• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

the_id

how many skins are there for the game? i know there's the donut and the pirate one. anybody managed to get elena or sullivan's skin?

Kittonwy

Banned
the_id said:
how many skins are there for the game? i know there's the donut and the pirate one. anybody managed to get elena or sullivan's skin?

Cartoon Drake, Sullivan, Elena, Gabriel Roman, Atoq Navarro, Pirate, Eddy Raja, Wetsuit Drake, Naughty Dog Drake, Baseball shirt Drake.

I wonder if I've missed one.
Indifferent2.gif

Speevy said:
Yes it does. What games ARE you playing that put Uncharted in the category of "not really a keeper"?

Try harder.

i'm sorry -- is this an OFFICIAL thread about games other than UNCHARTED? would you like it to be about other games? i'll share, if you're prepared for the derailment. on the other hand, i gave you plenrty of concrete, observable reasons as to why it "isn't really a keeper."

Zen

Banned
Do I just need to get more medal points to unlock more content, or is there some special criteria for things like the Villain skins?

Oh look, a joke character who's not actually funny.

Drinkly < Gahgigidy.

Kittonwy said:
Cartoon Drake, Sullivan, Elena, Gabriel Roman, Atoq Navarro, Pirate, Eddy Raja, Wetsuit Drake, Naughty Dog Drake, Baseball shirt Drake.

I wonder if I've missed one.
Indifferent2.gif

Donut Drake

Whatever, there are a ton of people who disagree with you about this game. Hell, the lowest score by a website or publication is 8/10, which means your .5/10 really doesn't mean anything. Go find another thread to troll.

Speevy

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
i'm sorry -- is this an OFFICIAL thread about games other than UNCHARTED? would you like it to be about other games? i'll share, if you're prepared for the derailment. on the other hand, i gave you plenrty of concrete, observable reasons as to why it "isn't really a keeper."

That's really up to you. You've already derailed the thread enough with your negativity, but you're definitely going to lose footing by bringing up other console games.

So...yeah, do whatever you came here to do. But you're pretty much in the minority on the visuals statements you've brought up so far.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm mostly in agreement with Drinky, gunplay in Jak followed some pretty ludicrous rules, and here it's no different. Either you resign yourself to accepting the bobbing, respawning pirates that require a mammoth number of clip reserves to down, or you sift through the dozen of other more accomplished games currently released this quarter. Basically the demo is a pretty apt descriptor for the game in tow. I didn't like it then, and only the narrative context (and hell, achievement unlocks) are keeping me interested in the retail Uncharted to the end...which to say isn't much.

The **** Raider bits are barely worth mentioning on the box as a 'feature', and while visually it's sound, it doesn't surpass other titles available on competitor consoles. Like Heavenly Sword, it's something to play, but not something to remember.

Ratchet however...that's some good shooting fun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Speevy said:
That's really up to you. You've already derailed the thread enough with your negativity, but you're definitely going to lose footing by bringing up other console games.

So...yeah, do whatever you came here to do. But you're pretty much in the minority on the visuals statements you've brought up so far.

I think I've even seen Amir0x call this the best looking console game out.

Brandon F said:
Either you resign yourself to accepting the bobbing, respawning pirates that require a mammoth number of clip reserves to down, or you sift through the dozen of other more accomplished games currently released this quarter.

3 Shots/1headshot = entire clip? Aim better.

The **** Raider bits are barely worth mentioning on the box as a 'feature', and while visually it's sound, it doesn't surpass other titles available on competitor consoles.

Bullshit.

Speevy

Banned
I think the game is safely of the same caliber as Bioshock, Mass Effect, or Halo 3, or some other game on the Xbox 360. I don't think it's trolling to say that.

But Drinky's comments are pretty snide and unrelatable to anyone who's seen the game.

Zen

Banned
Brandon F said:
I'm mostly in agreement with Drinky, gunplay in Jak followed some pretty ludicrous rules, and here it's no different. Either you resign yourself to accepting the bobbing, respawning pirates that require a mammoth number of clip reserves to down, or you sift through the dozen of other more accomplished games currently released this quarter. Basically the demo is a pretty apt descriptor for the game in tow. I didn't like it then, and only the narrative context (and hell, achievement unlocks) are keeping me interested in the retail Uncharted to the end...which to say isn't much.

The **** Raider bits are barely worth mentioning on the box as a 'feature', and while visually it's sound, it doesn't surpass other titles available on competitor consoles. Like Heavenly Sword, it's something to play, but not something to remember.

Ratchet however...that's some good shooting fun.

The Gunplay is Jak had a far better auto lock than the one seen in any of the itterations of Ratchet, unless you're talking about something else.

If you have ammo problems in the game... not putting the basic effort expected of you in any other third person shooter. It's really that simple. There's tons of Ammo, and the only way you'd run short is if you, oh I don't know, didn't pick much up from the corpses of the enemies you killed, you know, the ones that come in swaths. Hell the only time I was strapped for Ammo was the market shootout, ever, in the game.

Enemies, all enemies, can be 1 shot killed with a headshot, or you can take them down in 2 to 3 hits, unless they're a shotgunner who has a vest and in such a case it's 4. Aim better, the enemies are far from damage sponges, and the only way you'd be emptying an entire clip would be blind firing or not aiming with a general competency.

kitch9

Banned
I'm 80% complete. There have been some sections where I have struggled to believe how good it looks.

One of the GOTY for me by a long shot, its fucking fabulous.

I can't make my mind up as to whether it topples GOW for initial wow factor or not, but its close.

Bravo ND, and Bravo Epic, for creating a benchmark that 12 months later is still hard to beat....

Madman said:
Guys, stop responding to him. He doesn't even make sure he's consistent. Just don't give him a reason to post.

I am starting to think that is best. People who spread misinformation piss me off though.

Brandon F said:
Either you resign yourself to accepting the bobbing, respawning pirates that require a mammoth number of clip reserves to down, or you sift through the dozen of other more accomplished games currently released this quarter.

A) The pirates don't respawn, that's just a lie, and shows you are ignorant of the gameplay in Uncharted. You want respawning enemies? Play COD4, not Uncharted. Uncharted doesn't have them.

B) Three shots to the body, or one shot to the head. That's what it takes to get a kill against the pirates in Uncharted. That's hardly a "mammoth number of clip reserves to down" and your statement that it does is just another flat-out lie that shows your ignorance of Uncharted's gameplay.

Pristine_Condition said:
A) The pirates don't respawn, that's just a lie, and shows you are ignorant of the gameplay in Uncharted. You want respawning enemies? Play COD4, not Uncharted. Uncharted doesn't have them.

B) Three shots to the body, or one shot to the head. That's what it takes to get a kill against the pirates in Uncharted. That's hardly a "mammoth number of clip reserves to down" and your statement that it does is just another flat-out lie that shows your ignorance of Uncharted's gameplay.

I agree, they do not respawn. They came from somewhere, not out of holes or appear out of thin air.

while i don't hold it against the game, i do find it funny that a game that attempts to mold itself after a hollywood globetrotting adventure title hews so narrowly to last-gen stop-and-pop mechanics and has the lead it poses (yet fails to deliver) as a likable and clever rogue rack up a rambo-esque bodycount

kitch9

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
fanboys concoct all sorts of crazy scenarios in their head based on anecdotal or wholly misinterpreted observations. that's what makes them fanboys: cognitive dissonance on parade.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but I critic my games from how much I enjoy playing them.

Games have scripted AI, and bollox, because without them they would be boring and shit. You have to forget that you aren't playing real life, and realise that the devs are sending you on a journey for your money.

Did I enjoy playing the SAS in COD4, and trying to stop a nuclear attack, regardless of how "far fetched" our governments make us believe it is?

Hell yes!

Did I enjoy jumping across massive casams's in Uncharted, and opening shitty doors after looking at a shitty book?

Hell yes!

I ain't a fanboy, I just like playing good games. Uncharted is a good game, simple as that.

hey, i prefer scripted ai -- i haven't complained about uncharted's ai, although i took issue with the rosy goggled set that likes to think it's anything other than par for the genre.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Drinky Crow said:
while i don't hold it against the game, i do find it funny that a game that attempts to mold itself after a hollywood globetrotting adventure title hews so narrowly to last-gen stop-and-pop mechanics and has the lead it poses (yet fails to deliver) as a likable and clever rogue rack up a rambo-esque bodycount

That woulda worked better if you said

"the lead it poses (yet fails to deliver) as a likable and clever REGULAR GUY rack up a rambo-esque bodycount"

Drinky Crow said:

I really didn't do much stop-and-pop until this gen, starting with GOW then R6:Vegas and now Uncharted. I could be wrong, not to say that it is an amazing mechanic because it is next-gen, simply that it is next-gen.

YYZ

Drinky Crow said:
perhaps it would have, indeed
so is it true you used to be some kind of admin/writer/mod/contributer to Gaming-Age or NeoGAF?

Lightning said:
Did anyone else later in the game find
those zombies hard? They killed me dozens of times, especially in the Generator room.
for those guys just run and gun, don't press L1 to aim at them.

SSM25

Playing the game in hard right now, almost all treasures completed.....WOW!!! I'm still amazed by the graphics!!!!.....nothing on all the consoles I own comes close at this beautiful game. Is there a way do get the OST?, the music is amazing!!

Speevy

Banned
One thing I do agree with Drinky on is that the game would be more compelling with a smaller number of widely varied enemies.

Madman

Lightning said:
Did anyone else later in the game find
those zombies hard? They killed me dozens of times, especially in the Generator room.
Not sure considering not everyone, including myself, has played the game.

Watch the spoilers FFS.

I usually find Drinky to be insightful in his criticism, but here he seems to be trying too hard to write the game off as "Generic" doesn't wring true. I understood and found his complaints against Ratchet reasonable, but this? I don't doubt his sincerity but it doesn't feel like he thought his issues with the game through very carefully before railing against the GAF-census.

And complaining about the AI? They take cover and work as a group as well as I've seen in a game before. Sure there were times where one would commit suicide with a grenade but other than that I found them more than formidable.

Thread derailment or not I'd like him to list the games he feels are better and how they do it better. Maybe it'll give us a better idea where he's going with this.

typhonsentra said:
I usually find Drinky to be insightful in his criticism, but here he seems to be trying too hard to write the game off as "Generic" doesn't wring true. I understood and found his complaints against Ratchet reasonable, but this? I don't doubt his sincerity but it doesn't feel like he thought his issues with the game through very carefully before railing against the GAF-census.

And complaining about the AI? They take cover and work as a group as well as I've seen in a game before. Sure there were times where one would commit suicide with a grenade but other than that I found them more than formidable.

Thread derailment or not I'd like him to list the games he feels are better and how they do it better. Maybe it'll give us a better idea where he's going with this.

that are directly comparable? i'd rather play the <game with ****s one raids> anniversary edition for my ruin-exploring and platforming jones, and rainbow six vegas for my cover-oriented stop-and-pop shenanigans. i didn't ask for a game to wed weaker takes on those two particular mechanics, although i'll concede that it is one of the few titles to do so.

as for better games -- as in random games i enjoyed more this year? take it to pm, or start another thread.

How is it weaker though? What's wrong with the cover system/combat?

And you seem to be pretty critical of the game on the technical end too. What games right now are more impressive to you?

Lightning said:
Did anyone else later in the game find those
zombies hard? They killed me dozens of times, especially in the Generator room.

Change your post to look like this dude. Practice a little common courtesy.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Speevy said:
Also, did he just criticize Uncharted for using light maps?
He'd need to know what the term means first to be able to use it as critique.
But writting style of posts under Drinky account mandates a minimum of 20 words per each politically correct swear, so whatever gets lumped together will work, as long as the word count is maintained.

bh7812

Banned
Finally was able to rent this yesterday...WOW, so far it's been one awesome white knuckle ride, enjoying Uncharted very much! Definitely some very intense moments so far! VERY impressive visuals. Going to try to get through the game if possible. I'm having an easy time with the shooting sections control wise. You really do need to keep moving and find cover where ever possible. But overall, really enjoying it so far :)

Zen

Banned
If you know what a lightmap is you'd know that Uncharted doesn't use them. Because you'd know how to spot a unified lighting model, or at least when lighting is dynamic, which you don't because you're a common gutter troll.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
My point was mainly about bringing lightmaps up as some kind of dirty laundry list to prove a point about visuals.

Considering that certain 360 game with best visuals of 2006 used almost exclusively static lighting and shadowing, and that was 3 years after the "unified lighting revolution" that Doom3 was supposed to bring, not to mention hundreds of unified dynamic lighting games in last and this gen.
Yet not only people didn't complain about it, even the likes of Drinky didn't try listing it as negatives - it was just accepted as good looking.

Also worth mentioning is that most dynamically shadowed games this gen have horrendous image quality problems, one of the worst being 360 ports of Drinky's favourite **** raiding adventures.

That said, I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at Uncharted yet, but yea, videos gave me the impression of there being a lack of static lighting/shadowing techniques.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One technical curiosity about the game - despite there not being any permanent install file on HDD, and the game box claiming it only needs a "minimum of 2.5MB of HDD space", the HDD light is *constantly* blinking while playing the game, especially if you keep progressing and something new needs to be loaded. I wonder what exactly is the game doing in this sense, and if it's doing so much with HDD, where's all that data saved after you quit the game.

Playing through the game again, the ever-animated super-highres global shadows keep impressing over and over. Ninja Theory, and well just about all other console devs who are trying to make global/animated/soft shadowing like this, will have to pay attention and figure out how it's done. Hell, shadows aside, the whole thing is one such amazing and polished engine, the likes of which I've never seen before.

The most amazing thing is that besides the occasional texture load-in after continuing the game (which they could have easily masked by a 2-3 seconds longer loading black screen) it all comes off as not even sweating the hardware, which is obviously far from truth, but that's how effortless it all seems.

Crusade

Drinky Crow said:
that are directly comparable? i'd rather play the <game with ****s one raids> anniversary edition for my ruin-exploring and platforming jones, and rainbow six vegas for my cover-oriented stop-and-pop shenanigans. i didn't ask for a game to wed weaker takes on those two particular mechanics, although i'll concede that it is one of the few titles to do so.

as for better games -- as in random games i enjoyed more this year? take it to pm, or start another thread.
Uncharted does it's platforming better than **** Raider and it's cover better than Vegas so I don't know what you're getting at

Top Bottom