendo fans, etc.) which I'm sure is quite the laugh riot in mod country.

Think of him like a Snatcher; he's actually dead, and his skin is worn by a group of soulless robots trying to dominate humanity.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
ND made enemies do certain things to make the game more playable. Crushing would be impossible if they didn't fall for nades. Their numbers are too great with that level of coordination. Vitals are definitely smaller targets... or at least seems so to my eye. Hence it takes like 4-5 shots center-mass to put a guy down, but only one headshot. It's hard to line up clean shots on Crushing during hectic fights. I prefer to empty a clip into a target to put them down now, and I'm forced to use blind-fire.

That's exactly how I approach crushing, if I can pull off the headshot I would do it but I wouldn't spend all day lining up the shot because Drake simply doesn't last long that way, sometimes I use blindfire just to slow a merc from trying to outflank my position, if I'm lucky I can take him out, or at least so I won't have to pop up for too long to finish him off, the shotgun blindfire is so crucial, making my shots count is so much more important on crushing. Playability is such important concept in game design I hope this spreads to other SCEA titles, Resistance and Ratchet obviously both have the playability factor, but I think Uncharted balanced playability and difficulty extremely well.

Judging by Drinky's post history, I am guessing the guy didn't even play the game. Hell, I bet he doesn't even have a PS3. At least that is what it looks like. His post show him as a 360/PC gamer. Hell, he has a hard on for Assassin's Creed (360).

His dx8 remarks are found in numerous threads about PS3 titles.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Wow, why do people care so much what he says? Just play the game and enjoy it, let him talk shit if he wants its his opinion, i know ill certainly enjoy it when i get it (FUCKING PAL RELEASE DATES.) But thats a whole other point.

edit: To put it in other words, ive learned to block out the posts that make no sense to me.

a troll? i'm just sittin' here, smirking as pale milksoft arms make limpwristed tossing motions in my direction. yes, i am a troll. of course i could not have spent a good ten hours with the very mediocre game they -- the sonybound -- needed beyond all reason to be excellent; oh no, i must be trolling them because i chose the rational, learned path rather than the leap of faith. i'm not here to buttress anyone's half-assed fandom, peeps. uncharted is a mediocre game. iit's not much of a technical masterpiece, unless you conflate high contrast and dither/scatter noise with detail, or dx9-era normal maps with a real lighting model; and its hardly a masterpiece of gameplay, either, unless you really think that summing 1/3rd of that recent next-gen lara croft game that shall not be named -- and the easy, weak, less elegant bits of it at that -- with a shiftier, jankier take on gears of war stop-and-popping equals something greater. me, it just makes me roll my eyes twice as hard, and wonder when naughty dog is gonna take toss out the kitchen sink for something a little more modern. and jesus: could that facial modeling and animation find the uncanny valley located in ozarkia? yikes0rz!

and let's not go into the dialogue. or the awful explosions. or the last fifth of the game.5/10. there is no room for discussion. i'm not even sure you fruits have the language to discuss quality game design and development.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Drinky Crow said:
a troll? i'm just sittin' here, smirking as pale milksoft arms make limpwristed tossing motions in my direction. yes, i am a troll. of course i could not have spent a good ten hours with the very mediocre game they -- the sonybound -- needed beyond all reason to be excellent; oh no, i must be trolling them because i chose the rational, learned path rather than the leap of faith. i'm not here to buttress anyone's half-assed fandom, peeps. uncharted is a mediocre game. iit's not much of a technical masterpiece, unless you conflate high contrast and dither/scatter noise with detail, or dx9-era normal maps with a real lighting model; and its hardly a masterpiece of gameplay, either, unless you really think that summing 1/3rd of that recent next-gen lara croft game that shall not be named -- and the easy, weak, less elegant bits of it at that -- with a shiftier, jankier take on gears of war stop-and-popping equals something greater. me, it just makes me roll my eyes twice as hard, and wonder when naughty dog is gonna take toss out the kitchen sink for something a little more modern. and jesus: could that facial modeling and animation find the uncanny valley located in ozarkia? yikes0rz!

and let's not go into the dialogue. or the awful explosions. or the last fifth of the game.5/10. there is no room for discussion. i'm not even sure you fruits have the language to discuss quality game design and development.

now i know this is a joke post.

DevelopmentArrested said:
So, no biased answers but is this game + Ratchet worth buying a PS3 for this Christmas?

I would honestly say no if that's all you are interested in. Both are great games, and at least Ratchet is extremely replayable, but you're really looking at about 20 hours of entertainment here. Is that worth $520 to you?

However, it's a much harder decision if Ratchet + Uncharted + Blu-ray means something to you. Otherwise, I'd just wait until Ratchet + Uncharted + MGS4 or whatever big 2008 game pushes you over the fence.

And this is coming from a guy who would put Ratchet over Mario (based on 20 stars in, though it could change :)).

Speevy

Banned
Now you're just ruining a perfectly good topic.

i'm not even sure you fruits have the language to discuss quality game design and development.

Um...apparently no one does. Start your own magazine.

vpance

I heard if you press Up, Down, 360 swivel left analog, start at the menu screen you can get DX9.0c level normal maps

the explosions? the large-scale explosions are an animated transparent bitmap with a few particle effects -- if there's any volume modifiers, i didn't spot 'em. the smaller barrel explosions are silly pyroclastic animations that do not so much resemble a cinematic explosion as they do a cartoon volcano. please refer to call of duty 4 or the dx10 version of company of heroes for proper explosions. thank you!

Speevy

Banned
Tiduz said:
now i know this is a joke post.

Stop arguing with him. He keeps criticizing things that are flaws in Gears (like baked lighting) and I don't know what the TR Legends he played. But either way, you're just going to get more "I'm a more worthwhile human being." language from this parody of a poster.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I like how he pretends he knows the difference between DX9 and DX10.

Top Bottom