• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just finished chapter 4, and the combat is really ramping up now. I know it's still early, but are there any extended periods of just exploration/puzzle solving without a ton of gunfighting? Also, the environments are pretty amazing, I caught myself standing idle, and just spinning the camera around to look at everything numerous times already. So far I''m really liking the game a lot, glad I decided to pick it up.

zoku88

I just beat this game a few moments ago (I'm still on the credits, heh.) Nice ride, this one was. I raelly like the music in the last chapter.

purgeface said:
Just finished chapter 4, and the combat is really ramping up now. I know it's still early, but are there any extended periods of just exploration/puzzle solving without a ton of gunfighting? Also, the environments are pretty amazing, I caught myself standing idle, and just spinning the camera around to look at everything numerous times already. So far I''m really liking the game a lot, glad I decided to pick it up.

No. You get about 5 minutes maximum of platforming in between combat, and there is very little actual exploration or puzzle solving in the whole game. The only real exploration is to go slightly off the main path to find some of the treasures.

This essentially sums up my biggest complaints about the game, especially since I didn't find combat as engaging as most people in this thread.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
purgeface said:
I think the single biggest stretch of exploration in the game is chapter 2-3, which you've already passed. That's not to say there's no exploration later on, but I don't think it ever lasts for as long as that part.

Crusade

I loved the game, but I can see so much that can be done with it in Uncharted 2. I hope they open it up a bit. Even though I really enjoyed it, it felt so linear for a Naughty Dog game. I dunno if they could really deliver a town hub where you get missions like Jak games, or if it would make any sense - but they need to work on opening it up. Especially with the platforming. The combat itself felt really varied and unique every time you play through. I'd like the same feeling out of the platforming.

For example I'd like to be able to use stealth like they hinted at in the first trailer. IMO, this should've been more of an optional stealth game rather than taking them head-on constantly (that's not really what Indy does after all). He's an average guy, so it'd make sense if he's trying to avoid firefights as much as possible. You could make some great optional moments too - try and get around the guards by deviating across a really treacherous and difficult platform area, while making sure you're not spotted - or take them head-on. It'd make all those moments where you do stuff up and a firefight becomes unavoidable more "oh shit." They can spice it up in many ways.

Give us multiplayer for the sequel too - talk to Insomniac or hire some of the Warhawk guys to get you started there, Naughty Dog :)

the_id

Marconelly said:
I think the single biggest stretch of exploration in the game is chapter 2-3, which you've already passed. That's not to say there's no exploration later on, but I don't think it ever lasts for as long as that part.

The Catacomb seemed long as well
Next Uncharted should have puzzles and platforming like God of War.

YYZ

The biggest thing they need to do is incorporate new puzzle mechanics instead of the old crank/pull/push. At the same time, they need combine puzzle/platforming/shooting all at the same time much like God of War does. Some puzzles need to be epic as well, and actually stump people. Incorporate some timing into the platforming, don't just make it ledge to ledge or platform to platform where I'm just pushing X.
The shooting is ok to me, along with everything else.

I don't think branching exploration is important in such a heavily story-driven game. People will search one area then have to backtrack? No thanks.

Atrus

Gold Member
I would have opted to ask for puzzles like those in Kings Quest VI (as seen in the Isle of the Sacred Mountain) and other Sierra adventures. God of War has too many time wasting block pushing puzzles.

In a perfect world, Uncharted 2 would have The Longest Journey style puzzles which really had the player try to understand what a long lost civilization was doing, but it would be much too hard to be mainstream.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the_id said:
The Catacomb seemed long as well
Next Uncharted should have puzzles and platforming like God of War.
Ah yes, I forgot that part - that was a rather long exploration stretch too.

I think platforming in Uncharted is better than in both GoW games, but yeah, I hope the sequel includes an optional 'hard' difficulty level for puzzles. Why should only the action portion have difficulty level selection?

YYZ said:
Incorporate some timing into the platforming, don't just make it ledge to ledge or platform to platform where I'm just pushing X.
There's timing required for some parts (like vine-jumping or the
collapsing bridge at chapter 3
) I'm not sure if they'd need more. Sections like that can get pretty frustrating and easy to screw up even when you're versed in gameplay.

llTll

Banned
i have had this game for while now. didnt play more than 30 mins. i went back to COD4 and Halo 3 online [ COD4 offline /online as i didnt finish the game yet ]

i just wanted to buy it to show the support i have for the developers and Sony. its a stunning and amazing game, its just i am hooked right now playing online. so i am going to play this pretty abit later. there is sitll also unreal 3 i want to buy on PS3. god damn it. i cant play all :/

Crusade

YYZ said:
The biggest thing they need to do is incorporate new puzzle mechanics instead of the old crank/pull/push. At the same time, they need combine puzzle/platforming/shooting all at the same time much like God of War does. Some puzzles need to be epic as well, and actually stump people. Incorporate some timing into the platforming, don't just make it ledge to ledge or platform to platform where I'm just pushing X.
The shooting is ok to me, along with everything else.

I don't think branching exploration is important in such a heavily story-driven game. People will search one area then have to backtrack? No thanks.
No, exploration doesn't have to require any backtracking at all. You can present multiple alternate branches that all come to the same area eventually (maybe even through different entry points). There are many ways to present exploration and variety in a linear game. An example could be how MGS3 did it, every area had at least two seperate paths and lots of branching points that allow you to take out enemies or approach your goal in different ways

YYZ

good point.

Knowing Naughty Dog, the next game will actually be a unanimous 9.0+

Just don't have an identity crisis please.

DarKaoZ

Banned
Man... Naughty Dog did a great job on this game, but there are some stuff that I think they could had implemented to make the experiences as ONE want it, also there are some details on the dialog that they could had improved, but overall is damn great. Yet I will post what I thought that could be improved:

1. Puzzles Difficulty Selection, Imagine been able to select the Difficulty you wanted the Puzzles to be, if you really like hard puzzles you pick the ¨hard¨option, you just want to go and pass them with no much brain in work you pick ¨easy¨. Also that should affect the amount of puzzles one should see in the game, giving it way more replay value.

2. In-game chats, there are some parts where the characters didn't sound like their selfs, or at least like they did on the cutscenes. Example: In one of the last puzzles, the one of the Roman Numbers, there is an elevator that Drake gets on and it falls down and he doesn't say much, I should had expected something like ¨Oh god... that was scary¨ or ¨I thought I was going to die¨. But no, he didn't say much, so that was a bit disappointing. There are other certain scenes that he could had said something more funny or better, but I cant recall them.

3. Menu screen, seriously... I expected it to be more ¨creative¨, like a desk full of stuff, like maps, compass, a video camera, etc etc. And you browse around it to select each part of the game. Dunno, that should had gave the game a huge extra IMO, is functional, but I should had love to see something more interesting.

4. No real-time in-game engine Cutscenes, well they use In-game engine, but they are not real time, so you cant see Drake with a different custom in the cutscenes. I know some of them shouldn´t had worked fine, but I don´t care, I should had love to see Fat Drake trying to jump off the the plane.

5. Enemies Skins, when I first saw the option of ENEMIES CUSTOMS, I though that you could change the skin of the Enemies to all Pirates, etc etc. But they were for Drake, yet after realizing this, I now think that having the Enemies change of Skin should had been way more fun to see.

Hmmm... that is it, the rest is perfect, definitely GOTY for me.

gray_fox224

Just finished it.

Few thoughts.

1. I love the writing.

2. I think Nathan is good character. I like him, it fit well.

3. Can't wait for the next one =)

gray_fox224 said:
Just finished it.

Few thoughts.

1. I love the writing.

2. I think Nathan is good character. I like him, it fit well.

3. Can't wait for the next one =)

That is what it is all about. I can't wait for the sequel either!

bridegur

Is there a chance Naughty Dog could be working on two games at a time, opening up the possibility for another Jak game in addition to the Uncharted series?

zoku88 said:
Idk, Uncharted 2 would seem like a cheap Disney sequel, unless they used an entirely new cast.

New cast? What? I want all of the main players back doing voice work. I would also love to have Greg Edmonson back to do the Score. I hope I am reading what you are saying wrong.

zoku88

cjtiger300 said:
New cast? What? I want all of the main players back doing voice work. I would also love to have Greg Edmonson back to do the Score. I hope I am reading what you are saying wrong.
New cast as in new characters. I guess they could keep the voice cast, but that would seem a little odd. I meant, Drake's story seems a little finished. The only reason he cared as much as he did about this fortune was because of Sir Francis Drake.
The three of them escaped with a lot of treasure. What more would they really do?

Crusade

bridegur said:
Is there a chance Naughty Dog could be working on two games at a time, opening up the possibility for another Jak game in addition to the Uncharted series?
No, Naughty Dog is a rather small team

gray_fox224

zoku88 said:
New cast as in new characters. I guess they could keep the voice cast, but that would seem a little odd. I meant, Drake's story seems a little finished. The only reason he cared as much as he did about this fortune was because of Sir Francis Drake.
The three of them escaped with a lot of treasure. What more would they really do?

Maybe Uncharted set in the ancient ruins of China?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Man, I was absolutely in love with Uncharted until the
vampire monster creature things
showed up. At that point, the game forgot some of the best parts before it were the platforming, quickly transforming into a repetitive shoot 'em up. The combat (that didn't involve the frustrating
creatures
-- they were terrible) was entertaining, sure, but not in such concentrated doses. Plus, it's a testament to the uselessness of the melee that the final fight in the game is completely melee-based, yet it's acted out as a QTE event. Yikes.

Can't wait for a sequel, though. And by God, that game was gorgeous.

dralla

Yea, the
creatures weren't all that exciting to fight. But I did like the change in pace of the combat since it was starting to wear thin at that point. I liked the concept of the statue being cursed and Francis Drake trying to keep it locked away as opposed to trying to steal it, I just wasn't feeling the creature design themselves. I would've liked to see something similar to the RE4 "zombies", still human-like but suicidal, possessed maniacs. The 4 legged dog design just made the fights un-interesting.

I liked the melee combat though, I used it quite a bit, which is why I recomend playing the game on Normal since it gives you the freedom to use it. Trying melee'ing on the Harder difficulties and you'll be gunned down pretty quick

zoku88 said:

My theory is,
someone is going to find Elena's camera and try to track down El Dorado

deepbrown

dammitmattt said:
No. You get about 5 minutes maximum of platforming in between combat, and there is very little actual exploration or puzzle solving in the whole game. The only real exploration is to go slightly off the main path to find some of the treasures.

This essentially sums up my biggest complaints about the game, especially since I didn't find combat as engaging as most people in this thread.
That's a lie....there are a few levels later that are just exploration.

Ripten Review said:
Here, the cutscenes aren’t a side spectacle from the game, they are more embedded into the gameplay experience. Much of the story is told while you’re in the game, since you are accompanied by Elena and Sully who provide incidental chatter as you traverse (with accompanying facial animation), smoothing off the transition from cutscene to gameplay.
While we’re on the subject of the game’s pacing, lets just say that Naughty Dog’s age and expertise shows here. It might be a bit over the top to say that Uncharted is the best paced game you’ll play this year, but Uncharted is the best paced game you’ll have played this year.
The level design here is second to none. Each environment is so well designed and varied that most developers would be happy to use just one of them for their whole game

Plus, there is no loading in the game. Zero loading, nothing at all after the initial load. Want to skip a cutscene and carry on playing? You’ll be put right back into the game environment. Keep on dying? Well you’ll respawn at a handy automatic save point, immediately. So if we have to suffer a little bit of texture pop on a couple of the many levels, then so be it. I’ve seen worse.

Moreover, the textures in the game are a step up for consoles. Every surface is painted with a collection of distinct textures, meaning a wall not only has a brick texture, it has a dry moss texture, a shiny painted surface, sections broken off revealing the cement below, and it’ll look wet if it’s by water.

Uncharted has great textures. So what? Well Gears of War is lauded as a graphical show piece mainly due to both its artistic vision and its high resolution textures. Uncharted, however, trumps Gears of War, for the sheer amount of unique texture surfaces, even when in similar dark sections.

Shadows that are crisp like potato chips, unlike other games that have jaggy or flickering shadows.

There will be a lot of encounters, but what makes these fire fights so compelling is the enemy and companion A.I.

The pirates have been on the coffee that’s for sure (apart from the fat shotgun guys). They’ll take cover like you, and if you hang back too much they’ll either come charging after you, or they’ll throw a well placed grenade to flush you out. You’ll be on your toes the whole time, but the key to success is locating all the enemies, and being mobile. Don’t be passive, you must be active.

With the A.I. being so clever, and incredibly active in Hard (and Crushing), each firefight is going to play out differently – especially when you have a limited amount of bullets.

the games finale could have been more epic if it incorporated some platforming to continue the battle, since it feels slightly simplistic,

Before we conclude, lets make this very clear. This ain’t no **** Raider! Drake isn’t Lara Croft. He can’t do somersaults, doesn’t have disproportionately large knockers (oh well), and he doesn’t suck at shooting.

The isolation felt in Lara’s world, isn’t felt here. You have companions, you have non-stop action, and you have a likeable character, with the English taking their rightful place as the villain, not the protagonist (that’s coming from a Brit). Plus Drake is far more attractive *wink*.

:lol

http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/01/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review/

Oh and here's another review, not as well written...BUT gives it 10/10 :p http://www.*****************/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=825754

Ceb

One thing I don't understand is how Elena's camera has 32 mins of battery life left when she shows you
Sully boarding Roman's chopper
, but when she's seen filming earlier in the area, the indicator is at 31 mins left. It doesn't make any sense why she'd wait so long to show you that footage.

Ceb

Wollan said:
Battery Life gauge usually flicker back and forward a few min sometimes.

Yeah, I figured it might've been due to that. I guess I underestimated ND's sense for details. :lol

Kosma

Banned
Finished it :(

My thoughts on the ending & final stretch of the game:
I died more times on the last boat then any other area in the game, the final showdown with Navarro was a little underwhelming The ending itself was really good and left me satisfied.

Bring on Uncharted 2 please.

Wishlist:
1. Few more puzzles, that are harder.
2. More platforming.
3. Add MP because the game has the right mechanics for it.
4. More Eddy Raja.

antiloop

DarKaoZ said:
4. No real-time in-game engine Cutscenes, well they use In-game engine, but they are not real time, so you cant see Drake with a different custom in the cutscenes. I know some of them shouldn´t had worked fine, but I don´t care, I should had love to see Fat Drake trying to jump off the the plane.

It would have been nice but they are not real-time because ND wanted to load stuff in the background.

Pimpwerx

Drinky is just stirring the pot. I didn't know his shtick would rile up Sony fans so much since he's usually targeted the Nintendo and MS crowd in the past. Basically he just wants to get a rise out of everyone in this thread, and doesn't actually believe what he's typing. I think he worked for MS in the past, so he's actually got some coding skill. Don't let the act fool you, guys. The game stands on its own merits, it doesn't need this kind of defense. I only addressed his comments about enemy damage b/c I know it's come up legitimately before, and I've definitely noticed a difference since stepping up to Crushing. But it's not that they take more damage, just that it's harder to dish out a lot of it before getting your head blown off. PEACE.

quetz67

Banned
I love it. Got the game from videgamesplus.ca for about 60 Euros, played through it, now it is on ebay and already at 74 Euros.

Will get the game again later, will play through it one more time when I have my HDTV.

oo Kosma oo said:
Wishlist:
1. Few more puzzles, that are harder.
2. More platforming.
3. Add MP because the game has the right mechanics for it.
4. More Eddy Raja.
1. yep
2. I found the amount of platforming perfect.
3. Coop multiplayer of course
4. Wouldnt the same main character be enough? Or how about buying Naughty Dog the Indiana Jones licence for this, Sony?

5. make it (just a little) less linear, felt too much on rails, most treasures where too easy to find, add some hidden pathes/areas that give some nice extras.
6. more vehicle sequences
7. A little more different environments would be fine (though those in the game were more than awesome, those level arhcihtexts/3D and texture artist have some insane skills)

supermackem said:
Just finished this great it was a bit short took 7 hours 15 mins to finish. The only niggle i noticed was pretty bad texture loading ala halo 2 cut scenes.
didnt notice that at all

Just finished this great it was a bit short took 7 hours 15 mins to finish. The only niggle i noticed was pretty bad texture loading ala halo 2 cut scenes.

Kittonwy

Banned
Crusade said:
I loved the game, but I can see so much that can be done with it in Uncharted 2. I hope they open it up a bit. Even though I really enjoyed it, it felt so linear for a Naughty Dog game. I dunno if they could really deliver a town hub where you get missions like Jak games, or if it would make any sense - but they need to work on opening it up. Especially with the platforming. The combat itself felt really varied and unique every time you play through. I'd like the same feeling out of the platforming.

For example I'd like to be able to use stealth like they hinted at in the first trailer. IMO, this should've been more of an optional stealth game rather than taking them head-on constantly (that's not really what Indy does after all). He's an average guy, so it'd make sense if he's trying to avoid firefights as much as possible. You could make some great optional moments too - try and get around the guards by deviating across a really treacherous and difficult platform area, while making sure you're not spotted - or take them head-on. It'd make all those moments where you do stuff up and a firefight becomes unavoidable more "oh shit." They can spice it up in many ways.

Give us multiplayer for the sequel too - talk to Insomniac or hire some of the Warhawk guys to get you started there, Naughty Dog :)

Good god no hub-based world/mission bullshit please, one of the worst things in game design ever, it's an action-adventure game with a tight narrative, not a fucking errand boy game.
Indifferent2.gif

zoku88 said:

That wouldn't make sense. You build a franchise off of the strength of the Characters. They shouldn't throw aside what they have done. I hope they keep all of the key characters and somehow find a way to give us more Raja!

Kittonwy said:
Good god no hub-based world/mission bullshit please, one of the worst things in game design ever, it's an action-adventure game with a tight narrative, not a fucking errand boy game.
Indifferent2.gif
Agreed rawr! I love how the island is basically one long level you are working through. Leave the mission hub to ducktales.

Kittonwy

Banned
quetz67 said:
4. Wouldnt the same main character be enough? Or how about buying Naughty Dog the Indiana Jones licence for this, Sony?

That's the worst fucking slap in the face you can give Naughty Dog as a game developer, basically you're suggesting that they're better off not designing their own characters but instead become a fucking second tier dev that gets farmed a movie franchise license. I fucking hate this kind of mentality. Every game Naughty Dog makes with that fucking license Lucas Arts would get a cut when it could have gone to Naughty Dog, everytime Naughty Dog wants to do something with the characters they have to get the ok from Lucas Arts. Top tier developers make their own franchises, that's the kind of developer Naughty Dog is, they don't do farmed franchise bullshit.
Indifferent2.gif

Crusade

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
Yeah that's why I was thinking it wouldn't work. But still, Uncharted is really, really linear compared to ND's past games

Kittonwy

Banned
bridegur said:

I doubt they want to do another Jak game, the Jak series is more associated with Rubin/Gavin/Arey/White age, and that is already over, Uncharted is more Hennig/Lemarchand/Wells/Balestra's stamp on the team, it's the work of the people who are left from the Rubin era plus all the new people who are now working there, Jak is more of a legacy, I hope they just avoid the fuck out of it because Uncharted is a better franchise anyway. I know people want to see the whole pixar cartoon bullshit realized but that's not Naughty Dog's job, they're here to make good games, and Uncharted is a leap forward from what they were doing with Jak, much tighter narrative, much more focused, polished gameplay, much more likeable characters, better voice-acting and dialogue.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Crusade said:
Yeah that's why I was thinking it wouldn't work. But still, Uncharted is really, really linear compared to ND's past games

Yeah you can't really have a tight narrative without having some linearity along the way, the game moves you quickly from one scenario to another and keeps you playing, that's the kind of game Uncharted is, not a hub sandbox game where you run errands, I really don't want to go to so and so for some stupid mission to get a "favor" done and then go to some other jerkwad for another favor.

Kittonwy

Banned
zoku88 said:
Idk, Uncharted 2 would seem like a cheap Disney sequel, unless they used an entirely new cast.

A cheap disney sequel is one that introduces some stupid new character that Disney is trying to push on the audience because they can't come up with a way to continue the storyline, and that the original characters aren't worth giving a shit about, this is not the case with Uncharted.

quetz67

Banned
Kittonwy said:
That's the worst fucking slap in the face you can give Naughty Dog as a game developer, basically you're suggesting that they're better off not designing their own characters but instead become a fucking second tier dev that gets farmed a movie franchise license. I fucking hate this kind of mentality. Every game Naughty Dog makes with that fucking license Lucas Arts would get a cut when it could have gone to Naughty Dog, everytime Naughty Dog wants to do something with the characters they have to get the ok from Lucas Arts. Top tier developers make their own franchises, that's the kind of developer Naughty Dog is, they don't do farmed franchise bullshit.
Indifferent2.gif
I dont get it, games dont necessarily go down the drain only because they have a movie licence.

And while Uncharted is a great game, as a movie it would probably go as a B-movie. The tech is great but I cant see how support from a company experienced in movie making would make things worse.

The characters in Uncharted are OK, but character and story development is a pretty small part in game development and sure not defining the company.

Kittonwy

Banned
quetz67 said:
I dont get it, games dont necessarily go down the drain only because they have a movie licence.

And while Uncharted is a great game, as a movie it would probably go as a B-movie. The tech is great but I cant see how support from a company experienced in movie making would make things worse.

The characters in Uncharted are OK, but character and story development is a pretty small part in game development and sure not defining the company.

Go play BEOWULF. GO PLAY SPIDERMAN 3. Shoo.

Most videogames wouldn't make good movies. Heck most MOVIES nowadays wouldn't make good movies. Wait, what's your point again?

Their characters are their own, their game development process is their own, they're working with a lot of freedom as a first-party developer that can more or less do what they want. Why the fuck would Naughty Dog want to surrender control over to fucking GEORGE LUCAS of all people? That's not what top-tier developers do, and I'm not sure why SCEA would want to PAY for the Indy license, PAY for Harrison Ford and other expensive Hollywood talent, when they already have something better on the gaming side, without breaking the bank, money that can go towards marketing or better yet, back into Naughty Dog.

Let Lucas Arts make a fucking mess of their own Indy game franchise, leave Naughty Dog alone, they made an amazing IP with charming characters and a good story, they don't need the creative restrictions of working with a licensed IP. Go wait for Lucas Arts Indy game or something.
Indifferent2.gif

quetz67

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Go play BEOWULF. GO PLAY SPIDERMAN 3. Shoo.
I rather go and play Goldeneye

and I would rather see a Naughty Dog Indiana Jones than some LucasArts internal team Indiana Jones...but tastes are different

Kittonwy

Banned
quetz67 said:
I rather go and play Goldeneye

and I would rather see a Naughty Dog Indiana Jones than some LucasArts internal team Indiana Jones...but tastes are different

You're getting a Lucas Arts Internal team Indy game whether you like it or not.

Indifferent2.gif

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
QFT.

Top Bottom